Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Finally I can say Tracer is gay and be right in every sense of the word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Does this game just feel sorry for you after a while and gift you a play of the game? I've had lots of moments where I killed a bunch of guys and helped secure a point to win and I felt like THIS IS IT GONNA GET IT. But nope, I get it on a losing team with two kills that had no impact and had me missing most of my shots.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Draxamus posted:

Does this game just feel sorry for you after a while and gift you a play of the game? I've had lots of moments where I killed a bunch of guys and helped secure a point to win and I felt like THIS IS IT GONNA GET IT. But nope, I get it on a losing team with two kills that had no impact and had me missing most of my shots.

This means that you were playing with 9 other pretty bad players.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Draxamus posted:

The POTG does give it to some really :confused: choices some times (a Reaper simply shooting like 3 people in a row), but whatever automatic thing figures out POTG it'll prioritize environmental kills. So you could see a super lackluster play where a lucio kills 2 people and that's it, but he also booped em off the edge so it considers that a big deal.

The POTG thing is cool and it's a really unique thing for this game and most of the time I'm impressed by what it can automatically do but there are plenty of times where a clutch play by one player doesn't result in a bunch of kills or a massive rez but ends up super turning the tide and it won't get even a highlight. Ana is especially a victim of this since "shutdowns" have to have the player being killed, not just stopped. I've saved my team dozens of times by using Ana's sleep dart to stop an ult right before it's about to go off and wipe the team but it doesn't even get saved as a highlight. Blizzard might want to consider doing something about that. Also give me POTG when I trap and ulting Winston as Junkrat, goddamnit. I do it all the time and then just grenade them to death as they helplessly sit there arms swinging unable to do anything.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also that dude would Soldier: 76's age by now

They should make Soldier 76 trans, that would really make heads explode

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

you should talk to "tech=savy" people something, lotta engineer types are real shitheads who don't know anything beyond their job but assume they are political/social geniuses

And talk about it loudly for hours on end while theyre "working".

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Not to mention business masterminds. They know how the product should be they don't need some drat manager going on about 'costs' and 'client expectations'.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

anybody wanna blast through these HOTS games to get the genji skin? I'm bored enough home from work today to consider this a Decent Use of Time

jski#1366

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tatsuta Age posted:

anybody wanna blast through these HOTS games to get the genji skin? I'm bored enough home from work today to consider this a Decent Use of Time

jski#1366

I pugged all 30 games in 3 easy sittings.

~Set game to VS AI (Beginner)
~Post LFG Genji Rush
~Friend everyone who joins your group
~Push Mid hard (or bot if there is no mid)
~gently caress the Ravenlord's Towers

The skin is super dope but good lord it sucks to play Genji now. He was my 'main' when i started but after getting good at so many heroes his kit just feels like... Super janky? Anyone else feels that way? Like, i just feel like I could be Pharah and like flying and blowing poo poo up and nt just slinking around throwing little stars and waiting to get murdered during my ult. (As Pharah obviously this last point also remains true)

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 22, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Theta Zero posted:

And I have no idea how that happened. Our D.Va was upset about me stealing their highlight of a quad kill for about an hour afterwards.

You probably got more fire points than she did. The quadkill is cool but if most of htem were already low hp...

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Bust Rodd posted:

I pugged all 30 games in 3 easy sittings.

~Set game to VS AI (Beginner)
~Post LFG Genji Rush
~Friend everyone who joins your group
~Push Mid hard (or bot if there is no mid)
~gently caress the Ravenlord's Towers

The skin is super dope but good lord it sucks to play Genji now. He was my 'main' when i started but after getting good at so many heroes his kit just feels like... Super janky? Anyone else feels that way? Like, i just feel like I could be Pharah and like flying and blowing poo poo up and nt just slinking around throwing little stars and waiting to get murdered during my ult. (As Pharah obviously this last point also remains true)

genji's fine he just sucks in the meta of 3 tanks and 2 healers doing more healing than genji can theoretically do if every attack is a crit

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kenshin posted:

They should make Soldier 76 trans, that would really make heads explode

it'd be interesting to see an FtM character in a mainstream video game, like, at all, ever

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it'd be interesting to see an FtM character in a mainstream video game, like, at all, ever

Krem from Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

exquisite tea posted:

Finally I can say Tracer is gay and be right in every sense of the word.

Gay as in she kisses girls or Gay as in "this loving gay rear end pixie won't stop shooting me in the back of the head loving kill her already"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Krem from Dragon Age: Inquisition.

i tried like three times, unsuccessfully, to make it through the first game so i never played the sequels :shobon:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Gay as in she kisses girls or Gay as in "this loving gay rear end pixie won't stop shooting me in the back of the head loving kill her already"

Exactly.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i tried like three times, unsuccessfully, to make it through the first game so i never played the sequels :shobon:

the first one's the best one by far so yeah don't bother trying again basically

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I liked Inquisition but I don't blame you.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I got all the way to the end sequence of the first game and decided I couldn't be arsed to even bother finishing the game because I didn't like it, so same.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I beat the first Dragon Age game and while I remember enjoying it, I also had zero desire to touch it or any of the sequels ever again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the 1st and 3rd games are good if you're into that type of game but the 2nd is bad no matter what

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Inquisition is by far the best in the series and definitely worth checking out. You don't need to play the first two either really.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Why do they insist on keeping overtime? The argument seems to be, "comebacks are cool", but if you lose the point in overtime 99-0 and then can't get it back and they go 99-100 after an overtime capture, the game takes twice as long and you feel like poo poo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's a bad argument because a) you deserve to feel like poo poo if you gently caress up that bad, and b) it feels awesome when you come back from 0-99 to winning the game. the losers' feelings aren't more valid than the winners and both team got what they earned from that game

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Manatee Cannon posted:

a) you deserve to feel like poo poo if you gently caress up that bad
No you don't. The other team just played like their lives didn't matter for once and went full on offense at the last second. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But if it does work, then they turned the tables completely.

quote:

b) it feels awesome when you come back from 0-99 to winning the game.
Nobody cares. I have said it since beta and I always will: Remove OT. I'd rather lose and get onto the next game than possibly win 99-0 comeback.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Overtime exists because definitive control over the point/payload should be a parameter for victory. If you can't completely rid the point of enemy players, why should the game act like you've won?

If OT didn't exist, you could win a KOTH round just by being first to capture and then butting heads equally for the rest of the match.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Every match should conclude with me winning.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Overtime exists because definitive control over the point/payload should be a parameter for victory. If you can't completely rid the point of enemy players, why should the game act like you've won?

If that was the reason overtime existed then the game would be won the instant everyone is removed from the point. The reason it exists is to facilitate comebacks.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Overtime is a good mechanic and this game wouldn't be as fun or exciting without it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Supercar Gautier posted:

If OT didn't exist, you could win a KOTH round just by being first to capture and then butting heads equally for the rest of the match.
The contrast to "if you go 99-0 and then lose you deserve to" is "if you're losing 99-0 you don't really deserve a comeback."

Wildtortilla posted:

Every match should conclude with me winning.
Again, I'd be fine losing if my team couldn't ever control the point in, I don't know whatever you want to call it, regulation time?

EDIT: I dunno if I miss CTF or what, but OT has always just felt like a "manufacturing tension" thing that lends itself to one team playing balls-out because death doesn't matter and the other team having to play really careful because it does.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Each sequel gets farther away from the gameplay of the first if that changes anything.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

The contrast to "if you go 99-0 and then lose you deserve to" is "if you're losing 99-0 you don't really deserve a comeback."

Again, I'd be fine losing if my team couldn't ever control the point in, I don't know whatever you want to call it, regulation time?

EDIT: I dunno if I miss CTF or what, but OT has always just felt like a "manufacturing tension" thing that lends itself to one team playing balls-out because death doesn't matter and the other team having to play really careful because it does.

if you get the comeback, you deserve the comback. if you fail to push the other team out in ot, where they have to be constantly touching the point to even keep in the game, you hosed up and earned your loss

if you're just mad that you're spending more time on the map then idk what to tell you but your problem with it probably isn't about balance or what should/should not happen in a fair game

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

KoB posted:

Each sequel gets farther away from the gameplay of the first if that changes anything.

I liked the gameplay well enough, I just didn't give a poo poo about the plot which is kinda fatal in a game of that style.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Inquisition takes the story in a different and imho more interesting direction than Ye Old Shite-Covered Englande. The main gripe against it is that it's got a lot of MMO-like collectathon filler, but I'm assuming many of you have already permanently damaged your brains via WoW and wouldn't mind. Dragon Age 2 is a game that literally only crazy people like.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hey, if you're just wanting a story then dragon age 2 is one that you can share with other people :v:

even the game is into that! like how the final boss will stun your entire party periodically to monologue at you so you don't accidentally kill it too fast to get the story. except the game is stupid and they didn't account for the warrior skill that makes you immune to stun, so one of my npcs would just be smacking the boss upside the head with a sword while it stood in place talking lol

KoB
May 1, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

hey, if you're just wanting a story then dragon age 2 is one that you can share with other people :v:

even the game is into that! like how the final boss will stun your entire party periodically to monologue at you so you don't accidentally kill it too fast to get the story. except the game is stupid and they didn't account for the warrior skill that makes you immune to stun, so one of my npcs would just be smacking the boss upside the head with a sword while it stood in place talking lol

You can still kill it too fast and it breaks everything, I had to restart and fight it again and not try too hard.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kenshin posted:

Overtime is a good mechanic and this game wouldn't be as fun or exciting without it.

I love the Overtime mechanic, and in fact I hate that they changed it from how it used to be. I hate the thing where the Overtime bar will go down faster the longer the Overtime goes on. I loved the intense fights for control on long Overtimes with even matches.

I also hate the crap where the countdown will still keep going even though the number hits zero. Just increase the amount of time on the timer, gently caress!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I love the Overtime mechanic, and in fact I hate that they changed it from how it used to be. I hate the thing where the Overtime bar will go down faster the longer the Overtime goes on. I loved the intense fights for control on long Overtimes with even matches.

I also hate the crap where the countdown will still keep going even though the number hits zero. Just increase the amount of time on the timer, gently caress!
Hah, I actually like the accelerating version. I like overtime but I don't want it lasting forever.

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014
Does anyone else here watch moonmoon? I have for like 5-6 months and it seems like recently he stopped being a funny memer and started being more of a miserable try hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
That dude is the memeiest memer I've ever seen but I haven't really watched much this last season. Ex Dee