Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is Vermintide a game where if you matchmake into a random game not really knowing the level back to front you'll get people roundly hosed off at you, a la Payday 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Can I join the SA Goons steam group?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Is Vermintide a game where if you matchmake into a random game not really knowing the level back to front you'll get people roundly hosed off at you, a la Payday 2?
Yes and no. There are multiple difficulties and that only happens in very hard and above. The host sets the difficulty so everyone knows what they're joining into, either a causual or super ballbuster.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

TheBigAristotle posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on Kopanito All-Stars Soccer?

It looks like it might be a nice throwback to my second-favorite NES game as a kid, World Cup Soccer. You know, with the River City Ransom art.

Hmmm, that looks pretty interesting. I am also curious if anyone's tried it yet

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

ilmucche posted:

Thanks. I love board games but can't buy any at the moment. Never played ticket to ride, but I've heard good things. :)

It's a little heavy, but have you heard the good news about Twilight Struggle?

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Views on the latest Deus Ex game? I liked Human Revolution and the new one is only £13-ish. Any other recommendations for action-adventure type games also gratefully received.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

spudsbuckley posted:

I've bought a lot of games from sites that are linked to on it and i've never had any problems.

Bought stuff for Steam, PSN, XBL no problems, sort of trivializes Steam sales :/
It's a keysite. Which means that yes it's cheap and maybe you won't get robbed but the money almost never reaches the creators of the games you buy. Around here we see those sites as utter trash that we won't touch for this reason. You can do whatever you want personally but don't promote keysites on SA.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ciaphas posted:

"hosed off" as in mad at you?
No.
Payday has a pretty toxic community and it's the reason I quit.
There are things in Vermintide that are optional but offer a big risk/reward. At lower levels it is not a huge deal. The higher up you go, you have to actually coordinate with people. If anything, just declare your love for bashing in skulls and everything will be cool.

Edit: I wasn't clear. It plays like L4D but mostly melee. Most people starting out are gonna panic and get confused. It's a feature and anyone that gets mad over it is a fuckin' dildo.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
If anyone doesn't own kotor2 well nows the time

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I said it before, but it's kinda stupid how on PS4 you can regularly get all of Borderlands 2 and The Presequel with every little DLC for $20-$30. While there's no similar bundle on Steam and the cosmetic stuff never goes on sale. Even without the cosmetics you'd have to spend at least $40 (on sale) to get most of the package.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Boxman posted:

How's the PC port of Metal Gear Rising? My Xbox died before I could finish it.

Great unless you're on one of those TV's that freak out with the framerate changes during cutscenes which locks the game at 24fps unless you setup some windowed mode software.

So small edge case of busted HDMI stuff due to 120hz TV's but otherwise it's perfect.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

I said it before, but it's kinda stupid how on PS4 you can regularly get all of Borderlands 2 and The Presequel with every little DLC for $20-$30. While there's no similar bundle on Steam and the cosmetic stuff never goes on sale. Even without the cosmetics you'd have to spend at least $40 (on sale) to get most of the package.

Presequel Season Pass pricing is absolutely batshit insane, especialyl since there is next to no content in the season pass anyway, I refuse to buy that. On the other hand, playing a shooter on the PS4... not sure what's worse, missing out on DLC or having to git gud with a controller...

Disclaimer: Not master-racing, I own consoles myself and am about to buy a PS4 pro, I just don't think playing FPS on a console is the way to go...

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've never played a Final Fantasy game, but I've always wanted to try FFX. Are the "Auto-save and 5 game boosters including high speed and no encounter modes" in the HD remaster enough to adjust the game to my modern sensibilities, or will I still have to grind?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lester Shy posted:

I've never played a Final Fantasy game, but I've always wanted to try FFX. Are the "Auto-save and 5 game boosters including high speed and no encounter modes" in the HD remaster enough to adjust the game to my modern sensibilities, or will I still have to grind?

FFX is actually pretty grind light if you just want to experience the story. You only need to grind for some optional super bosses.

Do not turn off encounters when playing the game normally, basically.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

How Stellaris compares to other Paradox games in terms of complexity and learning curve? Because I think I'm way too dumb to play Europa Universalis IV.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lester Shy posted:

FFX was the first one that really wanted the player to have fun. There are optional grinds but those are for insane people.
So any improvement over vanilla is just icing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Stellaris is a LOT simpler.

It's really no more complicated than Civ.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Is Dishonored 2 worth $40 $33?

Revol fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 23, 2016

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Inzombiac posted:

FFX was the first one that really wanted the player to have fun. There are optional grinds but those are for insane people.
So any improvement over vanilla is just icing.

I want to disagree, in that I don't think there's really any FF, other than the first and possibly the second, where you need to grind if you want to see the story.

This goes out the window for optional content of course.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Lester Shy posted:

It helps that FFX has a legitimately good battle system that is enjoyable to play. You don't really need to grind that much for the main game, but the secret superbosses all do require some grinding to take on.

ffx-2 is itself a really fun game. I'm seriously weighing up getting the pack just for that, but honestly I'm not sure I can justify the purchase this season.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mokinokaro posted:

Stellaris is a LOT simpler.

It's really no more complicated than Civ.

To be fair, most Paradox games aren't half as complicated as they seem at first blush. Like EU4 is a pretty simple game to play once you know what's going on, there are just so many moving parts that the learning curve ends up feeling like a brick wall.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Skinty McEdger posted:

It helps that FFX has a legitimately good battle system that is enjoyable to play. You don't really need to grind that much for the main game, but the secret superbosses all do require some grinding to take on.

ffx-2 is itself a really fun game. I'm seriously weighing up getting the pack just for that, but honestly I'm not sure I can justify the purchase this season.

FFX-2 has such a good battle system that I'm going to play it again. I finished it back when it first came out and only remember the opening hour or so (which kicks rear end).

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
First blood bought the new Deus Ex, and Witcher 3 DLC.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Krazyface posted:

It's a little heavy, but have you heard the good news about Twilight Struggle?

How is this as a pc game. Does it have AI / is the AI total garbage?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So apparently for Inside, Enhanced Steam is linking to some Unity POS being given away for free on Amazon. Does anyone know if it is really cheaper for anywhere else beside steam?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jordan7hm posted:

How is this as a pc game. Does it have AI / is the AI total garbage?

It has AI. It knows how to make you Defcon suicide and that Iran is important. It seems all right

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is Resident Evil Revelations 2 any good? It and Revelations 1 are all I'm missing in that collection.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Zat posted:

I loved it even though it's got some issues. This is not a huge discount though and I'm sure it would get cheaper pretty soon, within a few more months (maybe when they release the 999 and VLR remasters on PC and consoles).

Anime poo poo never gets cheaper.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
:coffeepal:

oh gently caress the sale started

mike12345 posted:

Paging Dangan Ropa teddy bear av with his retro platformer recommendations to this thread.

140 - $1.24 (-75%) - minimalistic rhythm platformer
They Bleed Pixels - $1.99 (-80%) - action platformer in a cutethulu style
Thomas Was Alone - $2.49 (-75%) - puzzle-platformer with a great story
Knytt Underground - $2.79 (-60%) - a large platforming adventure game from Nifflas
eversion - $2.49 (-50%) - a cute platformer
Toki Tori 2+ - $4.49 (-70%) - puzzle platformer with birb
PixelJunk™ Eden - $2.49 (-75%) - abstract platformer with a good soundscape
Super House of Dead Ninjas - $1.39 (-80%) - fast-paced action arcade homage to the 16-bit era

also

VVVVVV - $2.49 (-50%)
La-Mulana - $3.74 (-75%)
LOVE - $1.04 (-65%)
Xeodrifter™ - $0.99 (-90%)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hows Alien Isolation on replayability? Is it a one and done sorta game? I've been meaning to pick it up for a few years now but im scared of it being some on rails cheesy movie ticket.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

just a heads-up: Lara Croft: GO is extremely my poo poo; it's 90% "take your time" Adventure of Lolo style puzzler, with 10% Hidden-Object Game thrown in for spice. I am really digging it. The PSX-era Croft model is just a funny bonus.

Be aware, it is "I am a mobile port"-as gently caress, but if you can get past that, it's p.dope.

e:

Zetsubou-san posted:

Thomas Was Alone - $2.49 (-75%) - puzzle-platformer with a great story
agreed, everyone should play this if you like Stanley Parable

Zetsubou-san posted:

eversion - $2.49 (-50%) - a cute platformer
you monster, why would you do this :gonk:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Zetsubou-san posted:

Knytt Underground - $2.79 (-60%) - a large platforming adventure game from Nifflas

They made a new one?!!??! :aaaaa:

Id seriously buy the already-free Knytt Stories if they ported it to steam, just to show support.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Gonna also echo the FFX and X-2 remasters. I haven't touched X-2 yet, but X Really holds up. Combat is great and most of the story is good.

It doesn't start getting confusing until they start explaining what Tidus and his dad are. And I think this is more of a product of the game failing to explain clearly just what happened to the real Zanarkin and Yu Yevon.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I remember this. Just what is it exactly because I never got far in it.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 23, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Be aware, it is "I am a mobile port"-as gently caress, but if you can get past that, it's p.dope.
more than hitman go?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Dali Parton posted:

Hows Alien Isolation on replayability? Is it a one and done sorta game? I've been meaning to pick it up for a few years now but im scared of it being some on rails cheesy movie ticket.

It's $12.50 for the game + DLC, which you should be getting as the base game alone is $13.59. The base game will last you about ~15 hours, no idea about the DLC.

It's not as 'on rails' as you may think. The game points you towards your next objective but you can just go gently caress around other areas of the station. It's not an open-world game, but you do have some freedom of movement.
There's a bunch of collectables that you'll only get if you explore, and since most of the Alien stuff itself isn't scripted you could get some mileage out of a replay on a harder difficulty setting depending on how much you liked it.

I think it's well worth the 12.50 even if you're only gonna play it once, but I'm a notorious apologist for the game. :v:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

yes

_______/
I have no idea what you are talking about

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

ilmucche posted:

Can I join the SA Goons steam group?

Post in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2584158

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Hero Siege

Thoughts on this roguelike? I can get a 4 pack for peanuts so it already looks like a solid buy

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its a simple, fun game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Both good shadow run games (Dragonfall and Hong Kong) are the cheapest they have been in a sale and are excellent value for the price. They are seriously two of the most immersive RPG's I have played in a long time, with great writing and rewarding progression to them and seriously are well worth picking up at the price if you even have just a passing interest in the games.

Returns is not so good purely because the campaign is short and lacks the depth of the other two games.

• Locked thread