Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I like how downloading the zip that had a jpg in it saying the download would be available on Dec 22, then downloading the zip containing a PDF saying the download was delayed and would be available tomorrow has reduced my 3 download count to 1. Now I will be worried that I will try to download it a 3rd time and get another file saying it isn't available and have used all my downloads on being told "later."

NME says a new album and tour in 2017. If this is the direction he goes with the new album I'm pretty hyped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

Did anyone else not get download links for the majority of their order? I got the new album, but not Broken, Fragile, or the PDF apology for Deviations.

Yeah I am seeing the 2017 Definitive editions of The Fragile and Downward Spiral pop up on certain sites, but my download link only has the new EP. :/

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Maybe I'm the only one that thought Hesitation Marks was fantastic? I like this new stuff, but not as much.

EDIT: It's certainly a branch-out, and pretty creative, though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
By the way, is there any word when the Patriot's Day OST will be released? It has to be soon, right?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

pwnyXpress posted:

Maybe I'm the only one that thought Hesitation Marks was fantastic? I like this new stuff, but not as much.

EDIT: It's certainly a branch-out, and pretty creative, though.

I thought HM was very solid.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

This new album is fantastic. I loved Hesitation Marks, but I've also missed the more distorted/buried vocal approach he's moved away from since The Fragile. This is a nice return to that form. Yet it's also really unlike anything he's ever done. The Idea of You is one of the most awesomely chaotic songs he's made since March of the Pigs.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Some of it reminds me of A Place to Bury Strangers.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 27, 2018

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

glam rock hamhock posted:

By the way, is there any word when the Patriot's Day OST will be released? It has to be soon, right?
There's a promotional "for your consideration" version that went out to the Golden Globes people and is now floating around. Retail release should be announced soon, though; the movie comes out in like 2 or 3 weeks I think.

DrVomact
Dec 29, 2008

BANME.sh posted:

Yeah I am seeing the 2017 Definitive editions of The Fragile and Downward Spiral pop up on certain sites, but my download link only has the new EP. :/

Snap - doesn't appear in my download link and while I can see that I've paid for it in my orders can't see anyplace to download it.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Asnorban posted:

I like how downloading the zip that had a jpg in it saying the download would be available on Dec 22, then downloading the zip containing a PDF saying the download was delayed and would be available tomorrow has reduced my 3 download count to 1. Now I will be worried that I will try to download it a 3rd time and get another file saying it isn't available and have used all my downloads on being told "later."

It looks like the download limits have been removed

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I have no idea how to buy the digital EP on mobile this site is hard to navigate. Is there a direct link to purchase it for download?

figured it out! This definitely sounds like a departure from HM though.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 22, 2016

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
If I get the mp3, can I go back and get FLAC or wav?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Dr Tran posted:

If I get the mp3, can I go back and get FLAC or wav?

Just get the FLAC and convert it to MP3.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening now and this is seriously gonna take some time to digest. It really feels like they went back in time with this one, almost to the Fragile-era, and it feels like they haven't missed a beat in doing so either :stare:

God drat, I can't wait to hear what their next album has in store if this is any indication of how it'll sound.

e: The Idea Of You, holy loving god

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
broke down and bought a vinyl, couldn't wait for a stream tonight.

On the second track right now and this ep is going off. So loving dope

E: wow this ep loving shreds

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 22, 2016

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

This EP is everything I could have wanted from new NIN and more. Echoing the sentiment that it sounds very Fragile-era in a lot of ways, but it still manages to be very fresh. The beginning of The Idea of You really caught me off guard, but it's a great track.

I don't think anything will ever be as surprising as the loving saxaphone on Black Noise.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Caseman posted:

This EP is everything I could have wanted from new NIN and more. Echoing the sentiment that it sounds very Fragile-era in a lot of ways, but it still manages to be very fresh. The beginning of The Idea of You really caught me off guard, but it's a great track.

I don't think anything will ever be as surprising as the loving saxaphone on Black Noise.

The sax on black noise ruled so hard

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Getting to see Black Noise live was so loving unreal and bone-chilling.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Getting to see Black Noise live was so loving unreal and bone-chilling.

Yes, absofuckinglutely.

Speaking of, holy poo poo the songs on this album would be amazing live. She's Gone Away is such a magnificent wall of sound.
New tour please.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
http://www.spin.com/featured/qa-trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-talk-patriots-day-before-the-flood-escaping-musical-despair-and-depravity/

TR sheds some light on the score for Patriot's Day, working on that movie and stuff. Honestly I was a bit wary but it sounds kinda cool. At least the OST sounds cool.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wait, is there another Fragile project coming out next year? The 'Definitive Edition' sounds different than Deviations which doesn't have 37 tracks.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Wait, is there another Fragile project coming out next year? The 'Definitive Edition' sounds different than Deviations which doesn't have 37 tracks.

That's just the remastered album.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Leon Einstein posted:

That's just the remastered album.

That DEFINITELY doesn't have 37 tracks. Maybe the interviewer is just conflating Deviations+the regular reissue though. That's probably what it is actually.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 23, 2016

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Finally got to sit down and listen to the album all the way through. I liked it. reminded me of bits of pieces of The Downward Spiral and The Fragile but definitely its own thing.

Wouldn't be disappointed if the new album sounds like this, though it could just be that Reznor only has the one EP's worth of this sound still in him.

Gorgolflox posted:

I can't sing along if I can't hear what you're saying T-Rez

Minidust posted:

btw did anyone actually get these in MP3 format? The FLACs are basically devoid of metadata so I was wondering if anything interesting was tucked away in there.

I did! It comes with some... interestingly formatted lyrics.

Branches/Bones:
code:
still can make out pieces with the opening sewed shut yeah parts of me are slowing down and time is speeding up spiders crawling everywhere infected Japanese you can tell all your friends you’re just a tourist but you can’t understand what they’ve planned until you try to leave feels like i've been here before feels like i've been here before feels like i've been here before feels like i've been here before well i don't know anymore and i don't care anymore feels like i've been here before feels like i've been here before feels like i've been here before feels like i've been here before feels like i've been here before cold and black and infinite with nothing left to lose glassy bending flexible if you try to keep the flies away the makeup hides the bruise why are you here right now? i don't think you're supposed to be reading this her branches are the bones that break become a perfect line and no he won’t be just a man who’s Sometimes

he won't be just a man who's Sometimes

feels like i've been here before well i don't know anymore and i don't care anymore
i think i recognize
yes i have been here before yes i have been here before yes i have been here before yes i have been here before yeah i don't care anymore yeah don’t give a gently caress anymore and i don't care anymore one way or another but the way things have a way finding order almost everything of you yes i have been here before yes i guess thought i was my proven false in false in one all of you but the way actual events a way of finding mattered what i thought of finding order almost of you i guess have a way of comfort in the past events but the way like I’ve been here the past not the but the way i of myself has proven before allowing myself to almost everything i thought events but the way sense of comfort in what i thought i have a way of actual events but the mattered what i thought the actual events but the actual events but been here before allowing of myself has proven  in one way guess things have a of finding order almost my definition of myself you all of you myself to feel a feel a sense of thought i was my thought mattered what i have proven false to remember them and comfort in the past and you all of way of finding order you i guess things all of you i of myself has proven of myself has proven the way i choose in one way or i guess things have order almost everything i myself to feel a not the actual events in the past not remember them and you feels like I’ve been you i guess things i thought mattered what here before allowing myself way i choose to of finding order almost of finding order almost or another   and you all of before allowing myself to allowing myself to feel way of finding order of myself has proven my definition of myself please go away from here please all of you i past not the actual like I’ve been here in one way or myself has proven false guess things have please go please please please yes i have been here before yes i have been here b 

Dear World,:
code:
yes, everyone seems to be asleep

hey look, you didn't even notice
you couldn't eventell
just when it started happ
ening maybe just as well
afterall everything is gettingunfamiliarnow
trajectory in decline
and webecome obsolete 
a frame ata time

i'm locked inside here
i have to stay
with people who aren't here
all the way
pictures and faces
on display
people who aren't here
all the way

“you come when i call you”

IT is coming
       And you didn't 
   even notice
You didn't even 
      notice
       You didn't even 
notice
        You didn't even 
notice
You 
didn't even notice
      You didn't even notice
You 
didn't 
even 
notice
You didn't 
even 
        notice
          You didn't 
      even notice
You were missing 

(left channel)
dear world, i can hardly recognize 
you anymore
and yet i remain certain
thereis an answerin you
i feel like i have lived solong sometimes 
run out of things to try to do
i can't concentrate mywayout
what about..?

(right channel)
I am leaving because I can’t recognize who i have been
You go on spoiling
Hey look it's happening
without me you didn't even notice
Of course it’s been happening all along
permanent intervals As you become obsolete whoareyou?
oh this place...
i can’t concentrate
Ibegin to gothrough another of that we havebeen.  
(I have been entirely patient
but i know i can't trust myself with this again)
nono 
not this time

i'm locked inside here i have to staywith people who aren't here
all the way
pictures and faces
on display
people who aren't here
all the way

yes, everyone seems to be asleep
She's Gone Away:
code:
you dig in places til your fingers bleed
spread the infection where you spill your seed
i can't remember what she came here for
i can't remember much of anything anymore 

she's gone she's gone she's gone away

a little mouth opened up inside
yeah i was watching on the day she died
we keep licking while the skin turns black
cut along the length (but you can't get the feeling back)

she's gone she's gone she's gone away

are you still here?
The Idea of You:
code:
maybe that was somebody else
maybe i was somebody else
I am sorry (for what it’s worth) if that means anything anymore.  I think there’s something just wrong with me
i have been wondering
when did you know?  you know, really know?
no no no no no i don’t think that’s going to happen here
you missed all that on the way out
and remember 
i don’t want to remember anymore
maybe i was somebody else?
just go back to the idea of me
go back to the idea of me

none of this is happening

WAIT
WAKE
BREATHE
BELIEVE
HEY 
YOU TELL YOURSELF

oh and
If I start to tell you anything please don’t pay attention.  That’s not really me in there.  I would never do that.
just go back to the idea of me
go back to that idea 
can you even hear me over here?
can’t you feel it happening?
everything absorbing liquid twitching forming something terrible
the sores are gone 
and you can hardly tell now but
that was someone else who isn’t here anymore

none of this is happening

hey,
can you hear?
it gets so lonely in here
Burning Bright (Field on Fire):
code:
i’m going back
of course i am
as if i ever had a choice
back to what i always knew i was 
on the inside
back to what i really am
look at this pathetic place i made
with little bits of sticks and hair and anything i found along the way
and tell yourself you know
you’re not really what you know you are
you know?
of course you do
i think i may have even listened to you i think i may have even listened to you
at the height of my demise

break through the surface and breathe

i am forgiven
i am free
i am a field on fire
i am forgiven
i am free
i am a field on fire

and oh my god i have missed you
it has been so long
i am stronger than i have ever been in my decline
for now i know i know for certain
shedding any 
burn motherfucker 
carry the carcass and throw it on 
pull up a chair and watch
the flies come roaring out
and will surround the entire world
and blacken out the skies and every last one of you
like a plague of locusts
like an exit 
like an end
like the end

i am forgiven
i am free
i am a field on fire
i am forgiven
i am free
i am a field on fire

it's getting hard to know which side is the dream
i can't tell if i am dreaming anymore

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
The lyrics are pretty interesting compared to some of his other stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm working and didn't listen to the Beats stream but apparently in it they said there are 2 major NIN releases planned for 2017.

TWO.

MERRY CHRISTMAS MOTHERFUCKERS :dance:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
This is really good poo poo

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Fragile Deviations files are up, 4.9GB(!)

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
Wow! I've only been able to listen to Burning Bright on youtube, but it loving rocks through good headphones. There's so many little overdubbed guitar solos going on, and the synth line in the chorus is just perfect. Also, there seems to be a chirping cricket keeping the beat.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

TOOT BOOT posted:

The Fragile Deviations files are up, 4.9GB(!)

It's insane. I have never listened to audio quality this good. I'm not an audiophile, I just wanted the cool alternate version of The Fragile with new stuff. It's so crystal clear! Also this thing is 37 tracks so that's like, 14 more tracks than regular Fragile?

It's entirely instrumental versions. Many of the ones that aren't new are alternate takes. The new stuff I've heard so far is pretty cool, more of that particular sound I have always wanted more of. Pretty glad I geeked out and spent the 80 bucks on this poo poo at the moment.

mikul
Feb 8, 2004
How do I get the Deviations files? I've ordered the vinyl, the money's left my account and I had an email confirmation, but I can't see a download link anywhere.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this sounds like a weird mix of HTDA and With Teeth more than Fragile I think, though theres a lot of Right Disc sounding stuff on the first couple tracks.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

mikul posted:

How do I get the Deviations files? I've ordered the vinyl, the money's left my account and I had an email confirmation, but I can't see a download link anywhere.

Same here.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

my Warcraft guild posted:

this sounds like a weird mix of HTDA and With Teeth more than Fragile I think, though theres a lot of Right Disc sounding stuff on the first couple tracks.

Yeah, I was definitely getting a feel a bit more like the noisier bits of With Teeth, but those are kind of the Fragile-est bits of With Teeth so... really, if you told me this was released between the two, I'd believe it.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Fragile Deviations 1 is Halo 30 (it's at the end of the included PDF.)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is anyone else unable to open the zip file for Deviations? I've tried deleting and re-downloading; both times I get an error message saying that the zip folder is invalid and Windows can't open it. Other stuff (including Not The Actual Events) opens fine so I'm not sure what the deal is.

mikul
Feb 8, 2004

I found it. There's a small link that says 'click here to download your digital goods' after you click the view your order button on the original confirmation e-mail.

mikul
Feb 8, 2004

Minidust posted:

Is anyone else unable to open the zip file for Deviations? I've tried deleting and re-downloading; both times I get an error message saying that the zip folder is invalid and Windows can't open it. Other stuff (including Not The Actual Events) opens fine so I'm not sure what the deal is.

I've had that before and solved it by downloading Winrar and using that to open it. http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

mikul posted:

I've had that before and solved it by downloading Winrar and using that to open it. http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

I used WinRAR, it gave me a bunch of errors but it seems like everything worked, I'm listening to it now.