Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Michigan State's worst team since Reagan was president blanked the dang football team like it was the Monstars vs....well Rutgers I guess. Every day I wake up and check BigTen.org to see if Rutgers has been replaced by a better program such as Central Michigan University or Iowa State. Alas, poor yorick, Rutgers is still in the Big Ten. Despite the fact that their two most prominent football alum are a man who cold cocked his wife in an elevator and a guy whose C3 and C4 vertebrae preferred to turn themselves into dust rather than play for Rutgers anymore.

The third most prominent is Star Lions QB Mike McMahon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Fourth most famous is half of the Pats defense

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Sash! posted:

I can't believe Kyle Orton fumbled so badly that Purdue lost games into the future as a result

triggered.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sash! posted:

Rutgers went to one bowl (in NEW JERSEY EVEN) in the 20th century, then took another 30 years to get a second one.

That's a sign of all time garbage team.

Rutgers was my go-to punching bag in NCAA Gamebreaker in the mid-90s. They were hoooooooooorrible.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ReebTop posted:

I realize the hypocrisy in this, but that's why I enjoy it. When all the talking heads want to talk about is how Alabama could easily crush any team that has ever played football, by dint of being on top of the SEC, I just want to see them lose. And, when your team doesn't smell the postseason, well...gotta have some reason to get invested in games.

S'up hatewatching buddy.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I like this thread

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Marquis de Pyro posted:

You always say this and I constantly have to point out that actually Rutgers is historically bad for a power conference team. You're Northwestern/Kentucky level at best. That's really loving bad. I'm not going to waste my time actually comparing Rutgers to other "power 5" teams again, but you're bottom 10%.

I've said they're at the same level as Kentucky, South Carolina, and Oregon State. That's not what's been argued.

quote:

You also seem to have the stupid idea that the entire Midwest is somehow Detroit, so I'm going to continue judging all of Jersey as being Camden or wherever your shittiest place is now.

I'm not the one who started this. I know Ann Arbor and Grosse Pointe are nice. Percentage wise, there's a lot more of those in New Jersey than in Michigan or the rest of the region. When you look at the aggregate stats, it's a terrific place by any metric. Albeit painfully boring at times.

quote:

The Big 10 let in your awful team for no real reason given that cable TV is dying and they are not going to make any money in the mythical New York Cable Market by virtue of having a lovely 1-10 Rutgers team in. Great my team gets a free 78-0 win every year instead of playing an actual interesting team or having room for another non conference game. Cool. No reason at all for the rest of the conference to be mad about it.

Maryland also sucks and should not be in the Big 10 if that makes you feel better. Although at least they're good at basketball instead of also being one of the worst major conference schools in the history of the NCAA at that too.

Actually the Big Ten is going to make a lot more money as a result, and I'm shocked you said that given how easily it's disproved. And no, Rutgers isn't one of the worst major conference schools in the history of NCAA basketball.

No poo poo they are really bad at football right now. That's Kyle Flood's fault. That will be corrected, and they'll be comfortably middle of the pack. Rutgers did not make the Big Ten worse. It was just another mediocre program added to a pile of mediocre programs.

Sash! posted:

Rutgers went to one bowl (in NEW JERSEY EVEN) in the 20th century, then took another 30 years to get a second one.

That's a sign of all time garbage team.

No, it's a sign that bowl expansion wasn't really a thing until relatively recently.

Alaois posted:

It's literally entirely because of Kim Jong Il, without him people would talk about Rutgers as much as they talk about, I dunno, Syracuse or UConn.

I'm not the one who brought it up, and I'm not the one saying things that are easily disproven by looking up win/loss stats or financial stats.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Michigan State's worst team since Reagan was president blanked the dang football team like it was the Monstars vs....well Rutgers I guess. Every day I wake up and check BigTen.org to see if Rutgers has been replaced by a better program such as Central Michigan University or Iowa State. Alas, poor yorick, Rutgers is still in the Big Ten. Despite the fact that their two most prominent football alum are a man who cold cocked his wife in an elevator and a guy whose C3 and C4 vertebrae preferred to turn themselves into dust rather than play for Rutgers anymore.

I legitimately think the Midwest should be depopulated in a modern day trail of tears, but honestly there's no point because y'all will die of meth overdoses soon enough. Your team is going to poo poo with Michigan competent and Narduzzi gone, we'll be back to the John L. Smith days soon enough.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

I'm not the one who brought it up, and I'm not the one saying things that are easily disproven by looking up win/loss stats or financial stats.

How can you be this dense.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Rutgers should be in the fcs like the other really old schools. Somehow they think they're better than William and Mary.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I live in New Jersey

The best part is that you can get to New York City pretty easily
The kicker is that they make you pay a fee to get out

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

"1 bowl in a century, and 30 years to get to another one"

BOWL EXPANSION

edit: more like bowel expansion imo lol

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
have you considered that Rutgers's bowl appearances are statistical outliers and should be thrown out

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Please rename TFF to the enemy of Rutger's athletics

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
we're all going to die of opiate overdoses now bitch

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Spintzel posted:

I can support this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spintzel posted:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Detroit is an infinitely better place than Grosse Pointe if you aren't terrified of minorities or poor people

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Detroit is an infinitely better place than Grosse Pointe if you aren't terrified of minorities or poor people

i say the same thing about Newark but y'know, whatever, more churrascaria for me

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kim Jong Il posted:

No, it's a sign that bowl expansion wasn't really a thing until relatively recently.

No, that's why Rutgers has been to nine bowls since 2000 and one since before.

Even Temple played two 20th century bowls. One of them was the Sugar Bowl in the 30s. Temple: literally better than Rutgers at bowl games.

Wake Forest, the worst power 5 team of all time in win/loss percentage, went to five in the 20th century.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Detroit is at least interesting and has people interested in making it better. Also everything to the north and west of those cities is wildly different from them.

I just moved to downtown Detroit from Tampa and i can confirm its a lot of fun and not like the Mad Max reputation it has on the picture box

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Alaois posted:

i say the same thing about Newark but y'know, whatever, more churrascaria for me
The Portuguese Quarter is awesome.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Detroit_Dogg posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT’S THE MICHIGAN STATE RUTGERS GAME AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE TACKLES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN LINEBACKER. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME JERSEY BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS HOME GAME. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES TO THE FIGHT SONG AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

ReebTop
May 17, 2003
You know, other Rutgers fans make the internet difficult to deal with. I'm just optimistic that one day we'll be an okay team again. Sorry for fueling that derail.

And the Ironbound section of Newark is fantastic for food. Go to...I think it's called Hamburgao? They put corn on the burgers and it is God damned amazing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ReebTop posted:

You know, other Rutgers fans make the internet difficult to deal with. I'm just optimistic that one day we'll be an okay team again. Sorry for fueling that derail.

And the Ironbound section of Newark is fantastic for food. Go to...I think it's called Hamburgao? They put corn on the burgers and it is God damned amazing.

Hamburgao is the greatest poo poo known to man and I'm so happy there's a location in Kearny.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

That Works posted:

more like bowel expansion imo lol

just for posterity

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

my man :cheers:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

My favorite thing about this place is how the fans of like Rutgers and Iowa State are 1000x saltier than any of the major rivalries get.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Can the B1G trade Rutgers for Mizzou? I feel they would have been the better choice for program level, culture, and geography reasons. Rutgers then would have been free to join the AAC or embrace their destiny and been rejected by the Ivy League in an FCS transition

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Missouri loved owning slaves with a burning passion, they are SEC al the way.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Ehhhhhhhhh

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

Missouri loved owning slaves with a burning passion, they are SEC al the way.

I very badly want some sort of honey bee war themed trophy though

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Things are looking up for Mizzou football :smugdog:

https://twitter.com/HunterLJohnson/status/811640966557945856

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Vandy is the 2nd best team in the SEC

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Aside from the obvious money argument, the other reason Maryland was invited to the Big Ten was because Jim Delany thought he could upset the ACC apple cart in an attempt to create further conference chaos in order to force Notre Dame into the Big Ten. It backfired, and we are stuck with two bad-to-mediocre programs. At least Maryland is good in basketball and all-around competitive in most other sports. Maryland's football ceiling is quite a bit higher than Rutgers, which will struggle forever going head to head with Penn State in recruiting in its own state. Penn State recruits well in the DMV, but there is stiffer competition between them and Maryland, Virginia, and Virginia Tech.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Ole Miss hired former Oregon OC Matt Lubick to coach WRs. That's a great pick up for Ole Miss, who just lost a stellar receivers coach.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Stunt Rock posted:

Ole Miss hired former Oregon OC Matt Lubick to coach WRs. That's a great pick up for Ole Miss, who just lost a stellar receivers coach.

Nice, he did a good job with WRs at Oregon

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Komet posted:

Maryland's football ceiling is quite a bit higher than Rutgers, which will struggle forever going head to head with Penn State in recruiting in its own state.

Why? As you know, Penn State has strip mined Maryland. Maryland does not have a good football history at all. They have significantly worse facilities and worse fan support than Rutgers. All they have on Rutgers is a lot of Under Armour money.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Kim Jong Il posted:

Why? As you know, Penn State has strip mined Maryland. Maryland does not have a good football history at all. They have significantly worse facilities and worse fan support than Rutgers. All they have on Rutgers is a lot of Under Armour money.

Under Armour money is really all the difference they need to have a higher ceiling than Rutgers.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Under Armour money is really all the difference they need to have a higher ceiling than Rutgers.

Also the facilities will be light years ahead of Rutgers and indeed many other school once the renovation is completed and the team enters the field from the giant turtle shell in the corner of the stadium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Yes, pretty much all that.

• Locked thread