Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the only Jedi we saw in the originals were the best of the best (whether naturally or through experience) and the average one, while good in a fight and all, isn't anywhere near that level. Look at how Palpatine clowns on the Jedi masters in Episode 3, I'm guessing one of them could have done the same thing to a few average Jedi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

Dishonored 2 again

I just feel like the game should be focused on specific person being a badass and not about their dumb intimate personal details.I know that's sounds hypocritical due to Corvo/Jessamine, but then again that's the major story element so imo it's different. I think my problem is that I played DH1 so much and she was a kid, so like... it seems forced that they had to specify that she's now AN ADULT and has A BOYFRIEND. I just feel it's unnecessary. note: I am not a creepy jealous crazy weirdo because it probably sounds that way, I'm just a weirdo nerd

Unrelated, the voice actor for Corvo bothers me because he really pronounces 'sh's like, "sszzshhip". It annoys me significantly.

Yeah it's kind of clunky, but what little emotional arc the game had was Emily learning her inherited empire is a mess that she preferred to goof off/complain about paperwork rather than fix.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah it's kind of clunky, but what little emotional arc the game had was Emily learning her inherited empire is a mess that she preferred to goof off/complain about paperwork rather than fix.

My arc was Emily day-dreaming about putting Delilah's head in a vice, and having extra arms to strangle people with.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Glukeose posted:

Episode 3, while not being good, had a whole montage of Jedi being killed by regular rear end troopers. Some of them even died from really silly bullshit, like the one who got shot on a speeder. Wasn't a key theme of KotOR 2 that a Jedi is just as frail and mortal as any other rear end in a top hat, especially if they can't hide behind a saber?

KOTOR 2 had 2 NPCs that told you how to easily kill Jedi. Shooting at them en masse, sniper rifles at a distance, mines, grenades with magnetic targeting locks so the jedi couldn't push them back at you, shoot at innocents, wound their padawan, also being spontaneous as its harder for the Jedi to predict.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Leal posted:

KOTOR 2 had 2 NPCs that told you how to easily kill Jedi. Shooting at them en masse, sniper rifles at a distance, mines, grenades with magnetic targeting locks so the jedi couldn't push them back at you, shoot at innocents, wound their padawan, also being spontaneous as its harder for the Jedi to predict.

My lvl 29 Sith Lord could kill an army with a Force Lighting so beat that!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

im pooping! posted:

I played SWG for a long time and the first of the Jedi were unlocked in a specific way. Each character had a seed for 5 or 6 classes(out of like 28) they needed to master in order to unlock a new character slot for a force sensitive character. There was a very rare item drop called a Holocron, which when read revealed one of the classes needed to unlock the FS slot. It would not reveal the last one, which left people to A)hunt holocrons which became massively inflated in value and B) just grind everything once your last Holocron was cloudy. It was a loving nightmare and likewise Jedi/Sith in Star Wars Galaxies were incredibly powerful and rare. They even had permadeath(yes, in an MMORPG) and would turn into a blue glowy.

Well SOE realized how hosed up a Jedi economy would be, so they planned in a huge game update to streamline the game down from the 30 or whatever classes down to like 8. Jedi was a starting class, and we ended up with servers that were maybe 40-50% Jedi, all running around at a time when the only two known Jedi were Luke Skywalker and Yoda because the others were quite literally hunted to extinction in the Star Wars timeline. I personally never played as a Jedi because gently caress that poo poo.

ToR came around and you can still start as a Jedi, and yes I subscribe but even then, I will not play as a Jedi because they are so ubiquitous. Even in a franchise like Star Wars where you could expect to see or play as an iconic bounty hunter or smuggler, everyone is drawn to Jedi and there is so much god drat potential in a non-Jedi type character that shoeing in magic powers is overused and stupid. Schmugglah 4 lyfe.

Rifleman sniper 4 lyfe

Nothing beat going prone and mind shotting some dude to death and he can't even see me

They really poo poo up the game when they went to 8 classes. It was fun mixing and matching different classes, especially if you were a dancer who also decided to use heavy weapons

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Kontradaz posted:

That was the theme brought about by the game being limited to D&D Rules, not really canon.

Oh, drat. Would hate to accidentally violate canon by making a fun Star Wars game.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Glukeose posted:

Then if we're specifically working within canon, the Jedi get clowned by robots who are often too incompetent to shoot straight. They also get killed by a bounty hunter whose son would die later by falling into a giant mouth in a desert. They're really not infallible or overpowered.

Excuse me but Boba Fett did not die in the Sarlacc. He escaped, was captured by Jawas (lol), then their sandcrawler crashed into the Sarlacc pit and he fell in again (double lol), and he escaped yet again. He hasn't yet died, the Expanded Universe has some really good content.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

gohuskies posted:

Excuse me but Boba Fett did not die in the Sarlacc. He escaped, was captured by Jawas (lol), then their sandcrawler crashed into the Sarlacc pit and he fell in again (double lol), and he escaped yet again. He hasn't yet died, the Expanded Universe has some really good content.

Yeah it sure sounds like it :v:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah it sure sounds like it :v:

somebody on a computer post the sith lord with like nine different lightsabers protruding from his body

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The EU is/was great exactly because it's stupid and :wtc: , it gives the world some character outside of serious space bushido laserswordmans and desert cantinas.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There's plenty of Star Wars games and stories that don't feature Jedi much/at all and are still good is basically the point, it's just MisterBibs being completely dumb and wrong as usual.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

gohuskies posted:

Didn't all that get deleted when Disney took over making nerds furious?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Yeah I thought the entire canon now consisted of Episodes IV - VII and Rogue One (I honestly believe they will not make explicit references to the prequels but by the broadest of strokes) the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons, the relatively recent marvel comic books and book tie ins released after Episode VII.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Calaveron posted:

Yeah I thought the entire canon now consisted of Episodes IV - VII and Rogue One (I honestly believe they will not make explicit references to the prequels but by the broadest of strokes) the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons, the relatively recent marvel comic books and book tie ins released after Episode VII.

That's the pleb canon. The EU canon lives on- the yuzhon vong will never die!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Calaveron posted:

organa was in rogue one. they can ignore the prequels, but they're still canon.

also the scene at the end is pretty much a callback to III.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The most likely thing is probably that nothing from the EU is canon until Disney puts it in a movie or re-releases it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
alright let's smother this derail.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

gently caress X-18 and the floating barrels. they're not scary, they're just super annoying when you're trying to punch in the code for the doors.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Yardbomb posted:

The EU is/was great exactly because it's stupid and :wtc: , it gives the world some character outside of serious space bushido laserswordmans and desert cantinas.

Forgot what thread I was in and thought suddenly we were talking about Brexit.

I love DOOM, but jesus the updates are insanely large. I want to play arcade mode but I don't want to download 25 gb of crap to do it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Calaveron posted:

One of the villians in the force awakens talks about going back to clones for stormtroopers. I think the whole clone thing was prequel only.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

The most likely thing is probably that nothing from the EU is canon until Disney puts it in a movie or re-releases it.

Pretty much this.

It can be considered canon if the movies confirm it is. Until the movies contradict it, it exists as much as you want it to.

Like obviously everything in the original EU involving the Solo kids is now thrown out as well as Luke's wife and kids.

But like a lot of the EU that happened DURING the original trilogy might still exist. I mean we had Thrawn show up in the Rebels cartoon.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Action Tortoise posted:

organa was in rogue one. they can ignore the prequels, but they're still canon.

also the scene at the end is pretty much a callback to III.

No yeah I get it Bail Organa and Qui Gon Jinn are totally characters that existed and I'm sure Vader still got messed up fighting Obi-Wan in a lava planet
But I don't think Dexter Jettster exists anymore
I don't think anything that happened in level 6: Planet Geonosis or anything similar will ever be referenced or taken into account going forward because it is all super stupid

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For all the open world sandbox games we've gotten as of late nobody's set one in a hyper advanced future city. SR4 has aliens and superpowers but that's about it.

I want Grand Theft Jetcar.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Forgot what thread I was in and thought suddenly we were talking about Brexit.

I love DOOM, but jesus the updates are insanely large. I want to play arcade mode but I don't want to download 25 gb of crap to do it.

Complaining about large downloads in TYOOL 2016/7

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kontradaz posted:

Unfortunately in TYOOL 2016/17, ISPs still put caps and limit downloading speed. Also it'd be nice if a game wasn't taking up 20% of my SSD by itself.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Action Tortoise posted:

alright let's smother this derail.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

gently caress X-18 and the floating barrels. they're not scary, they're just super annoying when you're trying to punch in the code for the doors.

You can stop the floating barrels by killing whatever's responsible for them.

The barrels are being controlled by a poltergeist, the poltergeists are only partially visible though. Poltergeists are those crackling clouds of electricity flying around, shoot them and they die and become fully visible.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

gohuskies posted:

You can stop the floating barrels by killing whatever's responsible for them.

The barrels are being controlled by a poltergeist, the poltergeists are only partially visible though. Poltergeists are those crackling clouds of electricity flying around, shoot them and they die and become fully visible.

jesus, i needed you three days ago. thanks.

Kontradaz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzYGWF6qrts

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Leal posted:

Unfortunately in TYOOL 2016/17, ISPs still put caps and limit downloading speed. Also it'd be nice if a game wasn't taking up 20% of my SSD by itself.

Where do you live, Kansas? Doesn't like every metro center now have the choice of ISP with unlimited data at fast speeds?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

Large downloads are bullshit even in Current Year.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

Where do you live, Kansas? Doesn't like every metro center now have the choice of ISP with unlimited data at fast speeds?

gently caress no. Even Cox in phoenix has a soft 250GB cap.

Don't be an intentional ignorant douchebag.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kontradaz posted:

Countries that aren't America also exist, sir. And some of those countries have poo poo internet.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Large downloads are bullshit even in Current Year.

I have not once this year been annoyed by large downloads, but then again I don't have 10mbps internet

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Countries that aren't America also exist, sir. And some of those countries have poo poo internet.

America has poo poo internet compared to a bunch of the world! Go to Eastern Europe and see the blazing fast speeds.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Time to warm up that ignore button again. Troll harder.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Do they ever specifically mention that it's a guy? Lots of people in the Dishonored 2 thread were saying it's left ambiguous. In any case it didn't bother me really, it's in a letter that nobody is supposed to be reading and if you read old correspondence like that there's always dumb poo poo in there, people being people.

I'm too lazy to try and track down if that's a real tweet or not though.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Time to warm up that ignore button again. Troll harder.

Average goon poster isn't from a place where internet is atrocious, so don't blame me for being inquisitive.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Oh hey stalker soc is on sale today, 60% off. I get 12 cents for every 20 purchases redirected from this thread.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kontradaz posted:

Average goon poster isn't from a place where internet is atrocious, so don't blame me for being inquisitive.

Hi. Australia, where rotting copper lines are still the standard, usage caps are still ubiquitous (and hit against hard now that Netflix exists) and since the policy to fix that got torpedoed will not improve. It's not fun!

EDIT: because this argument isn't fun for most people, I'm going to risk bringing back the last one and say that Star Wars is dragging down all Star Wars games. It's a shame it's the only one of the big sci-fi genres that gets good games with any degree of frequency, because it's not a very good setting unless you want to play a Jedi dvery time. I want to play a Jedi none of the time, personally.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Dec 22, 2016

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Hi. Australia, where rotting copper lines are still the standard, usage caps are still ubiquitous (and hit against hard now that Netflix exists) and since the policy to fix that got torpedoed will not improve. It's not fun!

EDIT: because this argument isn't fun for most people, I'm going to risk bringing back the last one and say that Star Wars is dragging down all Star Wars games. It's a shame it's the only one of the big sci-fi genres that gets good games with any degree of frequency, because it's not a very good setting unless you want to play a Jedi dvery time. I want to play a Jedi none of the time, personally.

You guys gave us "down under", you deserve better - I'm sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Cleretic posted:

unironically I want a pazaak standalone game for my phone. and I want a Russian guy to accuse me of cheating for cleaning him out right before his planet explodes.