Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

MrJacobs posted:

If you want to be competitive why would you not buy the characters?

That's the complaint: that it's mandatory expense on top of the full price game.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's not a hard argument to follow (or sympathize with).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

MrJacobs posted:

If you want to be competitive why would you not buy the characters?

exactly my point, thank you

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Corbeau posted:

That's the complaint: that it's mandatory expense on top of the full price game.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's not a hard argument to follow (or sympathize with).

Then don't be competitive and just play with your friends every few days/weeks/months like a normal game. If you want to go the extra step, buy the characters. It's not mandatory to anything but your own ego and drive.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
wtf lol "dont be competitive" yo thats a great argument for a purely competitive game

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

dangerdoom volvo posted:

wtf lol "dont be competitive" yo thats a great argument for a purely competitive game

no

its a party game

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I know you motherfuckers would rather dogpile than read, but the dude is arguing about a purely F2P model. Everyone knows SFV shat the bed on that, but even then you guys defend games that do worse (hey arcsys full priced release for four new characters and a couple of new mechanics) so I dunno.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Dias posted:

I know you motherfuckers would rather dogpile than read, but the dude is arguing about a purely F2P model. Everyone knows SFV shat the bed on that, but even then you guys defend games that do worse (hey arcsys full priced release for four new characters and a couple of new mechanics) so I dunno.

Who is defending the full priced xrd release?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Everyone who tells people to buy it instead of playing street fighter, constantly.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

me

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Sign and Rev were both twice the game SF5 is. So if you bought both you're paying less than Complete SF5 for 4x the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Corbeau posted:

Everyone who tells people to buy it instead of playing street fighter, constantly.
:doh:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dias posted:

what xrd did is unacceptable, but it at least has enough content to justify a 60 dollar price tag if its your first time buying. it doesn't really have enough content to justify that two releases in a row tho lol.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
All characters unlocked at start

$.50 = 1 credit
1 credit to play/continue

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't need to buy Rev since I already have a PC anime air-dasher (Street Fighter V)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The funny thing is that I'm willing to give them a pass on Xrd to Rev, but that's a historical issue with the company. I've said my piece before about how I do believe SFV had the correct idea regarding business models, they just hosed it up, but the Western model is miles better than full-price release that turns your old game into basically a cup holder. Season passes, buy the characters you like and if you get THAT serious about the game, buy the other ones - and really, there's a chance that by the time you do, those dudes will be sold at a discount anyway. Like, I can't see how you can argue AGAINST that and in favor of revisions. Wasn't that the joke about Capcom during SF4 era anyway?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
SFV really should have been a $30 launch game with the current system they are using. That gripe is legit and I feel a bit bummed out that I paid full price earlier this year, but that is a video game problem in general. Without looking I'm sure I'm 100+ hours of gameplay in it so it isn't that bad personally from a value sense compared to other poo poo I've bought. It is also now basically a $20-30 game so whatever.

I do agree with whoever said that Capcom should have gone the DotA route and milked people for cosmetics more than what they are doing now. I don't get why would cant do custom intros or victory poses or taunts or special particles on your fireballs or poo poo like that. It seems like a no brainer way to better fund your game.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Dias posted:

Like, I can't see how you can argue AGAINST that and in favor of revisions.

Those aren't the only two options though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Custom intros and win screens would own bones. If load times weren't complete poo poo I wouldn't even mind making intros unskippable. Not so hot on custom fb effects or whatever though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Those aren't the only two options though.

There's the OW model, but imagine if you had a freakin' lootbox system in SFV, just imagine it. Other than that, you have "pay full price, we won't add poo poo but we'll fix things for free", and I hope it's kinda obvious why that's stupid in an industry with idiotic turnover rates after each project.

About cosmetics, by the way: someone (probably Brosnan), how does Namco plan to do the whole customization thing in Tekken 7 home versions? I'm not super clear on how it works on arcade either, I vaguely remember being able to unlock items for free with fight points in 5, did they change that model? Actually, is the console version so late because they are gonna release it and be done with it?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
$4.99 for the Chun-li custom Red Bull Xtr3m3 Intro where she drives up in one of those goofy cars they have with the big can on the trunk.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'd pay $5 to make the other player watch Karin get into a limo and drive off after every win tbh

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Valve has so purely poisoned the gaming community that now people are begging for more pointless micro transactions in the games they like

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

Valve has so purely poisoned the gaming community that now people are begging for more pointless micro transactions in the games they like

If whales paying for DLC means I get to enjoy free patches, I'm all for it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Just make your fuckin game worth whatever it comes out for and I don't give a gently caress about whatever else. I bought SFV at 30 and I'm still like ehhhhhhhhhh.

Edit: I hate alex but power bomb and headbutt are the poo poo and if tanking my lp is what it takes to play against people who actually block then so be it.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 22, 2016

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Sign and Rev were both twice the game SF5 is. So if you bought both you're paying less than Complete SF5 for 4x the game.

Don't worry boys you can get S1 and S2 for $48 bucks right now with the game of course

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2271

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Kwilty posted:

Don't worry boys you can get S1 and S2 for $48 bucks right now with the game of course

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2271

sweet

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I would buy a season pass for this game if it gave me something worthwhile besides lovely characters. As mentioned you can get three of them pretty fast if you're playing anyway. I have two and I haven't even finished story mode.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Plus your mom already has a trademark on 50 cent dp's.

:henget:

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Guess I needed to bold with the game of course

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE

does this even include all the content, like all the costumes and stages n' poo poo

someone do the work for me and tell me the total retail cost of everything sfv minus the soundtrack currently lol

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
My terrible opinions:

Akuma - Looks fun and I got rolled by one today so he's obvs OP. Desks combo vid was hot as hell. Buy.

Alex - Decent, probably a lot of fun if you know how to make people block a lot and are better at light p/k combo stuff than I am. Buy if you're bored with other grapplers or feel like playing non-zoning birdie.

Balrog - Haven't played him but looks like he has the high/low dash special stuff that Q had in 3rd strike, bionic aarrrrrrrm CA and a v-skill that makes him do a big rear end juggle punch combo. Probably don't buy.

Juri - Doesn't look as fun as SF4 and looks finicky to use. Haven't played her. I don't wanna buy but you might.

Urien - Decent, fun ranged buttons and aegis reflector stuff but his optimal combos are tough. Buy to play as speedo version or if you want to play something sort of like footsies.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Alex is fine, guys. :suicide:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

About cosmetics, by the way: someone (probably Brosnan), how does Namco plan to do the whole customization thing in Tekken 7 home versions? I'm not super clear on how it works on arcade either, I vaguely remember being able to unlock items for free with fight points in 5, did they change that model? Actually, is the console version so late because they are gonna release it and be done with it?

You remember right: there's gold you can use to buy cosmetics, and you get it for playing the game (winning matches, completing story mode, et al.). They add some fun randomness like slot machine bonuses and stuff to help you get bigger chunks of money, and other home releases have had little extras like Gold Rush mode, which is basically like GGXX MoM mode where beating the poo poo out of a CPU gets you progressively more cash. There are also some items that are performance-tied, where you buy a certain aura effect or w/e and it intensifies as your rank goes up, and there are a select few e-peen cosmetics that are awarded as prizes for major tournaments, so there could be literally 1 dude in the world with a specific item or in-game title.

None of that really changes with a home release; it's a way to create longer-term incentives in the arcade that still works just as well at home, only you don't have to pay per fight. They've never sold content as DLC, and typically earning items is faster and easier at home than at the arcade.

The answer to the last question was previously always "Yes, absolutely," but now that DLC is an expected part of a sustaining a game's life, people are actually starting to ask Harada to do it. He's always been really against selling characters for the reasons currently being discussed ITT, but since T7 axed a big chunk of old fan favorites, that might change.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Dias posted:

I've said my piece before about how I do believe SFV had the correct idea regarding business models, they just hosed it up

I feel that SFV is a pretty good experiment showing that this model fundamentally does not work and that the old model, while not flawless, is way better.

Not only is capcom a pretty big company that can lose money every year and still exist because of monster hunter/releasing old games, but they got funded by sony and they still can't make basically any part of this games online/F2P stuff acceptable almost a year later.

The only other FG that could claim to have the level of potential resources that capcom had for this game are killer instinct (who make it work ok because microsoft $$$) and maybe tekken.

Everyone else is some real small company that basically just makes their one fighting game and that's it. You really think arcsys or exammu could do better than capcom at setting up a F2P online network when they can't even publish their games in europe? If the choice is between having to pay 50something bucks every 1.5 years or having to wait 1.5 years after release for the game to finally be good & for me to finally unlock all the characters, I'll pick the first one every single time.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Bitch Twinkles posted:

does this even include all the content, like all the costumes and stages n' poo poo

someone do the work for me and tell me the total retail cost of everything sfv minus the soundtrack currently lol

C'mon man you already know the answer

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I mean, Capcom pretty clearly took Sony's money and ran with absolute minimum effort.

And if the Rising Thunder devs ever make another game, they'll have Riot's money and technical experience available to them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brosnan posted:

You remember right: there's gold you can use to buy cosmetics, and you get it for playing the game (winning matches, completing story mode, et al.). They add some fun randomness like slot machine bonuses and stuff to help you get bigger chunks of money, and other home releases have had little extras like Gold Rush mode, which is basically like GGXX MoM mode where beating the poo poo out of a CPU gets you progressively more cash. There are also some items that are performance-tied, where you buy a certain aura effect or w/e and it intensifies as your rank goes up, and there are a select few e-peen cosmetics that are awarded as prizes for major tournaments, so there could be literally 1 dude in the world with a specific item or in-game title.

None of that really changes with a home release; it's a way to create longer-term incentives in the arcade that still works just as well at home, only you don't have to pay per fight. They've never sold content as DLC, and typically earning items is faster and easier at home than at the arcade.

The answer to the last question was previously always "Yes, absolutely," but now that DLC is an expected part of a sustaining a game's life, people are actually starting to ask Harada to do it. He's always been really against selling characters for the reasons currently being discussed ITT, but since T7 axed a big chunk of old fan favorites, that might change.

Okay, so it's kinda what I thought Namco was going for after all. Home port is the final release with lots of unlockable content, but since the market's changed they might think about DLC. I like that model, but I don't think it works nowadays, unfortunately. Recently I had a nostalgia trip and picked up Tekken 3, and holy poo poo that game has a lot to do if you're playing by yourself, but I'm not sure how well that would fly nowadays. I think people understand "balance" better in our current days, and you either release as-is and catch those issues later (and that takes time and money) or you delay and fix as much as you can before console release (which doesn't work as well if your game has more of a Western fanbase).

darealkooky posted:

I feel that SFV is a pretty good experiment showing that this model fundamentally does not work and that the old model, while not flawless, is way better.

Not only is capcom a pretty big company that can lose money every year and still exist because of monster hunter/releasing old games, but they got funded by sony and they still can't make basically any part of this games online/F2P stuff acceptable almost a year later.

The only other FG that could claim to have the level of potential resources that capcom had for this game are killer instinct (who make it work ok because microsoft $$$) and maybe tekken.

Everyone else is some real small company that basically just makes their one fighting game and that's it. You really think arcsys or exammu could do better than capcom at setting up a F2P online network when they can't even publish their games in europe? If the choice is between having to pay 50something bucks every 1.5 years or having to wait 1.5 years after release for the game to finally be good & for me to finally unlock all the characters, I'll pick the first one every single time.

Okay, I'm not defending SFV, I think it was a failure on every aspect, but it doesn't really say anything about the model. KI is still supported, they get new characters and SP content. MKX had a free system patch and even the hosed over PC players got it. Going full F2P is harder, of course, but continued support paid by DLC still feels like a hell of a better deal than $60 expansion packs to me. Plus, want it or not, that's the modern business model for competitive games with everyone being a lot more knowledgeable about balancing issues nowadays.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

People aren't actually more knowledgeable about balance they just think they are because it's easy to point to some online resource that says something they agree with.

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
Okay, you guys convinced me, I'll take SFV for 20bux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE
I don't think the model is foul, like dias. But the base product was woefully lacking and the entire pricing model and bundling of content (or lack of coherent bundling) is p.busted. Which is why anyone with half an intent to play on any sort of competitive level is bitter as heck.

Anyone saying "just don't buy the chars you don't main" either have dedicated lab sessions with people who do, or have only ever booted up training to do combos starting with j.hk.