Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
In a game like Witcher it's pretty inexcusable not to have some degree of racial diversity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Kawabata posted:

tyrael was called tyrone on the blizzard forums on a daily basis for over 3 months after release: threads had to be closed, users banned, drama was had

is that a racial diversity success story in videogames? i don't think so.

i'm ok with what nintendo is doing; for example, not everyone is blonde in the mushroom kingdom

dont even care if i get probated for calling you a dumb piece of poo poo because you really are a dumb piece of poo poo

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Stux posted:

dont even care if i get probated for calling you a dumb piece of poo poo because you really are a dumb piece of poo poo

I will be pissed if Stux gets a probation for this extremely correct post.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Stux posted:

I have no idea what you're on about. It was obviously immature and racist but that's the blizzard forums for you. Are you accusing me of being racist because I'm reporting the anecdote? I was making fun of Nintendo for always having white/light haired characters in all their games too.

Dexo posted:

I dunno Mario is one of those weird game franchises where I don't have a massive problem with the all white cast. It could be be dope as poo poo but I personally don't have some huge need to see a black person in Mario.

I think it would feel weird in a game like Mario but Zelda could definitely have black characters.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kawabata posted:

In a game like Witcher it's pretty inexcusable not to have some degree of racial diversity.

Wasn't the Witcher a polish game based on a polish book inspired by Slavic mythology? That then went on to become a worldwide hit? That seems like a pretty big win for diversity by itself.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

Wasn't the Witcher a polish game based on a polish book inspired by Slavic mythology? That then went on to become a worldwide hit? That seems like a pretty big win for diversity by itself.

Correct, but they expanded the world a lot. It would've been dumb to see asian/black characters in, I don't know, the Skellige Isles (which are basically a remote scotland) but they certainly could've gone for more diversity in the big cities and in several other regions.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 23, 2016

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I would rather have them not try, then try and have something horrible...offensive...horribly offensive come out as the result.

Yikes.

Non Mario related but I was pleasantly surprised to see black characters in prominent (well one is supporting) roles playing FFVII and FFVIII for the first time.

Sorta made me realize how rarely they show up in Japanese games in general (I'll fully admit to missing like every home console up until the Xbox 360 but I'm happy to be proven wrong here).

SylvainMustach fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 23, 2016

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Kawabata posted:

Correct, but they expanded the world a lot. It would've been dumb to see asian/black characters in, I don't know, the Skellige Isles (which are basically a remote scotland) by the certainly could've gone for more diversity in the big cities and in several other regions.

its a fantasy game, they could put anything anywhere with literally no issue.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kawabata posted:

Correct, but they expanded the world a lot. It would've been dumb to see asian/black characters in, I don't know, the Skellige Isles (which are basically a remote scotland) but they certainly could've gone for more diversity in the big cities and in several other regions.

I'm just saying, a under-represented, historically discriminated against people make a thing and it becomes a huge hit, that's a win for diversity. Don't complain about it. I think you have to have a very American-centric world view to look at the Witcher and complain about a lack of diversity

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm just saying, a under-represented, historically discriminated against people make a thing and it becomes a huge hit, that's a win for diversity. Don't complain about it. I think you have to have a very American-centric world view to look at the Witcher and complain about a lack of diversity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L1zew7i-tc

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

codenameFANGIO posted:

I will be pissed if Stux gets a probation for this extremely correct post.

There is no chance of this happening.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Stux posted:

...Yeah you're right there as well.

Like, there probably wasn't any reason gay couples in the last Fire Emblem couldn't have had babies somehow since there was a mechanic in place where two Avatars that constantly interact with each other would produce a homunculus, literally a magic gay baby out of nowhere.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Stux posted:

Could they?

Because fantasy is fictional but not random, and it has to be at least plausible. The witcher being the typical kind of medieval fantasy, it would be really out of place to see black people in a region that looks like scandinavia, for example. Travel is also slow and difficult so there's less chance of diversity unless we're talking about big cities or the middle portion of a continent.

To be honest it's more jarring to see movie leads in big Hollywood productions being consistently white. There is absolutely no reason for that.

EDIT: I'm not american, so please read my previous post as a very sarcastic european post about nintendo being closet racist. I understand this is a much more sensitive issue in the US, especially lately, so sorry if that was offensive to anyone.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 23, 2016

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kawabata posted:

Could they?

Because fantasy is fictional but not random, and it has to be at least plausible. The witcher being the typical kind of medieval fantasy, it would be really out of place to see black people in a region that looks like scandinavia, for example. Travel is also slow and difficult so there's less chance of diversity unless we're talking about big cities or the middle portion of a continent.

To be honest it's more jarring to see movie leads in big Hollywood productions being consistently white. There is absolutely no reason for that.

EDIT: I'm not american, so please read my previous post a very sarcastic european post about nintendo being closet racist. I understand this is a much more sensitive issue in the US, especially lately, so sorry if that was offensive to anyone.

"My grandparents told me tales of our kingdom and its sunny shores. We also learned of the kindness your king showed us when we fled after the cataclysm."

There I solved your fantasy problem, you can make a black character now.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Switcher

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kawabata posted:

Could they?

EDIT: I'm not american, so please read my previous post as a very sarcastic european post about nintendo being closet racist. I understand this is a much more sensitive issue in the US, especially lately, so sorry if that was offensive to anyone.

Read thread

https://twitter.com/dialacina/status/809087823957688320

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

no one ever blinks about every elder scrolls having every elder scrolls race represented in spades no matter where they're set

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nerds will alternately say "it's supposed to be realistic" or "it's supposed to be an apolitical fantasy" depending on which group of people they want to keep out of which video game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brother Entropy posted:

'don't even try because you might get it wrong' is garbage talk for garbage people

Ask yourself this; Have people stopped talking about the dumpster fire that is Other M yet?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Supercar Gautier posted:

Nerds will alternately say "it's supposed to be realistic" or "it's supposed to be an apolitical fantasy" depending on which group of people they want to keep out of which video game.

As a nerd, I say it's OK for Polish people to make a game that's full of Polish people.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ask yourself this; Have people stopped talking about the dumpster fire that is Other M yet?

But the black guy in that is the only good character

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

what does that have to do with anything

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Brother Entropy posted:

no one ever blinks about every elder scrolls having every elder scrolls race represented in spades no matter where they're set

It is fun being an Argonian and fulfilling prophecies that seem like they're probably intended for whichever race dominates that title's landscape but the game won't stop you from being a Lizard Dragonborn.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

People still talk about other m because it's the last main metroid game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brother Entropy posted:

what does that have to do with anything

Samus Aran's atrocious characterization in it? The point is if they try it and gently caress up, that poo poo will not go away for a long long time. That's why they can be hesitant to try new things.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Guy Goodbody posted:

As a nerd, I say it's OK for Polish people to make a game that's full of Polish people.

It's okay for them to do it poo poo nothing I or others can do about it...But I and others are going to criticize them in the hopes of further inclusion though. Because I like the Witcher and think it would be better with people that look like me.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Everyone talking about Other M needs to shut up and play AM2R.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Samus Aran's atrocious characterization in it? The point is if they try it and gently caress up, that poo poo will not go away for a long long time. That's why they can be hesitant to try new things.

so in your eyes a popular female character suddenly written as emotionally weak and submissive and fans rejecting that is an argument against trying to be more diverse?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

The elder scroll's world is much less coherent or realistic than the witcher one though. And yes, you are right about potatoes but they are harder to notice.

I don't think it's always about "nerds" that want to keep different groups out of a videogames, but more about being hard to find a balance there. If you try to be too "medieval realistic" you can make the same mistake Martin did where all the asians/black/south-american people are either in a single southern kingdom (Dorne) or in the far east. You also run the risk of reproducing the same inequalities (ie blacks being slaves).
If you take the Bethesda approach the world doesn't look as coherent and yes, it is weird that a khajiit can be the Dragonborn, considering we're in the skyrim region.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 23, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brother Entropy posted:

so in your eyes a popular female character suddenly written as emotionally weak and submissive and fans rejecting that is an argument against trying to be more diverse?

Not at all, I'm saying they're cautious about it because mistakes will hang over them just as long as the successes, and they're a conservative Japanese company. They probably see it as not a good move from a PR perspective from a family-friendly company with world-wide recognition, even if it is totally the right one to try.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not at all, I'm saying they're cautious about it because mistakes will hang over them just as long as the successes, and they're a conservative Japanese company. They probably see it as not a good move from a PR perspective from a family-friendly company with world-wide recognition, even if it is totally the right one to try.

'family-friendly with world recognition' is actually an argument for being more diverse though?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Got a Wii U for christmas, trying to link up my Nintendo ID but it keeps saying my info is wrong.

I just used it log into their website so I'm not sure what the issues is, works fine on my 3DS though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Got a Wii U for christmas, trying to link up my Nintendo ID but it keeps saying my info is wrong.

I just used it log into their website so I'm not sure what the issues is, works fine on my 3DS though.

Are you sure you're not mistaking the Nintendo Account with the Nintendo Network ID? They're two different things.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kawabata posted:

The elder scroll's world is much less coherent or realistic than the witcher one though. And yes, you are right about potatoes but they are harder to notice.

I don't think it's always about "nerds" that want to keep different groups out of a videogames, but more about being hard to find a balance there. If you try to be too "medieval realistic" you can make the same mistake Martin did where all the asians/black/south-american people are either in a single southern kingdom (Dorne) or in the far east. You also run the risk of reproducing the same inequalities (ie blacks being slaves).
If you take the Bethesda approach the world doesn't look as coherent and yes, it is weird that a khajiit can be the Dragonborn, considering we're in the skyrim region.

Why is that weird?

Like ancient lore or and mythology have tons of "outsiders" or "low-born" people becoming gods and heroes.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually, they are taking some risks: Splatoons mascot characters, and the original player, were all female, because they thought a game with important female characters would do better in the west. Plus it looks like Zelda might have a bigger role in BOTW. Maybe we'll see some more diversity in their games on the way, which would be nice.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Can someone Photoshop two joycons onto Geralt's back like swords, TIA

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Viewtiful Jew posted:

...Yeah you're right there as well.

Like, there probably wasn't any reason gay couples in the last Fire Emblem couldn't have had babies somehow since there was a mechanic in place where two Avatars that constantly interact with each other would produce a homunculus, literally a magic gay baby out of nowhere.

It literally took extra work to prevent gay babies, if you hack in gay couples into Awakening they have babies just fine lol.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

youcallthatatwist posted:

Actually, they are taking some risks: Splatoons mascot characters, and the original player, were all female, because they thought a game with important female characters would do better in the west. Plus it looks like Zelda might have a bigger role in BOTW. Maybe we'll see some more diversity in their games on the way, which would be nice.

Oh, I fully agree they're getting much much better at it. Hell, look at Pokemon Sun/Moon. My point is that the real problem is with a Mario character, because that's a character base that lasts forever. If they gently caress it up that will hang over them in perpetuity with some very bad PR world-wide, and that's why they're probably being so reluctant about it. Again, conservative Japanese company.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's-a me, Black Mario

problematic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Dexo posted:

Why is that weird?

Like ancient lore or and mythology have tons of "outsiders" or "low-born" people becoming gods and heroes.

Skyrim's inhabitants are mostly northeners, viking/norse in aspect and traditions. Any outsider from any race can be the Dragonborne, sure, but imo that's only because the previous games set the precedent for diversity.
Of all the Elder Scrolls games Skyrim was the most self-contained and realistic, so it did look more jarring than elsewhere that the hero saving the world was a khajiit or a high elf.

Even in the most fictional of settings you need to draw inspiration from the real world to a certain degree. When you go for realism it's hard not to be offensive, because you reproduce the same poo poo you see in everyday society. When you don't, you still need to be careful because it's very easy to fall into dumb stereotypes (ie, asians always being the smart guys or blacks only coming from a far away warrior kingdom). This doesn't mean that the entertainment industry shouldn't be as inclusive as possible, it just means that the inequalities you see irl are so pervasive that they make it harder for the consumer to keep any suspension of disbelief when the narrative is off, and for the author to tell an original story.

• Locked thread