Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah because none of that poo poo happened since the New 52 unless a writer specifically references it. Or it did, but it was stolen by Dr. Manhattan, depending on what Geoff Johns believes on any given day.

Batman was pretty good this week. I like Punch and Jewelee quite a bit, I hope they stick around. Looking forward to Bane wrecking Gotham in a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

purple death ray posted:

Yeah because none of that poo poo happened since the New 52 unless a writer specifically references it. Or it did, but it was stolen by Dr. Manhattan, depending on what Geoff Johns believes on any given day.

Batman was pretty good this week. I like Punch and Jewelee quite a bit, I hope they stick around. Looking forward to Bane wrecking Gotham in a few months.

Ironic, given Rebirth is all about going back to the pre N52 versions.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is kind of amazing how writers are still struggling to write a good Bane when it was perfectly defined on his first mayor appearance after Knightfall
What, did he run against the Penguin? :v:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Ironic, given Rebirth is all about going back to the pre N52 versions.

No I'm pretty sure it's about incorporating pre-N52 elements into the current iteration of the DC universe, ie. Wally coming back, Oliver and Dinah getting together, pre-N52 Clark and Lois, etc.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

pubic works project posted:

No I'm pretty sure it's about incorporating pre-N52 elements into the current iteration of the DC universe, ie. Wally coming back, Oliver and Dinah getting together, pre-N52 Clark and Lois, etc.

The point still stands, there's nothing stopping King from introducing a clean Bane.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The character I wish he was interested in retaining development from is a little Mob Boss Catwoman. Maybe that inbetween run of hers that I didn't read totally wiped that aspect already.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The point still stands, there's nothing stopping King from introducing a clean Bane.

Well that's not the story he's writing. There's nothing stopping him from introducing an addicted Bane either. You're allowed to not like a story but man you come off like DC should be writing comics just for your tastes sometimes.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

purple death ray posted:

Well that's not the story he's writing. There's nothing stopping him from introducing an addicted Bane either. You're allowed to not like a story but man you come off like DC should be writing comics just for your tastes sometimes.

Not different than all the people who didn't like the N52 I guess :shrug:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Once an addict, always an addict. Who's to say that he wasn't slipped some Venom somewhere in the past behind the scenes and now he's addicted all over again?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

pubic works project posted:

Once an addict, always an addict. Who's to say that he wasn't slipped some Venom somewhere in the past behind the scenes and now he's addicted all over again?

Show it then

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Why do they have to? It's a logical possibility. King can tell the story however he and DC wants. That's why he's the author. Just because it doesn't meet your specific brand of expectations doesn't mean it's a terrible story. That's just your opinion. I quite enjoyed this story-arc and the future possibilities. Just like I hate Red Hood and you get your dick hard off it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Also I have to point out again that the story isn't over. You don't know what Bane's situation is going to be once all this is settled. Just like the people assuming Catwoman is actually a mass murderer are probably jumping the gun a little bit.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Not different than all the people who didn't like the N52 I guess :shrug:

And you could drop the books you don't enjoy just like those people.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
You know DT shtick is to cry "not my [character]" with any comic that isn't Red Hood right? Like all comics not titled Red Hood suck.

Anyway I though Batman this week was pretty solid and I liked how Ventriloquist was used. Also Punch and Jewlee are a much better couple than about 90% of all DC couples.
Looks like next issue we find out the thing about Catwoman.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

How Ventriloquist counters Psycho-Pirate is simultaneously the dumbest and best way that could have ended.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Roth posted:

How Ventriloquist counters Psycho-Pirate is simultaneously the dumbest and best way that could have ended.

Lemme guess: Pirate's powers don't work on Scarface?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

More like they don't work on the Ventriloquist because he only listens to Scarface

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

Technically he only tried to use it on the Ventriloquist, not Scarface. :v:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I'm glad punch and jewelee are back and are good characters still. They were underused characters in the old dcu.

The OG ventriloquist being back is good too. It made no sense that a new ventriloquist with scarface popped up after Albert died.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm glad punch and jewelee are back and are good characters still. They were underused characters in the old dcu.

The OG ventriloquist being back is good too. It made no sense that a new ventriloquist with scarface popped up after Albert died.

If I remember right (if we're talking about the new Ventriloquist who first showed up pre-N52,) didn't she kill him? That makes at least a little bit of sense.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Obviously they came first, but Punch and Jewelee are a little too close to a platonic Harley/Joker thing to seem too interesting now :shrug:

Ventriloquist was really the only one that had a great, character specific use in the story.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 22, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

Obviously they came first, but Punch and Jewlee are a little too close to a Harley/Joker thing to seem too interesting now :shrug:

Their equal partners in a healthy (for a pair of criminals) relationship. Which is what I keep saying Harley/Joker should be, drat it! :argh:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Chaos Hippy posted:

If I remember right (if we're talking about the new Ventriloquist who first showed up pre-N52,) didn't she kill him? That makes at least a little bit of sense.

He was killed by the second Tally Man. A hitman who used Two-Face's gun to kill KGBeast, Ventriloquist, Orca, and Magpie for the Great White Shark who was making a play on the Penguin's territory.

Punch and Jewelee also have a small child that they love and care for when not robbing banks! Unless the child was retconned away.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There was more than one Tally Man?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I still don't know why Zsasz wasn't called Tally Man. Like you've got a dude who cuts tallies into himself for doing murders and also a different guy named Tally Man. They should have maybe had a conference call and touched base about these guys is all I'm saying.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wasn't Tally Man some literary reference? I vaguely remember him from Knightsquest.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tally Man's whole thing was being obsessed with the checks and balances of life, because debts destroyed his family or something. Thus he was a hit man, but for crazy reasons instead of greed. The fact that tally man means debt collector kinda makes any connection to Mr. Zszszsz not really work.

He's such a nothing rogue that he probably rates below Film Freak, so it's really weird that apparently he died and someone was like "We need to try again with this character"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Did anyone ever goad Tally Man by singing Day-O at him?

If not, why not?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Mr Hootington posted:

He was killed by the second Tally Man. A hitman who used Two-Face's gun to kill KGBeast, Ventriloquist, Orca, and Magpie for the Great White Shark who was making a play on the Penguin's territory.

Punch and Jewelee also have a small child that they love and care for when not robbing banks! Unless the child was retconned away.

Riiight. Forgot about that. That story was a surprisingly long time ago.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Interesting how much more intimidating I find Amanda Waller now that she's back to her old bodyweight instead of looking like a Supermodel. I think I should feel bad, because it's probably sexist, but I'm just happy "The Wall" is back.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's not sexist to find physically imposing people physically imposing. I'd have a hard time getting frightened of the One Direction kids.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Yeah, She's supposed to be "The Wall", stone personality, imposing, unafraid. I mean that's part of the reason that Damian Wayne can never be intimidating. He looks adorable and hilarious.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Part of the reason I don't like Damian is his ridicuously on the nose name. I know his mother is the type, but geez, was Voorhees Darkblood taken already?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

WickedHate posted:

Part of the reason I don't like Damian is his ridicuously on the nose name. I know his mother is the type, but geez, was Voorhees Darkblood taken already?

Damian is a perfectly normal name

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So is Mario and Luigi, but if the two Italian characters in your story are named that, it's kind of dumb. Naming a homicidal kid character Damian is dumb.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's definitely on the nose when introducing an evil little boy (especially as an Al Ghul kid since they're always referred to as demons)
but I can picture Morrison doing a little Scottish giggle at getting that through every time he writes or hears the name, so it's okay.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Am I missing something painfully obvious about his name?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Roth posted:

Am I missing something painfully obvious about his name?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Omen

e: and yeah, yeah his name is 'an', not 'en'.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's no more on the nose than Edward Nygma, Victor Fries, Harleen Quinzel, or Jonathan Crane, which is to say it's very on the nose but fits in the Batman world perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't like any of those except Jonathan Crane, either, but Damian's name is used a lot more than any of them, and that means every single time I think about the character that big first barrier to taking him seriously and investing in him as someone worth caring about is always coming up.

• Locked thread