Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I can't imagine not paying to keep the lights on in her position while still wanting to live together.

this is why it makes more sense to assume she doesn't actually have access to the money, rather than she'd rather sit in a cold dark apartment playing mindgames with a blue collar schmuck who she may decide to marry someday if he can just tough it out

like i said earlier, i know a guy who will inherit a few million bucks on his 40th birthday but before then he gets a pitiful monthly stipend and he has to hold down a dumb job same as every other jerk until then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Baron Corbyn posted:

Her money doesn't make me like her less, her willingness to let someone she cares about live in poverty makes me like her less. You're the one making up bollocks about maybe the settlor not giving her access to enough money to pay for heating when her boyfriend is working 50 hours a week when it's far more likely that it's a situation like Tom Gorman's and yes, they could afford heating.

The guy being a money grabber doesn't change the story beyond making it slightly less aggravating.

If you need trust fund money to have hot water you are doing something wrong/stupid.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Pick posted:

Because it disappears quick, and in all likelihood she didn't earn it so why should she spend it? It's a safety net from your predecessors, it's not a loving target gift card.

I'll play devil's advocate because I'd at least try to be sensible - assuming she has access to the money, go pay off any outstanding debts, don't touch the rest, and keep working but have a better work/life balance. :shrug:

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 23, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

boner confessor posted:

drat it's a shame you're working for minimum wage when apparently you have the power to audit people's financial documents telepathically and can determine their disposable income via the internet. amazing. you're like a bitter working class version of those people who can tell what should and shouldn't be in someone's shopping carts based on their apparent socioeconomic status

i mean she's living in poverty right there with him, let's assume she's a crazy miser who's torturing the poor bastard for fun haha

I'm not working for minimum wage and I don't think she's doing it for fun. People are weird with money and we have another example of the exact same thing on this page or is Tom Gorman a liar, too?

Warbadger posted:

If you need trust fund money to have hot water you are doing something wrong/stupid.

Poor people are wrong/stupid? Nice.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

504 posted:

If I was rich I'd stop wearing pants.

I would too. I would have the fanciest silk drapes carved by pristine virgins in some distant land to prevent neighbors from peeping like weirdos though.

Or maybe I'd live in a tiny cabin in the woods with lots of cats :3: just like Baba Yaga!

no pants 4 life

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
My (26F) husband (29M) sold our son's birthday gift for a video game for himself and feels no remorse

quote:

So as the title says, my husband traded in the Wii we got our 8 year old for his birthday this summer at Game stop for credit to buy a Grand Theft Auto game for himself.
I know it's long but here it is.
A little back story on us: we have been tight financially this year as my husband's took a nose dive with the oil field. He changed jobs but it requires traveling. We moved to another town he was supposed to be working at long term (3+ years) and struggled even more BC the rent was outrageous ($1,600+). Our son (his stepson but SO has been in his life since he was 2) had his birthday this summer and my husband suggested buying him a Wii. I didn't think it was a good idea since he already has an Xbox 360 but my husband is into games and I felt I should just agree with him. The Wii (a used Wii from GameStop since we were low on money) and like 2 games was the only thing our son got for his birthday.
Then, my SO came home on a Thursday saying he had to be at a new job site 6 hours away that Monday. We have a relative with a large home an hour away from the site who welcomed us in and we moved over the weekend. Now, months later, we still haven't gotten ahead financially for a few reasons. One being my husband loves video games on his phone. He spent over $1,000 in less than a month from games on his phone and overdraft fees. After a talk he has improved but stills spends money on crap ($20 on fastfood, $15 on gas station junk, constantly spending money on games).
About 2 weeks ago the job moved again 2 hours away; he is rooming with coworkers so it isn't a huge deal. He took our sons TV and Xbox 360 to have at his apartment which wasn't a hug deal since we have an Xbox 360 here at home for our kids to watch TV on (no cable, just neflix,Hulu,etc). When he left, he bought $50 in games. Then he came home today and took our middle son to town. He came back with a new video game and asked me to call out his redemption code for something. On the receipt I saw he had traded our sons Wii and the games that went with it. I asked him about it and he said he traded it in and it shouldn't matter since our son never plays on it. I didn't say a thing. I was too mad.
I'm livid. I calmed down and after dinner told him I thought it over and we are going to give our son money to do whatever he wants with and my husband said "I don't care".
I said " Good BC it was wrong of you. It was his birthday present"
He says "well He wasn't using it"
I said "well it was his and if he decided to sell it, that would be his decision"
He replies "if there would have been two of them, I would have traded them both in"
I said "I believe it".
I just can't understand how someone can act like this. He sold his son's gift to buy something for himself. It makes me sick and I don't know how to proceed.
I'm sick of the selfish crap he does. We had $40 in the bank Tuesday until tomorrow and he spent $30 on games on his phone. I'm reaching my break in point and his unapologetic attitude is sealing the deal.
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! Also, I apologize for any errors. I'm on mobile and its hard to type, especially when you're mad.
TL;DR: husband unapologetically traded in son's bday gift for a video game for himself and this is the last straw after a ring of financially idiotic actions concerning video games.
tldr my husband is a selfish piece of poo poo with no self control or financial responsibility who is addicted to mobile games and ruining our life wat do i do

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

How do you spend $1000 on mobile phone games in a month?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Murder him.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Everyone defending her is acting as if he couldn't take out an extra $50 each month from her trust fund to pay utilities WITHOUT EVERY REVEALING SHE'S A MILLIONAIRE.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
As a person with more savings than I appear to have, I never tell anyone I'm dating about it. The dynamic always changes and I don't want to pay for every little thing like it always ends up being.

Maybe the woman just wants to be treated like an equal instead of a piggy bank.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Charles Get-Out posted:

As a person with more savings than I appear to have, I never tell anyone I'm dating about it. The dynamic always changes and I don't want to pay for every little thing like it always ends up being.

Maybe the woman just wants to be treated like an equal instead of a piggy bank.

No-one's saying she should lavish money and gifts upon him, just pretend she gets a little extra money at her job to pay basic utilities.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Jeffnote: I'm dating James Bond[35M]

Me [30F] with my boyfriend [35M] of 1 year. He is NOT happy with gift.

quote:

I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for a year. We met while I was traveling. We've stayed in our respective places while we work out seeing each other again. It's definitely a long distance relationship. But we talk daily and manage.

He's mentioned wanting to start a youtube channel in the past. He also talks about the terrain near his home. So I thought it would be neat to get a go pro for him for xmas. He sent me a gift, so I thought it would be okay to send him one.

It arrived today and he was NOT happy. He had a panic attack when he opened it. First he said it was too expensive and his work wouldn't let him have one (he works for the government in his country). Then, when I inquired, he just said he didnt like cameras, that he used his outdoors time to get away from people and a camera would be intrusive. Then he went on to talk about the intrusiveness of his employer. He finally said he was too upset to talk and that he was sorry, but was too uncomfortable with the situation (with the camera), and that he's giving it to charity tomorrow.

I'm lost. I thought it was an okay gift. He is hard to shop for, and I just didn't see it coming. I admit I was a bit crushed at his reaction. Is there an obvious reason he reacted this way that I'm just not seeing?

tl;dr: Boyfriend reacted strongly when I got him a cam for xmas. Had a few reasons said it makes him uncomfortable. Does this mean something obvious that I am missing?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Baron Corbyn posted:

No-one's saying she should lavish money and gifts upon him, just pretend she gets a little extra money at her job to pay basic utilities.

Essentials are worse than gifts. You unbalance the rent or utilities or groceries and it never goes back to normal.

I'll agree it's odd that she's willing to live without some basic amenities, and that other story from way back where the two were living comfortably and the woman was just mad he was "wasting" his separate cash on charity was way more agreeable overall, but I sympathize with the position of not wanting to be your partner's financial support.

That being said, I don't think a relationship where one dude tries to make ends meet at 50 hours a week and one woman makes sick bank off her rental properties is very tenable in the first place; just not gonna judge the girl for what she decided to do.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

How can anyone defend the OP after he admitted that he snooped through her mail? :psyduck: People go into a rage when other snoop their partner's phones but when it's the mail it's whatever?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
^thats what I said! Super lovely of him

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Jeffnote: I'm dating James Bond[35M]

Me [30F] with my boyfriend [35M] of 1 year. He is NOT happy with gift.

Donate it?! Those things are not cheap! Send it back so she can return it at least. Jesus Christo

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Charles Get-Out posted:

Essentials are worse than gifts. You unbalance the rent or utilities or groceries and it never goes back to normal.

I'll agree it's odd that she's willing to live without some basic amenities, and that other story from way back where the two were living comfortably and the woman was just mad he was "wasting" his separate cash on charity was way more agreeable overall, but I sympathize with the position of not wanting to be your partner's financial support.

That being said, I don't think a relationship where one dude tries to make ends meet at 50 hours a week and one woman makes sick bank off her rental properties is very tenable in the first place; just not gonna judge the girl for what she decided to do.

With him working 50 hours and her working 20, I'm pretty sure it's already unbalanced and he said it's only some months they go without heating so it's not like it would be regular nor would he even need to know about it until he started snooping around her private mail.

HardDiskD posted:

How can anyone defend the OP after he admitted that he snooped through her mail? :psyduck: People go into a rage when other snoop their partner's phones but when it's the mail it's whatever?

I don't think anyone's defending him. It's just a happy coincidence that he's a poo poo.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HardDiskD posted:

if he hadn't then we wouldn't be able to collectively pretend she's swimming in money but just choosing to live in squalor because she's, uh, secretly evil, i guess. because people often choose to go without basic necessities if it means their romantic partner suffers equally, that makes a lot of sense

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Baron Corbyn posted:

With him working 50 hours and her working 20, I'm pretty sure it's already unbalanced and he said it's only some months they go without heating so it's not like it would be regular nor would he even need to know about it until he started snooping around her private mail.

Yeah that's what I was getting at when I said the relationship wasn't tenable. It's not gonna work anyways so he should find a sugar momma who wants to pay for him if he's that intent on getting one and she should find someone who isn't gonna snoop.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Charles Get-Out posted:

Yeah, and people don't think it's a major mooch to ask for $20 here and there, but if all your friends are doing it, then yeah it rapidly ramps up to be paying for everyone's meals and everyone's cab ride and everyone's x/y/z and it's a major expenditure.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

HardDiskD posted:

I think this is like when the family was making GBS threads all over the toilet and people chose to talk about the tp usage instead, it's being ignored because no one thinks there's more than one side to that particular issue.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Charles Get-Out posted:

Yeah that's what I was getting at when I said the relationship wasn't tenable. It's not gonna work anyways so he should find a sugar momma who wants to pay for him if he's that intent on getting one and she should find someone who isn't gonna snoop.
I mean if you consider how long their relationship had previously been going it doesn't look like the guy was looking for a sugar momma. He worked more hours and said she moved into 'his' place but that she pulled from her savings to help with rent, how he was in a situation where he could afford it on his own but can't afford it with her chipping in is neither here nor there, but maybe that's part of the cleverly crafted troll.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean if you consider how long their relationship had previously been going it doesn't look like the guy was looking for a sugar momma. He worked more hours and said she moved into 'his' place but that she pulled from her savings to help with rent, how he was in a situation where he could afford it on his own but can't afford it with her chipping in is neither here nor there, but maybe that's part of the cleverly crafted troll.

Totally fair. I didn't look at the age of the relationship, just his clearing of doubts and desire to tie her down now that he knows she's maybe rich.

edit in response to your edit: Keep in mind that people spin stories to make themselves look sympathetic and favorable. I kind of doubt they skipped utilities at all, but it's in the text so I'm treating it as gospel for purposes of discussion.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Charles Get-Out posted:

Eh, I disagree. For them to be talking about marriage/kids they must have been happy despite the money situation. If he wasn't a snoop and she was willing to pay a little extra for utilities, it'd have been fine.

boner confessor posted:

if he hadn't then we wouldn't be able to collectively pretend she's swimming in money but just choosing to live in squalor because she's, uh, secretly evil, i guess. because people often choose to go without basic necessities if it means their romantic partner suffers equally, that makes a lot of sense

It's because

quote:

I'm sorry to shatter your illusion the rich are morally impeachable ubermensch but when someone posts her logical line of reasoning in this very topic you've got to drop your persecution complex about us thinking the rich are cartoon villains, mate.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Maybe she grew up wealthy and this is her pilgrimage to the other side of the tracks, if you know what I mean. I did it. It was loving awful but I'm glad I did. Taught me to appreciate money and also appreciate owning a mattress.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Finally someone is in the corner of the rich, a truly downtrodden class

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm sorry to shatter your illusion the rich are morally impeachable ubermensch but when someone posts her logical line of reasoning in this very topic you've got to drop your persecution complex about us thinking the rich are cartoon villains, mate.

how is it not getting through to you that you have no idea if she can even access the money, so it's dumb to blame her for not spending money she may or may not actually have. you have no window into this woman's financial statements or mindset re: her boyfriend except you have a burning desire to blame her for being a stingy bitch based on nothing but your own imagination

like she's living in near poverty, either she's cash poor but rich on paper, or she's holding out in making her own living conditions more comfortable with her own partner based on mysterious reasons you can access from the ethereal plane of jealousy apparently

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 23, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
as long as we're just making things up i'd like to propose that the documents are fake and part of an elaborate scheme to trick this poor idiot into marrying her so he can be her piggy bank

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

boner confessor posted:

how is it not getting through to you that you have no idea if she can even access the money, so it's dumb to blame her for not spending money she may or may not actually have. you have no window into this woman's financial statements or mindset re: her boyfriend except you have a burning desire to blame her for being a stingy bitch based on nothing but your own imagination

like she's living in near poverty, either she's cash poor but rich on paper, or she's holding out in making her own living conditions more comfortable with her own partner based on mysterious reasons you can access from the ethereal plane of jealousy apparently

Or she's slumming it and, like literally everyone who is rich, is garbage

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

boner confessor posted:

How is not getting through to you when there are people defending her actions based on the story provided, you pillock? There's a perfectly reasonably reason of not wanting your partner to be financially dependent on you that literally every person defending her has posted in this topic and the other person who was in this exact same situation posted about. It only becomes indefensible when you're making your partner live without heating when you could easily remedy the situation.

I mean rich people living in poverty for reasons is common enough that there's a goddamn song about it.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 23, 2016

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Anyone remember that starving artist stoner who actually had bank from his grandpa's estate, that was a good story

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baron Corbyn posted:

How is not getting through to you when there are people defending her actions based on the story provided, you pillock? There's a perfectly reasonably reason of not wanting your partner to be financially dependent on you that literally every person defending her has posted in this topic and the other person who was in this exact same situation posted about. It only becomes indefensible when you're making your partner live without heating when you could easily remedy the situation.

she is also living without heating so it's really weird she would willingly choose to do this just to put pressure on a guy. welp she's rich, must be evil i guess, i'm sure she's cackling it up lighting cigars with hundred pound notes down at the social club before she goes home to her cold, dank slummy apartment to crawl shivering into bed with a man she secretly despises

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

boner confessor posted:

she is also living without heating so it's really weird she would willingly choose to do this just to put pressure on a guy. welp she's rich, must be evil i guess, i'm sure she's cackling it up lighting cigars with hundred pound notes down at the social club before she goes home to her cold, dank slummy apartment to crawl shivering into bed with a man she secretly despises

I never said any of that but continue to believe that slumming it is not a thing that rich people do in order to defend your moral and, more importantly, financial superiors.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

boner confessor posted:

Yes, literally. That's exactly what's happening, because the world is stacked against people with money as well as temporarily embarrassed millionaires such as yourself.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i get that british people get weird about their hosed up class system but gee whiz yall are reading a hell of a lot into a story about how a guy who spied on his partner is actually doing the right thing

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Has anyone considered she might be very traditional in a sexist way and arbitrarily expect her boyfriend to be the primary breadwinner?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't care if she could pay for it or not, "gimme" money from your predecessors is not something any person has an obligation to touch if they don't want to.

The cheapest person I know is my great-aunt, who still sews all her old clothes. She looks and dresses so poor that people hand her money because they think she is an indigent old woman. She has around ten million dollars. That's just how she rolls and did when her husband was alive also. She'll die having barely touched anything the two of them ever earned and that's her prerogative.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

I don't care if she could pay for it or not, "gimme" money from your predecessors is not something any person has an obligation to touch if they don't want to.

can you blame her? the existence of her money has made complete internet strangers pop a cork about her holding out based on a reddit post. money ruins relationships

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

boner confessor posted:

i get that british people get weird about their hosed up class system but gee whiz yall are reading a hell of a lot into a story about how a guy who spied on his partner is actually doing the right thing

Please show me a single post where anyone defended this guys actions. For someone who's getting so upset about the poor little rich girl's actions being misrepresented, you're doing a drat fine job of misrepresenting everyone else's arguments.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
And here I was thinking the chair derail was stupid pointless boring poo poo laden garbage.

1. ITS MORE LIKELY THAN NOT A FAKE STORY

2. MORE MORONS/CUCKS/POLYS ITT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Poor, poor dumb little idiot boy, run away. Run far away.

Me [22M]with my girlfriend [20F] of 1 month, her "intoxicating" yet unstable ex [22M] wants to hang out with her

quote:

Little backstory: I have been best friends with my now girlfriend for some time before we started dating and are now a couple. She's great and complements me in many ways. Before me she dated a guy who is pretty much my polar opposite.
I'm very stable, committed to school and research, quiet, caring, insightful and nerdy without the stereotypical "negative" social traits most people associate with nerds. Her whole family loves me, and she even says I'm exactly what most people look for.
Her ex-boyfriend is the opposite. Unstable, off and on, emotionally distant, a "bro" (no offense to any bros), all over the place with school, and cheated on her twice. He's got a great physique (I have a non-exciting runner physique) and she even said she sometimes thinks about how attractive he was (which is probably normal).
Whereas I'm safe, interesting, and caring he's much more "intoxicating" (her words). She describes me as a good partner but he makes her feel intoxicated
What happened: recently he texted her out of the blue after 9 months wanting to get coffee. She said she felt a twinge of emotion and intoxication again, but also panic at how unstable he made her. She said to be honest even up to a few weeks ago she was hoping to sleep with him again or get back together and that he just makes her feel a certain way.
She told him it wouldn't be wise to get coffee, but now she's unsure and wonders if she should've decided to get coffee. Should I be concerned? I'm slightly worried I can't really "compete" with that kind of person/relationship dynamic. She sometimes comments that she doesn't feel the same way with me as she did with him, and isn't always as attracted to me sexually whereas she was with him. Thanks