Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I always did wonder how people dumped arcade ROMs, and how they "figured out" special chips in the SNES/SFC games. That's... far more hardcore than what I ever imagined, I figured there was just some way... to. Magic or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

d0s posted:

He "dumps" the ROM by having a computer analyze a photo of it

Oh man, that's amazing.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

What model is it? I mean, it could well be NTSC only, but it seems odd that it would be.

PVM-2054QM. Apparently someone else has the same problem, but no answers.

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 22, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Atari released a port of the original rollercoaster tycoon for Android and iOS. It's really well done. Feels exactly like the original, but with a touch optimized UI. I just played for like two or three hours on a plane.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Atari released a port of the original rollercoaster tycoon for Android and iOS. It's really well done. Feels exactly like the original, but with a touch optimized UI. I just played for like two or three hours on a plane.

You can also import your stuff from the RCT2 on the PC if you want.

Someone was saying that its not a complete port though as some of the sounds are off or missing but its as close as they could get it.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Got my SNES + PSF2/GDSF7 hooked up again...

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Weird.

The link below is for a PDF of the manual (multiple languages):

https://epic.awi.de/32539/1/sony-monitor_pvm-2054qm.pdf

It says that the color system should be chosen automatically (from NTSC, PAL, and SECAM), but perhaps it expects NTSC by default. There might be a menu option to manually set the color system, but beyond that, it's weird that PAL support appears to be incomplete. It might be an interesting test to try hooking up a PAL VCR or something and playing a PAL tape on it, and seeing what happens then.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Things I wished I didn't accidentally do whilst playing with an NES Advantage:

Frustrating when you have to actively un-jam it before you get killed.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Things I wished I didn't accidentally do whilst playing with an NES Advantage:

Frustrating when you have to actively un-jam it before you get killed.

Oh man, this totally used to happen to me back in the day!

I sure miss that controller. I should replace the guts in mine with an SFC30's guts... though I wonder how I could make the turbo work...

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Not too sacrilegious to put simple tasteful spine labels on famicom carts, right?

e: got none of the Konamis and fancier that came with them in the first place

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 23, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Not too sacrilegious to put simple tasteful spine labels on famicom carts, right?

It certainly keeps in the spirit of the Famicom being cheap gaudy.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Code Jockey posted:

I always did wonder how people dumped arcade ROMs, and how they "figured out" special chips in the SNES/SFC games. That's... far more hardcore than what I ever imagined, I figured there was just some way... to. Magic or something.

You don't need to do that to just dump an EPROM. All that takes is plugging it into a chip reader hooked up to a computer. This is dumping the onboard ROM of a protected microcontroller designed specifically to prevent anyone from reading out the data inside. Some nasty ones (like certain Dallas chips) are even designed to self-destruct if tampered with.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Luigi Thirty posted:

You don't need to do that to just dump an EPROM. All that takes is plugging it into a chip reader hooked up to a computer. This is dumping the onboard ROM of a protected microcontroller designed specifically to prevent anyone from reading out the data inside. Some nasty ones (like certain Dallas chips) are even designed to self-destruct if tampered with.

I hope it's a tiny explosion or flame.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

al-azad posted:

It certainly keeps in the spirit of the Famicom being cheap gaudy.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Needs robocop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hooboy, okay, we need to talk about Mario Party 4 a bit. Four boards in and someone needed a solid beating for pushing the Mega/Mini mushroom gimmick onto everything. Anything remotely interesting on the board requires you to be Mini, and that's gonna cost your run at the Star so no-one will do it. That's if you even have a Mini-Mushroom to pop, because landing on the Mushroom spaces gives you a random one, regardless of the box you choose to open.

• Toad's Midway Madness.
    • Actually pretty decent, except for the Teacups at the start arbitrarily locking every second player through it into a gently caress-you turn-wasting loop.
  • Goomba's Greedy Gala
    • Once the roulette wheel at the center dumps you in a corner, good loving luck getting out of it. The only ways back are to hit specific Spaces in two of the three corners you can be deposited in. The other lets you proceed back to the start just fine. It's not even a hard board to fix, just feels unfinished and untested.
  • Boo's Haunted Bash
    • The first Star got placed behind one of those Mini-only pipes. No-one could get near it until it was Chomp Whistled somewhere better. And I suspect the Boo at the Piano right in front of it would've hosed up an attempt at reaching it regardless.
  • Shy Guy's Jungle Jam
    • Outright-fun. Especially when the only gimmick is using the Shy Guy statues to cut the board in half with a flooded river to gently caress over everyone behind you :flip:.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The kanji says "profit horse shyster" so WTF is apropos

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

It's just exactly what it says, Pizza Pop!, with Mario. What's so hard to understand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rcdONOe8Ew

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

It's just exactly what it says, Pizza Pop!, with Mario. What's so hard to understand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rcdONOe8Ew

Profit horse shyster... Buddha???

I hope this means something sensible in Chinese.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

That cart of mine is actually a romhack of that romhack :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"Ah, with the Steam sale I can finally get a copy of Quest for Glory 5...

"Oh, gently caress! I lost my QFG save game decades ago so I have to start over at the first one!"

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
This Steam sale my goal is to get GTA5 for no money. I'm gonna idle like a motherfucker and flip cards; already at $12 just from selling my backlog.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hooboy, okay, we need to talk about Mario Party 4 a bit. Four boards in and someone needed a solid beating for pushing the Mega/Mini mushroom gimmick onto everything. Anything remotely interesting on the board requires you to be Mini, and that's gonna cost your run at the Star so no-one will do it. That's if you even have a Mini-Mushroom to pop, because landing on the Mushroom spaces gives you a random one, regardless of the box you choose to open.

Mario Party 4 is easily the worst in the series and the Mini/Mega system and bland board design is a big part of that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Charles Get-Out posted:

This Steam sale my goal is to get GTA5 for no money. I'm gonna idle like a motherfucker and flip cards; already at $12 just from selling my backlog.

I stopped selling cards when they changed the system around and now it's just a pain the rear end to do it for me. Also, I dug around for retrogaming deals and the browsing system seems to be significantly worse than it used to be with the tags completely flooded with irrelevant junk.

Honestly the digital stores don't seem to have many real retrogaming deals at all this Christmas. The Steam sale has the now standard minor markdowns on things there, but there's no real standouts worth mentioning. I can point out that there's currently a Humble Sierra bundle which is what reminded me that QfG is on Steam, but I didn't get it because literally the only game in the bundle I didn't have was QfG5 and it cheaper to buy the non-sale price bundle on Steam than to pay into that tier for just that game.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

turns out my Turbo Force PCB was an undumped newer version than what's in MAME, I dumped it and gave it to them last night and it should be in the next release (0.181). I suspected this for a while because it had a copyright screen at boot than the one in MAME didn't but the news about sound being added to fire shark and vimana finally made me get off my rear end and contribute to an awesome project

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/ef01109e3914de6074c2f583f8bb0bd4a4a32a8b

what I dumped was only the socketed EEPROMs and not the soldered-on mask ROMs or PALs, I was going to send it to the dumping union to have it fully analyzed and dumped but it seems this board is worth way more than the $125 I paid (apparently over a grand?!) and it works fine in MAME with just the new EEPROMs plugged into the old set so they thought it would be better for everyone to not attempt to mess with desoldering or risk damage during shipping or whatever.

so yeah when you see two nearly identical versions of this borderline kusoge in the next MAME instead of just the one you know who to thank :smugdog:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Random Stranger posted:

I stopped selling cards when they changed the system around and now it's just a pain the rear end to do it for me. Also, I dug around for retrogaming deals and the browsing system seems to be significantly worse than it used to be with the tags completely flooded with irrelevant junk.

Honestly the digital stores don't seem to have many real retrogaming deals at all this Christmas. The Steam sale has the now standard minor markdowns on things there, but there's no real standouts worth mentioning. I can point out that there's currently a Humble Sierra bundle which is what reminded me that QfG is on Steam, but I didn't get it because literally the only game in the bundle I didn't have was QfG5 and it cheaper to buy the non-sale price bundle on Steam than to pay into that tier for just that game.

Oh fudge, I thought I was in the Steam thread with that. But I agree, Steam is kind of poo poo for retro junk. At least GOG exists.

Anyone here have any opinions on which is the most entertaining out of the Speccy games Alien 8, Bubbler, Cyberun, Knight Lore, Night Shade, Pentagram, and Gun Fright? I posted about it in the retrocomputing thread, but would like to canvas some more opinions cause those are realistically $80 MSX carts for me. Gun Fright seems the coolest conceptually, though someone in retrocomputing said Alien 8 and Knight Lore were likely the best.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

njsykora posted:

Mario Party 4 is easily the worst in the series and the Mini/Mega system and bland board design is a big part of that.

it's the worst in the series and holy poo poo is that saying something

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

njsykora posted:

Mario Party 4 was the first one I played, and it was so bad that I never bought another.

I watched that Mario Party series LP in its entirety (years ago, I don't even think 9 was out yet), and came away from it with the opinion that the only entries in the series I'd even consider owning are 3 and 5.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Weird.

The link below is for a PDF of the manual (multiple languages):

https://epic.awi.de/32539/1/sony-monitor_pvm-2054qm.pdf

It says that the color system should be chosen automatically (from NTSC, PAL, and SECAM), but perhaps it expects NTSC by default. There might be a menu option to manually set the color system, but beyond that, it's weird that PAL support appears to be incomplete. It might be an interesting test to try hooking up a PAL VCR or something and playing a PAL tape on it, and seeing what happens then.

Have tried a PAL VCR and it also doesn't output in colour. I'm just conviced something inside is broken.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rollersnake posted:

Mario Party 4 was the first one I played, and it was so bad that I never bought another.

I watched that Mario Party series LP in its entirety (years ago, I don't even think 9 was out yet), and came away from it with the opinion that the only entries in the series I'd even consider owning are 3 and 5.

Mario Party 2 is also well worth your time.

Also Luigi is loving dead to me because that motherfucker Reversal-of-Fortuned my 3 Stars and 150-odd coins of to Wario. That green plumber is a dead motherfucker. :rant:

I savescummed because it's Story Mode and the second-last turn.

njsykora posted:

To be fair, the minigames are pretty decent with all of maybe 3-4 bad ones. Whoever made Bowser's Bigger Blast a Battle Minigame is a sick, twisted motherfucker and I love it. It is insidiously tense with 50 coins apiece riding on the push of a plunger.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Charles Get-Out posted:

Anyone here have any opinions on which is the most entertaining out of the Speccy games Alien 8, Bubbler, Cyberun, Knight Lore, Night Shade, Pentagram, and Gun Fright? I posted about it in the retrocomputing thread, but would like to canvas some more opinions cause those are realistically $80 MSX carts for me. Gun Fright seems the coolest conceptually, though someone in retrocomputing said Alien 8 and Knight Lore were likely the best.

My answer would be Knight Lore but my real answer is "please don't sully your MSX with Spectrum games".

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Need some advice. I want to replace some buttons on my arcade stick.

They're standard sanwa buttons but I want to replace them with something with some feedback. Like something with cherry switches?

Really don't know where to begin.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I mean, you can literally buy Cherry MX switched arcade buttons, but I suspect they're more of a gimmick.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Yeah but can I just slot them in? I have no clue about this stuff really. I just want something with feedback which I guess is more American style.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You just clip the buttons in, like any other. Generally the best advice is to just order a handful of different styles and see which you like best and order 3 more of them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mace Bacon posted:

Have tried a PAL VCR and it also doesn't output in colour. I'm just conviced something inside is broken.

It's entirely possible that the PAL decoding circuitry broke while it was in use wherever it was from, and nobody noticed because they only used NTSC to it. (I may have misread, but I believe you said other things worked)

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

fishmech posted:

It's entirely possible that the PAL decoding circuitry broke while it was in use wherever it was from, and nobody noticed because they only used NTSC to it. (I may have misread, but I believe you said other things worked)

Yeah, NTSC and RGB work perfectly, it's just anything PAL doesn't bring up colour. It would have been used for PAL stuff, and maybe it's worn out over time.

So if I get an RGB cable for my Aus Mega Drive (and maybe even the SC-3000 if that does RGB out) will that work? Since it seems RGB is it's own thing.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

Yeah but can I just slot them in? I have no clue about this stuff really. I just want something with feedback which I guess is more American style.

First off, "clicky" arcade buttons are horrible and I don't think you actually want that. Try Seimitsu PS-14-G buttons, they are satisfyingly heavy and feel very "industrial". They're also the correct buttons for the Neo-Geo artwork you have as they came standard on those cabs:

They work in all the same places your Sanwa buttons do, while I don't think the american buttons do

e: actually he's a video of me whacking on a seimitsu button to give you an idea what they feel/sound like. it's completely different from sanwa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZYgvS1iV1s

d0s fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 23, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a page late on Super Game Boy chat but since it's just a Game Boy in an SNES shell, I'm surprised no one figured out a way to swap it with Game Boy Color hardware to get GBC-only games working on the SNES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

d0s posted:

First off, "clicky" arcade buttons are horrible and I don't think you actually want that. Try Seimitsu PS-14-G buttons, they are satisfyingly heavy and feel very "industrial". They're also the correct buttons for the Neo-Geo artwork you have as they came standard on those cabs:

Seconding this button. The Sanwa probably feels like it has no feedback because they activate with like feather touches. I had to replace mine because I would accidentally push them just by touching the button slightly which I'm not cool with. Seimitsu PS-14 buttons have a longer throw distance so you actually have to be trying to hit the loving thing in order to activate the switch. The difference is probably like 2mm in reality but the difference it makes is very noticable without changing the look and feel of your stick other than just needing to hit the button to hit the button.

• Locked thread