Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
...and the verdict is: power supply!

Looks like that little Corsair just can't handle it. I popped on my old one with a 650W rating and it's been running through all the benchmarks. I'm looking an alternative small supply with a little more watts.

Edit edit: It's like a horror movie. You think you've figured it out, and it looks fine. Then you got to play some Minecraft and the thing starts making GBS threads itself. Then the stress test start making GBS threads themselves. I'm just getting a whole new motherboard while I'm at it.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hey pals and friends, what are your fav SFX/SFF PSUs? As far as I can tell, EVGA doesnt make any in that form factor. Who makes the best stuff?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
The field is mostly corsair and silverstone, and the corsair sf450 looks pretty great if that's how much power you need, but I'm not as 100% sure with the higher rated ones.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'll be trying the Silverstone SX600-G in a few days. Of particular concern to me with that one is that I think I'm using every port on the thing. It doesn't have too many.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dali Parton posted:

Hey pals and friends, what are your fav SFX/SFF PSUs? As far as I can tell, EVGA doesnt make any in that form factor. Who makes the best stuff?

I was just looking at this and the reviews suggest he Corsair offerings at 450w and 600w are the best. I put a 450w in my Node 304 mostly just for more space and it's been awesome. Semi fanless seems to actually work well, I haven't heard it at all.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I got the corsair sf600 and its fantastic. I think the jonnyguru rating is like 9.75, and it has near platinum efficiency. The only mark is its like $100-120, but its an amazing little unit.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Corsair and Silverstone are the main ones, though Lian Li and some else I've forgotten are getting in on the action.

I have a Corsair Sf600 and it's been nothing but brilliant. Never hear it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is there an easily available ITX case similar to the Dancase or Mcase? I have a Node 304 but would like to go smaller, but not in a console shape. I really hate the idea of dropping nearly 200 on a case, and also waiting.

Two 2.5 drives and a 2 fan GPU is my current setup, with a AIO 120mm setup for the CPU.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Is there an easily available ITX case similar to the Dancase or Mcase? I have a Node 304 but would like to go smaller, but not in a console shape. I really hate the idea of dropping nearly 200 on a case, and also waiting.

Two 2.5 drives and a 2 fan GPU is my current setup, with a AIO 120mm setup for the CPU.

Sg13b

Man no one reads the OP or second post.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

Sg13b

Man no one reads the OP or second post.
Depends if they want the little tower look I guess, like that one is fine but I'm not a fan of the shape vs the Ncase (...which I think could stand to be a bit shorter depth wise by cutting out ATX PSU support).

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I like the style of the Silverstone FT-03 Mini, but I'm not sold on the one fan.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I like the style of the Silverstone FT-03 Mini, but I'm not sold on the one fan.

I have one, it's pretty nice but it just sits around empty. Unfortunately the old side panel design really choked out the video card, which was not a blower. I tried contacting Silverstone about getting a new side panel, but they never got back to me. Maybe I should try again. It's not super compact but it does fit an H60, which I also had for that build which is nice.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have an H60 as well, but no blower. I'm just not a huge fan of the Sugo series. I wish Fractal did the Nano S as something like a 2/3 model.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
I saw some news on pricing for Kaby Lake chips. I'm wondering if they'll include thunderbolt 3 on Z270 motherboards, and if said motherboards would be available in mini-itx. A girl can dream....

Also, are there any, like, buyable cases that use a PCI-E riser to get around the thickness limit imposed by having the GPU jut out from the mobo? For that matter, is there anything for less than $100 that's significantly smaller than, say, a bitfenix prodigy or cougar qbx? And not a lovely home theater pc case with no room for anything

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

lock stock and Cheryl posted:

I saw some news on pricing for Kaby Lake chips. I'm wondering if they'll include thunderbolt 3 on Z270 motherboards, and if said motherboards would be available in mini-itx. A girl can dream....

Also, are there any, like, buyable cases that use a PCI-E riser to get around the thickness limit imposed by having the GPU jut out from the mobo? For that matter, is there anything for less than $100 that's significantly smaller than, say, a bitfenix prodigy or cougar qbx? And not a lovely home theater pc case with no room for anything

I would be pretty excited if mITX boards came with dual M.2 slots.

As for cases, the second post in this thread is up to date. ML08, RVZ02, RVZ01, RVZ01-E, and Node 202 are pretty much your choices.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

lock stock and Cheryl posted:

I'm messing with this one right here, as you can probably see from all the prior bitching and moaning. However, it doesn't appear to be a fault with the riser mechanism. They have a 90-degree adapter and then a riser. This lets you lay everything out basically flat. You wind up with a case that is about as deep as a minitower, but it is particularly much more narrow.

There's a lot of coddling you have to do to anchor the video card. You have to screw in the 90-degree adapter, screw the video card's backplate into the case, and then secure some additional little blocks between the case and the video card.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There's a lot of coddling you have to do to anchor the video card. You have to screw in the 90-degree adapter, screw the video card's backplate into the case, and then secure some additional little blocks between the case and the video card.

Note that certain cards prevent this support from being installed. My MSI fits in the case, but I wish I had gone with a narrower card so there would be room for the support.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone know what's going on with the 2nd run of the DAN A4 cases? the A4 and the SG13B are the only two cases I've seen that'll fit inside my pelican case for Dreamhack's this year.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Okay I don't know what the hell is going on here. I'm still getting hard hangs.

I got a new motherboard: ASUS B150I PRO GAMING/WIFI/AURA Motherboard

I also got a SilverStone SX600-G power supply. It pushes 600W.

The first tests I did was with my old desktop supply with the new motherboard. That was looking okayish. That is, it didn't poo poo itself while messing around in Minecraft, nor did it crash with 3dmark, but it did hang with Unigine's Heaven benchmark. It did take awhile and I suspect it got hot, but I wasn't there to tell.

When I popped in the SilverStone power supply, it died in 3dmark and Minecraft.

I have to double check my old 660 Ti. If that works then it's the RX 480 video card. If not, then I think it's the whole riser thing. If I can't make it work, then I think I'll have to stick with a mid-tower.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I won't even upgrade until next year or so (780 is still holding up well), but I've been toying around with a new build. How does this sound as a hypothetical build as if I needed it right now:

Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case w/450W Power Supply
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Aero

Don't need storage, I'd just move my 850 Evo and Barracuda over. I don't know if the PSU on the case is a good idea or if I should just buy a separate one. Or if I even need the better cooler if I don't OC. I just want colder temps and $30 seems like a "peace of mind" purchase to keep it colder in a cramped space.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I won't even upgrade until next year or so (780 is still holding up well), but I've been toying around with a new build. How does this sound as a hypothetical build as if I needed it right now:

Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case w/450W Power Supply
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Aero

Don't need storage, I'd just move my 850 Evo and Barracuda over. I don't know if the PSU on the case is a good idea or if I should just buy a separate one. Or if I even need the better cooler if I don't OC. I just want colder temps and $30 seems like a "peace of mind" purchase to keep it colder in a cramped space.

Well you don't really need a separate cooler, the stock one will work fine. Also a B150 mobo can't run RAM faster than 2133mhz anyway, so you might as well save a few bucks by dropping down to something at 2133.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Shanghaied posted:

Well you don't really need a separate cooler, the stock one will work fine. Also a B150 mobo can't run RAM faster than 2133mhz anyway, so you might as well save a few bucks by dropping down to something at 2133.

Oh, well drat. Guess I'll fix that, thanks.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The C7 will probably run cooler and quieter than the stock Intel CPU. You don't absolutely need it, but it's pretty cheap.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I'll be surprised if you can hear the stock cooler over that blower 1070 under load and I'd be surprised if you can hear either when you're idling, and it doesn't really confer any benefit to run at 30C instead of 50C if you're not able to overclock. You can buy it if you want, but it's definitely unnecessary.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

The C7 will probably run cooler and quieter than the stock Intel CPU. You don't absolutely need it, but it's pretty cheap.

Eletriarnation posted:

I'll be surprised if you can hear the stock cooler over that blower 1070 under load and I'd be surprised if you can hear either when you're idling, and it doesn't really confer any benefit to run at 30C instead of 50C if you're not able to overclock. You can buy it if you want, but it's definitely unnecessary.

Yeah I dropped it. I wouldn't have room in the 202 to put a Water-cooled GPU, would I?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Probably not. I'm pondering if there's any SFF mITX case that can still be fitted with a water cooling rig to make it near silent even under load.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
fractal nano s master race.

why get mini parts when you can go full size parts and get a beast of a rig in a small package?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Yeah I dropped it. I wouldn't have room in the 202 to put a Water-cooled GPU, would I?

Not with a GPU that big and not without modification to the case, but it can be done.

https://youtu.be/5RBi7wObZM4

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

AEMINAL posted:

fractal nano s master race.

why get mini parts when you can go full size parts and get a beast of a rig in a small package?

Small is a relative term; if you're going to ask why someone doesn't get a full-depth case to allow for normal parts, they might ask you why mini ITX matters at all if you're OK with a 27L case. ;) The Node 202 is barely a third of that volume.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Eletriarnation posted:

Small is a relative term; if you're going to ask why someone doesn't get a full-depth case to allow for normal parts, they might ask you why mini ITX matters at all if you're OK with a 27L case. ;) The Node 202 is barely a third of that volume.

its just such a good case though....

gonna p0st my build again:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Oh, I totally agree that it looks great - I have the full-size Define S and like it a lot. But the Nano S has almost the same footprint as the full sized thing and is over half the height - it's smaller, but so that you still have room for airflow they're not doing much shrinking beyond the obvious reduction in the mainboard backplate.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

AEMINAL posted:

Having JUST gotten said case, I agree that it's a thing of beauty. I think a lot of reviews get it right when they say it's great because it gives you the comfort and space you'd expect for cable management (and even watercooling) while still maintaining the mITX form factor.

Granted, it's not going to win any awards for the smallest mITX case, but it does afford you a lot of flexibility in that form factor.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

Oh, I totally agree that it looks great - I have the full-size Define S and like it a lot. But the Nano S has almost the same footprint as the full sized thing and is over half the height - it's smaller, but so that you still have room for airflow they're not doing much shrinking beyond the obvious reduction in the mainboard backplate.

I would never say its a bad case, but things like cable management are mattering less and less these days with previously onboard components moving to the processor and, you know, no longer using horribly restrictive ribbon IDE cables. I just look at it and see a lot of wasted space in the top right, enough space to fit a PSU and then make the entire case shorter. In fact, that's what an M1 is.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

I would never say its a bad case, but things like cable management are mattering less and less these days with previously onboard components moving to the processor and, you know, no longer using horribly restrictive ribbon IDE cables. I just look at it and see a lot of wasted space in the top right, enough space to fit a PSU and then make the entire case shorter. In fact, that's what an M1 is.

Yeah, I was just thinking this. The diagram for the Nano S clearly the pump and reservoir in that empty space. If you're using air cooling, or a self contained liquid cooler, it seems like you could chop that off by at least 4 inches.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

VulgarandStupid posted:

I just look at it and see a lot of wasted space in the top right, enough space to fit a PSU and then make the entire case shorter. In fact, that's what an M1 is.
Yeah. Silverstone SG10 uses a similar layout, is 23L and takes microATX motherboards. I've posted about this case before as it is awesome:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

AEMINAL posted:

How hot does the 1070 get though? I almost went with that case but I noticed the PSU practically covers up one fan.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Dali Parton posted:

How hot does the 1070 get though? I almost went with that case but I noticed the PSU practically covers up one fan.

I guess the usual mITX advice applies - use a single-fan blower card.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Dali Parton posted:

Runs at about 65-67 with the fan at 40% in Battlefield 1

Edit: also its dead quiet, at first I kept thinking my PC had shut off when I got home lol

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 23, 2016

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

AEMINAL posted:

Runs at about 65-67 with the fan at 40% in Battlefield 1

Edit: also its dead quiet, at first I kept thinking my PC had shut off when I got home lol

You're talking about a blower card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

jokes posted:

You're talking about a blower card?

He doesn't have a blower card, you can tell in his picture.