Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
I would've been more forgiving of the ambiguity if I'd known this was going to be a 2 cour show but, as far as anyone was concerned (and the way the series was set up), ep 12 was the finale. So it wasn't us asking for them to kiss on screen at the midpoint, we were expecting it for the ending.

It'd be interesting to know at what point they learned they were getting another cour or if that was the plan from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I'm kind of curious how many fans of this show are women, and how many are men. Almost all of the people I see celebrating on twitter seem to be women

Idk. I'm a gay dude, and obviously I dont speak for all gay dudes, but stuff like that makes it hard to escape the feeling that the relationship in this show was still kind of fetishized for women, in that it was about two ~perfect cinnamon rolls~ who ~never do anything wrong~. I know a lot of people disagree with me on that one, so eh. In any case I'd like to see more queer dude stories written by queer dudes

Like YoI isnt a bad show or anything! I read that interview with johnny weir a few days ago and it's incredibly cool that he loved it. I'm glad the team put so much effort into researching figure skating

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 23, 2016

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

My twitter friends watching it are largely women, though there are a handful of guys in that group.

Interestingly, almost all of my irl friends watching are straight men.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Finally watched the finale. Agree with most people I've seen, it was good, I liked it, but it very much felt like at the last minute they realized 'oh my god we're TOTALLY getting season 2' and hastily made the ending more 'open'. On one hand, yay more skating pretty boys, on the other I think I would have been happier with a self contained story that ended more...solid. Yea probably with a nice clear kiss or something. On the other hand, with S2 that may help things out considering how much they had to cram in the last episode, may be better to do a more slow conclusion kinda thing now that everything is established?

I dunno, I liked it, but it had frustrating parts that soured it a bit and that kinda blows considering how solid it was up till the end.

youcallthatatwist posted:

I'm kind of curious how many fans of this show are women, and how many are men. Almost all of the people I see celebrating on twitter seem to be women

Idk. I'm a gay dude, and obviously I dont speak for all gay dudes, but stuff like that makes it hard to escape the feeling that the relationship in this show was still kind of fetishized for women, in that it was about two ~perfect cinnamon rolls~ who ~never do anything wrong~. I know a lot of people disagree with me on that one, so eh. In any case I'd like to see more queer dude stories written by queer dudes

Like YoI isnt a bad show or anything! I read that interview with johnny weir a few days ago and it's incredibly cool that he loved it. I'm glad the team put so much effort into researching figure skating

Also gay dude here. I think I would more call it a typical romance anime than a fetishized one. If you want fetishized gay relationships made mainly for women to obsess over allow me to gesture broadly to the entirety of yaoi. Still, I do get that that's kinda like saying 'well yea maybe this had some issues but there's a worse thing, so...ya know...'

I think it hit very typical romance anime tropes, though, and that's what saved it for me. A typical romance anime story usually focuses less on the 'bad side' of relationships and more goes around the awkwardness and personal issues that can hamper things, and I think Yuri did that pretty well. Their 'worst' moment as a couple was almost certainly the parking garage fight and that kinda worked well with it being 'ok we're both kinda terrible at this and very vulnerable in different ways but we clearly both need to work harder on our issues' kinda focused. It was both a relationship beat and a story beat, and that's kinda the style of romance stories like it. It's a bit of escapism, yea, you watch a kinda idealized relationship where the power of cuddles and kissy faces makes you a better person. I think its biggest 'win' for representation is it took a normally very heteronormative genre and made it almost entirely centered about male relationships, both romantic and platonic.

I think in doing that, in exploring the ways men can form bonds and all ranging from Yurio's adorable rivalry/friendship to full on gayballs Yuri/Victor stuff, with things like that other russian guy's hilarious ice skating meltdown about his girl leaving him and Chris owning his sexuality in a way that usually is a big 'haha queers am I right' joke in the medium. Hell it even made me love King 'ew hets please go' JJ by the end because it showed a very real vulnerability in a guy that normally wouldn't be focused on, or presented as something to be ashamed of and buried down or something.

I don't think it's the magic start of the Gay Revolution, but I do think shows like it being so popular do show a progressive movement, and I'm a-ok with it being typical romance anime sappy stuff in that lens.

e: also unrelated, but speaking of platonic male relationships please have S2 involve Yuri being Minami's mentor proper.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 23, 2016

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I loved this show, though I kinda wish they had wrapped Yuri and Victor's story up and had them become side characters if they had to do a season 2.

People in this thread have been wanting to see a kiss but I'm actually glad the show only implied it. The audience knows they kissed but they weren't shown it because a couple doesn't kiss for an audience, they kiss because they want to kiss each other. It makes them feel more like they're together because they want to be rather than because it will sell blu-rays. This doesn't apply to every story but it I think it works better here.

I am kind of worried about is how they'll handle the relationship in the second season. One of the best parts of the romance was that it was treated as completely normal and people were supportive of it, it was nice to see a gay relationship that wasn't *forbidden love*. However if they go further with it I think they'll either have to address some of that or it will become really obvious that they're avoiding it. For example if they decide to make Yuri and Victor's marriage a plot point in season 2 they'll have a problem considering gay marriage isn't a thing in either of their home countries. And they totally could have hand-waved this if they had just had the episode 12 credits be an Instagram wedding montage.

Also all my friends who were watching it are women.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you mean a love confession like buying engagement rings and saying they want to get married

they're both kind of weird dicks tho, especially victor

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Bi dude here so my opinion only half exists. The people I know who like it irl are all lesbians so :v:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Also gay dude here. I think I would more call it a typical romance anime than a fetishized one.

I agree with your assessment, the anime comes off like a sports/romance with a gay couple than a show about a gay couple for titillation. There are definitely moments of fan service but they tend to actually work with the plot than against it; we get naked bathhouse Viktor to up his allure and experience Yuuri's idol worship ourselves, Chris' love of his own butt is very in character and builds on his image of mature Eros, and I would even argue that the pole dancing is in service to the plot (as a glimpse of Yuuri's true Eros that Viktor's been trying to draw out of him).

But then, it is a show about gay men that is not written by gay men so it's understandable to question it. I think it's being written with the intention of positive representation but I always prefer to see queer media produced by the queer community (or at least heavily involving them). I think the lack of risk taking by not showing the traditional cornerstones of a media romance (a blatant confession/visible kiss) is partially because the creators don't really understand first hand just how important that kind of validation. It's not just us wanting to see two dudes kiss, it's a symbolic thing where we want to see our romantic lives not be treated like a risk but as something that's as normal and common as a straight romance.

Like imagine if Renten and Eureka (Eureka 7) or Simon and Nea (Gurren Lagann) had never kissed even once, fans would have rioted.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I'm as straight as a dude who fell in love with JJ can be, so I don't know how much my opinion counts, but to me it just seemed like a really sweet love story. There was fanservice here and there but I kind of tune out whenever anime does that so I don't really know how much of the show was pandering to a certain demographic but...well, I can definitely say I enjoyed it enough though.

I also appreciated the anime because while the characters were clearly in love, the fact that they had the sport to focus on meant that they had more in life than each other which made them feel a lot more...I don't know, complete as people? One thing I heard a long time ago was that the best way to portray romance was to make two likable characters and then the viewer/reader would naturally want them to get together. I feel like that's totally what happened here and I really liked those two dorks.

EDIT: Oh and as far as the lack of a kiss...from my purely cynical viewpoint, I'd almost wager that it didn't happen because they want to keep people going for season 2. Conspiracy theorist in me almost wants to believe that they were planned to kiss until they got a "wait, we can get one more season? Hold that poo poo up, don't settle anything" moment. That said, regardless of the reason, yeah it was disappointing and it sucked that they didn't kiss - hopefully next season.

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 23, 2016

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
https://twitter.com/soukatsu_/status/812255011359035392

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Your new wallpaper:

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Just want to say that Minami's expression when Yurio is about to start his FS is absolutely wonderful and adorable.

He's such a salty baby nugget and I love him

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While I think you're mostly correct (about like 95% of gay anime/manga being aimed at women), to be fair the number of women anime fans in general is probably greater than the number of gay men anime fans, and when you consider that a significant portion of the straight male audience isn't going to be interested in a show like this (unfortunately), it makes sense you'd see mostly women commenting on it.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

The_Doctor posted:

Your new wallpaper:

more like this please

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Yurio could easily kick higher than those scrubs but he's gotta be a 2kool4school piss baby about it.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

The_Doctor posted:

Your new wallpaper:

Why aren't best pals Yurio and Otabek next to each other?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i didnt like the finale
the show felt like it was on trajectory to wrap up in one cour and then we end up getting sequel hooks, theyre not sequel hooks that were completely unpredictable or anything but it seemed like they were uncertain a S2 was gonna happen until late and the last episode feels incredibly disjointed with that (which im sure is only worse with the strained production to even made)
i guess that's TV and while it's hard to complain about getting more of something i was enjoying in theory, i think it weakened the impact overall

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i loved everything about this show until the last ep, which really missed the landing entirely to the point where i don't want to recommend this show to any of my friends who i otherwise think would like it until season 2 or whatever happens and we can see where it goes.

i feel like it didn't resolve anything, but didn't do so in a satisfying way that made me want more; rather it was more of a "wait, what?" kind of vibe. it was awkward to me

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?
It's crazy how divided people seem to be on the ending. I've honestly never felt so satisfied at an ending episode in my life and the hint at more to come only made it so much better for me. I never wanted the show to be a one off series. This forum is pretty much the only place I've heard so much unhappiness about it. I really hope you guys get what you're looking for in series two (if we get one. I assumed the "see you next level" was pretty much confirmation but it'd be nice to have it officially announced.) To me, the whole series was pretty much perfect.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
Zhenya just won the Russian Nationals with a 153 in the FS and even did a 3-3-3 combo just to show off! Alina Zagitova (another Eteri student) got a higher technical score than her and ended up with 2nd.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

The best thing about YOI is that it got me back into watching figure skating. I missed it.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011

Chedranian Girl posted:

It's crazy how divided people seem to be on the ending. I've honestly never felt so satisfied at an ending episode in my life and the hint at more to come only made it so much better for me. I never wanted the show to be a one off series. This forum is pretty much the only place I've heard so much unhappiness about it. I really hope you guys get what you're looking for in series two (if we get one. I assumed the "see you next level" was pretty much confirmation but it'd be nice to have it officially announced.) To me, the whole series was pretty much perfect.

Yeah, I agree. I was very happy with the ending because of this. Hopefully season two actually happens.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

SelfOM posted:

Zhenya just won the Russian Nationals with a 153 in the FS and even did a 3-3-3 combo just to show off! Alina Zagitova (another Eteri student) got a higher technical score than her and ended up with 2nd.
Here's the video for those of you who want to watch it. You can hear the crowd react when she lands the third one.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Maera Sior posted:

Here's the video for those of you who want to watch it. You can hear the crowd react when she lands the third one.
That was awesome. :allears:

I usually don't care for tribute videos, but I loved this one . :3:

Miss Nomer fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 25, 2016

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?

Miss Nomer posted:

That was awesome. :allears:

I usually don't care for tribute videos, but I loved this one . :3:

Aw, man. The ending of that especially was beautiful. What a wonderful show. I think I'm already due a rewatch.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Source:
https://fishthatlikestuff.tumblr.com/post/154914691470/i-deserve-to-be-kicked-out-of-fandom-not-only-for

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lol yuuri is a total power bottom

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

I wonder how much this happened in practice.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

cut the middle man and just make a slice of life show set in Nichome imo

this

also all LGBT media should aspire to be Funeral Parade of Roses

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I still think it's the anime of the decade

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
It is a very good show and I am not letting my feelings about the ending ruin that. (If nothing else they still did the Stamni Vicino thing at the end so.)
(Also Phichit on Ice.)

And I want to say that I really appreciate all of you who have been talking about real figure skating stuff ITT. It has been really cool and interesting :)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Can season 2 just be about Yurio with Yuri and Viktor as his gay dads that he hates but also admires and hates them more because he admires them?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Harrow posted:

Can season 2 just be about Yurio with Yuri and Viktor as his gay dads that he hates but also admires and hates them more because he admires them?

As long as Phichit lives with them too. As much as this is an ice skating show, I could sometimes use a little less ice skating sometimes, you know? You're having to fit character relationships around the skating sequences and it feels like too little.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

No way man, the whole point of the ice-skating is that they express their feelings about each other through it.

Now that the season is over, I want to see more reactions from skaters on Twitter and stuff.

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 26, 2016

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

More links!

Info on exhibition skating programs
Don't worry, Yuri will still be able to get katsudon in St. Peteresburg
One of several katsudon pirozhki recipes I've seen floating around

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah I really don't want a season without Viktor and Yuri skating. there's room for reworking their formula of showing all the routines that I would prefer to just having people not skate at all.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I really want to try these katsudon pirozhkis but it sounds really difficult.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/813544750523568128

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The skating owns and they should keep it but make it better. I want the blades to reflect other objects

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh I'm not saying do away with the skating, I love that! Just work out a decent balance with the off the ice stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Maybe they could do a 2-cour run for the second season and have plenty of room for both!

• Locked thread