Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Donald Trump, a man known for the truth and conviction of his words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

ti too believe what he tweets

"oh that was on social media, it doesn't mean anything"

if you do not understanding the horror of mass death that is possible with the implied or express destablization of MAD, i can put you on ignore right now and resume speaking with adults, your call

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
LEFT, THE loving ENTIRE ELECTION: "OH MY GOD HE SAYS THE MOST HORRIBLE THINGS. AMERICANS WILL NEVER ELECT HIM"

LEFT, AFTER TRUMP WINS: "Oh he doesn't mean anything by it. Nothing to worry about"

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

LEFT, THE loving ENTIRE ELECTION: "OH MY GOD HE SAYS THE MOST HORRIBLE THINGS. AMERICANS WILL NEVER ELECT HIM"

LEFT, AFTER TRUMP WINS: "Oh he doesn't mean anything by it. Nothing to worry about"

no thats the center and the right

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Share Bear posted:

no thats the center and the right

in america we call the center the left, aren't you paying any attention

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

if you do not understanding the horror of mass death that is possible with the implied or express destablization of MAD, i can put you on ignore right now and resume speaking with adults, your call

echi is a father lol

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
my current job hired me as a scrum master and since that job description was in HR's management.xlsx it meant I had to go through the executive hiring routine which was v. laffo. the whole thing was handled by an external company hiring c-levels for multimillion dollar companies. Armani suits, swanky offices, everyone very good looking and then there's me lol.

all in all 6 in-person interviews, 4 personality/iq tests, all so I can move postits on aboard, update a power point and ask people about what they're doing today

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mishaq posted:

echi is a father lol

i too believe everything he says on the internet

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Jonny 290 posted:

The guy is a colostomy bag of a human being and you can't take anything he says seriously. This isn't a good thing, and makes the situation starkly more terrifying: everything that comes out of him as a real, quantifiable result is pure chaos, and the only thing worse than sheer horror is unpredictable sheer horror.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and that's exaclty what happened overnight

putin gave a PR about nuclear strength overnight.

our president-elect is a known cable news addict and just shovels foxnews in his face all morning over Mcdonald's

so he was picking the egg out of his egg mcmuffin or whatever OCD thing i'm sure he does, saw the Putin soundbite, and he thought "Oh i should sya something in response" and was tapping out his tweet before anybody could snatch his phone from him

it's not the truthiness or whatever of what he's tweeting, it's that he has no fundamental concept of world politics or international relations, and though we are laughing and dismissing his tweets, foreign dignitaries and intelligence services are pinning them up on a THREATS FROM TRUMP bulletin board.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

it's not the truthiness or whatever of what he's tweeting, it's that he has no fundamental concept of world politics or international relations, and though we are laughing and dismissing his tweets, foreign dignitaries and intelligence services are pinning them up on a THREATS FROM TRUMP bulletin board.

lol that people in the US think Trump is a credible person with the capacity to enact decisions in the global theater.

Problem is that stupidity is hardly a uniquely American trait, as per the tail end of your quote up there. Would be nice to just be able to discard his words entirely, but who the gently caress knows what is going on in his senile head from one moment to the next?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
He doesn't have the capacity to make informed decisions. He absolutely does have the power to make bad ones, and hit the button.

Remember that a solid 65-75% of his supporters and cabinet are just killing time waiting to go to Heaven; in the long run, they've got nothing to lose by salting the earth with fallout.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

He doesn't have the capacity to make informed decisions. He absolutely does have the power to make bad ones, and hit the button.

Remember that a solid 65-75% of his supporters and cabinet are just killing time waiting to go to Heaven; in the long run, they've got nothing to lose by salting the earth with fallout.

That's why I said capacity and not capability. He's got the capability for all kinds of heinous poo poo.

Old people shouldn't be relegated to advisory positions, at best. Look at what happened with Brexit.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

so what im hearing is that i should stop job hunting and spend more time with ones i care about

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
close this loving thread you idiots have ruined it

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
Where are the jobs, Steve??

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
trump is literally going to nuke the world and reinstate slavery

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

trump give me a job please

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

what I mean is that that man just says whatever is gonna make his stocks fly. a part of me is terrified by what he says, but most of me just thinks I should wait and see before I put any emotions into it

he bought stocks in uranium, spiked them, and now he's gonna dump em and then say we're going for this "world peace" thing, just after he dumped all those profits into rainbows incorporated

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I prepare for death before ordering a pizza

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

double ohm seven posted:

if you don't get two years of 80% of your salary when you rear a child then congrats on living in a garbage country I guess?

well, in america we throw those sickos in prison

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

double ohm seven posted:

my current job hired me as a scrum master and since that job description was in HR's management.xlsx it meant I had to go through the executive hiring routine which was v. laffo. the whole thing was handled by an external company hiring c-levels for multimillion dollar companies. Armani suits, swanky offices, everyone very good looking and then there's me lol.

all in all 6 in-person interviews, 4 personality/iq tests, all so I can move postits on aboard, update a power point and ask people about what they're doing today

yesterday i did *thing i explain is so much detail nobody can hope to understand it*. today ill fix some pending open issues with it. toodles

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

mekkanare posted:

Where are the jobs, Steve??

pretend i posted your favorite joke from http://www.craveonline.com/mandatory/1044715-the-30-best-steve-jobs-bob-hope-and-johnny-cash-jokes-on-the

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

poty posted:

yesterday i did *thing i explain is so much detail nobody can hope to understand it*. today ill fix some pending open issues with it. toodles
we had a meeting about meetings and one of the concerns brought up was that stand up very often derailed into tangents that at most 2 people cared about. nowadays we don't do much beyond "I'm working on X component of Y project" and it cut standup from 15 minutes to around 3

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Elysiume posted:

we had a meeting about meetings and one of the concerns brought up was that stand up very often derailed into tangents that at most 2 people cared about. nowadays we don't do much beyond "I'm working on X component of Y project" and it cut standup from 15 minutes to around 3

oh wow a successful meeting and actual standups

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Elysiume posted:

I cannot believe this actually happens

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

a good stand up shouldn't be more than "I'm working on x" with optionally "I'm blocked by y I'll talk to person n after stand up about it"

ours are mostly that excepting the one 10xer on our team (we don't want a 10xer nor do we expect him to 10x things because he just rushes through them and someone else has to do it over) who will say "I'm working on x and also y and also x and also a and b and..."

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

a year or two ago qirex (or maybe rotor?) posted some a-class questions for in-person interviewers and they've always been crowd pleasers

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Boiled Water posted:

your manager will stall you for as long as possible with promises of a raise that ultimately never comes

[ask] me about making this exact mistake and being led on for three months

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Rex-Goliath posted:

[ask] me about making this exact mistake and being led on for three months

i don't think it's ever worth playing that card

either the place you work is a good enough fit for you that you deal with being paid less than you think you should be, or you leave

can always come back and renegotiate your salary a year later

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

leper khan posted:

oh wow a successful meeting and actual standups

Captain Foo posted:

I cannot believe this actually happens
it is a miracle and I cough "take it offline" every once in a while and people mostly stay on track, it's great

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

a year or two ago qirex (or maybe rotor?) posted some a-class questions for in-person interviewers and they've always been crowd pleasers

it may have been tef, if they're the questions i'm thinking of.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
plz post them

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

lancemantis posted:

plz post them

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

lancemantis posted:

plz post them

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i got an email from an apple recruiter like 3 weeks ago and gmail decided it was a social media email and didnt give me a notification. loving thanks google. hopefully he's still willing to talk to me.

Oh please don't ditch town. Lol that you don't start a business here with all of this cheap labor. I literally thank my directors for giving me projects that force overtime so I can eventually be homeless in a truck just to be closer to downtown. I broke $1k after tax on a two week check for the first time in a long time.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Never work for a job that requires clearance. Seriously.

i used to think nothing could be more arbitrary and frustrating. now i'm working for a healthcare insurer and hoooooly poo poo they make the federal gov't look like a well oiled machine

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

big scary monsters posted:

no, that's exactly the opposite of what im saying. i'm saying computer science is a badly misnamed branch of mathematics, and should probably be renamed and taught by maths departments instead of engineering faculties or whatever. then have a separate course for programming and databases and networks and so on, call it computing maybe

i think part of the problem is that respected and influential universities don't like to teach purely vocational subjects, and so in a top 50 cs bs they force a bunch of students destined to be web devs and network administrators to learn a bunch of maths crap they don't care about, while also trying to teach aspiring mathematicians sql. and then they call that bizarre mishmash of a subject a science for some reason

still catching up with this thread

abet now offers a software engineering curriculum

it covers everything u need including design, requirements gathering, testing, maintenance, source control, patterns, etc.

ok back to reading the thread see u guys in a few more pages!!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

mishaq posted:

hft should be illegal

implement a penny tax on all trades. bing bong so simpel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

lancemantis posted:

plz post them

- who do you work with on a daily basis / describe the day to day role
- how are decisions made / how will [team] be asked to accomplish things / who makes those decisions
- what are the company's primary values? what characteristics are you looking for in a candidate in relation to those primary values?
- what would be expected of me for the first / three / six months? What will success look like in this position, how will it be measured?
- what sort of training/mentoring/career dev things are here
- what's the most impressive thing you've seen out of someone else you've interviewed recently
- What do you see as the most challenging aspect of this job?
- how do you set milestones/deliverables for projects and how does your team react when it's clear they won't be met
- when was the last time you took pto / how much did you take / what did you do

• Locked thread