Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
DMC4SE is loving amazing, all new characters are really fun to play (even if a bit unbalanced, lol Vergil), and Legendary Dark Knight mode is just ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Mordja posted:

The criminally-underrated Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak has a pretty hefty discount this sale. It's a fantastic RTS and a worthy follow-up to the original Homeworld games, with the one caveat that the multiplayer scene is pretty dead. Still, the campaign alone is well worth the price, and I love the underlying gameplay mechanics so definitely check it out.

Kharak is fantastic. I found it hard to get back into Homeworld Remastered, but I absolutely loved Kharak. The big thing it has going for it is the Land Carrier or whatever it's called. It's your mobile base all in one and can be a mixture of unit spawner, economy, airfield, and mobile weapon fortress. The way missions progress feels like you're actually leading a last-ditch slog through hostile territory, and it's also maybe the third RTS game where I was genuinely interested in the story.

One game that gets passed a lot is The Dream Machine. It's a point-and-click done entirely with wood-and-clay stop motion. The puzzles are well-designed and intuitive, the concept is really cool and unique, and the mood swings really well back and forth between creepy, surreal, and funny. The developers are working on the final episode and it should be out within the next few months.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Plan Z posted:

Kharak is fantastic. I found it hard to get back into Homeworld Remastered, but I absolutely loved Kharak. The big thing it has going for it is the Land Carrier or whatever it's called. It's your mobile base all in one and can be a mixture of unit spawner, economy, airfield, and mobile weapon fortress. The way missions progress feels like you're actually leading a last-ditch slog through hostile territory, and it's also maybe the third RTS game where I was genuinely interested in the story.

The carrier is one of the most powerful weapons in your arsenal after upgrades. But at the same time it's risky to bring into battle.

Which is such great design.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

This War Of Mine: Ughhh. It's a brutal, unflinching survival game about being a civilian stuck in a Call of Duty game. There's DLC to let you donate to war orphans. $4

I loved the idea of this one and found the execution disappointing, mostly because of the balance. It's a crafting/survival game where killing and thieving is a huge accelerator for you. The game counts on you not doing this early by making attacking/stealing from armed characters very dangerous, and doing it to unarmed characters makes your people (at least the moral ones) depressed, inefficient, and prone to suicide.

This sounds fine on paper. The problem is that the former is not hard to game, and as soon as you get your hands on a decent gun (by getting the drop on a soldier), nothing is any threat any more and you can murder your way into a flood of resources. By like 60% of the way through the game, I had built everything possible and had piles of assault rifles, flak jackets, distilled water, medicine, etc., leaving me to just run out the clock with nothing to do.

This was with the moral starting characters too- it's probably even faster if you play with the amoral ones that can prey on civilians without consequence.

This was a year and a half ago, so it might have gotten better with patches and it might be better if you set an arbitrary no murder rule for yourself.

Bolivar posted:

Are players still pissed at X-com 2 or have patches solved some of the issues?

I haven't played it, but according to my friend the issues were with the core game mechanics and almost everything they changed from the 2012 game's formula. I think he still liked it overall, but felt like it was a tangible step backwards.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Thanks for the advice - fortunately I can now wait for steam to go back online before making any bad buying decisions :negative:

Bolivar posted:

Are players still pissed at X-com 2 or have patches solved some of the issues? I want to buy it because I liked the first one (and it stopped working for some reason, so I uninstalled it...), but the disparity between review ratings and angry Steam/metacritic users is pretty big. Also not sure about that timer issue, I prefer to play games the way the creators intended it instead of modding. I enjoyed the first game playing "normal" difficulty on ironman, is that a viable path to go now with this game (assuming no mods installed)?

XCOM 2 is good and worth buying, there are still occasional bugs but nothing pervasive that you will notice coming up throughout the game and the gameplay is basically XCOM 1 but better.

The only issues I can think of are that there is a lot more emphasis on using all your flashy abilities and wiping out pods in one turn (not necessarily bad, but some people felt it made the game too easy) and the story being terrible but that's probably not why you're playing XCOM. Also the Alien Rulers DLC kind of messes up the balance so be careful with it on a first playthrough if you get it.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Is Steam getting hammered right now? I can't log in or even get on the Steam support forum.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

The carrier is one of the most powerful weapons in your arsenal after upgrades. But at the same time it's risky to bring into battle.

Which is such great design.

I also liked how the units controlled semi-autonomously. They didn't just stop and fire, but would do stuff like drive around or re-situate themselves (the light jeep things were especially cool when they would swarm like bees). It went a long way to improve the feel of the game. I just really loved that game.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Bolivar posted:

Are players still pissed at X-com 2 or have patches solved some of the issues? I want to buy it because I liked the first one (and it stopped working for some reason, so I uninstalled it...), but the disparity between review ratings and angry Steam/metacritic users is pretty big. Also not sure about that timer issue, I prefer to play games the way the creators intended it instead of modding. I enjoyed the first game playing "normal" difficulty on ironman, is that a viable path to go now with this game (assuming no mods installed)?

Any old-fashioned and pretty Point'n clicks released this year and on sale now (not episode games, unless the whole thing is sold as one and fits together)?

If the first Tomb Raider ran like an angel on my laptop with 50-60 FPS, should I expect to be happy with Rise of the Tomb Raider as well?

XCOM 2 is a good game. You just have to be willing to not play the game bounding up in continual overwatch coverage because the turn limits on various objectives won't allow it. Makes the game better than the first IMO since I'm routinely forced into significant tactical choices when things go to poo poo. Just be careful of the DLC - Alien Hunters adds some nasty stuff you probably don't want to deal with in your first playthrough.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

can you guys stop buying $2 indie titles so I can go back to playing CSGO? Thanks

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Avasculous posted:

I haven't played it, but according to my friend the issues were with the core game mechanics and almost everything they changed from the 2012 game's formula. I think he still liked it overall, but felt like it was a tangible step backwards.
At first I felt the same way, but after giving Xcom2 a fair chance, I'd have a hard time going back to Enemy Unknown/Within. They did change a few mechanics, and a lot of people hated the fact that many missions are now timed, but it adds a good deal of tension and gives you more difficult decisions than EW's "move one guy up, everyone overwatch, end turn" sequence.

It's the only Xcom game since UFO Defense that I immediately re-played when I finished.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Der Shovel posted:

I kinda sorta want to buy Dead by Daylight because a mate keeps talking it up, but I've also heard a lot of bad things about the community.

Any goons care to weigh in?

I bought this when they dropped that Michael Myers DLC. My first round the game locked up and crashed to desktop because I had a controller plugged in. Sure I could have made a point to reach around back of my computer and unplug my controller or disable it every single time I want to play this game but I shouldn't have to.

Also the Steam discussion forums are crazy toxic with people who have exclusively played killer or survivor for 1000 hours making GBS threads on each other about whatever balance tweak just happened.

WhiteHowler posted:

At first I felt the same way, but after giving Xcom2 a fair chance, I'd have a hard time going back to Enemy Unknown/Within. They did change a few mechanics, and a lot of people hated the fact that many missions are now timed, but it adds a good deal of tension and gives you more difficult decisions than EW's "move one guy up, everyone overwatch, end turn" sequence.

It's the only Xcom game since UFO Defense that I immediately re-played when I finished.

For me, the biggest thing XCOM 2 has over EU/EW is how easy mods are to install. Most mechanical gripes including the timers can be tweaked or modded out entirely.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

WhiteHowler posted:

And if you really can't get past the timers, they're easy as heck to mod.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

spasticColon posted:

Is Steam getting hammered right now? I can't log in or even get on the Steam support forum.

Same problems.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

the story being terrible but that's probably not why you're playing XCOM.

The story in XCOM 2 is beautiful.

And yes, there is nothing wrong with just playing the game as is. Maybe bump it up one past normal and maybe don't play Ironman your first time, but really whatever. The game still acts strange sometimes but it is good enough that you will get to a point that that is charming.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

http://steamstat.us

As I mentioned earlier, as of ~9:30 CST Steam has been dead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Thanks - I might give it a miss then since I was looking more for a relaxing single player sandbox. I feel like DayZ is the kind of game that looks great in amusing youtube griefing videos but would be not nearly as good to play.

Maybe The Long Dark is better for this?

Space Engineers is what you want. It's like Empyrion, but it's slowly starting to eclipse its features. It's very much still in Beta, but it adds new stuff semi-regularly and every week gets a new patch that at the very least crushes bugs and optimizes code.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

SilverMike posted:

XCOM 2 is a good game. You just have to be willing to not play the game bounding up in continual overwatch coverage because the turn limits on various objectives won't allow it.

Ok, well now you're selling it to me. gently caress that friend.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I'm in the mood for a turn-based dungeon crawler. Can anyone recommend one that isn't one of the usual suspects like Darkest Dungeon, Legend of Grimrock, Might & Magic X, or the Wizardries? I've played all of those.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Avasculous posted:

Ok, well now you're selling it to me. gently caress that friend.

The secret is the most vocal people who didn't like the mechanic changes just really hated having to take any risk ever.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

grrarg posted:

I'm in the mood for a turn-based dungeon crawler. Can anyone recommend one that isn't one of the usual suspects like Darkest Dungeon, Legend of Grimrock, Might & Magic X, or the Wizardries? I've played all of those.

Lords of Xulima is pretty awesome but it's not a first person view and not strictly dungeons.

In the vein of Grimrock there's StarCrawlers and Fall of the Dungeon Guardians, but I haven't played them yet myself.

If you're willing to emulate and move away from Steam, a lot of people missed out on the Dark Spire for the DS. It's a great little Wizardry clone in the 1-5 style rather than the 6-7 or 8 style.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

betamax hipster posted:

The secret is the most vocal people who didn't like the mechanic changes just really hated having to take any risk ever.

Yeah, I see what you mean. It speaks to me especially, because my only minor disappointments with Xcom 2012 were:
-The linearity of world events compared to the original
-The 'activating pod' system of enemies basically making take 2 steps->overwatch->end turn correct always.

I know that they tried to address the second one in EW with Meld, but it didn't really do the trick. Maybe hard timers are better.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Since Steam is down, I guess I'll make a recommended list for titles that get overlooked or every may not know about :

Binary Domain: Looks like a dull, cover-based shooter at first until you put a little time into it. The game eventually becomes a pretty fun high-action title with cool mechanics like shooting robot enemies in different places to get them to do different things like fight on your side, as well as having some ridiculously likable support characters. It's not as crazy as Vanquish, but may lightly scratch an itch for fans of that game.

Breath of Death VII/Cthulhu Saves the World: Two JRPG parodies/homages made by a company called Zeboyd. They try a little too hard with the humor sometimes, but the settings are unique and charming, and they both have really good turn-based battle systems that add neat mechanics to make them more challenging while removing some of the worse parts of those systems.

Brothers in Arms series: So these aren't exactly unknown, but I always recommend them to people who I think would like them, and it usually turns out they've never even heard of the series. Most people probably played Republic Commando, and BiA can feel like that game in spots. It's a WW2 single-player shooter series that has a heavy focus on controlling fire teams to fix and flank enemies while having a halfway-decent story to boot. Be warned the first two games got weird PC ports where friendly AI is balls loving stupid but was massively improved with this mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/rendrocs-warzone.

Call of Juarez Gunslinger: The devs abandoned the super-serious tone of previous games to make a high-action shooter with a really cool art style and mission structure. Really fun, satisfying western shooter that many people may have skipped over.

Breach & Clear/Door Kickers: Both are tactics games that play slightly differently. I'd say Kickers is slightly better, but Breach is good in its own right. Breach is mostly brought down by how open it gets in later levels plus its interface is kind of badly thought out.

HITMAN: Okay, so this is kind of cheating, but the game got way too much poo poo for its seasonal setup thing. Mechanically, this is easily the best Hitman game (and I'm one of those Blood Money diehards), and if the season pass is on sale, it's so worth getting. There's a ton of content and replayability with regular mission updates and alternate targets/objectives. The game is also going to be getting a second season to add on the base game in the coming year, too.

The Journey Down: Point-and-click with only two chapters so far, but it's got a cool style and a ton of charm to it. The puzzles also make sense without being easy. I had a few head-scratchers but never had to look up a guide. it's been a long time between episodes and the voice acting can get horrid in places, though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

grrarg posted:

It's only semi-turnbased but have you tried Dungeon of the Endless?

It's a really interesting mix of dungeon crawl and tower defence.

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

betamax hipster posted:

This. I was annoyed at the timers to start off when I first played, but they made me embrace the new skills the classes get and made me glad they were so much more useful. I had to pick and choose when to use them. Use them too little and you get behind. Too much too quick and you're gonna lose mans near the end of missions. Maybe don't use an RPG on that infantryman with 2 health left. Maybe DO use it on those two robots and a captain standing literally on the roof of a gasoline pump. v:shobon:v

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Just FYI -- GOG is also having their Good Buys 2016 sale. The Witcher Collection, Star Wars Bundles 1 & 2, Bethesda Shooters / Fallout / Elder Scrolls Bundles, Double Fine Productions Collection, Daedalic Collection, Team 17 Collection, Digerati Distribution Collection and more up to -90% off.

Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition is 75% off, the lowest its been in 2 years on Steam or Origin. A great bargain at $5.

Grim Dawn is .05$ cheaper on Steam than on GOG though!

I bought Total War Warhammer + the Chaos Warriors DLC for about $53 total. Having a bit of remorse since my laptop meets the minimum requirements, but not the recommended ones. Also, for around the same price I could have gotten:

Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun - $20
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution - $15
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Collection - $10
Way of the Samurai 3 - $10

Before I do a refund, what do people think of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning? It was a critical success but flopped when it came out. Today I learned that it was the one and only creation of a video game company founded by famed pitcher Curt Schilling, and when the game failed to break even (apparently it would have taken 3 million copies sold) it became the property of Rhode Island taxpayers because the company took out a loan from the Rhode Island government. Were the positive reviews and buzz around the game created by the company in the hopes of getting the game to break even, or did it just flop because it was an action RPG that came out around the same time as Skyrim?

I'm also getting these games, all great at these prices:

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - 5
STAR WARSŪ: Knights of the Old Republic II - 3 (I've played the original KOTOR to death)
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition - 3
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut - 1.50

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

betamax hipster posted:

Yeah gently caress casuals and their filthy hands on my videogames.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Panama Red posted:

Before I do a refund, what do people think of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning? It was a critical success but flopped when it came out. Today I learned that it was the one and only creation of a video game company founded by famed pitcher Curt Schilling, and when the game failed to break even (apparently it would have taken 3 million copies sold) it became the property of Rhode Island taxpayers because the company took out a loan from the Rhode Island government. Were the positive reviews and buzz around the game created by the company in the hopes of getting the game to break even, or did it just flop because it was an action RPG that came out around the same time as Skyrim?

It is essentially a single player MMO.

Huge world filled with quests to collect bear asses. The overall story is really bland but some of the faction quests are pretty decent. The DLCs are also better story wise.

Basically if you want something you can just turn your brain off and goof around in another world for a while you can do a lot worse.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Bolivar posted:

Any old-fashioned and pretty Point'n clicks released this year and on sale now (not episode games, unless the whole thing is sold as one and fits together)?

Shardlight by Wadjet Eye from this year is pretty good. Not my favorite of theirs, but certainly a solid point and clicker. If you haven't gotten it yet, I highly highly reccomend Technobabylon from last year also from them.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Is steam offline? I can access the internet (obviously) but My computer wont log onto steam, saying it cant connect to the steam network. :\

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Plan Z posted:

Since Steam is down, I guess I'll make a recommended list for titles that get overlooked or every may not know about :

Breath of Death VII/Cthulhu Saves the World: Two JRPG parodies/homages made by a company called Zeboyd. They try a little too hard with the humor sometimes, but the settings are unique and charming, and they both have really good turn-based battle systems that add neat mechanics to make them more challenging while removing some of the worse parts of those systems.

Zeboyd games is developing Cosmic Star Heroine, coming out in just over a week. It's apparently along the lines of Chrono Trigger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytQNG5t8wCs

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Clouseau posted:

Shardlight by Wadjet Eye from this year is pretty good. Not my favorite of theirs, but certainly a solid point and clicker. If you haven't gotten it yet, I highly highly reccomend Technobabylon from last year also from them.

Yeah these two are pretty solid (Techno being a standout.)

Others I've played and enjoyed lately:
Kathy Rain (highly recommended)
The Blackwell series (play in order, the first few are very short)
Anna's Quest (avoid the other stuff from Daedelic though. Most of them are bad)
Resonance

(I'm actually considering doing an adventure game reviews month in a month or two)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

strategery posted:

Is steam offline? I can access the internet (obviously) but My computer wont log onto steam, saying it cant connect to the steam network. :\

Yeah, we broke it a bit ago :smith:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Panama Red posted:

It's a single player action-rpg MMO. Think closer to Fable than Skyrim. I had fun playing it, but there are a lot of MMO style mechanics and quests that feel out of place in a single player game.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Mokinokaro posted:

It is essentially a single player MMO.

Huge world filled with quests to collect bear asses. The overall story is really bland but some of the faction quests are pretty decent. The DLCs are also better story wise.

Basically if you want something you can just turn your brain off and goof around in another world for a while you can do a lot worse.

Yeah, "single player MMO" is what I keep hearing, which isn't at all bad IMO. More concerned about the bland story and the rather narrow race and class options. I would have expected more with R.A. Salvatore on board. Oh well.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

StealthArcher posted:

Yeah gently caress casuals and their filthy hands on my videogames.

This seems like an unusual interpretation of what they said? If anything its the opposite, as the die hard fans of the original would be the most used to the usual xcom style of slowly and meticulously combing the map, and thus have the most jarring reaction to the change in pace.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

grrarg posted:

Have you tried Eliminage Gothic? It sounds like it'd be right up your alley. It's the most Wizardry thing I've played in a while.

TheCrushinator
May 19, 2008

strategery posted:

Going to assuming the servers got slammed when a particular game got a deep discount. It will clear up soon i'm sure.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I liked Amalur but I ran into a game crash bug maybe 8 or 9 hours in that killed my save and thus my interest in the game.

It's too bad because it was actually pretty good for a mindless game to play while you're watching TV or something.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

This seems like an unusual interpretation of what they said? If anything its the opposite, as the die hard fans of the original would be the most used to the usual xcom style of slowly and meticulously combing the map, and thus have the most jarring reaction to the change in pace.

The post quoted was literally saving the equivalent of "losers don't want to take riskz like me, CoolShit McVideogames. :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo:".

I mean, I like what I've seen of xcom 2, but gently caress if this attitude isn't trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Clouseau posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I just can't get past the VGA graphics from 1993 that Wadjet Eye uses. I know I used the word "old-fashioned" but the above mentioned Journey Down is a good example of old-fashioned yet relevant. It just feels too fake to use graphics from 1993, that poo poo was old in 1995 already. I feel like I need to get another laser surgery if I play Primordia any further.

• Locked thread