Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Steve's been dead for a long time, man. It's not like the old days where if there was something a little bit off (especially aesthetically) that someone would have to answer for it and fix it. See also: Camera wobble.

Camera wobble is like "you're holding it wrong," design decisions that aren't ideal but got blown out of proportion. Having the wrong cutouts is some Android OEM recycling of parts poo poo, or honestly a bit worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Could someone explain why sometimes cat4 and cat6 are included in phone specifications? They're ethernet cable standards, right

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SinineSiil posted:

Could someone explain why sometimes cat4 and cat6 are included in phone specifications? They're ethernet cable standards, right
Can you given an example/link? Some context may be helpful.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

SinineSiil posted:

Pretty sure this is a UK thing. Cat6 and Cat4 are specific LTE standards of speed. Where normally you might just see LTE Cat6 is basically a faster LTE antenna built in than a CAT4 etc.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Tunga posted:

Can you given an example/link? Some context may be helpful.

https://www.klick.ee/htc-one-m9-1#more-info-tab
Third tab is technical specifications, they say the 4G speed is CAT6, which is total nonsense to me. They have been adding that to phone specs for about 2 months now.
Today I checked gsmarena and it looks like they include CAT standard in their phone specifications as well? What does this mean? I wasn't told anything about this wireless CAT6 in networking classes.

thebushcommander posted:

Pretty sure this is a UK thing. Cat6 and Cat4 are specific LTE standards of speed. Where normally you might just see LTE Cat6 is basically a faster LTE antenna built in than a CAT4 etc.
Weird, is this something that wasn't used until very recently?

Sininu fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 22, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I'm going to lay a chunk of the current state USB-C at Apple's feet. A proportion of engineers (over 20%) that worked on the spec were Apple employees and Apple was the first to champion the standard on their computers. They basically created the USB-C ecosystem for their own products.

And then they left it wither.

The logical conclusion was to go USB-C rather than Lightning on mobile devices, yet they've stubbornly stuck to their proprietary connector. Had they gone USB-C, they could have made spec conformance part of their accessory certification. You want to be a certified apple accessory, you have to adhere to USB-C spec.

The whole USB-C ecosystem would have benefited.

There's even signs internally that they would rather be USB-C at this point. The charge case for the Airpods clearly has a USB-C cutout with lightning guts stuck inside it to the point where it doesn't even match up with the cable properly.

Standards are bad for business when you're a company like Apple. This might sound a bit tinfoil but I wouldn't be surprised if they planned out what they did with USB-C.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RVProfootballer posted:

Camera wobble is like "you're holding it wrong," design decisions that aren't ideal but got blown out of proportion. Having the wrong cutouts is some Android OEM recycling of parts poo poo, or honestly a bit worse.

Hey now, at least it's not a 'tism-triggering volume button.

Cripes, guy could have pissed and moaned about the mono speaker or the single-piece backing glass incorporating the lens but no he had to go with the volume rocker not being a mushy lump of rubberized plastic.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Segmentation Fault posted:

Standards are bad for business when you're a company like Apple. This might sound a bit tinfoil but I wouldn't be surprised if they planned out what they did with USB-C.

Not when users have increasing dongle fatigue. Nobody wants to buy a set of 6 new $30 dongles every time apple decides they want a new connector. Especially when the hardware they need the dongles for itself is getting far more expensive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SinineSiil posted:

https://www.klick.ee/htc-one-m9-1#more-info-tab
Third tab is technical specifications, they say the 4G speed is CAT6, which is total nonsense to me. They have been adding that to phone specs for about 2 months now.
Today I checked gsmarena and it looks like they include CAT standard in their phone specifications as well? What does this mean? I wasn't told anything about this wireless CAT6 in networking classes.

Weird, is this something that wasn't used until very recently?

It's a completely different thing. Category is used to define the capabilities of an LTE network.

http://www.3gpp.org/keywords-acronyms/1612-ue-category

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
It's nice to see Google Store shipping practices haven't changed since they started selling devices on the play store. Tuesday night get notice of shipment, says delivery the following day, nothing arrives and then hours later on the day it was supposed to deliver it updates saying it shipped again, this time from a different city, but now with no estimate delivery date. Fucken sweet.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

FAUXTON posted:

Hey now, at least it's not a 'tism-triggering volume button.

Cripes, guy could have pissed and moaned about the mono speaker or the single-piece backing glass incorporating the lens but no he had to go with the volume rocker not being a mushy lump of rubberized plastic.

I bought an iPhone 7 btw. Currently living in clicky-and-solid-as-gently caress button heaven. Still hoping for the Pixel 2 to just copy those as well. I'll switch in an instant and never look back.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

AlexF posted:

I bought an iPhone 7 btw. Currently living in clicky-and-solid-as-gently caress button heaven. Still hoping for the Pixel 2 to just copy those as well. I'll switch in an instant and never look back.

I'm lovin my Pixel 1's firm, thick, clicky as hell buttons

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My mom's LG has more clicks buttons than my last four phones combined.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AlexF posted:

Oh word? How's the display quality?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I can vouch that th 6P Charger works just fine with it's included cable to charge anything else that is USB-C so far. Works on various HTC devices but everything with QC capabilities it drops to normal USB 2.0 charge speeds vs the Rapid Charge of the USB-C Spec.

I will note that the Nexus 5X charger does not appear to charge a Pixel which I am guessing is a good thing rather then zap the thing into uselessness. Going to box that up and keep the 5X/Charger separate from anything else.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

FAUXTON posted:

Oh word? How's the display quality?

Amazing. Pixel's OLED is a little better but for LCD it's perfect.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Posting from my Pixel XL with perfect clicky buttons

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Posting from my Pixel XL with perfect clicky buttons

I can't even imagine how there are units out there with mushy buttons with how God drat clicky the buttons on mine are

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sorry, I can't hear you over the clicking sounds my pixel's buttons are making.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I literally worry the clicking might disturb my partner if I need to change volume when listening while going to sleep.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Magog posted:

I literally worry the clicking might disturb my partner if I need to change volume when listening while going to sleep.

Sever.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Naw it's good...My Pixel is just SO loving CLICKY GUYS :byodood:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Christ you spergs are annoying about this poo poo. Let it go.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Is there a microusb button peripheral for my poor android phone so i can get to max clicky status. It's the only way I'll reach orgasm

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ilkhan posted:

Christ you spergs are annoying about this poo poo. Let it go.

No

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
/click click click

Seriously though, these buttons are loud as gently caress. Owns

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Maker Of Shoes posted:

/click click click

Seriously though, these buttons are loud as gently caress. Owns

:same: clicky buttons own

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I like my phone to sound like a 1990s mouse

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38404711

loving :laffo:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ahahaahha it's the gift that keeps on giving

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

You could say that flight got Samsung'd.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I genuinely find myself wishing the buttons on my Pixel were a little easier to press.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Duggler posted:

I can't even imagine how there are units out there with mushy buttons with how God drat clicky the buttons on mine are
His issue was never that the buttons don't click properly, it was somehow even more spergtacular: they move very slightly in the button holes, like probably half a mm, so you can wobble them a tiny amount. That was it.

Some people in this thread claimed that theirs doesn't do that and maybe they are right. I've seen five or six Pixels now and they all did it so I think it's fairly common. And it doesn't matter in the slightest, of course, because who sits there wobbling their volume button?

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 23, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, it seems like Apple was a case of Left and Right hand not talking to each other. If they'd been planning to gently caress it over they wouldn't have done what they did with the MacBook Pro.

If they'd gone full USB-C they'd be in a much better state right now, since they'd have been able to just ship USB-C headphones that could plug into both an iPhone and a MacBook Pro and you could charge from the computer with a simple USB-C cable and there wouldn't have been as much to make fun of.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 23, 2016

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Tunga posted:

His issue was never that the buttons don't click properly, it was somehow even more spergtacular: they move very slightly in the button holes, like probably half a mm, so you can wobble them a tiny amount. That was it.

Some people in this thread claimed that theirs doesn't do that and maybe they are right. I've seen five or six Pixels now and they all did it so I think it's fairly common. And it doesn't matter in the slightest, of course, because who sits there wobbling their volume button?

The funny thing is is my Pixel XL does wobble a bit, but I love the tactile feel of the buttons. My Ipad Air doesn't do that, but the buttons are kinda mushy and don't really feel as pleasing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

And it doesn't matter in the slightest, of course, because who sits there wobbling their volume button?

It was that they wobbled not by touch, but when he was not touching them. They wobbled when he tapped the screen and it was unacceptable. The kind of thing that if you told it to someone you'd sound serial-killer insane.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Nah, it seems like Apple was a case of Left and Right hand not talking to each other. If they'd been planning to gently caress it over they wouldn't have done what they did with the MacBook Pro.

If they'd gone full USB-C they'd be in a much better state right now, since they'd have been able to just ship USB-C headphones that could plug into both an iPhone and a MacBook Pro and you could charge from the computer with a simple USB-C cable and there wouldn't have been as much to make fun of.

The real problem with the new headphones is that they're abandoning an established ecosystem that's been around since the 1950s for a new ecosystem that consists of one device and one pair of headphones. Expanding that ecosystem to two devices wouldn't be much better. Really apart from space concerns there's no reason to abandon the 3.5mm jack.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The real problem with the new headphones is that they're abandoning an established ecosystem that's been around since the 1950s for a new ecosystem that consists of one device and one pair of headphones. Expanding that ecosystem to two devices wouldn't be much better. Really apart from space concerns there's no reason to abandon the 3.5mm jack.
USB-C is not "two devices". It's every computer and every phone going forwards. Not right now but in a couple of years it'll be present on all new computers and eventually it'll replace all the old USB connectors entirely.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tunga posted:

USB-C is not "two devices". It's every computer and every phone going forwards. Not right now but in a couple of years it'll be present on all new computers and eventually it'll replace all the old USB connectors entirely.

He's talking about Lightning, though even that's not accurate as every Lightning iOS device can use Lightning headphones.

Alternatively he's talking about Airpods, but, again, anything with Bluetooth can use those. Some just use them a bit better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

USB-C is still a decent chunk larger than microUSB so I don't know that we'll ever be fully rid of that connector on new devices. There's a lot of really small things that charge via MicroUSB and the new connector may be a bit too large.