Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Wing Commander said at the presser it was a ground attack training mission, no other details really. Said when the rescue helo got there they determined he hadn't survived, don't know if he ejected or not. I suspect we will have to wait for the investigation for much more detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think I might duck out of as many holiday events as possible. The chain of command panic over Op Honour and making sure nothing goes wrong is going to be more cringeworthy than ever. It also misses the point that most of the bad poo poo that happens goes down at The Warehouse or barracks anyways.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Frosted Flake posted:

I think I might duck out of as many holiday events as possible. The chain of command panic over Op Honour and making sure nothing goes wrong is going to be more cringeworthy than ever. It also misses the point that most of the bad poo poo that happens goes down at The Warehouse or barracks anyways.
It's harder to turn a blind eye when it's right in front of you.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
And really, shouldn't it have been named Op Offer instead?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Canuck-Errant posted:

And really, shouldn't it have been named Op Offer instead?

:siren: They're charging guys for jokes like that:siren:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Frosted Flake posted:

:siren: They're charging guys for jokes like that:siren:

There are times I question my decision to get out

this is not one of those times.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

There are times I question my decision to get out

this is not one of those times.

Ayup. Admittedly I do miss the cheap beer at the mess.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I don't know if I'm just lucky or just work with non-creepy people who respect each other, but I haven't found Op Honor as cringy and hamfisted as some people make it out to be. The biggest whiners about it seem to be guys who buy into bullshit MRA redpill talking points. Maybe I just don't "get" military culture :shrug:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

Ayup. Admittedly I do miss the cheap beer at the mess.

True. However, I am decidedly unwelcome in the mess. I kicked up 'a bit of a fuss' during my release because apparently the adj can't read and doesn't know how to use a telephone, so when they misspelled my email address and sent an exit interview request to a different email address and I never answered, they just assumed "other than honorable release". I found out about it and basically started screaming at a Captain, who then involved the chief clerk (WO) who I also screamed at.

Turns out corporals screaming at WOs and nobles isn't exactly "how to do things" in the CF circa 2010.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well poo poo. Just drink at the Legion and show up at the levy.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Is there a list of ranks at whom Cpls are allowed to scream? Other than ceremonially or in a combat situation obv. Oh, and excluding when working as a signaller.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

Canuck-Errant posted:

Is there a list of ranks at whom Cpls are allowed to scream? Other than ceremonially or in a combat situation obv. Oh, and excluding when working as a signaller.

All of them (results will vary).

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BIG NORTH posted:

All of them (results will vary).

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Perfect.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Welp , just got my offer for MARS today friends. 14 months after I walked into the CFRC.

I've read this entire thread ft. Samu's combat eng journey, some experienced peeps warning against going MARS, BMOQ advice, etc

Will go into this journey with an open mind and report back.

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 8, 2016

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Canadian Military Status Update: Christmas time and everything shuts down.

Taking leave earlier in the year so you have no annual for Christmas is an excellent protip.

It's basically like I'm on leave.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I went into November with over 20 unused days of leave plus a some comp/special time I was never able to cash out.

I'm poo poo at taking leave :smith:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A CANFORGEN was just issued saying members convicted of sexual misconduct (any; not just assaults) as of a year ago shall be recommended for release.

Good riddance.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

A CANFORGEN was just issued saying members convicted of sexual misconduct (any; not just assaults) as of a year ago shall be recommended for release.

Good riddance.

I thought the Liberals weren't planning on any major downsizing of the military :confused:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

holy poo poo

that's one helluva step, I like it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I also realized that nobody knows what fraternization means. A buddy of mine went to a course party where 2 (married) warrants and a sergeant went home with candidates. If I understand fraternization is only with civilians and military of a foreign country, and since this was a course party the candidates were no longer in the same CoC as the staff. So, is behavior like that in the clear?

OP Honor is important, but there needs to be some clarification. Charging Cpls for making inappropriate jokes won't do much to improve the culture (or the stats) if NCOs are up to the same poo poo they've always been.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

OP Honor is important, but there needs to be some clarification. Charging Cpls for making inappropriate jokes won't do much to improve the culture (or the stats) if NCOs are up to the same poo poo they've always been.

I had the pleasure of sitting through a US SAPR brief and virtually all the hypotheticals up for discussion involved junior members (ie, 18 - 23 year olds) doing 18 - 23 year old poo poo (ie, hooking up at boozy parties or saying stupid things). Understanding nuances of consent and the power of words is totes important and A Good Thing, but it completely avoided talking about power disparities that lead to abuses of authority or the predatory poo poo that seems to be more common in senior leadership*. I got a great sounding non-answer when I asked about it, which makes me think the whole thing was like 80% institutional CYA.

It seems popular to hate on Op Honor, but compared to the US equivalent it's way better in my (n=1) opinion. It comes across as way less ham-fisted, does more than scratch the surface of root causes, and feels like it's trying to actually change attitudes.

*per their JAG website at the time, half the reported incidents involved O-5/E-7 and above

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Frosted Flake posted:

Good riddance.

Hypothetically, if one were to be jerking off in the driver's seat of a LAV in the middle of the night and, hypothetically, accidentally queue the IC and broadcast ones passionate grunts and moans to the entire vehicle, would that be enough to be charged with sexual misconduct and given the boot?

Asking for a friend. Thanks in advance.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Samu posted:

Hypothetically, if one were to be jerking off in the driver's seat of a LAV in the middle of the night and, hypothetically, accidentally queue the IC and broadcast ones passionate grunts and moans to the entire vehicle, would that be enough to be charged with sexual misconduct and given the boot?

Asking for a friend. Thanks in advance.

hahaha glorious.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Pretty sure that's just an ND.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

:vince:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

flakeloaf posted:

:drat:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Amazing

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

flakeloaf posted:

:perfect:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

:master:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm fuckin' dying over here

Apparently the Ukranians were using some home-brewed gun data computer on an android app, and they were using it for their field artillery positions. But their positions kept getting wrecked and they couldn't figure out why

The Russians hacked the app, which had the cell GPS data for the gun positions

That's so mind-bogglingly stupid I almost can't believe it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MA-Horus posted:

I'm fuckin' dying over here

Apparently the Ukranians were using some home-brewed gun data computer on an android app, and they were using it for their field artillery positions. But their positions kept getting wrecked and they couldn't figure out why

That's so mind-bogglingly stupid I almost can't believe it.

Add to this that Russian Counterybattery is usually cluster munitions from MRLS and you have a bad day for anyone in that grid square.

The Ukrainians also tried to use countermortar radars for CB work and apparently that made them really big targets as Russians are good at direction finding and targeting.

Sixerfixer
Oct 13, 2013

I'm not going to try and sell you that three guys in the shed out back with a swinging light bulb and a bottle of SoCo is a model for responsible government. I'm just gonna say it works.

MA-Horus posted:

I was wondering what happened with that. Comms sec is real, people.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

To what extent is aiming/positioning guns computerized? I always assumed that the guns were aimed and adjusted manually, but to be honest I've never been on ex with the artillery.

What is an arty ex anyways? You just go to a range, set up a camp, run pretend fire missions then pack up and go home?

Sixerfixer
Oct 13, 2013

I'm not going to try and sell you that three guys in the shed out back with a swinging light bulb and a bottle of SoCo is a model for responsible government. I'm just gonna say it works.

Samu posted:

To what extent is aiming/positioning guns computerized?
It's all computerized at some level, for the most part. They teach us how to do it straight analog (No phone apps for us), right up to clicking buttons on a screen.

Samu posted:

I always assumed that the guns were aimed and adjusted manually, but to be honest I've never been on ex with the artillery.
They are typically, but M777s can have a computer hooked into them if it's not broken/the unit is feeling fancy.

Samu posted:

What is an arty ex anyways? You just go to a range, set up a camp, run pretend fire missions then pack up and go home?
Kinda, but with a lot more moving parts. On our Nov Ex this year, our BC wanted to do a "shoot-and-scoot" exercise, and we had it planned to do six moves on Saturday. Then the snow hit. We had two positions. There's always some snag. What I've seen so far is that Exes start out really ambitious and run for as long as they can outpace the reality that our kit older than some WOs.

And we always put together a fire plan. We have FOO qualified officers who come out of exes frequently. A fire plan is kinda just sequential fire missions on pre-registered targets.

Actually while I'm thinking about Pet, one of the first stories I heard when I joined was about how my unit took out a cottage in Algonquin Park back in the 1970s. Turns out it wasn't us, and I only found that out because one for the old guys who comes around for mess dinners was in our CP that same weekend, and heard the check firing come over the wire from regiment. After an investigation, they found out a gun det 2IC hosed up the charge bags. He put two chrg7 bags in the same round. It sailed about 2 km fully passed its intended target. As for the cottage, it turns out it didn't hit the building itself, but destroyed the dock. Where the owner had been standing less than 5 minutes prior. I don't think anyone knows what became of that MBdr, exactly.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Half of the Arty exercises I was on involved driving the safety officer to Range Control to explain why we had a flaming stove on the Z Lines or dropped rounds on a reverse bearing or our own observers or nearly hit the highway or...

The other half had newly arrived officers deciding that foot patrols in knee deep snow would be a good way to keep everyone occupied between missions.

The 777 is notionally more computerized but about half of the stuff in the artillery is broken at any given time. The gun shed looks like a chop shop as often as not.

e: Everytime Arty chat comes up I wonder if the other arms know even a quarter of our screw-ups. It's like if the armour guys were running poo poo over with tanks almost every time when went out and sabots were sailing over Fredericton on a regular basis.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 27, 2016

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I think the worst I ever did personally was firing the bushmaster on the LAV. I squeezed the trigger just as we crested a log or something and fired a burst of 20mm into the night sky in Wainwright. I'm sure everything was fine.

Honestly for us engineers the worst screw ups we would have involved dropping bridges into the gap. We dropped a 22 bay 2 story bridge into the North Saskatchewan doing demonstration in St. Albert for civilians.

Explosive demolitions is actually pretty foolproof, and the landmines we lose are almost always training mines. I did find a very old, rusted out mine in Chilcotin once that had probably been there for 20 years. It was rusted to the point of being unidentifiable as training or live, so we just blew it up for safety.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 7, 2023

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Generation Internet posted:

Took him all of a few months to get tinnitus, too.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWHATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

haha gunner's ear amirite also that thing that makes my ears hurt like a motherfucker whenever steel hits steel in the machining center I work in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

No no VAC is pretty sure you have a pre-existing genetic ear problem.