Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Y-Wings fit more in with Beaufighters than with Lancasters though. They're more of an assault fighter / light bomber than a dedicated bombing platform like the Lancaster was.

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Drone posted:

Y-Wings fit more in with Beaufighters than with Lancasters though. They're more of an assault fighter / light bomber than a dedicated bombing platform like the Lancaster was.

Y-Wings are Fairey Battles

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Drone posted:

Trench run = Dambusters, so there's gotta be a Lancaster in there somewhere

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Weren't the TIEs German fighters since the Trench Run is basically a remake of Dam Busters? I guess TIEs are also Stukas because of the sirens.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NightGyr posted:

Trench run = Dambusters, so there's gotta be a Lancaster in there somewhere

Light attack bombers trying to navigate a trench, evade anti-aircraft fire and hit a tiny target to disable a superweapon? Seems familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A04o_kVonQ

SW trench run was pretty much copied verbatim from 633 Squadron.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
For all of your considerations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NMfBKrdErY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q47GIgmQWo

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Night10194 posted:

I thought the X-Wings were always supposed to be Corsairs.

I accept this correction!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Honestly Star Wars is made up of so many inspirations and nods (the first movie, I mean) that it's less a copy and more a celebration of what an insane cinephile with proper oversight can achieve.

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
Not to mention that Abrams really ripped of from Rieffenstahl when it comes to the First Order.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We lose a sub – this has thankfully been a rare occurrence.

What a dull day.

Somehow this sub is still alive – inaccurate reports!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Davin Valkri, count your lucky stars!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Davin Valkri, count your lucky stars!

Aaaaah! How far is it from friendly port?! It needs to survive to sink a carrier!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Davin Valkri posted:

Aaaaah! How far is it from friendly port?! It needs to survive to sink a carrier!

Like... really loving far from Milne Bay so, uh... good luck!

Put it this way, if it could only travel 1 hex per day, it would take 23 days to get to Milne Bay.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I was sweating bullets waiting for the pictures to load. "WHICH SUB?"

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Davin Valkri posted:

Isn't the Yorktown already sunk?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Kodos666 posted:

Not to mention that Abrams really ripped of from Rieffenstahl when it comes to the First Order.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Rate Chinese planes. No I'm not worried about nothing happening today, why do you ask?

There goes a months worth of Chinese replacements.

Allied bombers bring the pain.

So much pain.

Anyone who said I'm wasting time in Chunking can take the fact that all the Chinese reserves are being bottled up there.
Tomorrow I shall throw more lives at the combat simulation in Hankow.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Are you getting any points for the Allied attacks in Chungking?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

kelvron posted:

Are you getting any points for the Allied attacks in Chungking?

Kill points, yeah.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
32 points of dead pixels.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Having never played, can anyone tell me if Grey's 6000 plus political points are a little or a lot? What should be done with them at the point?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

How many points does it take to free up the Tokyo Bay Fortress? He may be saving up for that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I've tweaked my fighter basing up here. We get a kill on day one.

Blood for the blood gods. Or readers as I like to call them.

I'm also pushing west with two divisions here.

China is not a nice place at the moment, but these things must happen. The Emperor demands it.

This is today's big news. A three hundred point jump in ship sunk points shows this is true. I have finally achieved the dream.

Xmas has come early!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, it took it this long to sink after all that?

E: Wait, didn't look at the date.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 23, 2016

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

This is today's big news. A three hundred point jump in ship sunk points shows this is true. I have finally achieved the dream.

Xmas has come early!

Well, you need to look out for shivs.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
All this time and it finally happened

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pershing posted:

Having never played, can anyone tell me if Grey's 6000 plus political points are a little or a lot? What should be done with them at the point?

A division is like 1500 points.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Still at negative supply in china. The big advantage the Japanese have is supply, which is why taking China at all is reasonable in the game engine. Without adequate supply I don't see it happening.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Enterprise went down on my birthday :allears:

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012
It's a Christmas miracle!

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So if these events actually happened; would fleet losses of this magnitude swing public opinion enough that it would let the Japanese sue for peace?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Chuu posted:

So if these events actually happened; would fleet losses of this magnitude swing public opinion enough that it would let the Japanese sue for peace?

"They kicked our asses pretty bad, and what do we care about the Co-Prosperity Sphere anyway? Let 'em have it."

versus

"They kicked our asses pretty bad, now it's PAYBACK TIME :argh:"

Which one do you see America (gently caress yea) going for?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This would be bad, but not huge compared to the obscene losses in some of the ground war. The replacements are coming online soon, it's not like the us is in danger of running out of fleet. poo poo is troubling, but not nation threateningly dangerous. The war is there to be pursued.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mikl posted:

"They kicked our asses pretty bad, and what do we care about the Co-Prosperity Sphere anyway? Let 'em have it."

versus

"They kicked our asses pretty bad, now it's PAYBACK TIME :argh:"

Just means Henry Kaiser is buying another mansion.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

RZApublican posted:

The Enterprise went down on my birthday :allears:

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

My view of World War II is so colored by the way it's taught in the US and the fact we won that I can't really answer. There is a lot of America (gently caress yeah) in the way it's taught; but I can't help but think that some parts of America were just tired of War after the meat grinder that was the eastern campaign. Vietnam definitely shows there is an upper limit.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We're only in the midwar reassertion of strength stage, not the later war grinding their bones to dust under the heel of your mangled foot bitterness.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I don't think recent events lead to the US peacing out, but the Battle of Milne Bay would probably be a huge blow to the carrier advocates in the USN, as well as a political upset back home.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It has been just over a year since Pearl, so blood would still be running hot enough that this loss could be shaken off as far as the public is concerned. Now if the AI continues throwing away ships you could probably make a case by late '43 to mid '44 that at some point the public would start getting annoyed at just how many lives were being lost for seemingly no gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So what American CVs are still out here? Just Hornet?