Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nckdictator posted:

For some reason I never read the old, weird 70's-80's Marvel comics, are they worth reading? I've liked what I've seen of them.

What's the best/ cheapest way to get a hold of them since Marvel reacquired the franchise?

I think they're on Marvel Unlimited. It's a per-month fee to read (almost) anything in their backcatalog, and is probably the cheapest option if you don't want permanent-ish copies.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's the quintessential EU problem of explaining things that need to explanation because they are self evident.

The gold standard for this is Hans parsec line. Shut up about black holes. He was just throwing out some impressive sounding bullshit to scam the ignorant locals and obi wans expression makes it clear he's trying not to roll his eyes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What was Krennic's accent in the Rogue One cold open? He does a standard Villainous British accent for most of the movie but in that first scene it sounds like Mendelsohn is partly using his natural (Australian) accent and partly a generic American one (or maybe I'm bad at accents and it was all Australian).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He has a lisp because of the way his teeth grow. I thought he was going for south African at first before I noticed how he sucks back on his chompers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

What was Krennic's accent in the Rogue One cold open? He does a standard Villainous British accent for most of the movie but in that first scene it sounds like Mendelsohn is partly using his natural (Australian) accent and partly a generic American one (or maybe I'm bad at accents and it was all Australian).

He's supposed to sound more "working class" than the standard "British Imperial" accent. Catalyst goes in to how Krennic has trouble hobnobbing with all the 'old money' imperials because he started as a lowly engineer.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The NJO was worth it because it gave us Traitor, which is (in diegetic chronology) the last piece of interesting fiction in the EU. Maybe those Legacy comics I didn't read.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still say Hard Contact is one of the best examples of what the EU should be, smaller scale stories focusing on fun characters. None of the apocalyptic implications of each new doomsday plot. Just a small commando operation with do or die consequences.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still say Hard Contact is one of the best examples of what the EU should be, smaller scale stories focusing on fun characters. None of the apocalyptic implications of each new doomsday plot. Just a small commando operation with do or die consequences.

See also the Wraith Squadron series. "The Dirty Dozen with starfighters and weird aliens" should not be a difficult sell for an animated or Netflix series.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sick of clone wars stuff.

Wraith Squadron would be perfect.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Chewie?

:ohdear:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

General Battuta posted:

The NJO was worth it because it gave us Traitor, which is (in diegetic chronology) the last piece of interesting fiction in the EU. Maybe those Legacy comics I didn't read.

I've always wanted to read that one because it's by Matthew Stover and Stover jumped pretty high up my favorite authors list after I read his Caine books. Sadly, I refuse to read the like dozen other lovely NJO books that come before it.

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014

Khizan posted:

I've always wanted to read that one because it's by Matthew Stover and Stover jumped pretty high up my favorite authors list after I read his Caine books. Sadly, I refuse to read the like dozen other lovely NJO books that come before it.

It's hard to judge without ever being in that situation, but I imagine you *could* just jump in and read that book on its own. It will definitely feel super weird compared to "normal" Star Wars but it is quite isolated from the rest of the NJO events in a sense. It'd be interesting to see what you'd make of it in Stover's hand without being familiar with any of the weirdness beforehand.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Traitor was one of the first EU stories to really question the light/dark parable, right? It came out around the same time as the Quinlan Vos comics and the Jedi Outcast game, so there was a fair bit of unorthodox Jedi behavior being promoted at the time.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Chairman Capone posted:

So as mentioned above, here are my thoughts on the politics of the 4-episode 2012 Onderon arc from The Clone Wars where Saw Gerrera was introduced. ...

the GFFA equivalent of Iran Contra

I... think I want to watch Clone Wars. Is it all like this? I seem to recall a suggested viewing list years ago, but I don't think it was in this thread.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rochallor posted:

I... think I want to watch Clone Wars. Is it all like this? I seem to recall a suggested viewing list years ago, but I don't think it was in this thread.
Just watch the whole thing but skip the movie. If you don't want to do that I'd say watch Darkness on Umbara and the following episodes in the story arc, that will give you a taste of what the show is like at its best. I personally thought the show was good for the first season, but really got to love it in the second.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the best view of the Force is Mara in Vision of the Future as a positive and Kreia as a negative

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rochallor posted:

No, no it isn't. The Clone Wars had an okay first season, a second season that starts strong but ends weak, and a third season that is rather middling but has an excellent finale. Everything afterwards is extremely uneven, with some loving great episodes next to some utterly terrible ones. Squandered potential is how I describe the clone wars. After the first two seasons, the show shifts focus from a wide cast of characters to double down on every drat thing anakin does regardless of whether it is interesting or not.
I really like the first season for how varied the stories are, and the terrific Ryloth trilogy. Second season has one of the best clone centric episodes, but it collapses towards the end of the run by falling back on homage after homage to other films rather than interesting episodes. Season 3 goes full on Republic Commando with its finale and I wish the Trandoshans stuck around as villains.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
The first EU thing I read (besides the "Glove of Darth Vader") was Vector Prime. Around 2003 I was trying to read up on Star Wars online when I read somewhere that Chewbacca had died. My mind was utterly blown by that so I decided to start reading there.

I'm surprised I stuck with the EU after that. Went back and read most of the earlier novels, checked out after the bug orgy and stopped reading anything chronologically after that. One thing that stuck with me though is how much I enjoyed the short stories compared to the novels. The novels mainly focused on the Big 3 saving the New Republic from a random superweapon or warlord of the week (with notable exceptions). The short stories on the other hand could focus on just about anything: Jabba's guards and their magic 8 ball, that weird Corellian Jedi playwright thing, an imperial officer hunting down slavers, Fett taking on an entire imperial base, random treasure hunters,etc . Sure, most of them weren't much better then the novels but they at least allowed various story and characters ideas that normally wouldn't be considered "Star-Wars-like"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The Tales Of book were classics even if they didn't have the GALAXY WIDE ESCALATION of the others. Yeah they suffered from 'everyone knows or did something that helped the plot of the movies' syndrome but they were still good stupid fun. Reading about the clusterfuck chaos of the Model Nodes before they were forced to play in the Mos Eisley Cantina was fantastic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really liked Tales From the New Republic. There were some very strange stories in that collection, but I remember the Uhl Eharl Khoehng story being a neat fusion of a simple Jedi versus Dark Jedi story with Wagner style opera.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38423963

This isn't good.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Oh no :(

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Welp, guess we know who the next of the Big Three to be killed off will be.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
gently caress this chickenshit year

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SeanBeansShako posted:

The Tales Of book were classics even if they didn't have the GALAXY WIDE ESCALATION of the others. Yeah they suffered from 'everyone knows or did something that helped the plot of the movies' syndrome but they were still good stupid fun. Reading about the clusterfuck chaos of the Model Nodes before they were forced to play in the Mos Eisley Cantina was fantastic.

I really enjoyed the Labria one.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I also liked Wuher turning what was left of Greedo into a drink for Jabba.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So it looks like there was a pretty huge list of people doing voice work for Rogue One. I was certain I heard Steve Blum as the Stormtrooper during the Blade Runner esque scene, turns out I was right. From Wikipedia:

Wikipedia Entry posted:

The additional voices ranging from Stormtroopers to other background characters are provided by David Acord, David Ankrum, Steve Bardrack, Verona Blue, Steven Blum, Dave Boat, Eugene Byrd, David Cowgill, Jonathan Dixon, Michael Donovan, Terri Douglas, Robin Atkin Downes, Dave Filoni, Michael Giacchino, John Gilroy, Tony Gilroy, Tom Harrison-Read, Kevin Hickman, Karen Huie, Tom Kane, Lex Lang, Vanessa Lengies, Yuri Lowenthal, Vanessa Marshall, Alexi Melvin, Flora Miller, William M. Patrick, Christopher Scarabosio, Orly Schuchmacher, Kat Sheridan, Christian Simpson, David Sobolov, Julian Stone, John Schwartz, Fred Tatasciore, James Arnold Taylor, Sam Witwer, and Matthew Wood.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

gently caress this chickenshit year

It had to go out with a bang.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
This is the price we pay for CGI necromancy.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I finally went to see Rogue One and the highlight of the movie was certainly the rebirth of Red and Gold leaders

It was okay. If they make a director's cut version, I'll buy it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

So it looks like there was a pretty huge list of people doing voice work for Rogue One. I was certain I heard Steve Blum as the Stormtrooper during the Blade Runner esque scene, turns out I was right. From Wikipedia:

I think these guys all did voices on TFA, too... ah, here's a list of who of them did which lines in TFA:

http://www.starwars.com/news/from-blast-that-x-wing-to-traitor-the-voices-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Siivola posted:

I finally went to see Rogue One and the highlight of the movie was certainly the rebirth of Red and Gold leaders

It was okay. If they make a director's cut version, I'll buy it.

Also the Rebels having a ship design that's about 3,000 years old in their fleet. The Hammerhead first appeared in the original KOTOR.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That is one sturdy rear end reliable design.

So I got TFA for christmas and having seen it a second time most of it is still golden on a 2nd viewing the only bit that I find slightly off is the whole not the Mos Eisley Cantina/Not Yoda bit which really seems clunky now but gently caress it the battle afterwards is pretty neat.

Also, still loving hate the name Snoke.

Still pumped for the next two films.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SeanBeansShako posted:

That is one sturdy rear end reliable design.

What's even better is what they use it for. :black101:

Guess if you're raiding a museum to steal the exhibits you may as well go all the way destroying galactic history.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Also the Rebels having a ship design that's about 3,000 years old in their fleet. The Hammerhead first appeared in the original KOTOR.
Technically, they're only inspired old designs. The engine arrangement is completely different, for instance.

:goonsay:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One other thing I appreciated about Rogue One is how it featured the Death Star only destroying targets on particular planets since ANH had a bit where Tarkin said destroying Alderaan would be the first test of its full power.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Brb need to save a crying child from the middle of a firefight to inject some emotion into the scene.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Arcsquad12 posted:

Brb need to save a crying child from the middle of a firefight to inject some emotion into the scene.

The emotion comes later when the Death Star blows it all to hell... leaves a kind of emptiness in your gut, like here comes this new thing that completely invalidates all previous trite action movie heroics... it's one of the quite a few things Rogue One does that actually elevates ANH.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I actually liked this given, unless I'm misremembering, the girl's mother seems as pissed at Jyn as she is at the imperials and just snatches her kid back from Jyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chairman Capone posted:

I actually liked this given, unless I'm misremembering, the girl's mother seems as pissed at Jyn as she is at the imperials and just snatches her kid back from Jyn.

Yeah. A lot of the people in the city looked like they hated both the Rebels and the Imperials.