Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Batman Begins owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Retro Futurist posted:

Spider-Man and X-Men were pretty damned big and in the middle of all that

I know I'm just going off of what Rhyno was saying about the relaunch. When Begins came out we didn't yet know that Spider-Man's next film was going to hobble that property for years and Iron Man was the start of the MCU.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Dick Tracy, The Rocketeer, The Shadow, The Phantom, The Punisher (Dolph Lundgren), Captain America (Matt Salinger), Spawn, Steel.

Also Darkman.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

Wasn't the Dolph Punisher film shot in 1987 and it sat in a drawer for a few years?

Apparently it was slated to be released about two months after Batman premiered, but was pushed back until April, '91. Except in West Germany. It sounds like a very complicated production.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Also Darkman.

Dammit, I forgot Darkman. And there were also two sequels that I've never seen... probably for the best.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

Batman Begins owned.

Hell yes it did. They can go ahead and reuse Cillian Murphy and Gary Oldman in every Batman franchise, I will not be complaining.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

People can say a lot of poo poo about Nolan as a director, and I'd agree with most of them, but he sure knows his casting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

Apparently it was slated to be released about two months after Batman premiered, but was pushed back until April, '91. Except in West Germany. It sounds like a very complicated production.

I think there was a large gap in the shooting as well, like a multi month long break. There was an issue of Starlog that detailed it but it was like 25 years ago.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Retro Futurist posted:

Spider-Man and X-Men were pretty damned big and in the middle of all that

X-Men was also the start of superhero movies being acceptable vehicles for "real" actors, that cannot be overstated.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think Begins has one of my favorite versions of Gotham. The Narrows just look like a human ant-hill and the city over all has a very old feel to it, with layers built upon layers. TDK and DKR just look like they're in Chicago.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

rantmo posted:

X-Men was also the start of superhero movies being acceptable vehicles for "real" actors, that cannot be overstated.

Do Jack Nicholson, Brando, Gene Hackman, Danny DeVito, Michelle Pfieffer, Ned Beatty, Tommy Lee Jones, Jim Carrey, Schwarzenegger, Liam Neeson, George Clooney and Wesley Snipes factor into this opinion? I don't think your observation holds up. poo poo, Richard Pryor was in Superman 3. If you want to count Dick Tracy, you have Pacino and Warren Beatty.

Plenty of "real actors" have appeared in superhero stuff before X-Men.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also Patrick Stewart is not a "real" actor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I will fight you. :colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I saw that Christmas Carol he did, it was terrible. How do you gently caress up a role that simple?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rantmo posted:

As stated, this is the wrongest post.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Aphrodite posted:

Mods?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

One, there was an undeniable sea change that happened with X-Men, comic book movies became seen as something more than a lark/paycheck. Whether or not that is true in some objective sense is irrelevant, perceptions changed in the industry. Two, that's in no small part due to the fact that it featured two of the finest living Shakesperean actors and I don't even need to argue about the quality of Mckellan and Stewart.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody cares about the BBC or Theater or Star Trek, man.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Aphrodite posted:

Nobody cares about the BBC or Theater or Star Trek, man.

Do I have to choke a bitch?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

rantmo posted:

One, there was an undeniable sea change that happened with X-Men, comic book movies became seen as something more than a lark/paycheck. Whether or not that is true in some objective sense is irrelevant, perceptions changed in the industry. Two, that's in no small part due to the fact that it featured two of the finest living Shakesperean actors and I don't even need to argue about the quality of Mckellan and Stewart.

No, you don't, but superhero movies featuring great actors (legends even) predates X-Men.

poo poo, I wouldn't even arguer that X-Men was driven primarily by star power. McKellan and Stewart are great but neither of them had resumes (at the time) rivaling the people I mentioned. The only other big name in that film was Halle Barry. Hugh Jackman, playing the most popular character in the comic, was barely on anyone's radar at that time.

If any film made superhero movies "acceptable for real actors" it was Batman and, arguably, Superman before that. Even the old Batman TV series featured several well known accomplished actors as villains.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Arnie was at one time the biggest box office draw on the planet and he did a Batman film years before X-Men.

Now you all have his terrible Mr Freeze puns in your heads.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Rhyno posted:

Arnie was at one time the biggest box office draw on the planet and he did a Batman film years before X-Men.

Now you all have his terrible Mr Freeze puns in your heads.

I would but I can't get over someone saying that Patrick Stewart isn't a real actor. Waterhaul posts ITT fairly regularly to tell it to stop being so bad, but there is not a single peep on this critical issue :O

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waterhaul hasn't been mod for like 6+ months.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Waterhaul hasn't been mod for like 6+ months.

We shook off the shackles of terrible modding a lot longer ago than that. XO's been the boss in BSS for like a year and a half at least.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Time is a flat circle.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

Time is a flat circle.

Your mom is a flat circle

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

XO knows Star Trek for what it is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Your mom is a flat circle

My mom's hot.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

My mom's hot.

:yikes:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dammit, I forgot Darkman. And there were also two sequels that I've never seen... probably for the best.

Darkman II: Return of Durant is fine. It reveals that Durant didn't die when his helicopter crashed into the bridge and exploded at the end of Darkman, but was instead in a coma for a while. He recovers, breaks a mad scientist out of jail and pays him to manufacture a laser gun which he plans to sell on the black market. There's one scene I remember where his buyers are these neo-Nazi terrorists, and after he demonstrates the weapon and they agree the sale, the Nazi leader proposes a toast and says, "To the right to bear arms!" and Durant's like, "The far right!"

The sequels also give Darkman (now played by Arnold Vosloo of The Mummy fame) this locomotive he rides around the subway on so he can get to and from his Darkmancave.

Raimi originally wanted to adapt either The Shadow or The Phantom but created Darkman when he couldn't get the rights for either of those. Imagine Sami Raimi's Shadow with Liam Neeson as Lamont Cranston.

Another movie that you might be able to slot into that generation, but one that I think bridges the Batman '89 era and the Blade era, is The Crow.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 22, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Aphrodite posted:

XO knows Star Trek for what it is.

Two good movies since 2009?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Another movie that you might be able to slot into that generation, but one that I think bridges the Batman '89 era and the Blade era, is The Crow.

Oh absolutely. Pity about the sequels.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

The sequels also give Darkman (now played by Arnold Vosloo of The Mummy fame) this locomotive he rides around the subway on so he can get to and from his Darkmancave.

Raimi originally wanted to adapt either The Shadow or The Phantom but created Darkman when he couldn't get the rights for either of those. Imagine Sami Raimi's Shadow with Liam Neeson as Lamont Cranston.

Good call on The Crow. And the subterranean Darkman choo-choo train sounds incredible!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Oh absolutely. Pity about the sequels.

I've never seen the Crow sequels. I think they star martial arts guys who later became better known for other stuff? Is Scott Adkins in one or am I mistaken?

Good call on The Crow. And the subterranean Darkman choo-choo train sounds incredible!

Here's what it looks like (from Darkman III).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dunno if the crow is a superhero, turns out he wasnt as undead as he thought

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've never seen the Crow sequels. I think they star martial arts guys who later became better known for other stuff? Is Scott Adkins in one or am I mistaken?

The three sequels starred Vincent Perez, Eric Mabius and Edward Furlong (lol) respectively, none of whom were martial artists. There was a single season tv series that starred Marc Dacascos who was an accomplished martial artist, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

The three sequels starred Vincent Perez, Eric Mabius and Edward Furlong (lol) respectively, none of whom were martial artists. There was a single season tv series that starred Marc Dacascos who was an accomplished martial artist, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Yeah, must have been. I remember reading the series bible for the TV series (written by Bryce Zabel, who's done loads of stuff - he was the creator of Dark Skies, the showrunner for Sam Raimi's M.A.N.T.I.S. show* and a writer and producer on Lois & Clark) and it talked about how it was important that they have a credible martial artist as the lead and a really good rock soundtrack. I've not seen the series so I don't know how successful they were on either front. Not sure where I got Scott Adkins from; I'm not sure what he's been in that made me think "Crow sequel".

So, the sequels aren't very good, then? :v:

* Can you imagine an alternate universe where Raimi's greatest success as a film director was this big screen Darkman v M.A.N.T.I.S. production? :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The sequels are so bad. The show wasn't much better. We almost got a Crow film starring DMX but production crashed and burned. I'd read that most of the film was actually shot but there's no stills or set photos anywhere so I don't know if I believe that anymore.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Crow TV show was absolutely dreadful. It's first arc was like the community theater version of the plot to the first movie, and they introduced an opposing bad guy set of undeads who are bad because they kill and take revenge, and Draven...doesn't? Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

Batman Begins owned.

I prefer it to Rises, but something stops it from being great. Maybe the climax with Ra's? I'd have to rewatch if.

• Locked thread