Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Jordan7hm posted:

How is this as a pc game. Does it have AI / is the AI total garbage?

It's a really good adaptation for multiplayer. They're also patching in that Turn Zero expansion. The AI is pretty bad for experienced players, it can't identify what countries/regions are important, but it seems really good for people who want to learn the game without pressure (as you need to be familiar with the entire event deck to play TS well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Hero Siege

Thoughts on this roguelike? I can get a 4 pack for peanuts so it already looks like a solid buy

I found it pretty boring but if you don't expect much there's enough content to play it forever.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Arkham Knight is under $7 now, it sounds like they fix the terrible performance issues? How terrible is the driving stuff? If I buy the season-pass premium bundle, is the DLC permanently in my account or just until it expires?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Jordan7hm posted:

How is this as a pc game. Does it have AI / is the AI total garbage?

Add me to steam jm20lljk friendo, I'll throw you a copy of this bad roguelike lol

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Whats on this sale thats good and that I could run on my XPS 15? I run Tyrrany fine so stuff w low reqs like that.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Along similar lines: what I can run on my laptop with HD Graphics 520?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Is Vermintide a game where if you matchmake into a random game not really knowing the level back to front you'll get people roundly hosed off at you, a la Payday 2?

Vermintide is amazing and only comparable to L4D at like the conceptual level. The fact that most of what you do is in melee and that the melee system is VERY DEEP AND REWARDING make it a really distinct experience. The melee system will give back as much as you put into it. As an example, a single player with mastery of the concepts could probably take down a Cataclysm-difficulty Rat Ogre (think: Tank) by himself. That same Rat Ogre could probably wipe 25 beginners at once if it were possible to set that fight up. The systems really have that much going on.

Skinty McEdger posted:

Both good shadow run games (Dragonfall and Hong Kong) are the cheapest they have been in a sale and are excellent value for the price. They are seriously two of the most immersive RPG's I have played in a long time, with great writing and rewarding progression to them and seriously are well worth picking up at the price if you even have just a passing interest in the games.

Returns is not so good purely because the campaign is short and lacks the depth of the other two games.

Reiterating this. Returns is more like a proof of concept and Dragonfall and Hong Kong are the real games. I liked Hong Kong more but that's not a slight against Dragonfall at all. It was great.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

black.lion posted:

Whats on this sale thats good and that I could run on my XPS 15? I run Tyrrany fine so stuff w low reqs like that.
look at the system reqs for tyranny and use that as a baseline.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Arkham Knight is under $7 now, it sounds like they fix the terrible performance issues? How terrible is the driving stuff? If I buy the season-pass premium bundle, is the DLC permanently in my account or just until it expires?

They didn't ever fix the performance issues completely, and it's the worst Arkham game IMO due to the batmobile stuff. The only DLC really worth it is Season of Infamy if I remember right.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Right but idk how to search the Steam Store by system reqs... can you?? Thought maybe there would be a suggestion or two off the top of someone's head.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Give me some direction. With the sales being nowhere near as deep as they used to be I can't just go apeshit picking up everything

http://steamcommunity.com/id/shoegays/wishlist/

Make a case for something on that wishlist and also why I should remove something else. The first 20 or so are actually ranked but after that it's a mess of "gently caress it, let's see if it gets cheap at some point"

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Zetsubou's games wot i quite like - pointless christmas awards edition

Part 1

Asteria - $0.49 (-95%) - terraria-alike where each tier of tech is earned through a unique map and boss fight
Battle Ranch: Pigs vs Plants - $0.49 (-75%) - plants vs zombies with the serial numbers filed off. this is not a bad thing
Battlepaths - $0.49 (-90%) - decent top-down dungeon-crawler
Sparkle 2 Evo - $0.49 (-90%) - multi-coloured flOw-clone
Star Saviors - $0.49 (-75%) - a neat shmup game
Toki Tori - $0.49 (-90%) - guide a birb around a level trying to get all the eggs
Waveform - $0.49 (-75%) - change the shape of a sine wave so your spaceship gets as many balls of light as possible
The Dweller - $0.49 (-90%) - puzzle game about eating archeologists
Zombillie - $0.49 (-90%) - a spoopy themed variant on the classic Snake game
Zasa - An AI Story - $0.49 (-51%) - puzzle game about drawing lines on the surface of a cube
Final Dusk - $0.59 (-88%) - protect the vampire princess from sunlight and other hazards
Kairo - $0.74 (-85%) - exploration-puzzler with an minimalist aesthetic
Electronic Super Joy - $0.79 (-90%) - platformer that hates you, with kickin' music
Unium - $0.79 (-60%) - line-drawing puzzle game
Viktor - $0.79 (-90%) - a decent game with Megaman/Castlevania influences
Blood and Bacon - $0.79 (-20%) - the best shooting-pigs-till-they-explode game of all time
klocki - $0.84 (-15%) - a short puzzle game that is very chill
LYNE - $0.89 (-70%) - a different line-drawing puzzle game
Depths of Fear :: Knossos - $0.89 (-85%) - mythological rougelite with horror elements
Dark Echo - $0.98 (-67%) - tense top-down echolocation game

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Is it worth $27 to find out Who is Setsuna?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Palpek posted:

It's a keysite. Which means that yes it's cheap and maybe you won't get robbed but the money almost never reaches the creators of the games you buy. Around here we see those sites as utter trash that we won't touch for this reason. You can do whatever you want personally but don't promote keysites on SA.

Understood. Thanks for that.

I'm looking at the Warhammer Total war, Tyranny, and Battlefleet Gothic which are all new and don't have huge discounts but it's worth it to help make more like those. Which of these three should I get, if I just get one this sale?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Greaseman posted:

No

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Give me some direction. With the sales being nowhere near as deep as they used to be I can't just go apeshit picking up everything

http://steamcommunity.com/id/shoegays/wishlist/

Make a case for something on that wishlist and also why I should remove something else. The first 20 or so are actually ranked but after that it's a mess of "gently caress it, let's see if it gets cheap at some point"

Letter Quest is absolutely fantastic, it's the perfect level of challenge up to the very end, grinding is actually fun because you're also honing your word-finding skills, and for $2.39, you're a goddamned idiot not to snap it up.

OTOH, even at a buck-fifty, I found it hard to enjoy Magnetic: Cage Closed (not case closed); it's a really, really, really really really derivative Portal clone.

Like, you are a test subject and the omniscient, careless scientist voice is openly wishing for your death.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Not on Steam, but Dishonored 2 is 47% off on Bundlestars (some region restrictions). It's a Steam key.
24 hours only.
Looks cheaper there than on Steam ($46.69 CDN vs. $53.59)

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Vermintide is the next Humble Monthly game so you might as well just buy that and get a bunch of stuff on top.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone have any thoughts on Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak? I'm not a huge RTS player, but that game looks so beautiful, and it's verging down into impulse-buy territory for me, at least given the aesthetics.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Greaseman posted:

I didn't think so. It's pretty and the music is initially fantastic but then you realize that piano is a limiting medium. I didn't get very far though.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Dali Parton posted:

They made a new one?!!??! :aaaaa:

Id seriously buy the already-free Knytt Stories if they ported it to steam, just to show support.

Kyntt Underground is good, a lot bigger than Knytt Stories, and is also secretly the sequel to Within a Deep Forest. If you want more newish Knytty stuff you can also get The Great Work free from Nifflas' website.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Genital Jousting

http://store.steampowered.com/app/469820/

It's on sale but I've heard the online community is a bunch of dick's and assholes

Is it worth it? Or atleast a good xmas gag gift for $3.75

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I got Arkham Knight a few months after release for like half-price, and loved it. The car stuff isn't THAT bad, and is rather front-loaded; it's in your face at the start, then backs off. I didn't follow the marketing at all, so all the stuff about the Arkham Knight's obvious identity meant nothing to me. The fighting and predator sections themselves are aces, and it might be the best-looking game I own. The story is pretty meh, but it nails my favourite part of City: just stumbling across things happening in the city and investigating them.
It was one of the first things I put on my ~~new gaming PC~~, and from what I understand it's basically luck that it ran well for me.
I'd recommend it. You should be prepared to install it and try it out in the first two weeks, though, on the off chance it dislikes your PC.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Rinkles posted:

I said it before, but it's kinda stupid how on PS4 you can regularly get all of Borderlands 2 and The Presequel with every little DLC for $20-$30. While there's no similar bundle on Steam and the cosmetic stuff never goes on sale. Even without the cosmetics you'd have to spend at least $40 (on sale) to get most of the package.

You can get the Borderlands Take over your life package for 6.75 which has Tales from the Borderlands, the pre-sequel and the original Borderlands GOTY edition and then the Borderlands 2 GOTY edition for 8.79.

Then ignore all the season pass stuff for pre-sequel cause it's easily the worst game in the series and instead play Tales from the Borderlands which is the best game in the series. And the best telltale game.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I could be way off here, but the backgrounds you get for crafting the sale badges almost look like those 3D paintings...
I've tried to look at a couple of them, but nothing's popping out.
Not sure if there's some hidden meta game with them somehow. Just seems really strange to have patterns like that for no reason.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I bought Planet Coaster and Aces Wild: Manic Brawling Action!
I returned Planet Coaster, I just wasn't having fun. I think I need a computer upgrade so that I can make my park pretty. I had to turn my graphics way down.

Aces Wild owns though, it's on sale for 1$ down from 10$ but might be worth 10.

My Xbox 360 controller is dying though, so I'm also getting a Steam Controller and Steam Link off Amazon. They're running the same prices Steam is and I have prime, so I should get them quicker. I wonder if I should have got a PS4 controller instead. I guess I'll find out.

I'll probably try some other games for the cost of Planet Coaster once I have the gabebux back.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Kragger99 posted:

I could be way off here, but the backgrounds you get for crafting the sale badges almost look like those 3D paintings...
I've tried to look at a couple of them, but nothing's popping out.
Not sure if there's some hidden meta game with them somehow. Just seems really strange to have patterns like that for no reason.

They've got to start the HL3VRARG somewhere.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Leper Residue posted:

You can get the Borderlands Take over your life package for 6.75 which has Tales from the Borderlands, the pre-sequel and the original Borderlands GOTY edition and then the Borderlands 2 GOTY edition for 8.79.

Then ignore all the season pass stuff for pre-sequel cause it's easily the worst game in the series and instead play Tales from the Borderlands which is the best game in the series. And the best telltale game.

Incidentally I owned every game but Presequel and was able to use that bundle to get Presequel for insanely cheaper than it was going as a solo game.

Still wasn't worth it because hot drat it is just not fun. But if you had every game except Tales, totally use this to get that cheaper because it's good.

edit: How is Deathstate: Abyssal Edition? That looks fun.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 23, 2016

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
biggest gripe about The Pre Sequel is the hit-scan enemies that can hit from the other side of the map before you can even see them. Also small melee enemies that constantly hit you and you can't see them.

better jokes though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It didn't have any characters I found fun to play. I loved Lilith in the first game. Find a double anarchy, build into SMG and elemental procs and being a flaming Rambo that torches and mows down idiots without a care. B2 had Gaige: Be the TF2 Scout but with better shotguns.

They were fun. They rewarded playing super insanely aggressive and having fun. I feel like all the characters in this are just "click mans and try not to die, ps some of you get super OP poo poo and some of you are going to be boring and be built for a game that's paced far differently from the one you're playing"

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Son of Rodney posted:

SO maybe someone can help me: I need a nice time-sink strategy kind of game, something like rollercoaster tycoon, rimworld, anno, dwarf fortress, X tycoon etc. I've played a lot of these games but I propably missed some greats. I'd be thankful for any hints of what I should look for in the sale. Planet coaster is one, but I doubt it'll get big savings.
If you haven't played it, Crusader Kings II is really worth a look. You can sink hours into that, easy.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lowen posted:

I bought Planet Coaster and Aces Wild: Manic Brawling Action!
I returned Planet Coaster, I just wasn't having fun. I think I need a computer upgrade so that I can make my park pretty. I had to turn my graphics way down.

I'll probably try some other games for the cost of Planet Coaster once I have the gabebux back.

Is planet coaster more park-management sim or more build-roller-coasters physics game? Because I don't want to make coasters, but I do want to charge people $8 for a coke when they step off one.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

edit: How is Deathstate: Abyssal Edition? That looks fun.
i havent tried the updated version yet but the base game is pretty fun. its goon made too

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Risky Bisquick posted:

Add me to steam jm20lljk friendo, I'll throw you a copy of this bad roguelike lol

I don't need bad roguelikes (as you can see, I own all of them already even if I don't ever have time to play them), but added you anyway!

anyway some other stuff:

Jamfrost is amazing and got me Windward. I've had this on the wishlist forever but just never pulled the trigger. Looking forward to trying it out.

Indie game darling Stephen's Sausage Roll is on sale! It's only 20% off, but I'm sorely tempted by it.

Here is my current cart other than Stephen's Sausage Roll. Tell me what isn't worth keeping in the cart.

Sokobond - puzzle game by the You Built a Snowman guy
Tales of Symphonia - I generally bounce off of JRPGs but man I just want one to click with me again
Age of Gladiators - I like sports management games a lot. the idea of a gladiator sports management game has me rock hard
Akin - a puzzle game where you draw a line. I like basic puzzle games like Lyne and Hexcells and whatnot a lot, this seems like it has that aesthetic / style
Siralim - pokemon on the PC with random dungeons?
Circa Infinity - this looks like an insane platformer and I like weird games
Abzu - walking (swimming) simulator by the guy who made Journey?
Turok - I said I would buy this when it hit 5$, so ... I'm not sure how much Kaiser gets out of this, but I hope it's something
ASDAD: All Star Dungeons and Diamonds - this looks like a pretty fun coop puzzle game I could play with my kid

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Help, I want to get balls deep into a strategy game now. I know what all of these potential games are like and like the sounds of each even though they are different. What is best?

Stellaris, Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 4, Civilization 6, one of the total war games. What do I pick?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Is planet coaster more park-management sim or more build-roller-coasters physics game? Because I don't want to make coasters, but I do want to charge people $8 for a coke when they step off one.

There is a management sim in there but it definitely takes a back seat compared to the very expansive coaster and scenery building aspects. If you've absolutely zero interest in the construction gameplay then you probably don't want it at the current price.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The gently caress, Academagia still isn't on steam at this rate? Jesus, that's just sad.

Is there a term for like classic but not CRPG from the likes of Pillars of Eternity, yet also not like original dragon quest old school? I'm always on the look out of those but its loving hard to wade through steam to find anything I don't already have or know what to look for sometimes.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Tenacious J posted:

Help, I want to get balls deep into a strategy game now. I know what all of these potential games are like and like the sounds of each even though they are different. What is best?

Stellaris, Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 4, Civilization 6, one of the total war games. What do I pick?

Pick the time period/setting that is most interesting to you.

Stellaris, CK2 and Europa are all great games.

See here for Total War:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/01/04/best-total-war/
The new Warhammer one is also apparently really good

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Tenacious J posted:

No interest in the WW2 themed Hearts of Iron 4? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Tenacious J posted:

I'd suggest also looking at Endless Legend and Endless Space 2 for Fantasy/Space 4X games.

• Locked thread