Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

sensitivepigeon posted:

Another Thursday, another CG! Sorry if this was already posted.

Deliver Rare Goods from Frost Dock in the Njambalba system - > Clauss Port in Santa Muerte
- Rares w/ a special reward: Chrome eagle for ALL participants.
- Frost Dock is an Industrial Outpost, no large pads available, no shipyard, 32,306 Ls from main star, 156.02 Ly from Sol
- Distance from source to destination: 224.82 Ly
- You can only pick up 24 tons of the source material at a time.

Furuhjelm III-674 has two CGs up: Trade and Bounty hunting.

http://inara.cz/galaxy-communitygoals

That they keep choosing stations >20kls from the landing point is so obviously a giant "gently caress you" to the casual fan base.

"Oh, you want to enjoy some of the limited content we created: have fun with 20 minutes to an hour in super cruise, ya know, just cause!"
:smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Gonkish posted:

Been trying to get back into Elite, and I picked up an Anaconda with a fighter bay. I have a 7A shield gen in the thing, three class A shield boosters... and the shields are made out of tissue paper. The optimal mass for the shield gen is like 1060t, I'm at about 1070t without cargo (0 cargo in combat, obviously)... and a single Python can and will chew through a full shield AND half my hull before I can kill him? What am I doing wrong here? I have no idea, it's been months since I actually sat down and tried to kill anything in the game. Seems like every single NPC ship can out-turn me, outshoot me, has better shields, better weapons, infinite chaff that lasts forever, etc. My chaff does nothing, they all seem to be perfectly accurate... it's weird. Not even my fighter can do poo poo and it has fixed weapons. Every single ship is an immortal god, and I'm frail as gently caress. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :smith:

Chaffs useless on an anaconda, you are simply too big to miss swap it for another booster.
Constant maneuvering thrusters to avoid fire, FA off turns to bring your guns to bear, all pips to shields when you are getting hit and a low power weapon load so you can fire constantly works for me.

Also get out in your fighter and just mark targets for your NPC who will soon become a god of death.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hey at least the Type-6 can be used as a cheap explorer/trader on the road to eg. an Asp-E. Then again, with how no one trades anymore, maybe not.

It's gonna be a Type-7 skin.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That they keep choosing stations >20kls from the landing point is so obviously a giant "gently caress you" to the casual fan base.

"Oh, you want to enjoy some of the limited content we created: have fun with 20 minutes to an hour in super cruise, ya know, just cause!"

Same route as last year's CG, maybe they're expecting us to save Xmas with a fleet of Cutters like before?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Good Dumplings posted:

Same route as last year's CG, maybe they're expecting us to save Xmas with a fleet of Cutters like before?

My Cutter is standing by. I'm down.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Gonkish posted:

Been trying to get back into Elite, and I picked up an Anaconda with a fighter bay. I have a 7A shield gen in the thing, three class A shield boosters... and the shields are made out of tissue paper. The optimal mass for the shield gen is like 1060t, I'm at about 1070t without cargo (0 cargo in combat, obviously)... and a single Python can and will chew through a full shield AND half my hull before I can kill him? What am I doing wrong here? I have no idea, it's been months since I actually sat down and tried to kill anything in the game. Seems like every single NPC ship can out-turn me, outshoot me, has better shields, better weapons, infinite chaff that lasts forever, etc. My chaff does nothing, they all seem to be perfectly accurate... it's weird. Not even my fighter can do poo poo and it has fixed weapons. Every single ship is an immortal god, and I'm frail as gently caress. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :smith:

1. Get the 'heavy duty' engineer upgrade for your shield boosters, at lvl 5 it will make each booster do the work of 3 (but maybe hold off because I think the upcoming balance patch is supposed to nerf this with diminishing returns somehow?).

2. Don't forget to put 4 pips in SYS while you're taking fire.

3. Until you get the dirty drives upgrade for your thrusters, you're going to have a hard time turn fighting against a lot of NPCs while flying an Anaconda. Set your throttle to 50% reverse and just take it on the chin (see 1 & 2) while wearing opponents down with your bigger and more numerous weapons.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

20kly only adds like 5 minutes in sc , it's not Hutton or anything.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

My Cutter is standing by. I'm down.

I have a Type 9 with Vibrant Red paint. I'm still super rusty getting back into the game and am AWOLAF from any previous group activities, but I'd love to get in on this.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I forgot entirely about the Engineers. I was doing some of that a while back, and holy poo poo was it grindy as gently caress. I mean, I know that grind is literally all that Frontier does, but holy poo poo the grind on those upgrades was dumb. It actively drove me away from the game last time. :(

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL

Wolfechu posted:

20kly only adds like 5 minutes in sc , it's not Hutton or anything.

but it's still pointless tedium

Elite: Dangerous - Tedium Is Perfection

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

jnnnnn posted:

but it's still pointless tedium

Elite: Dangerous - Tedium Is Perfection

Oh for sure. But still, if you're gonna gonna find the travelling in a Spaceship part of the game tedious, well

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Chrome Eagle huh?

I haven't flown an Eagle since uh... they were first implemented in Beta.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Wolfechu posted:

Oh for sure. But still, if you're gonna gonna find the travelling in a Spaceship part of the game tedious, well

ruh roh

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Wolfechu posted:

Agh, nobody hates traveling in a ship you dingus! Docking's good, mining's not bad at all because those loving rocks keep spinning and the limpets are dumb as balls, tooling around on planets is neat. Those things are traveling. It's all the waiting while your ship does nothing that people hate.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
If you consider mining to be traveling then enjoy your travels from your desk to the shitter, the long journey to take your next big poo poo. Excuse me while my hand travels from my mouse to my keyboard so I can type my retort, italicized for effect.

I just want to gently caress inside these ships, have you seen these things?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

They're already roleplaying that in Star Citizen, this is why walking in spaceships is never done.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Hey hey guys!

Did you hear what multicrew won't have?

NPC crew

Hear what else it won't have?

Shared missions.

:frontear:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Good Dumplings posted:

Agh, nobody hates traveling in a ship you dingus! Docking's good, mining's not bad at all because those loving rocks keep spinning and the limpets are dumb as balls, tooling around on planets is neat. Those things are traveling. It's all the waiting while your ship does nothing that people hate.

Eh, Don't mind me, I'm still in an explorer mindset, where the travelling is kinda the point, and if you're wanting to scan something 100Kls away in a system, it's a minor irritation.

Mining is chill, though that always seems more time consuming to me than in-system travel. Shoot rock, wait five minutes for the limpets to gather poo poo up, repeat.

Docking, gently caress that. I'm able to dock manually if needs be, but I always have a docking computer. Docking's when you check Facebook and the like.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Hey hey guys!

Did you hear what multicrew won't have?

NPC crew

Hear what else it won't have?

Shared missions.

:frontear:

Wait is this a thing, because if so loving lol

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Wolfechu posted:

Docking, gently caress that. I'm able to dock manually if needs be, but I always have a docking computer. Docking's when you check Facebook and the like.

Seriously? Landing and taking off at absurdly unsafe speeds is super fun, you're really missing out.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Crow posted:

Wait is this a thing, because if so loving lol

:rip: multicrew

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Mimesweeper posted:

Seriously? Landing and taking off at absurdly unsafe speeds is super fun, you're really missing out.

I have to be in the mood, really. Usually I'm carrying something like 600t of cargo, so I'd rather let the ship do the part where I slam into the side of the station. It's slightly better at docking than me.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I myself never got over the "I have illegal cargo TIME TO RUN HOT FAST AND SILENT" mentality that Robigo gave me in regards to docking. It helps that I really enjoy flying hot and fast.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Wolfechu posted:

I have to be in the mood, really. Usually I'm carrying something like 600t of cargo, so I'd rather let the ship do the part where I slam into the side of the station. It's slightly better at docking than me.

If you haven't pinballed your Asp full of illegal crap all over the inside of a station and landed anyway... well, you should.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Stations suddenly look a lot shorter when you come in the slot at boost silent running with no shields and that drat big prong at the end wall is moving forward much quicker than you'd like :o:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I hate Engineers. They're just yet more grind on top of the extreme amounts of grind that already permeate every aspect of the game. Is it so much to ask to be able to enjoy the flight model and combat (which are great) without being forced to go shoot space rocks for Johnny Jerkwad off in the rear end-end of space who absolutely demands that I provide billions of tons of said space rocks so that he has enough space rocks to jerk off to for all eternity?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gonkish posted:

I hate Engineers. They're just yet more grind on top of the extreme amounts of grind that already permeate every aspect of the game. Is it so much to ask to be able to enjoy the flight model and combat (which are great) without being forced to go shoot space rocks for Johnny Jerkwad off in the rear end-end of space who absolutely demands that I provide billions of tons of said space rocks so that he has enough space rocks to jerk off to for all eternity?

That's not grind, it's content.

-The brown sea

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Gonkish posted:

I think this is the main thing preventing me from playing the game, I haven't touched it since a few months before engineers came out. I am not space rich and was slowly upgrading my diamondback scout doing high-res bounty hunting, but now it sounds like I will be getting my rear end handed to me all the time unless I go spend a few days hauling space rocks to get my poo poo upgraded.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Koobze posted:

I think this is the main thing preventing me from playing the game, I haven't touched it since a few months before engineers came out. I am not space rich and was slowly upgrading my diamondback scout doing high-res bounty hunting, but now it sounds like I will be getting my rear end handed to me all the time unless I go spend a few days hauling space rocks to get my poo poo upgraded.

It's a lot more than a few days to unlock some of them. One by one.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mimesweeper posted:

I'm like the most boring person alive, I always land and take off at zero speed

(Because I like using my various thrusters to position myself perfectly, before awkwardly crashing myself into the landing pad.)

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Koobze posted:

That was exactly my problem. I had scrimped and saved to get to $100 million to buy a Python and outfit it. A lot of that was done in haz-res with my fully decked out Vulture.
Things were good at the time and I was able to get back to $90 million fairly quickly from doing events and more haz-res. Being allied to Arissa Lavigny-Duval and getting to level 4 helped.

Engineers came out and I checked it out and did the initial fetch quests for them so they would talk with me. It looked really grindy after that and I stepped back from the game for a while.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago and I picked the game back up and was in my Vulture in and went back to my usual haz-res and only killed a few ships before I was making a quick retreat and barely got out in one piece.
Before engineers I could stay in there for an hour and my shields would barely ever get down to one ring. After engineers even Sidewinders are small death machines.

The grindy part of engineers is sort of what gets me. It should be an either/or situation.
Either you pay me 2 to 3 times more for the materials OR you go out and get the materials yourself.

From a few posts above about the travel tedium:
That's something else Frontier could do something about if they wanted to.
Jumping from system to system isn't bad. It's the cruising that becomes soul crushing to me.

Easy fix? They add another slot called Nav/Com where you can have your navigation computer. Standard computer does what it does now.
Higher upgrades incorporate a docking computer and makes the speed/distance windows increase.
Maybe even add an auto-glide feature where it will slow you down and drop you out as efficiently as possible.

Of course that will never happen.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Koobze posted:

This. Except also this:

DancingShade posted:

It's a lot more than a few days to unlock some of them. One by one.

It's like Frontier actively does not want you to play the game unless you're the kind of person who loves old-school Korean MMOs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gonkish posted:

This. Except also this:

It's like Frontier actively does not want you to play the game unless you're the kind of person who loves old-school Korean MMOs.

It's funny you say this because...

I was curious so the past few weeks I've been cycling through a few trash mmos specifically just to see how they handle grinding. The boring highly repetitive kind. They've all been Korean, Chinese or Russian - so you know the grinding is Pretty Serious Business.
(so we're talking Skyforge, Tera, Black Desert, Perfect World International client, etc)

While the progression mountains are of course vast I have to say they handle it much better than ED does in every respect, especially with regards to measurable progress bars and mini plateaus where your effort pays off before you hit the next "gently caress off and grind more" barrier.

Compare that to ED and it's fairly obfuscated what you're grinding for, how it helps, where you are up to or even where to go next. Plus if your combat rank was sufficiently high to begin with you're basically fighting the endgame raid content all the way with your level 10 rusty sword.
Also everything is RNG based and if you grind too efficiently it's considered exploiting.

ED: handles grinding worse than Asian and Russian mmos. :toot:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Remember when engineers was meant to be fun unique upgrades and tradeoffs instead of something all players had to compulsively minmax to remain competitive (with who??)

E: I mean maybe it was never intended that way but it should have been

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Strategic Tea posted:

Remember when engineers was meant to be fun unique upgrades and tradeoffs instead of something all players had to compulsively minmax to remain competitive (with who??)

E: I mean maybe it was never intended that way but it should have been

With the enhanced AI dangerous and up enemies that riddle your encounters and RES sites when your combat rank is sufficient. They have engineer upgrades so you literally do need them to have an even footing.

If you combat rank is low or mid range this won't be immediately apparent.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I mean we're not even talking min/max here, we're talking "oh hey, you want to do THIS FUN THING? well gently caress you, grind space rocks and space boar butts all loving day because otherwise you're absolute dogshit at it, even if you were previously capable".

Like, money and faction grinds? Yeah they're annoying but at least you have options. You can outright ignore the faction grind if you don't care about the Vette or Cutter. Money at least lets you do THE FUN THING while making some cash, even if it's not amazing. Engineers is just straight up "You want to do THE FUN THING? gently caress you. Grind." and even then you apparently just end up being roughly at the same point that you were prior to the update.

I honestly just don't want to be bothered. I just want to log in, shoot bad mans, and enjoy the flight model. I don't want to log in and grind for space boar asses and shoot space rocks in my space buggy, all for the chance of at least sorta kinda maybe almost getting my ship back to where it was before this bullshit was implemented. The whole methodology behind the Engineers update is apparently "The grogs are bored and the grogs are masochists, ergo EVERYONE MUST SUFFER!"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Chrome Fed Gunship :xd:

Also :lol: at feeling like you aren't getting enough attention and validation here and posting a cry post on the Reddit :xd:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 23, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

With the enhanced AI dangerous and up enemies that riddle your encounters and RES sites when your combat rank is sufficient. They have engineer upgrades so you literally do need them to have an even footing.

If you combat rank is low or mid range this won't be immediately apparent.

The problem with this system is that the combat rank will always slowly raise as long as you dare to occasionally shoot an enemy. So over time, even explorers and traders will suddenly be visited by ridiculously strong NPCs. Even though those players probably don't want to be "challenged" by a Kaizo-version of Elite. The only way to "work around" this is by never even attempting to fight, which is batshit crazy pants design.

It seems to me like Frontier didn't fully think through the implications of tying enemy spawns directly to your combat rank. (I think this system should be reworked by either creating another, special "true" combat rank you can only advance with special combat missions, or by reworking the old combat rank to only advance like this. Both ways would prevent players who don't want to be challenged by Super-NPCs to enjoy the game while at the same time not taking away the fun from more challenge-oriented players.)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Libluini posted:

The problem with this system is that the combat rank will always slowly raise as long as you dare to occasionally shoot an enemy. So over time, even explorers and traders will suddenly be visited by ridiculously strong NPCs. Even though those players probably don't want to be "challenged" by a Kaizo-version of Elite. The only way to "work around" this is by never even attempting to fight, which is batshit crazy pants design.

It seems to me like Frontier didn't fully think through the implications of tying enemy spawns directly to your combat rank. (I think this system should be reworked by either creating another, special "true" combat rank you can only advance with special combat missions, or by reworking the old combat rank to only advance like this. Both ways would prevent players who don't want to be challenged by Super-NPCs to enjoy the game while at the same time not taking away the fun from more challenge-oriented players.)
It's tied to ship as well as rank (so if I try using my anaconda for trade I get hounded by deadly condas and fdls but in a t9 I get master asps erryday) but yeah they should really have the difficulty of npcs tied to where you are rather than who you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Pilchenstein posted:

It's tied to ship as well as rank (so if I try using my anaconda for trade I get hounded by deadly condas and fdls but in a t9 I get master asps erryday) but yeah they should really have the difficulty of npcs tied to where you are rather than who you are.

Even then it's wonky at times with how mismatched it makes the NPCs compared to you.

The other day I was in my Anaconda and minding my own business going to a station in supercruise. I get interdicted by a Dangerous NPC who wanted my cargo.
That's all well and good, except he was in an Adder.

He didn't last 15 seconds.

• Locked thread