Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

Sokobond - puzzle game by the You Built a Snowman guy
Tales of Symphonia - I generally bounce off of JRPGs but man I just want one to click with me again
Age of Gladiators - I like sports management games a lot. the idea of a gladiator sports management game has me rock hard
Akin - a puzzle game where you draw a line. I like basic puzzle games like Lyne and Hexcells and whatnot a lot, this seems like it has that aesthetic / style
Siralim - pokemon on the PC with random dungeons?
Circa Infinity - this looks like an insane platformer and I like weird games
Abzu - walking (swimming) simulator by the guy who made Journey?
Turok - I said I would buy this when it hit 5$, so ... I'm not sure how much Kaiser gets out of this, but I hope it's something
ASDAD: All Star Dungeons and Diamonds - this looks like a pretty fun coop puzzle game I could play with my kid
Just want to mention that if you bought the itch.io A Good Bundle I think Sokobond is in that. I don't remember what tier it was in so you may want to check.

The only other game on that list I've played is Tales of Symphonia and I am NOT the one to ask for an opinion on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

I remember this. Just what is it exactly because I never got far in it.

On Eversion: It's an 8-bit puzzle platformer where you find these portals that take you to a Link to the Past-type Dark World which makes platforms and enemies move around. Only, there's like 5 levels of Dark World, each more Lovecraftian than the last. So in each level you have to find the proper sequence of portals to descend the correct amount into madness to progress to the end of the stage. It's pretty simple and a bit clunky, but if you still suffer from Old School Nintendo Platformer-itisTM then I'd still recommend it.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Phelddagrif posted:

Is Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma worth getting at $26.79 (33% off)? I've read the 999 LP and played through VLR, and enjoyed them both.

This is from pages ago but it's kind of like a really long boring badly acted movie that only sort of makes sense. As a real life escape room owner I enjoyed it but the story - however awesome it is - seems unnecessarily confusing. I liked it but only $20 liked it. I tried playing it on mushrooms and it really freaked me out.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Steam controllers are great but I held an Xbox wireless controller and it felt a lot more natural; considering getting one.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

Both good shadow run games (Dragonfall and Hong Kong) are the cheapest they have been in a sale and are excellent value for the price. They are seriously two of the most immersive RPG's I have played in a long time, with great writing and rewarding progression to them and seriously are well worth picking up at the price if you even have just a passing interest in the games.

Returns is not so good purely because the campaign is short and lacks the depth of the other two games.

Does it mean I should skip Returns even if I have it and start with Dragonfall?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Quick! Someone pick a game from my ":siren: always buy games and store them as gifts in your inventory!:siren:" for me to unpack and play.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Quick! Someone pick a game from my ":siren: always buy games and store them as gifts in your inventory!:siren:" for me to unpack and play.

What kind of mood are you in? Slime Rancher is really chill but early access, INSIDE is a lot like Limbo so it's bleak, Volume is like VR Missions or Marvelous Miss Take but with a lot of british writing

this is also me learning for the first time that Pac-Man 256 is on Steam

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak? I'm not a huge RTS player, but that game looks so beautiful, and it's verging down into impulse-buy territory for me, at least given the aesthetics.

Really good, in a way it feels more like a naval battle simulator with the focus around carriers and different kinds of smaller craft filling specific roles. Some of the concepts fairly similar to the other Homeworld games, but Deserts definitely has it's own unique thing going on.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

What kind of mood are you in? Slime Rancher is really chill but early access, INSIDE is a lot like Limbo so it's bleak, Volume is like VR Missions or Marvelous Miss Take but with a lot of british writing

this is also me learning for the first time that Pac-Man 256 is on Steam

It's a cold and dark rainy night in Seattle. So I'm thinkin' either Masochisia, Dweller, Thumper or True Fear

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Tenacious J posted:

Help, I want to get balls deep into a strategy game now. I know what all of these potential games are like and like the sounds of each even though they are different. What is best?

Stellaris, Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 4, Civilization 6, one of the total war games. What do I pick?

If you want to get truly balls deep, EU4 is imo the best strategy game ever made. But it takes an incredibly huge time investment- 40 hours in you'll maybe have a vague idea what you're doing. I have 1100 and I'm still learning things.

They all offer different things though, only one I'd maybe avoid is Civ 6- I haven't played it myself but from what I hear it still needs to mature a bit, try 5 for now instead maybe.

For the Total War games, unless there's a period you're interested in, I'd recommend one or other end of the spectrum- Shogun 2 is tight and collected but comparatively lacking in variety- Rome 2 is huge and with a massive number of different factions and flavors but not nearly as well refined. Every main title total war is a decent pick these days if it looks interesting to you though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Subnautica for :10bux:, hell yes. I might get more later - my wishlist is huge - but Pokemon Sun arrived so I'm going to be busy playing and I don't want to commit to anything more yet!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is Trillion: God of Destruction good? Outside of World Eaters, most disgea likes are kind of gross to me, especially if its all about apparently which MC you don't want to kill. It's loving going against my drat Suikoden instincts to kill a lot of characters I may like to maybe build myself up to kill a gimmic boss. That and these games kind of pride themselves on grinding, even for a JRPG.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 23, 2016

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
Lookin' at Shadow Tactics and there's a bundle deal that's a bit more but includes 4 more games that I've never heard of:
Crazy Machines 3
Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?!
Bounty Train
Valhalla Hills

Anyone have opinions about any of that garbage?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Mystic Stylez posted:

Dragonfall is significantly better, and leaves a better impression though Return's campaign is only about 8 hours long at most and is very linear. If you have any fondness for the old 16 bit shadowrun games there's some call backs in it that might make a good impression, but honestly Dragonfall is probably the better starting point.

If you do start with Returns and find you're not enjoying it definitely move right onto Dragonfall. It feels like a much more complete game and the missions and narrative are all much better.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Siralem looks more like someone besides me remembered Revelations:The Demon Slayer. Right down to the dumb gameboy style sprites for monsters, but mostly still pokemon with actual monsters.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mystic Stylez posted:

Play returns if you want a tutorial, because it's one very long tutorial. It's a good tutorial, but the actual game parts aren't very meaty.

I didn't much care for Dragonfall, though. Much of the game felt like a massive chore to me, and the opening story hook is hilariously weak.

On the other hand the actual mystery of the story is good.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Thanks to Kragger99 for Inside, Firewatch and Victor Vran! I intend on playing all three (I PLAY MY GAMES)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

It's a cold and dark rainy night in Seattle. So I'm thinkin' either Masochisia, Dweller, Thumper or True Fear

Dweller is tiny and you can finish it in an evening if so inclined. I wrote a big dumb paragraph about it a couple of weeks ago, I'll go find it and paste it below.

e: Found it

me posted:

Just finished 100%ing The Dweller, took about 3 hours. It can be kind of hard to tell from screenshots but it's basically a reskinned block slider puzzle game. You're an earth elemental demon and in every room you have to kill or frighten away all the archaeologists who are digging through your poo poo. You can only move through earth so air and wood act as barriers, but you can possess certain boulders and slabs and slide them around to get from one patch of dirt to another. So the entire game is variations on figuring out how and in what order to scoot rocks around that will let you eat and/or crush every other dude in that room.

It's pretty one-trick stuff, but a handful of the 59 levels were pretty drat challenging. The last handful of stages introduce some new mechanics but they both feel a bit tacked on and not as well developed as the basic rock sliding stuff.

A simple, short, repetitive game, but if you like puzzlers for 50c I say yes.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 23, 2016

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Incidentally I owned every game but Presequel and was able to use that bundle to get Presequel for insanely cheaper than it was going as a solo game.

Still wasn't worth it because hot drat it is just not fun. But if you had every game except Tales, totally use this to get that cheaper because it's good.

edit: How is Deathstate: Abyssal Edition? That looks fun.

I love it. I wrote a review on it and have a ton of hours logged. It's a roguelite bullet-hell shooter, except the actual act of shooting your primary "weapon" is automatic--you only manually activate special powers, items, and consumables. Seems really easy and basic, but can ramp up in difficulty fast. Absolutely love the art style, and this most recent update was a complete (but welcome) surprise.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Is Dragon Ball Xenoverse any good? Looks like my kind of action RPG.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Kragger99 posted:

I could be way off here, but the backgrounds you get for crafting the sale badges almost look like those 3D paintings...
I've tried to look at a couple of them, but nothing's popping out.
Not sure if there's some hidden meta game with them somehow. Just seems really strange to have patterns like that for no reason.

I see what you mean. I've only made 1 badge (thanks "get 10 cards of one type and 0 of another"!) but the background is odd. Multiple wizards with some of them lighter than others. The repeated pattern gives it uniform depth as a magic eye picture, but then so does the cheap carpet I see in government offices around here. But then looking at the other backgrounds I don't see anything 3D about them at all. Then again I've only seen scaled-down versions online and I've exhausted the amount I care right now. :)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

EightDeer posted:

Is Dragon Ball Xenoverse any good? Looks like my kind of action RPG.

Yes, but Xenoverse 2 does almost literally everything better. You may want to wait for a good sale on that.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How complete is Slime Rancher? I kinda have my eye on it.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Crabtree posted:

Is Trillion: God of Destruction good? Outside of World Eaters, most disgea likes are kind of gross to me, especially if its all about apparently which MC you don't want to kill. It's loving going against my drat Suikoden instincts to kill a lot of characters I may like to maybe build myself up to kill a gimmic boss. That and these games kind of pride themselves on grinding, even for a JRPG.

It's more of a 'Princess Maker' style waifu training game then a strategy RPG.

Disgaea 2 PC is out on Jan 30th so just get that instead.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mr E posted:

Is Resident Evil Revelations 2 any good? It and Revelations 1 are all I'm missing in that collection.

Revelations 1 is very solid.

2 is a bit weaker but the main issue is that it was a full game cut into episodes so the story flow is odd if you treat it like most episodic games. less of an issue if you just buy the whole thing as a pack.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Revelations 1 is very solid.

2 is a bit weaker but the main issue is that it was a full game cut into episodes so the story flow is odd if you treat it like most episodic games. less of an issue if you just buy the whole thing as a pack.

Alright, they're cheap enough I'll grab both 1 and 2's episodes then.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tenacious J posted:

Help, I want to get balls deep into a strategy game now. I know what all of these potential games are like and like the sounds of each even though they are different. What is best?

Stellaris, Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 4, Civilization 6, one of the total war games. What do I pick?

As has been mentioned, they are all good picks (except Civ6 which is kind of like an EA game right now, wait for an expansion or 2 to refine things).

Stellaris has been my go to game lately. You can play it as chill or as intense as you want. Its not terribly difficult though, even on the hardest settings.

CK2 is really good... once youve spent about 150 hours learning the basics on your own because gently caress tutorials or something. Theres a Game of Thrones mod that is really good for this too.

EU4 is probably the best of the bunch gameplay wise, but the time period is by far the least interesting to me.

Total War: Warhammer is the latest game in the series and its actually really good. Shogun 2 (+ Fall of the Samurai) is by far the most fun and in depth of them, though you wont find a large variety of units. After that the quality kind of falls off. Napoleon and Empire focus on gunpowder era battles and can be kind of boring, but they are the only games to get naval battles done right. Rome 2 is a giant mess with tons of variety but nothing to do with it.

e: Oh poo poo I totally gapped on Hearts of Iron 4. If you love WW2 strategy then this is definitely your poo poo. Follow history and play along or turn off historical accuracy and rule the world as communist Australia!

Crabtree posted:

Its a weird hybrid of SRPG, roguelike and dating sim. I thought it was OK but not great. If you want a JRPG get Neptunia V-II, its grind-free outside of optional content.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 23, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Now that I think about it, there is a ton of stuff from 2016 I missed. Anything from the past year people recommend in terms of "Best of the year?"

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Incidentally I owned every game but Presequel and was able to use that bundle to get Presequel for insanely cheaper than it was going as a solo game.

Still wasn't worth it because hot drat it is just not fun. But if you had every game except Tales, totally use this to get that cheaper because it's good.

edit: How is Deathstate: Abyssal Edition? That looks fun.

Just an FYI I owned every game except for Tales from the Borderlands in the "Take Over Your Life" bundle because I make bad decisions, but it does make Tales cost $2.31, so I guess I did something right. Just reiterating that you should buy it this way if you have a bunch of borderlands stuff.

kapi
Jul 21, 2003
That's the second largest monkey head I've ever seen
Is the DLC for Just Cause 3 worth it? I love explosions and I want to make sure i have enough explosions to go around.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

BigRed0427 posted:

Now that I think about it, there is a ton of stuff from 2016 I missed. Anything from the past year people recommend in terms of "Best of the year?"

I recently got and enjoyed both Superhot and Stardew Valley, they were both released in February.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Alright guys, need a recommendation. My 2 friends and I were gonna play civ tonight but then realized it apparently ate our save last time. 3+ hours down the drain. So we're looking for something else we can play/download quickly and cheaply.

So what are some 3-4 player coop games with small file sizes that are worth checking out? Can be indie as gently caress, I don't care.

(we have and have already played Monaco and Borderlands (all of them))

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Lowen posted:

I recently got and enjoyed both Superhot and Stardew Valley, they were both released in February.

stardew valley coming out in 2016 is one of those things that surprises me everytime I hear it cause I've spent so much time with it and read so much about it that it just seems like it's been around for way longer

PantsBandit posted:

Alright guys, need a recommendation. My 2 friends and I were gonna play civ tonight but then realized it apparently ate our save last time. 3+ hours down the drain. So we're looking for something else we can play/download quickly and cheaply.

So what are some 3-4 player coop games with small file sizes that are worth checking out? Can be indie as gently caress, I don't care.

broforce

edit: Overcooked is supposed to be really good to but I haven't played it yet.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 23, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Broforce, without question.

e: Golf With Your Friends is worth it too.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

PantsBandit posted:

Ultimate Chicken Horse isn't co-op, but it's quick and light and low-stakes, and a ton of fun. If Co-op is totally mandatory, though, +1 to Broforce.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

omg Thumper is so good ya'll. They finally did it. They made a horror rhythm game.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Zetsubou's games wot i quite like - pointless christmas awards edition

Part 1
Part 2

CAPSULE - $0.99 (-80%) - retro-computing-aesthetic floating-in-a-tin-can simulator
Closure - $0.99 (-90%) - puzzle game based on "if it isn't illuminated, it isn't there"
English Country Tune - $0.99 (-80%) - challenging 3D puzzle game
Faerie Solitaire - $0.99 (-90%) - good solitaire game with various upgrades and mechanics available
Koi-Koi Japan - $0.99 (-90%) - play a popular variant of the traditional Japanese card game Hanafuda
Lethal RPG: War - $0.99 (-80%) - casual RPG suitable for podcasting
McPixel - $0.99 (-80%) - stop the bomb exploding! You have 20 seconds!
Not The Robots - $0.99 (-90%) - stealth furniture-eating action
Realms of the Haunting - $0.99 (-90%) - proper old-school FPS gothic-horror game. I still have the original 4-CD set of this
Sandmason - $0.99 (-75%) - first-person puzzler with terraforming
Tribloos 2 - $0.99 (-90%) - a fine time-management type game
Great Permutator - $1.04 (-85%) - use conveyor-belts and machines to get boxes to the right locations
Finders - $1.19 (-80%) - a casual game that mixes a time-management style with simple crafting and mini-games
140 - $1.24 (-75%) - minimalistic rhythm platformer
Artificial Defense - $1.24 (-75%) - electronica-themed TD game
Divide By Sheep - $1.24 (-75%) - a cute game, try to get the right number of sheep onto the pontoon so they can float to safety
Highrise Heroes: Word Challenge - $1.24 (-75%) - build words from tiles and shake your fist at corn in the bible's high scores
One Finger Death Punch - $1.24 (-75%) - ONE. FINGER. DEATH. PUNCH.
Tisnart Tiles - $1.24 (-79%) - plays like the Super Collapse casual game, but with variations to how the playfield works
MirrorMoon EP - $1.29 (-87%) - abstract puzzle game where working out the rules is half the puzzle

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

omg Thumper is so good ya'll. They finally did it. They made a horror rhythm game.

You mean other than curse of the necrodancer? :)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

PantsBandit posted:

Maybe check out Monaco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

borderlands might be a good one for them too yeah?

• Locked thread