Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Tired Moritz posted:

im not into overwatch lore but isnt mercy the person that gave genji his magical robot body?

I'm not much into the lore either but arn't all these people constantly running around shooting each other too?

e: ack! Goddamn new page, erm..

Here's a fairly boring review of a fairly boring anime Christmas Santa Day special.

https://youtu.be/tJiR4GLnWnY

KayTee fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

OldMemes posted:

For me, Star Wars has always been about the characters - not the ten billion EU characters, but the main ones. I mean, there's lots of great fun stuff in the original films, but we get to like Luke as he grows from frustrated farm boy to hero, or Han as he grows from selfish hustler to a rogue with a heart of gold. That's what TFA nailed - Finn, Rey and Poe are likable characters and enjoyed watching their adventures and I'm interested in seeing what happens to them next in Episode 8. The prequel films had dull characters who had no personality, aside from being annoying or angry.

Rogue One looked pretty, and the third act was really good with the battle stuff, but the characters weren't interesting. We were given reasons and character moments to care about Rey, what was Jyn's character? What made her team special? They weren't a ragtag group of colourful misfits, they felt like faceless random people shoved together. It's a shame, because it was a really well made film with a great cast, but it felt filler-y and I found myself not caring that much until the final act.

I would argue that this was the point of doing a movie that didn't follow the typical heroes around: to show the perspective of civilians living their lives before getting caught up in the impending war. The story isn't about war heroes but about, essentially, grunts doing their jobs who will never be recognized within SW history for their deeds while Luke, Han, et al are remembered for decades after defeating the bulk of the Empire. Rey and Finn have heard about them, but no one knows about Jyn, Cassian, etc. because they had small (albeit important) jobs and promptly perished.

I still have to see it again to see how I feel about the claim that they lack characterization since I didn't feel that way the first time. Maybe I just saw the subtle things that helped me to understand them, I dunno. I didn't have the problems that a lot of people seem to have.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Does anyone here have an happiness? I do, sort of.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I can't say I agree that the characters didn't receive characterization. Some of them certainly didn't receive character development, but I didn't mind because their initial characterization worked well enough for me that I didn't mind.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt the beginning was kinda stilted. It picks itself up though and it felt very different from the other movies in a way that felt refreshing while still clearly being Star Wars

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

For me, it was one of the best in the series. Even better than TFA, which I also liked. It could definitely have benefited from a smaller core cast to allow for more development of the remaining characters, but the ones we got were fine as far as I’m concerned. In fact, I actually like K2-SO‘s snark a lot better than C-3PO’s constant chattering.

But the really refreshing thing for me was how different it was, compared to the other films and a lot of the expanded universe stuff. I like how Jyn wasn’t set up as a Chosen One figure the way Luke, Anakin and Rey were, and how the actual force-user of the group wasn’t a Jedi and didn’t dominate the film with supernatural stuff. We also got to learn more about the rebels and how they aren’t all squeaky-clean good guys, which I definitely appreciated. The film even provides a welcome retcon by showing that the Achilles heel in the Death Star was put there deliberately to sabotage it, and wasn’t just an unbelievably-stupid design decision, which was a plot point in the original that bothered a lot of people.

Overall it was a good movie, and the ending is a sign that the people in charge are willing to take some chances with the franchise rather than just going with whatever is most marketable. We’ve come a long way from the days when they felt the need to put a slapstick Rastafarian frog into every scene in order to keep babies entertained.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

That weird christmas cartoon that Red Letter Media watched a year ago or so has been reviewed by Phelous. Lovely, there's another Old Man.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tired Moritz posted:

im not into overwatch lore but isnt mercy the person that gave genji his magical robot body?

Yep, he got all kinds of torn the hell up and she turned him into a cyborg ninja.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
remember to give your doctor a christmas letter

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
So I have what's probably a dumb question and I feel kinda lovely asking it, but...if I'm trying to describe an old Kim Justice video, do I use "he" or "she"? I'm talking about an old video before Kim came out as trans

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The general consensus seems to be to use she in this case.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's weird to think about someone from back before they came out as trans but the general line of reasoning is that they were always the gender they currently identify as, just stuck in the wrong kind of body

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

KayTee posted:

I'm not much into the lore either but arn't all these people constantly running around shooting each other too?

Don't worry; the only thing of substance I knew about Overwatch before today was that Overwatch is not canonical.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yes, for transpeople use their current gender when referring to them in the past. In case their previous gender is important for context, you can say "back when she was presenting male" or perhaps "before she transitioned" which may be more tactful.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Trans etiquette chat:

Thanks guys. I was leaning in that direction but it surely gets confusing for people who aren't in the know. Must be exhausting for the transgender person.

Linear Zoetrope posted:

In case their previous gender is important for context, you can say "back when she was presenting male" or perhaps "before she transitioned" which may be more tactful.

This is perfect.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
IT BROKE NEW GROUND! and the subsequent meltdown might be one of the funniest RLM moments I've seen all year.
AT-STs AT-STs AT-STs!

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I thought it would be hard for them to come out with something worse than the Force Awakens Plinkett video but they've definitely managed it with that Rogue One piece, yikes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The rogue one review was completely on-point. :colbert:

But yes the TSA review was grade-A garbage

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The review of the Transportation Security Administration?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
The Scwartz Awakens

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Trek Star Awakens.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

KayTee posted:

The Scwartz Awakens

The search for more money continues at long last.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

The Millennial Awakens.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Something I've been thinking about more and more. Is Mads Mikkelson in a Star Wars movie but not as a villain a waste? Because that dude was born to be a Sith Lord.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BigRed0427 posted:

Something I've been thinking about more and more. Is Mads Mikkelson in a Star Wars movie but not as a villain a waste? Because that dude was born to be a Sith Lord.

All the sith lords are dead except for Vader and Sheeeeeev.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

All the sith lords are dead except for Vader and Sheeeeeev.

Related, I kinda figured that the trailer having a dude in black robes kneeling in front of a white tube would've been Sith Lord WeNeedASithLordInThisFilmicus, and was glad it was just a one-scene Vader lackey.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

MisterBibs posted:

Related, I kinda figured that the trailer having a dude in black robes kneeling in front of a white tube would've been Sith Lord WeNeedASithLordInThisFilmicus, and was glad it was just a one-scene Vader lackey.

In universe, I'm sure the Empire has a few force sensitives hanging around for reasons.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hbomb's golden one video is back up.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
And the comments on it are crawling with angry Nazis extremely rational people rambling about testosterone count.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Utritum posted:

And the comments on it are crawling with angry Nazis extremely rational people rambling about testosterone count.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoVpSPXGCvc

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

The dude has played a Bond villain, a Marvel villain, Hannibal Lecter, and soon a Hideo Kojima villain. It was nice to see him play a fundamentaly decent human being for a change.

Plus, every time I watch the original Star Wars now and Luke blows up the Death Star, I'm gonna think of Mads Mikkelsen and smile. And there are far worse ways to be retroactively inserted into Star Wars history :v:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

There's fan speculation that guy might be related to Snoke in some capacity.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

There's fan speculation that guy might be related to Snoke in some capacity.

I really hope when all the cards are on the table at the end of Episode IX, that Snoke turns out to be just some Force sensitive rando who sat around for Palpatine's entire rule as Emperor going "man, I bet I could do that too," and then one day just got up and did. It would be the perfect, most hilarious finger in the eye to all those obsessives out there who are utterly convinced that Snoke is someone Important to Star Wars lore.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

nine-gear crow posted:

I really hope when all the cards are on the table at the end of Episode IX, that Snoke turns out to be just some Force sensitive rando who sat around for Palpatine's entire rule as Emperor going "man, I bet I could do that too," and then one day just got up and did. It would be the perfect, most hilarious finger in the eye to all those obsessives out there who are utterly convinced that Snoke is someone Important to Star Wars lore.

Apparently, the studio wasn't even decided on Snoke's gender until shortly before filming. So I doubt Snoke is anybody BUT a rando.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Yet again, a Star Wars movie fails to physically transport audiences back to being ten years old watching the original trilogy. What were they thinking?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

And it'd fit SO well with Kylo and his Vader obsession.

That's one thing I'll really give TFA credit for: they made an emo teen villain actually fairly compelling.

EDIT: \/ drat, definitely agreed. Both just manage to have such great charisma.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 23, 2016

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Mokinokaro posted:

And it'd fit SO well with Kylo and his Vader obsession.

That's one thing I'll really give TFA credit for: they made an emo teen villain actually fairly compelling.

The only big blockbuster movie villain in the past decade that's better than Kylo Ren is Immortan Joe.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BigRed0427 posted:

In universe, I'm sure the Empire has a few force sensitives hanging around for reasons.

Star Wars: Rebels has a few running around as Jedi-hunting Inquisitors for Darth Vader.

(Rebels is also really good, watch it if you haven't yet)

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

The old Expanded Universe had the Emperor's Hand, which included the popular character Mara Jade. They also don't know about there being other Hands, which I recall being one of the points contributing to Mara's disillusionment toward the Emperor.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Beefstew posted:

The only big blockbuster movie villain in the past decade that's better than Kylo Ren is Immortan Joe.

Quoting this because it's absurdly true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Trojan Kaiju posted:

The old Expanded Universe had the Emperor's Hand, which included the popular character Mara Jade. They also don't know about there being other Hands, which I recall being one of the points contributing to Mara's disillusionment toward the Emperor.

Mara is one of the few things from the old EU that I hope gets recanonized in some way ala Thrawn. She'd make a really good villain for Season 4 of Rebels, and would be a natural progression of things. From a bunch of Jedi wannabes, to Vader, to Thrawn, to the next best thing to Palpatine himself showing up to personally ruin everyone's poo poo.

• Locked thread