Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

You're not allowed to take the quest if you don;t own the dlc. This is why people talk/complain about key quests on dlc levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah that's the most important part. I'm so used to that being default for me that I lost the plot there, forgetting not everyone is aware of that.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Oh that's pretty rude yeah.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The addition of the quest board was a net gain for everyone. You can also experience 100% of the DLC content without paying for it, including the weapons, which you can take anywhere once you get them.

The game's DLC model is extremely goddamn generous. I'd update the game to ensure no more than X contracts a day and no more than 1 key contract a day is in a DLC level to deal with the fact that the proportion of DLC levels will probably continue to increase, but otherwise it's completely fine as-is

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

DLC shouldn't remove content from the rest of the game. That shouldn't even be controversial. If Payday 2 took the CAR-4 and moved it behind the paywall of the AK/CAR Mod Pack DLC, there would have been riots.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If Payday 2 took the CAR-4 and moved it behind the paywall of the AK/CAR Mod Pack DLC, there would have been riots.

That's not a great example for two reasons:
1) Nothing even slightly analogous to that has happened here. This is like the safehouse dailies sometimes requiring you to own DLC maps.
2) Whenever ANYTHING happens in Payday 2, there are riots.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

IAmUnaware posted:

That's not a great example for two reasons:
1) Nothing even slightly analogous to that has happened here. This is like the safehouse dailies sometimes requiring you to own DLC maps.
2) Whenever ANYTHING happens in Payday 2, there are riots.

That second one is kind of my point though. Payday's player base will riot at the drop of a hat. Fatshark is coming back around after the completion of our transaction and removing poo poo from the base game and people defend it.

Also you can still complete those dailies in Payday and it's much easier to find games on those levels because you don't have to personally know somebody hosting the heist to run it. Here I have to know someone running the DLC and even then I can't take the contract for it.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 22, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How does the rewards board choose each contact anyways? Is is hand picked by the devs or run through a randomizer? If it's the randomizer I wonder if the dlc contracts cming up is just a result of fatshark big fatshark and not accounting for something that should be am easy fix.

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

removing poo poo from the base game

But Quests and Contracts was a free DLC extra feature released about a year after the base game and from its earliest beta implementation never allowed you to take contracts from dlc levels you did not own?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wait what content has fatshark removed from the base game? Tf are you on about

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah it sucks getting keys slower. But you know what sucked more?

When I had to run enemy below 5 books eight times a day up hill both ways in the snow to get my first orange. And I was grateful for it! It took two weeks to roll master crafted on that gun too.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
They're outright locking quests on the board if you don't own the DLC? That's some bullshit.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am looking forward to the introduction of safes and drills chests and keys as rewards.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Some days, opening your game up to pubbies is the gift that keeps on giving.

I did a quick Horn of Magnus to fulfill one of my quests, and I set it to Easy because I am lazy and I just wanted to get it over with. The game filled up with pubbies pretty quickly - two level 0s and a level 1. We get to the finale, and in the middle of it we have the following exchange in the chat window:

PUBBIE 1: "So do we fight Skaven on every level?"
ME: "The entire game is Skaven."
PUBBIE 1: "Ugh. I wish I had known that"
PUBBIE 2: "Dude, the name of the game is Vermintide. Are you retarded?"

Later on in the inn Pubbie 1 declared that he was glad the level was over so he could "uninstall this garbage". :psyboom:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Death On Toast posted:

But Quests and Contracts was a free DLC extra feature released about a year after the base game and from its earliest beta implementation never allowed you to take contracts from dlc levels you did not own?

It's a part of the game everyone gets. It's as "base game" as it gets unless you want to do a bunch of gymnastics to say "okay you bought this part that everyone gets for free but not that part that everyone gets for free."

If I buy a cow from Mr. Fatshark, and he's like "oh hey, you could buy this milking machine to get more milk out of Bessie here," and I say "no thanks, Mr. Fatshark," that's the end of our transaction. If he comes along the following day to take some of my milk because I didn't buy the milk machine, there is a problem.

Lunethex posted:

They're outright locking quests on the board if you don't own the DLC? That's some bullshit.

Right? It's seriously not that hard to see what's wrong here.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

It's a really dumb situation yeah. I get that you have the board which is FreeLC for everyone, do daily quests, keep playing our game, but now we're clogging up the very short amount you get to do with quests that are locked because you don't own this or that DLC, but you can still play the DLC with people anyway.

They need to expand that board now then if they want to keep it that way by having more available overall. by tuning it for people who own this or that DLC but since everyone gets the same thing that probably won't happen.

Weird move on their part :shrug:

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 23, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I'm not surprised, it's the only reason I would get the dlcs. And I'm not too galled by it, I'm still not buying dracs.
I would have gotten kavak but Digi is a Cool Guytm

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Is there a definitive trait setup anybody would agree on for Kruber's repeating handgun? It's an overall good weapon and benefits from a lot. The one I feel most mandatory is Extra Capacity but the rest are up in the air. Rupture is good for piercing a Stormvermin, which you can't do without. Hail of Doom because why not. Targeteer feels unnecessary on this thing. More ammo is good, Scavenger would be good on Nightmare because it kills Clans in 1 shot and hits 3 targets naturally.

Tough call imo. Extra Capacity, Hail of Doom, Skull Cracker seem the prime choice but...

edit: It's probably best to keep a bunch on hand and figure out good combinations to use with each of Kruber's melee arsenal. For example going with shields and using the above mentioned trait setup gives you plenty of killing power against specials because you've already got the trash-basher.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 23, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Targeteer used to be really goddamn necessary but now it's way more accurate and controls its recoil better, so it's now sort of a waste of a slot.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh no you have to wait an extra day to complete a quest when you can still play the new content completely free.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
So I'm thinking of picking this up during the Winter Sale. If I were to get it alone, no dlc, would it still be worth it? I really just want to Shoot/Stab/Slash/Smash a buttload of badmans and be awesome.

I know that one of the big draws is the deep melee system, but if I'm not super awesome great at games anymore can I still be kinda cool at least?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crono S. Magnum posted:

So I'm thinking of picking this up during the Winter Sale. If I were to get it alone, no dlc, would it still be worth it? I really just want to Shoot/Stab/Slash/Smash a buttload of badmans and be awesome.

I know that one of the big draws is the deep melee system, but if I'm not super awesome great at games anymore can I still be kinda cool at least?

Yes, it's totally worth it with no DLC.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Some weapons are finesse based, but just by keeping your head you can be a good shieldpuncher.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
How about giant two handed weapons? Are they worth it or are they a newbie trap?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Two handed weapons can be a newbie trap, I'll bite that one. They're slow and cumbersome as any 2-handed weapon could realistically be expected. There's a real demand for conservative play in them and they fall off at Cataclysm. What they can do is easily done by other options anyway like Shield weapons, so steer clear of them until you get a handle on the gameplay.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Two handed weapons are great. You just need to learn to keep pushing and dodging in order to clear yourself enough space to swing them.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's a part of the game everyone gets. It's as "base game" as it gets unless you want to do a bunch of gymnastics to say "okay you bought this part that everyone gets for free but not that part that everyone gets for free."

If I buy a cow from Mr. Fatshark, and he's like "oh hey, you could buy this milking machine to get more milk out of Bessie here," and I say "no thanks, Mr. Fatshark," that's the end of our transaction. If he comes along the following day to take some of my milk because I didn't buy the milk machine, there is a problem.

Except that for most people, the quests and contracts DLC was not even a consideration when purchasing the game. It was free content added later.

But really, there's no need to even argue this. People whining about DLC contracts should just buy the DLC. The content is worth it, and if you can't afford a $9 purchase every, what, 6 months? 3 months? However frequently Fatshark releases new content? then you might have bigger problems than occasionally being unable to do key contracts.

Honestly, Fatshark is bizarrely generous with their DLC policy. They don't dare split their playerbase so if the host owns the content everyone can play it. That's nuts.

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 23, 2016

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Lunethex posted:

Two handed weapons can be a newbie trap, I'll bite that one. They're slow and cumbersome as any 2-handed weapon could realistically be expected. There's a real demand for conservative play in them and they fall off at Cataclysm. What they can do is easily done by other options anyway like Shield weapons, so steer clear of them until you get a handle on the gameplay.

I suppose that's fair then. I won't get my hopes up to be a giant hammer dwarf.

Thanks for answering my questions, guys. It's been helpful.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

So if you think those contracts are "taking away your content," why do you think the better solution is to take content away from the people who continue supporting the game?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Crono S. Magnum posted:

No. Live your dream. Two-handed weapons are totally viable. They may fall off a bit at Cataclysm difficulty, but you won't be playing that much and by the time you get good enough to run it successfully, you'll probably have a plethora of weapons to choose from. The loot system is very generous compare to release. Take advantage of the quest board.

If you want to really learn the game and get decent loot, play on Hard and Nightmare. Their loot tables got changed to be more favorable and you'll quickly get blue gear and even oranges. Hard's really not that bad and Nightmare is pretty much the standard once you've got some experience. It's all about avoiding damage. Easy is for rushing through daily key quests and Normal is a good way to get greens, I guess. Run them to get a hang of the maps a bit and then move up when you're comfortable.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I'm pretty sure the loot tables got undone in this patch because I've been seeing greens on Nightmare ends.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lunethex posted:

I'm pretty sure the loot tables got undone in this patch because I've been seeing greens on Nightmare ends.

You occasionally see a single green at 0 successes.

Otherwise it's all blue and orange.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What content were you able to experience on release that you can no longer experience? What exactly has been "taken" from you?

Lunethex posted:

Is there a definitive trait setup anybody would agree on for Kruber's repeating handgun? It's an overall good weapon and benefits from a lot. The one I feel most mandatory is Extra Capacity but the rest are up in the air. Rupture is good for piercing a Stormvermin, which you can't do without. Hail of Doom because why not. Targeteer feels unnecessary on this thing. More ammo is good, Scavenger would be good on Nightmare because it kills Clans in 1 shot and hits 3 targets naturally.

Tough call imo. Extra Capacity, Hail of Doom, Skull Cracker seem the prime choice but...

edit: It's probably best to keep a bunch on hand and figure out good combinations to use with each of Kruber's melee arsenal. For example going with shields and using the above mentioned trait setup gives you plenty of killing power against specials because you've already got the trash-basher.

Extra capacity is not needed at all. I get more mileage out of ammunition holder. Extra capacity probably has some extra utility now that the alt fire is really good, but my mainstay of targeteer/bloodlust/ammunition holder has served me well ever since I got an ursula from praying at the shrine a long time ago. The only trait I feel willing to compromise on is targeteer because fatshark buffed the accuracy on it, but even that is giving up a lot.

Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Thrice, not twice, nay not four times either.
Grimey Drawer

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Thanks for answering my questions, guys. It's been helpful.

An important thing to remember:

Vermintide is a team game. You can be a super player level 500 with all red weapons but if you play rambo, running off ahead or ignoring where your team are, you'll still die. Always look around, always check on the guy running behind you and if you're last in the queue do your best to keep up.

A good team (imo) is one where the player checks on the guy behind him constantly, and doesn't stray too far ahead. So sick of teams where (and I usually end up being the slowest of everyone) the other three are tiny specks in the distance and I am fighting rats miles behind without them even knowing. It's easy to be swamped by rats or cause an ambush even on ground that's been cleared earlier.

AND check chests for loot. Slow and steady is better for good gameplay.

Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Thrice, not twice, nay not four times either.
Grimey Drawer
Also, how does increasing your luck help? Does it help with die rolls or pickups or something? There's a trinket that increases your luck by 50% on the quest board. Is it worth it?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Rap Three Times posted:

Also, how does increasing your luck help? Does it help with die rolls or pickups or something? There's a trinket that increases your luck by 50% on the quest board. Is it worth it?

IIRC you should have a 91% luck trinket in your inventory. From what I've gathered luck is 'situational' to 'bad' and shouldn't really go out of your way for it anyways, so it's probably worth a pass.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also the two handed hammer was widely regarded as one of the better weapons in the game. It's still really good, even with other stuff buffed to meet it, on account of being able to stagger infinite rats that it touches during a heavy swing, though it'll only kill a few. If you get into the proper rhythm with it you'll do great. Plus the light attack is good for braining the harder targets.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Plus the meaty thunk of the thing just bouncing off a single unlucky rat's head is just super satisfying in general.

Don't look at me like that.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Oh yeah the most important new advice is that the game spawns rats behind you. If you're moving always check behind you because the rats move faster than you and will nip your butt all through the level. The game plays a sound when a rat is winding up an attack behind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pierson posted:

Plus the meaty thunk of the thing just bouncing off a single unlucky rat's head is just super satisfying in general.

Don't look at me like that.

Half the reason to use the 1h mace is that the heavy attack explodes rat heads like a tomato.

The other half is that the weapon is fantastic in every way and never at a loss.

• Locked thread