Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

hyperdevbox posted:

I am not missing any point, you do !

Welp, pack it up boys. He's got our number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I wanted to play a Beat Them All but you guys had to go and ruin it. :mad:

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

nerdz posted:

It kinda makes it look like you guys don't have the development resources to see this project through even if you somehow hit the crowdfunding goal.
You are doubting about our credibility, it is your right, except that we managed to bring PSP, PS3 and XBOX 360 JRPG FULL games into a mobile platform when others were still working in Java, just saying....but you are right, we certainly cannot do damage calculation...sure.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

hyperdevbox posted:

You must be mistaken We have NO Kickstarter campaign.

Whoa, it doesn't get any more pedantic than that.

hyperdevbox posted:

I am not missing any point, you do ! If you think that a game framework will do a game for you without any need of being a game developer and invest time in coding and money resources in assets then I am sorry you are living in a dreamland, but please show me I am wrong, pretty easy for you isn't it ? Post an exact similar gameplay video made by you using your favorite game framework and with your original character design, I just cannot wait to see your "0 gameplay" for next week ^^

The point I'm making here is that it looks like you guys have lots of people creating art assets and "lore" and voice lines and everything, but so far there has been no demonstration that your Tavern demo has any actual game logic behind it. This fits the profile of many other failed projects that came and went. People came here showing all the art assets and the mindblowing concept of the game but had no way of actually implementing any of that.

The only thing you had to do here was show us a video of one of your team playing that combat sequence of leandre vs the french soldiers. Crowdfunding is all about inspiring confidence.

hyperdevbox posted:

You are doubting about our credibility, it is your right, except that we managed to bring PSP, PS3 and XBOX 360 JRPG FULL games into a mobile platform when others were still working in Java, just saying....but you are right, we certainly cannot do damage calculation...sure.

Well, now it's even more baffling to me why you didn't show any of that in your crowdfunding pitch that is expected to raise two hundred and fifty thousand US dollars in 30 days.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 22, 2016

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Why are you ducking my questions hyperdevbox?

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

nerdz posted:

Whoa, it doesn't get any more pedantic than that.

The point I'm making here is that it looks like you guys have lots of people creating art assets and "lore" and voice lines and everything, but so far there has been no demonstration that your Tavern demo has any actual game logic behind it. This fits the profile of many other failed projects that came and went. People came here showing all the art assets and the mindblowing concept of the game but had no way of actually implementing any of that.

The only thing you had to do here was show us a video of one of your team playing that combat sequence of leandre vs the french soldiers. Crowdfunding is all about inspiring confidence.

There is a game logic, of course, how do you think we can move the character on a the grid based on how are placed the others and your AP, how do you think the enemies are moving trying to surrender you and find the best path to reach you, how do you think we can display dialogues on screen with full 3D avatars, have the automatic lips moving based on the audio in realtime when the characters are talking, how do you think we can display menus on screen and have the mouse selecting options, how do you think we can display characters status, turn, move the camera, show the introduction sequence and then the battle etc....yes, it is true that we do not have, yet, the skills attack implemented because it requires a lot of resources to implement our view of the system, all characters able to use any weapons and all characters able to do any skills (granted you have any experience level) and we did not want to have a mock up of the leandre's attack just to show something that will not be like our vision of what will be the battle system. The Battle system is the main work and it will take time to be implemented the way we want it.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

nerdz posted:

Well, now it's even more baffling to me why you didn't show any of that in your crowdfunding pitch that is expected to raise two hundred and fifty thousand US dollars in 30 days.

Except that We did mention about it when the CEO talked about "who is hyperdevbox" section, maybe you should watch again the video, and it is not 30 days but 40 days, it is not two hundred fifty but two hundred forty, I know accuracy is not your favorite but still, please give us credit when we deserve it...

hyperdevbox fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 22, 2016

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Why are you ducking my questions hyperdevbox?

I am not ! I have fully answered ^^

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

hyperdevbox posted:

I am not ! I have fully answered ^^

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

No I'm not a game developer, but I do make a comfortable living with creative endeavors, and if I went to my publisher with half a paragraph scrawled on a torn-out sheet of notebook paper and said, "Hey this should give you a great idea of the 90,000 other words I'll (probably) write, please forward me $250,000 and I'll (maybe) finish it at some point." then I'd be laughed out of her loving office. A big part of what I do is knowing how to market myself and my work, something you could stand to take a few lessons on. Crowdfunding has gotten more and more contentious over the years as there have been a number of very high profile, very public failures, and to come in here with little to no pedigree, little to no actual game to show, and just some vague descriptions of your core gameplay mechanics, doesn't make me want to give you money. Like, why is this even a crowdfunding campaign? Did you guys get turned down by conventional publishers, and if so, why? Why do you need so much money? Have you guys maybe considered scaling your game back a bit (eliminating voice work alone would save you a loving ton of money)?

You haven't given a lot of information, you've given bizarre answers to very basic questions, and now you pull out the ol' "WELL WHAT HAVE YOU CREATED" chestnut (literally the go-to defense for the creatively bankrupt). Then you follow it up with the equally antique "WELL IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T BUY IT." Be careful with those and make sure you blow the dust off them before you put them back in the museum.

This is exactly what I'm gonna do and the fact that I am should really worry you because otherwise a tactical rpg would be right in my wheelhouse ^^

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Crowdfunding has gotten more and more contentious over the years as there have been a number of very high profile, very public failures, and to come in here with little to no pedigree, little to no actual game to show, and just some vague descriptions of your core gameplay mechanics, doesn't make me want to give you money. Like, why is this even a crowdfunding campaign? Did you guys get turned down by conventional publishers, and if so, why? Why do you need so much money? Have you guys maybe considered scaling your game back a bit (eliminating voice work alone would save you a loving ton of money)?

We do represent only hyperdevbox japan, a company which already released games and does exist for more than 10 years now, most of the failure in crowdfunding is either because campaigner do not ask for the real amount they need or because they never released any game before, we are asking for right amount of money also >>>> we have selected a fixed funding campaign and not a flexible one <<<<<< that means , we are not trying to scam anybody, if we cannot get the game funded so we can develop it then everybody will be refunded by Indiegogo, we could have selected flexible but we wanted to show our backers that we are serious with a strong commitment. We do not use any publishers, we do publish our own games. We need so much money because developing a jrpg cost a lot of money, if you find a developer trying to sell you a campaign for cheaper you should, run away.... voices are not the most expensive part if you can do it internally (like we plan to do) and we do not want to sacrifice the quality on that title.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

hyperdevbox posted:

(...) The Battle system is the main work and it will take time to be implemented the way we want it.

You're absolutely correct about this: when it comes to player agency, the battle system is what your game will mostly be about. Until you guys can show off the part of the game where players can actually interact with, the stuff you're showing off only has value for yourselves. A cool story, interesting locales and great characters are wasted if your game is no fun for your players to play. You're putting up an indy crowdfunding campaign based entirely on fluff that, so far, has no meaning for anybody except for you guys. What is in it for the player to crowdfund this game? Ideas are cheap.

Yes, making the battle system is one of the harder and riskier parts; that's entirely why showing it off means that you have your poo poo together and that there might be some value there. Crowdfunding goes well with needing to create more assets and funding general production, but you guys are barely a step into pre-production. People aren't going to fund ideas.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

No I'm not a game developer, but I do make a comfortable living with creative endeavors, and if I went to my publisher with half a paragraph scrawled on a torn-out sheet of notebook paper and said, "Hey this should give you a great idea of the 90,000 other words I'll (probably) write, please forward me $250,000 and I'll (maybe) finish it at some point."

That is funny because, usually, it is EXACTLY how advance on royalty works when you develop a video game for a publisher..., either a working prototype or simply a game design document, so maybe you did not choose the right job after all ^^

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gimbal lock posted:

You're absolutely correct about this: when it comes to player agency, the battle system is what your game will mostly be about. Until you guys can show off the part of the game where players can actually interact with, the stuff you're showing off only has value for yourselves. A cool story, interesting locales and great characters are wasted if your game is no fun for your players to play. You're putting up an indy crowdfunding campaign based entirely on fluff that, so far, has no meaning for anybody except for you guys. What is in it for the player to crowdfund this game? Ideas are cheap.

Yes, making the battle system is one of the harder and riskier parts; that's entirely why showing it off means that you have your poo poo together and that there might be some value there. Crowdfunding goes well with needing to create more assets and funding general production, but you guys are barely a step into pre-production. People aren't going to fund ideas.

it is not harder or riskier it is only if you have no experience, we have experience to bring games to completion, so it is only "expensive"... mainly because it does need time and manpower which is not really cheap nowadays but I agree it is up to any backers to see if we have the capabilities or not to move forward based on what we have already achieved, but we are damned serious about it. Honeslty it is difficult to understand why people in here are so in a hate with others trying to create something, nobody is forced to back the game, those who already did, believe on the game and would like to play it and we want to do games for people who enjoy to play them, that's the goal we want to achieve with that crowdfunding campaign.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

hyperdevbox posted:

That is funny because, usually, it is EXACTLY how advance on royalty works when you develop a video game for a publisher..., either a working prototype or simply a game design document, so maybe you did not choose the right job after all ^^

Maybe if your publisher is your mom but an actually company always want to know how the full thing is going to work out. The point people are trying to explain is that you don't seem to be approaching it from a first time crowd funding perspective.

You keep using terms that you think are supposed to pop with video game players but don't actually say much about the game itself. Saying its a jrpg doesn't tell you anything about the game. Do you run around an overworld like final fantasy? Is it just a line map with vn segments like a neptunia game? Mission based like disgaea? Am I going to be balancing relationships or is it just a linear story? There's so many gritty details that you gloss over that any actual publisher would laugh at. Where is all your money going? How much are you spending on voice acting if it's all being done in house? Is that going to impact people's workloads when they're already doing their primary jobs?

And of what is there why should it appeal to people? Why would anyone care about character backgrounds? No one but your team have seen anything about the characters. You don't have a scene of funny dialog or cool action for these characters to make us like them. Even games like all of obsidian's crowd funding stuff focused on gameplay even though it was always going to be about their writing and characters.

Why should anyone believe in a story and be fans for something they know nothing about. I wrote a draft of a novel that's not done yet. I don't expect anyone to care because why would they? You can't just expect fans to exist because you say so. Your most expensive backer reward is to put yourself in the game but why would anyone want to be in the game? Would you like to give me 20,000 dollars to be in my incomplete novel? It's the same thing you're asking of someone.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Actively hostile dev, unsubscribe.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

randombattle posted:

Why should anyone believe in a story and be fans for something they know nothing about. I wrote a draft of a novel that's not done yet. I don't expect anyone to care because why would they? You can't just expect fans to exist because you say so. Your most expensive backer reward is to put yourself in the game but why would anyone want to be in the game? Would you like to give me 20,000 dollars to be in my incomplete novel? It's the same thing you're asking of someone.

Maybe people would care about your novel if you ran a contest where the winner gets a framed drawing of one of the characters in the novel.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

hyperdevbox posted:

Okay so where's your working prototype?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So, given that this is a tactical rpg, I imagine that the majority of the gameplay is the battle system. Can you tell us about how it works? I didn't see a good description of the actual game mechanics on your website.

How does the turn system work? Is it just "spend action points until they're gone", or can you leave some in reserve to counterattack or parry an enemy attack Does moving on the same turn as attacking give you an accuracy penalty? Can the enemy interrupt your turn and if so, how? Is there armour and if so does it do damage reduction, to-hit reduction, both, or something else? Given the "realistic" historical setting, why would I ever want to use a sword instead of a gun?

I know there must be something interesting going on as there is a sketch showing the player character flanking an enemy, but it is not at all clear as to how it works.

This is the kind of thing everyone means by gameplay. Specifically, we are interested to know some details on the game mechanics. Otherwise we do not have a good indication as to whether your game will actually be fun to play.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
It is unfortunate that hyperdevbox doesn't see how people are legitimately trying to help them. This sort of uniquely direct line to customers who aren't afraid to give honest criticism is very valuable! I hope they will come around and make a good game. :unsmith:

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Okay so where's your working prototype?

Our working prototype is demonstrated in the pitch video.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

hyperdevbox posted:

we are damned serious about it. Honeslty

We is seriuz bout gaem, givvus some dosh. writ large.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Greaseman posted:

It is unfortunate that hyperdevbox doesn't see how people are legitimately trying to help them. This sort of uniquely direct line to customers who aren't afraid to give honest criticism is very valuable! I hope they will come around and make a good game. :unsmith:

Thank you very much, it is true that finally we are getting some comments about the game and questions that we can answer, after zillion of guillotines jokes, and we are answering as much as we can so we are definitely not afraid of having a direct line with (potential)customers, backers can already ask us questions anytime on the indiegogo page.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

hyperdevbox posted:

Yeesh.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The only way the game can come out is if the "let them eat cake"-style out of touch devs are guillotined and the honest, hardworking, empathetic ones rule the company.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

OP are you the guy in the blue shirt in the gofundme video

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy Achmed posted:

So, given that this is a tactical rpg, I imagine that the majority of the gameplay is the battle system. Can you tell us about how it works? I didn't see a good description of the actual game mechanics on your website.

How does the turn system work? Is it just "spend action points until they're gone", or can you leave some in reserve to counterattack or parry an enemy attack Does moving on the same turn as attacking give you an accuracy penalty? Can the enemy interrupt your turn and if so, how? Is there armour and if so does it do damage reduction, to-hit reduction, both, or something else? Given the "realistic" historical setting, why would I ever want to use a sword instead of a gun?

I know there must be something interesting going on as there is a sketch showing the player character flanking an enemy, but it is not at all clear as to how it works.

This is the kind of thing everyone means by gameplay. Specifically, we are interested to know some details on the game mechanics. Otherwise we do not have a good indication as to whether your game will actually be fun to play.

The battle system is a regular turn base system so player have a certain amount of action point that you can use to do certain action, should it be for moving your character, do an attack, use an item etc...., during the moving phase of your character, you do select by point and click the full path that your character will follow unlike most of jrpgs where only the destination grid-square is important and not the path itself. In thermidor as you will be building your path, our “Dynamic Awareness System” will analyze in realtime the most dangerous grid square, on your path, where you can potentially be seen and interrupted by one or many surrounding enemies based on their faculty to be aware of what is happening in the game field, enemies who will then, based on the resolution formula, initiate, or not, an action break attack on your character as you are moving on your path, the probability to be detected will be displayed to the player as a probability percentage before the validation of the path, so you will be able to try and experiment different scenario. As any other jrpgs, Thermidor will have items, like armors, weapons and others that will of course affect your hit damage, your health, your strength, your speed and also help you to make your enemies "less aware" of your presence. One of the specificity of Thermidor is that weapons (and so skills attached to a weapon) are not dedicated to a character but all characters can develop the ability to use a certain weapon by practicing it, finally, one character after receiving a big hit damage for example, could drop his current weapon in the game field (you will be able also to give your weapon to another member of your party who has more ability with that weapon to do a better accurate attack). While any weapon (or any dropped item) is on the game field, any characters (or enemies) could decide to pick it up and use it, eventually against you. To answer why would you like to use a sword against a gun..well if you have a better experience practicing the sword then you can do greater damage than using a gun but you will need to be closer, also, sword can do multiple hit based on your speed, while gun/riffle will just shoot 1 bullet (but you can shoot from a greater distance), however the greater the distance, the less accurate your shoot will be.
Hope this can bring more details about the unique battle system behind Thermidor ^^

hyperdevbox fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 23, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Sounds like the gameplay is....

... revolutionary!

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

Sounds like the gameplay is....

... revolutionary!

Thanks, we should use this one :D

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So it's a bog-standard battle system except there's a saving throw to determine if an enemy in your vicinity will shoot you in the face as you move

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kelp Me! posted:

So it's a bog-standard battle system except there's a saving throw to determine if an enemy in your vicinity will shoot you in the face as you move

We will be able to do in Thermidor some team actions that are not available (to my knowledge) in other common tactical turn based jrpgs, for example Leandre has a good experience shooting with the rifle but he currently has no rifle in his hands, one enemy carries a rifle, another member of your party, in position to attack the enemy, will try to inflict enough hit damages to the enemy to have the rifle dropped, then will move , picks it up and passes it to Leandre (who was in the vicinity), Leandre can now shoot with the weapon, just an example of a possible scenario.

hyperdevbox fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 23, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

hyperdevbox posted:

We will be able to do in Thermidor some team actions that are not available (to my knowledge) in other common tactical turn based jrpgs, for example Leandre has a good experience shooting with the riffle but he currently has no riffle in his hand, one enemy carry a riffle, another member of your party, in position to attack the enemy, will try to inflict enough hit damages to the enemy to have the riffle dropped, then will move , pick the riffle and throw it to Leandre (who was in the vicinity), Leandre can now shoot with the riffle, just an example of a possible scenario.

Front Mission 4 did this

Also some legit advice: if you're releasing a game in English, get someone who has good English to do your PR. In all honesty I'm not trolling you here, but that paragraph was extremely hard to understand. Also misspelling game-critical elements like "rifle" doesn't bode well for your game script TBH.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

hyperdevbox posted:

That's not really a working prototype...

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kelp Me! posted:

Front Mission 4 did this

Also some legit advice: if you're releasing a game in English, get someone who has good English to do your PR. In all honesty I'm not trolling you here, but that paragraph was extremely hard to understand. Also misspelling game-critical elements like "rifle" doesn't bode well for your game script TBH.

You are totally correct, rifle and not riffle .

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Since other professionals are pitching in: if you don't have enough business sense to present yourself professionally and insist on writing out paragraphs filled with poor grammar and awkward sentences, as well as nebulous answers lacking the technical depth that people are asking about, why should I believe that you can produce a quality title worth investing in when there are 100's of other SRPGs I could check out instead? Also, you're getting defensive. Don't be dumb. This is marketing 101, guys. Surely you can hire a PR guy if your earlier projects were such hits.

Link us to your earlier projects, maybe that'll boost your credibility.

Source: Am a professional/technical writer whose clients understand how important it is to deliver clear, consice messages when it comes to communciating with people whose money you want, and when marketing/pitching your game.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 23, 2016

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

KingSlime posted:

Since other professionals are pitching in: if you don't have enough business sense to present yourself professionally and insist on writing out paragraphs filled with poor grammar and awkward sentences, as well as nebulous answers lacking the technical depth that people are asking about, why should I believe that you can produce a quality title worth investing in when there are 100's of other SRPGs I could check out instead? Also, you're getting defensive. Don't be dumb. This is marketing 101, guys. Surely you can hire a PR guy if your earlier projects were such hits.

Link us to your earlier projects, maybe that'll boost your credibility.

Source: Am a professional/technical writer whose clients understand how important it is to deliver clear, consice messages when it comes to communciating with people whose money you want, and when marketing/pitching your game.

Sorry buddy but it's been established that us writers have never made a video game and, unfortunately, aren't allowed to comment about anything, ever. Their marketing and game design are flawless and should be treated as such.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
KingSlime posted:

"consice" and "communciating" .... yes, please keep the good work Mr professional/technical writer !

As Hyperdevbox Japan, we have an official public website where details about past published games are available, ...now what about you ? who are you ? Please kindly link some of your earlier projects so we can check the result of your past campaigns, maybe that will boost your credibility more than any of your post in here...

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

hyperdevbox posted:

KingSlime posted:

"consice" and "communciating" .... yes, please keep the good work Mr professional/technical writer !

As Hyperdevbox Japan, we have an official public website where details about past published games are available, ...now what about you ? who are you ? Please kindly link some of your earlier projects so we can check the result of your past campaigns, maybe that will boost your credibility more than any of your post in here...

You are the last person on earth to criticize someone else's grammar/spelling holy poo poo.

And since you need it spelled out again; your 'what have you done' defense is the laziest, stupidest way to go about criticism. If someone criticizes something of mine (even harsh/cruelly!) my first instinct is to engage them respectfully to figure out why they didn't like it and what I need to improve on. You think you're rolling with the punches here but you're really coming off like an entitled baby.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

hyperdevbox posted:

KingSlime posted:

He isn't trying to get people to give him money, though. This isn't a contest, and his underlying points have merit. It would probably help your advertising if instead of this accusatory approach, you actually did things like link the site you're mentioning.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hyperdevbox posted:

Post an exact similar gameplay video made by you using your favorite game framework and with your original character design, I just cannot wait to see your "0 gameplay" for next week ^^

gently caress off

people here, i dont know why, are giving you great advice for free. you came here asking for money and all you got to show is not even a proof of concept.

https://www.patreon.com/CloudMeadow these guys in patreon are doing a better job in showing his smut game than you, so called, professionals.

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

hyperdevbox posted:

lol I'm not the one trying to get my game funded, fuckstick, and nobody pays me to clean up grammar on my forums posts so

this was fun though, I've enjoyed thermidor the guillotine forums experience

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 23, 2016

• Locked thread