Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Woah how'd you make that last sign? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I really am liking Planet Coaster and I just got a new GPU which is really making it much nicer.

My main frustration is that I'm bad at buildings. I always watch the pro videos and because they also speed them up they make them look so easy. When I do it, it takes me a minute just to correctly place a goddamn chimney and another 5 minutes to figure out how to actually build roofs.

Basically what I'm getting at is that I'm bad at the sandboxy-ness of this game. I'm good at designing dope as coasters, but anything else and I fall flat :saddowns:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Woah how'd you make that last sign? :stare:
It's in the game already! It's just in Scenery, under Misc Signs, I think.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Patch notes look pretty good.

Except for this one thing that is a pet peeve of mine:

quote:

Ride reputation decay added to medium, hard and harder challenge mode maps, as well as new career mode levels in Festive King Coaster's Crackers

Pointless busywork. I saw a bunch of people on the official forums upset that decay wasn't a thing and I was really hoping it would stay dead. What's fun about every so often having to cut and paste a huge ride? Especially if it has tons of scenery :\

Well, time to start a new park. I spent like 2 days making an inside space mountain type coaster and although the star field is super pretty it still has some light leak issues due to the size of the indoor box area (maybe a draw distance issue?) and although I spent quite a few hours constructing a space battle scene the coaster itself flies through way too quick to be able to really make out what is happening.

Should probably uh, plan things better :)

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 19, 2016

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Isn't ride decay just the thing where you hit the "refurbish ride" button and go on your way? You don't actually have to tear down and rebuild the thing do you?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

year199X posted:

Isn't ride decay just the thing where you hit the "refurbish ride" button and go on your way? You don't actually have to tear down and rebuild the thing do you?

That's for the mechanical decay stuff but if they are talking about reputation decay like it was in older RCT games then yeah you literally have to tear down the ride and rebuild it to fool the AI into thinking it is 'new' because guests will get sick of 'old' rides and won't want to go on them as much - although it says 'reputation decay' so maybe all it does now is just ding your reputation stars/rating (still annoying but not as bad as people no longer entering the queue).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I think they might have gone overboard with the shop traffic. I've got a permanent line of people walking across half a mile of empty path to the middle of nowhere to buy a drat pirate hat.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm having a problem with overcrowding in general. 4 width paths choke almost instantly. I made a park with 8 width paths and those get plagued with people almost as fast. Also, Steam Workshop saved this game for me because I can make semi decent parks from everyone's prefab stuff they spent hours on!

oops

e:oops

buglord fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 20, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Dali Parton posted:

I'm having a problem with overcrowding in general. 4 width paths choke almost instantly. I made a park with 8 width paths and those get plagued with people almost as fast. Also, Steam Workshop saved this game for me because I can make semi decent parks from everyone's prefab stuff they spent hours on!

Looking forward to that Paradox grand strat expansion to PC. Needs more management for my tastes.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Dali Parton posted:

I like pic #5.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Patch notes look pretty good.

Except for this one thing that is a pet peeve of mine:

Pointless busywork. I saw a bunch of people on the official forums upset that decay wasn't a thing and I was really hoping it would stay dead. What's fun about every so often having to cut and paste a huge ride? Especially if it has tons of scenery :\

Well, time to start a new park. I spent like 2 days making an inside space mountain type coaster and although the star field is super pretty it still has some light leak issues due to the size of the indoor box area (maybe a draw distance issue?) and although I spent quite a few hours constructing a space battle scene the coaster itself flies through way too quick to be able to really make out what is happening.

Should probably uh, plan things better :)

The idea is that you let a ride decay and offset it by building something that's the new hotness, after time the ride reputation will climb up and take it to some kind of "classic" status where people love it again.

Apparently you can also stop the decay by changing round the scenery and themeing on and around the ride amking it seem fresh.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"
I really can't recommend the Geekism channel enough if you're struggling with building and making parks look cool.

He strikes the right balance between Silvaret and the novices, through watching some of his videos my skills have improved hugely, designs of his quality are actually attainable, and whilst his coaster building isn't hugely realistic (something he admits himself), his building design is really awesome and is just about simplified enough to learn from.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Aww they took out Disaster Transport? I loved that janky-rear end ride :(
Yeah, Disaster Transport and the Space Spiral were both sacrificed to make room for Gatekeeper. No more nice air-conditioned line to hide from the summer heat in.

quote:

Also PC needs an Iron Dragon type coaster.
Won't be perfect unless the guests can bitch about bugs in their faces after passing over the water.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Gatekeeper is a great entrance setpiece and ride. Rarely a long wait too. I hadn't been to Cedar Point for nearly a decade before this summer, I was surprised how good Raptor still was. Rough in all the right ways, unlike Mean Streak which nearly killed me. Good riddance to that thing.
Apparently I'm a coaster masochist, I liked Mean Streak as it was and rode it multiple times every time I visited this year. I'm interested to see what happens with it though. We know it's getting a steel track retrofit and there are some supposed leaked renderings that have it gaining some loops and rolls. Apparently most of the lift hill is being re-designed as well.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Looking forward to that Paradox grand strat expansion to PC. Needs more management for my tastes.

"Running a theme park chain as a Paradox grand strategy game" would be amazing.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Did the devs say how is the game selling? Is it doing good? I hope so cause I want more content for this game but looking at this thread's activity I'm wondering.
I'm having a blast continuing my alpine themed park.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

So, this happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6Xc8ehzm9k&t=20s

http://toucharcade.com/2016/12/21/rollercoaster-tycoon-classic-just-brought-the-best-of-rct-and-rct-2-to-mobile/

Right now it's having an issue on Android where it doesn't download all the data, so it gets stuck on the loadscreen :(

Seems fixed now

Daztek fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 22, 2016

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Daztek posted:

So, this happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6Xc8ehzm9k&t=20s

http://toucharcade.com/2016/12/21/rollercoaster-tycoon-classic-just-brought-the-best-of-rct-and-rct-2-to-mobile/

Right now it's having an issue on Android where it doesn't download all the data, so it gets stuck on the loadscreen :(

Seems fixed now

Ooh shiny. Thanks for letting me know this existed

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I'm playing Forest Frontiers on my phone right now and it's gooood :iia:

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Is it crashy or have weird IAP stuff? I just don't trust Atari.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Clouseau posted:

If I switch apps mid-game my phone has a really hard time getting back into it and might take a few tries, but it hasn't up and crashed on me in the last hour or so!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Clouseau posted:

Chris Sawyer himself was involved with the porting, don't think Atari had much if any input.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-03-a-big-interview-with-chris-sawyer-the-creator-of-rollercoaster-tycoon

There's a 3 IAPs:

quote:

1) Wacky Worlds Expansion Pack:
Find your passport and pack your bags! Wacky Worlds takes players on the ultimate trip around the globe in 17 new park scenarios! Includes exotic rides, profitable concessions and the most famous landmarks known to man including the Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, Statue of Liberty, Great Wall of China and more! Each location is packed with opportunities for success, fun and unique challenges.

2) Time Twister Expansion Pack:
Travel through time with 14 new park scenarios based on historical and fantasy time-themes and build a park that is truly a blast from the past (or future if you like). Play in a Prehistoric amusement park decorated with huge animated T-Rex’s and coasters such as the Raptor Ride, or choose from Mythological times, the Dark Ages, the Rock & Roll crazed ‘50s, the Future or the Roaring Twenties.

3) Toolkit:
Park Scenario Editor: Design and build your own amazing parks – Make them as easy or as challenging as you want, using your choice of scenery and rides! Includes a number of Six Flags parks to get you started.
Ride Designer: Build, test, fine-tune and theme your own awesome roller coaster designs in the Ride Designer before saving them for use while playing!
Import and Export: Share your saved parks, park scenarios and ride designs with friends, and try out their creations too! (Includes the ability to import most saved parks and scenarios created with the original RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 PC game).

The expansions are about 3 bux each, the toolkit is about the same price as the game itself. So far it's running really well on my nVidia Shield, no crashes yet!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My phone screen seems to small to really play that well... how's the UI work? Decent?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Daztek posted:

Chris Sawyer himself was involved with the porting, don't think Atari had much if any input.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-03-a-big-interview-with-chris-sawyer-the-creator-of-rollercoaster-tycoon

There's a 3 IAPs:

The expansions are about 3 bux each, the toolkit is about the same price as the game itself. So far it's running really well on my nVidia Shield, no crashes yet!

paywalling the RCT2 expansion packs was actually a good idea because they suck

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Been working on a christmas park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdns0_iebTA

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That looks cool as hell.

Is most of that decor stuff that was added with the winter update? I haven't played since then.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So out of all the Roller Coaster Tycoon games currently on Steam, which one do you all recommend? I'm not sure what the difference is between the first and the second game, and I'm not really digging the interface or graphical style in 3

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

1 if you haven't gone through the scenarios yet, otherwise 2.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Moridin920 posted:

That looks cool as hell.

Is most of that decor stuff that was added with the winter update? I haven't played since then.

Yeah a lot of that is the new stuff. You can make gingerbread houses and pile candy on everything and it is generally pretty goddamn adorable.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Jehde posted:

1 if you haven't gone through the scenarios yet, otherwise 2.

What makes the scenarios better in 1 than in 2?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Willo567 posted:

So out of all the Roller Coaster Tycoon games currently on Steam, which one do you all recommend? I'm not sure what the difference is between the first and the second game, and I'm not really digging the interface or graphical style in 3
Get RCT2 from GOG and use OpenRCT2. I think it has the RCT 1 scenarios as well, or at least you can download them and get have the little improvements of 2 with 1's scenarios.

RCT 1 had more scenarios that and they were just way better designed. They have good variety of different settings and terrain, and even differing win conditions.

How does Planet Coaster handle lots of stuff in the park? The thing that annoyed me the most about RCT3 was the frame rate would drop so fast on my pathetic GPU back then.

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 23, 2016

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

James The 1st posted:

How does Planet Coaster handle lots of stuff in the park? The thing that annoyed me the most about RCT3 was the frame rate would drop so fast on my pathetic GPU back then.

Well, then get ready for some nostalgia.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
For a other goon opinion, I'm playing the new RCT classic on an iPad and it's a fantastic port. You can zoom in like, all the way to almost individual tiles, which looks horrible, but should be useful on smaller screens. The controls are great.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Well, then get ready for some nostalgia.

Except now it is probably because your CPU is burning down, not your GPU.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Willo567 posted:

I think it comes down to Chris Sawyer's involvement. 1 was the first game of the series so of course he was much more involved in it, however I heard for 2 he pretty much made some much needed tweaks to the engine then let the team flesh the rest of the game out. This means 1 has the most engaging scenarios, where 2 improved the engine and added more stuff making a more powerful sandbox experience, then a big jump into the 3D world for 3 where it's basically all about the sandbox experience.

Sawyer wasn't just a programming wizard, he really had a knack for game design as well. A combination you don't see much anymore.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Willo567 posted:

1 had very focused gimmicks for the parks that encouraged unique paths to winning (katies world was all rain all the time, mothball mountain needed every ride replaced due to age, dinky park was, well, dinky) and 2 was just giant land areas with great scenery but functionally no gameplay difference between them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

omfg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBI7BoCGxsw

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:stare:

I wonder how many hours that took.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
And the opposite of that video, the :effort: coaster:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Crosspost from iOS thread:

Roller Coaster Tycoon for iOS is a great port. I'm exceptionally picky about touch controls and layout when it comes to mobile games on small screens, but this works beautifully on a 7+. I don't feel like I'm inhibited by touch screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fishstick posted:

And the opposite of that video, the :effort: coaster:

No, it's okay. The Looney Tunes is basically the only inverting coaster in the game that allows children on it, so just pretend it's a fancy kiddy coaster.