Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

R. Mute posted:

i blame marc wilmots for loving up the easiest draw in history and going out against not actually a nation but one of england's cuck-countries

well i mean belgium is also not actually a nation so that part sort of fits tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Avshalom posted:

i absolutely loving hate whistling more than any other noise on earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4RjJKxsamQ

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

R. Mute posted:

did people see your butt?

Yes

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

My boss got me an Uncle Tetsu's Cheesecake for Christmas today.

Now Im even more sad that the best boss ever is leaving Dec 31st. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im going to drown my sorrow in cheesecake and cheap Steam sales.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Canada's healthcare system might look magical from the outside but working in it is quite soul destroying.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That's just capitalism my friend.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

WoodrowSkillson posted:

A guy making 100k still needs to go to work every day, suck up to his boss, pay taxes, and cannot just go buy stuff whenever he feels like it. His cash is still within the realm we can all relate to.

What planet the gently caress are you from

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Volkerball posted:

What planet the gently caress are you from

a guy making 100k is prolly mid-level management or an engineer with a bigger rear end in a top hat boss above him

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

a guy making 100k is prolly mid-level management or an engineer with a bigger rear end in a top hat boss above him

At a massive rich as gently caress company that employs a hundred times as many people who make nowhere near that much. 100k a year is rich as hell.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you get a divorce and that makes your spouse rich, you're rich.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Volkerball posted:

If you get a divorce and that makes your spouse rich, you're rich.

It makes better financial sense to marry a rich spouse though. You got it backwards.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

It makes better financial sense to marry a rich spouse though. You got it backwards.

If you're making 100k a year and you find a spouse you consider "rich," congratulations. Enjoy life before you're lined up against the wall.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Do you think, in practice, that most Americans judge someone's class by their net worth or by their behavior?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Pirate Radar posted:

Do you think, in practice, that most Americans judge someone's class by their net worth or by their behavior?

I think they judge it by their own net worth and class. If you're on a career track that could see you making 6 figures, and so are your peers, then yeah that probably seems like a totally normal income. Leads to a hell of a blind spot though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Volkerball posted:

If you're making 100k a year and you find a spouse you consider "rich," congratulations. Enjoy life before you're lined up against the wall.

No you marry the spouse who makes 100k

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

stone cold posted:

u dodged a bullet

shut the gently caress up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOLvaEnaVUo

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Volkerball posted:

I think they judge it by their own net worth and class. If you're on a career track that could see you making 6 figures, and so are your peers, then yeah that probably seems like a totally normal income. Leads to a hell of a blind spot though.

this perception is also extremely malleable and can go up or down easily depending on your immediate circumstances

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Berke I needed a way to feed all my raider outposts, so I started turning the commonwealth into a bunch of massive concentration camps. In one I have Sheffield in a jail cell with a nuka cola machine just out of reach lol.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Berke Negri posted:

this perception is also extremely malleable and can go up or down easily depending on your immediate circumstances

yeah this is kind of a thing too, because like as kkk said if you're total family income is like 100k and you've got kids, house, etc and live in suburbia that money can disappear pretty quickly

like you're obviously not "poor" but your life can get turned upside down pretty quickly because you're not likely to have "wealth" in the sense of true "rich people"

you're petite bouj, not actual bouj

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Volkerball posted:

Berke I needed a way to feed all my raider outposts, so I started turning the commonwealth into a bunch of massive concentration camps. In one I have Sheffield in a jail cell with a nuka cola machine just out of reach lol.

that's hosed up

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

yeah this is kind of a thing too, because like as kkk said if you're total family income is like 100k and you've got kids, house, etc and live in suburbia that money can disappear pretty quickly

like you're obviously not "poor" but your life can get turned upside down pretty quickly because you're not likely to have "wealth" in the sense of true "rich people"

you're petite bouj, not actual bouj

Total family income of 100k is not the same thing as making 100k.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'd say 150k family income is probably the point where you switch to full on booj. You may not have "wealth" but you would if you weren't busy maintaining such a lavish lifestyle.

Edit: actually no, gently caress y'all. It's a lot lower than that.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 23, 2016

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Open casket seems like a bold choice

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, I might have phrased my question wrong but this is what I figure. I think a lot of Americans hit the technical, on-paper definition of upper class way before they would actually start thinking of themselves as rich.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

those honor guard uniforms are just tacky

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
left dude is skeezy as gently caress

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Goa Tse-tung posted:

left dude is skeezy as gently caress

Its bc hes russian. Everyone in the picture is mega skeev

Like, what is it about russia that everyone from tiny babies to old men have dark circles around their eyes at all times.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rexicon1 posted:

Like, what is it about russia that everyone from tiny babies to old men have dark circles around their eyes at all times.

wodka

and krokodil

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't want to cast aspersions on the russian people as a whole, but something is seriously wrong with your country when your solemn mourning armbands are made of red crushed velour

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

those honor guard uniforms are just tacky

I don't mind them at all tbh. Like, obviously as a Westerner I would never be caught dead in a red armband and even the bib front jackets look like costume pieces, but Russia has its own design language and symbolism going on.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"I didyn't even gyet to poison hyim"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
In 2005, in the midst of a career of traveling around the world to help set up elections in some of the most challenging places on earth – Afghanistan, Burma, Egypt, Lebanon, South Africa, Sudan and Yemen, among others – my Danish colleague, Jorgen Elklit, and I designed the first comprehensive method for evaluating the quality of elections around the world. Our system measured 50 moving parts of an election process and covered everything from the legal framework to the polling day and counting of ballots.

In 2012 Elklit and I worked with Pippa Norris of Harvard University, who used the system as the cornerstone of the Electoral Integrity Project. Since then the EIP has measured 213 elections in 153 countries and is widely agreed to be the most accurate method for evaluating how free and fair and democratic elections are across time and place.

When we evolved the project I could never imagine that as we enter 2017, my state, North Carolina, would perform so badly on this, and other, measures that we are no longer considered to be a fully functioning democracy.

In the just released EIP report, North Carolina’s overall electoral integrity score of 58/100 for the 2016 election places us alongside authoritarian states and pseudo-democracies like Cuba, Indonesia and Sierra Leone. If it were a nation state, North Carolina would rank right in the middle of the global league table – a deeply flawed, partly free democracy that is only slightly ahead of the failed democracies that constitute much of the developing world.

Indeed, North Carolina does so poorly on the measures of legal framework and voter registration, that on those indicators we rank alongside Iran and Venezuela. When it comes to the integrity of the voting district boundaries no country has ever received as low a score as the 7/100 North Carolina received. North Carolina is not only the worst state in the USA for unfair districting but the worst entity in the world ever analyzed by the Electoral Integrity Project.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

And that's why we should pay for and help rebuild NC GOP centres for the sake of democratic legitimacy.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The Muppets On PCP posted:

In 2005, in the midst of a career of traveling around the world to help set up elections in some of the most challenging places on earth – Afghanistan, Burma, Egypt, Lebanon, South Africa, Sudan and Yemen, among others – my Danish colleague, Jorgen Elklit, and I designed the first comprehensive method for evaluating the quality of elections around the world. Our system measured 50 moving parts of an election process and covered everything from the legal framework to the polling day and counting of ballots.

In 2012 Elklit and I worked with Pippa Norris of Harvard University, who used the system as the cornerstone of the Electoral Integrity Project. Since then the EIP has measured 213 elections in 153 countries and is widely agreed to be the most accurate method for evaluating how free and fair and democratic elections are across time and place.

When we evolved the project I could never imagine that as we enter 2017, my state, North Carolina, would perform so badly on this, and other, measures that we are no longer considered to be a fully functioning democracy.

In the just released EIP report, North Carolina’s overall electoral integrity score of 58/100 for the 2016 election places us alongside authoritarian states and pseudo-democracies like Cuba, Indonesia and Sierra Leone. If it were a nation state, North Carolina would rank right in the middle of the global league table – a deeply flawed, partly free democracy that is only slightly ahead of the failed democracies that constitute much of the developing world.

Indeed, North Carolina does so poorly on the measures of legal framework and voter registration, that on those indicators we rank alongside Iran and Venezuela. When it comes to the integrity of the voting district boundaries no country has ever received as low a score as the 7/100 North Carolina received. North Carolina is not only the worst state in the USA for unfair districting but the worst entity in the world ever analyzed by the Electoral Integrity Project.

was this written before or after the nc state government moved to strip power from the commissions and positions that they lost control of before opposing party members could be seated?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

ehhhhh if you're doing things like insisting on sending your kids to private school to avoid nonwhites and other such silly things, i guess.

but that's the sort of money where you get moans that they don't have any money left, after you drop a hefty chunk of change into savings/long term investments each month. instead of actually not having any money left.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I, too, do not have money after I spend it on discretory expenses.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

was this written before or after the nc state government moved to strip power from the commissions and positions that they lost control of before opposing party members could be seated?

it was published yesterday; the rest of the piece goes into that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

oh a hijacking how retro

• Locked thread