Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
I love Revelation. Particularly because it was the last classic Who where they used film on location, and Graeme Harper-directed film at that. It's a bit depressing to watch the on location videotape of, say, Curse of Fenric, and think about how much nicer it would look on film.

I don't love the horrible freeze frame edit at the very end, though. Only JNT would do something like that, rather than (for example) just asking the script editor to open the following season with a two line explanation of why they didn't end up going to Blackpool after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm not entirely sure what the Doctor is doing in Revelations, he barely does anything.

He walks about in the snow for an episode. :v:

No, I don't really like "Revelation". It has some good Doctor vs Davros exchanges which I wish there'd been more of, and Terry Molloy is very entertaining in it, but it's one of those episodes where Saward was clearly a lot more invested in those badass Clint Eastwood mercenary gunslinger characters he liked (see also: Lytton) and trying to do Bob Holmes style intrigue than in telling a story about the Doctor.

It does also have the single best reaction to getting exterminated by a Dalek there's ever been in the entire series, but even that can't make me care about it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wheat Loaf posted:

It does also have the single best reaction to getting exterminated by a Dalek there's ever been in the entire series, but even that can't make me care about it.

This one? :allears:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
It's also got Clive Swift being a massive arsehole. It must have been tough for him.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
It also gave us Colin Baker in the Sixth Doctor's best costume.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I'm disappointed that it cuts off just before he slowly reaches his hand out to his boss then drops dead.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I'm not a huge fan of Dudley Simpson but this is a hugely catchy little tune, made it seem like Summer again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0vyx6HGSD0

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

One thing Revelation had going for me is that some of favourite Who characters are the Orcini types - competent in their own right and seeming as if they may have been almost able to solve the problems on their own, meaning that the Doctor participates instead of simply appearing and solving everything for everyone. Orcini and Bostock may have not been the best example, but for me it was refreshing to see a plot resolved by the Doctor's participation rather than by his godlike intervention.

If that distinction at all makes sense. I haven't caffeinated yet today.

Now that I think about it, there were quite a few Peter Davison plots that unfolded like that. My mind first went to Black Orchid, though.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

CommonShore posted:

One thing Revelation had going for me is that some of favourite Who characters are the Orcini types - competent in their own right and seeming as if they may have been almost able to solve the problems on their own, meaning that the Doctor participates instead of simply appearing and solving everything for everyone. Orcini and Bostock may have not been the best example, but for me it was refreshing to see a plot resolved by the Doctor's participation rather than by his godlike intervention.

If that distinction at all makes sense. I haven't caffeinated yet today.

Now that I think about it, there were quite a few Peter Davison plots that unfolded like that. My mind first went to Black Orchid, though.

I think I get what your saying. You like stories where the situation is almost solved, but the Doctor provides that little extra push that turns it up to 11.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CobiWann posted:

I think I get what your saying. You like stories where the situation is almost solved, but the Doctor provides that little extra push that turns it up to 11.

Rather my preference is that the Doctor not be a Christ-like savior and is more of an adventurer among others meaningful agents. I realllllly don't like certain aspects of the RTD era which essentially had all of Earth "praying" with their cell phones for the Doctor to save them whatever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CommonShore posted:

Rather my preference is that the Doctor not be a Christ-like savior and is more of an adventurer among others meaningful agents. I realllllly don't like certain aspects of the RTD era which essentially had all of Earth "praying" with their cell phones for the Doctor to save them whatever.

It was probably one of the things I hated most about the RTD era, and I'm not crazy about when Moffat does it either. All that "The word Doctor means 'mighty warrior" on Zejebel 7" nonsense.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It gives it so much more importance than it ever really had.

Susan just called him a Doctor because that was a human occupation and then she never really thought of a first name to give him and he never gave a poo poo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Right? And so when the Doctor comes down a beatific peg or two, the best stories typically involve a few characters whose competence and decisions matter beyond the typical "hubristic guy who fucks everything up for the doctor to fix." For some reason thinking about this brings The Sun Makers to my mind, but I can't cite textual evidence as to why I feel that way about it.

I think that this may be why I like River's and (Jack Harkness's) stories generally, even when they're weaker - she's a site of competence outside of the Doctor, and her adoration for him has more solid footing in her characterization. I like to think of the "Mighty Warrior" stuff as her poetic hyperbole rather than any kind of fact, though that's likely me giving Moffat too much credit for subtlety.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sad King Billy posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Dudley Simpson but this is a hugely catchy little tune, made it seem like Summer again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0vyx6HGSD0

Hello campers!

Also this was Delia Derbyshire not Dudley. He did the music for the episode, but this piece was from stock.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cleretic posted:

In twenty years, you'll be able to judge exactly when and where somebody grew up by what role they know David Tennant for playing.

I was watching some modern day vampire hunter B-movie nonsense on Syfy a year or two ago. The vampire hunter veteran in the film had an Irish accent, so I looked him over and was like, wow, it's Generic David Tennant. They couldn't get the real one?

I found out later it was the real one.

Always remember the David Tennant rule: If you think it's David Tennant, it's David Tennant.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Chokes McGee posted:

I was watching some modern day vampire hunter B-movie nonsense on Syfy a year or two ago. The vampire hunter veteran in the film had an Irish accent, so I looked him over and was like, wow, it's Generic David Tennant. They couldn't get the real one?

I found out later it was the real one.

Always remember the David Tennant rule: If you think it's David Tennant, it's David Tennant.

You better not be dissing the Fright Night remake. :colbert:

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Hello campers!

Also this was Delia Derbyshire not Dudley. He did the music for the episode, but this piece was from stock.

Hmm it was credited to him on GBS.FM, so that is why I made the assumption.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sad King Billy posted:

Hmm it was credited to him on GBS.FM, so that is why I made the assumption.

Would GBS.FM lie???

Nah, just an easy mistake to make:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/45HwF33Dl7Y1BWW7TkK7gSb/the-fourth-dimension

quote:

Most of the music for The Macra Terror was composed by Dudley Simpson and realised by Brian Hodgson. Delia Derbyshire, who had created the distinctive sound of the Doctor Who theme music, was responsible for the realisation of the ‘Chromophone’ band that that colonists perform to. The music used to represent the hypnotising of the humans was by John Baker and had previously been used for an episode of Out of the Unknown called Time in Advance.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The trailer for volume 2 of Diary of River Song is up over at Big Finish. Sounds fun!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thanks, McGann!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you guys do not stop talking poo poo about Sixth Doctor episodes there will be consequences.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
The Cold Fusion adaptation was fantastic. End spoiler I laughed out loud when the two Doctors were talking about all the other times they had met up and dropped a reference to the time all 13 of them teamed up to save Gallifrey. I'm guessing that one wasn't in the original book.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I have already purchased a present for next year's Secret Santa :getin:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
In related news, sending to the US has gotten really expensive. :/

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

In related news, sending to the US has gotten really expensive. :/

I know right!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BSam posted:

I know right!

Usually I'm in the US at some point around this time of year so I just wait till then to send my stuff out. Not this year :(

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rhyno posted:

If you guys do not stop talking poo poo about Sixth Doctor episodes there will be consequences.

I don't know what you're talking about, I love The One Doctor, Jubilee, and Arrangements for War.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So BF announced that for 2018, the series of Tom and Leela, instead of being released at the rate of 1 a month, are going to be released as 2 boxsets. Can't help to wonder if it's just a cost cutting measure, or if someone else is going to take up the January to August slot.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Davros1 posted:

So BF announced that for 2018, the series of Tom and Leela, instead of being released at the rate of 1 a month, are going to be released as 2 boxsets. Can't help to wonder if it's just a cost cutting measure, or if someone else is going to take up the January to August slot.

Dare we hope for more Tenth Doctor Adventures?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Watching the BBC America Who marathon, and thanks to the restoration I now get that "I am your sol-dier" in Victory of the Daleks is a Power of the Daleks callback.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

It's a cost cutting measure, but for subscribers -- thanks to Brexit and such, BF has been forced to include large per-order charges on all its physical releases, meaning that subscribers for the fourth doctor range will be paying an additional £6.50 per release (in addition to any international charges). Releasing them as box sets means that physical subscribers only have to pay a baseline of £13 pounds, rather than four times that much.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Last Christmas is on telly at the mo. Best Christmas special by far.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Watching the BBC America Who marathon, and thanks to the restoration I now get that "I am your sol-dier" in Victory of the Daleks is a Power of the Daleks callback.

Which is part of what I don't like about the episode, to be honest, because it suffers a bit from the comparison. I think the Daleks are about as scary as they can get in Power, whereas Victory is intentionally downright silly (that's its strength -the "Alright, it was a jammy dodger" kind of stuff distracts from the weird Churchill worship and the candy color Daleks).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Last Christmas is on telly at the mo. Best Christmas special by far.

I found a marathon of the Who Christmas specials that's onto that now.

I really want to know where and how 'Nick Frost as Santa' turned up in the concept. It's genius, but was that where everything started and the rest grew out of justifying it, or was that the final piece of the puzzle?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hot take; all the revival Christmas specials have been terrible and this one will be no different. A Christmas Carol is the most watchable, but it's still pretty bad and the flying sharks make me want to roll my eyes clear through the back of my head.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Not part of the Secret Santa, but I am working on a Doctor Who publication with a colleague up in London. He sent me a little Crimble pres of appreciation -- copy of Marcus Aurelius's Meditiationes and the dvd of The War Machines. Dude has seriously got my number :allears:

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Big Finish is giving away Flip-Flop for free! It's probably the most "2016" Doctor Who story there is, by which I mean "the moral is that immigrants are bad and will chase you out of your community."

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

vegetables posted:

Big Finish is giving away Flip-Flop for free! It's probably the most "2016" Doctor Who story there is, by which I mean "the moral is that immigrants are bad and will chase you out of your community."

Boy, that didn't occur to me but, yeah, that's 2016 as Hell.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

vegetables posted:

And here's the link!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-flip-flop-for-free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

vegetables posted:

How soon we forget The Zygon Parabox or whatever it was called

Ms Boods posted:

Not part of the Secret Santa, but I am working on a Doctor Who publication with a colleague up in London. He sent me a little Crimble pres of appreciation -- copy of Marcus Aurelius's Meditiationes and the dvd of The War Machines. Dude has seriously got my number :allears:

:getin:

• Locked thread