Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Kingdoms of Amalur is ok if you ignore all the bear-assy sidequests and just focus on the main story and the bigger faction questlines. There are so many generic filler quests you'll just get bored out of your mind if you try to be a completionist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
If you want a good single-player MMO, you should be buying The Secret World :colbert:

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

TheCrushinator posted:

Going to assuming the servers got slammed when a particular game got a deep discount. It will clear up soon i'm sure.

What game? :\

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Ragequit posted:

Zeboyd games is developing Cosmic Star Heroine, coming out in just over a week. It's apparently along the lines of Chrono Trigger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytQNG5t8wCs

Forgot about that. Thanks for the heads-up.

Fiblah
Jul 22, 2007

Panama Red posted:

Before I do a refund, what do people think of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

It was good enough that I spent 75 hours playing it (including DLC), but by the end of the game I was so fed up with some of the combat mechanics I rushed through it just to put it in my "games beaten" list.

The game relies on stringing together combos with your weapons, but some of the later enemies have such a huge attack range that they can break you out of them, essentially resetting your combo and stunning/knocking you back. When fighting multiple enemies, they have the tendency to stunlock you, which I loving hated.

The story is dumb (but fun), the combat is alright (if you find weapons that suit your playstyle), and I would recommend it if you are looking for a single-player mmo like many others have said. If you're looking for a game with in-depth combat and good story, I'd look elsewhere.

Axel Serenity posted:

If you want a good single-player MMO, you should be buying The Secret World :colbert:

Good point. The Secret World is awesome.

Fiblah fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 23, 2016

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
I may well check out the Secret World as an alternative, since I'm a little burnt out on high fantasy and the Lovecraftian premise sounds cool. Not a huge fan of MMOs and grinding, but I'll definitely read some reviews.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If you want the good parts of The Secret World and not the extraneous MMO trash that was tied to the excellent writing, get The Black Watchmen instead. It's by the team that did TSW's amazing investigation missions, and you don't have to do mmo bullshit.

Like TSW's investigations, you do real-world research and use real world tools with a bit of extra info gathered from the game itself. poo poo is difficult but rarely feels outright unfair.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 23, 2016

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

strategery posted:

What game? :\

No Man's Sky, duh

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is XCOM2 fixed yet? I should be able to brute-force it regardless (1070, 16 GB DDR4, i5-6600K overclocked to 4.1) but I know that it was a technical mess at launch.

Fiblah
Jul 22, 2007

Panama Red posted:

I may well check out the Secret World as an alternative, since I'm a little burnt out on high fantasy and the Lovecraftian premise sounds cool. Not a huge fan of MMOs and grinding, but I'll definitely read some reviews.

If you read reviews, try to focus on the newer ones. A lot of the reviews are from when TSW was released and the combat was awful and grindy. They improved the combat and zones recently where fights don't last forever and enemies aren't so closely packed you cant move without pulling more.

I found the investigation missions extremely cool, trying to figure those out by reading the clues and using the ingame web browser and not just googling the solution was an awesome time.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

StealthArcher posted:

The post quoted was literally saving the equivalent of "losers don't want to take riskz like me, CoolShit McVideogames. :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo:".

I mean, I like what I've seen of xcom 2, but gently caress if this attitude isn't trash.

I have no idea how you got that out of that post.

Xcom 2 is great, can't be played like exactly Xcom, which is a good thing, and the most vocal people upset by that are concerned that their min-max 0 death strats from the first game can't be used in the second and they might actually have to use the "recruit a new squad member" from time to time.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Mordja posted:

Is XCOM2 fixed yet? I should be able to brute-force it regardless (1070, 16 GB DDR4, i5-6600K overclocked to 4.1) but I know that it was a technical mess at launch.

I still get crashes here and there when reloading an in mission save but the performance is a lot smoother for me now than it was at launch and my system is about half as good as yours.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Panama Red posted:

There's very little actual grinding since there are no traditional levels. Instead, you gain ability points and such at certain times and basically fill a scroll wheel of weapon moves at your leisure.

The story is awesome, but the highlights are definitely the way the quests are done. You can do them repeatedly (once per day usually), and almost all of them are fully voice-acted and cutscene'd. The best ones are the Investigation missions, which have you use actual, real world knowledge to solve them. There's even an in-game browser to help you google as you go. It should also be noted that Lovecraft is really only the first few zones. There's also Egyptian and Transylvanian stuff later, and Japanese if you buy the extra issues (essentially DLC-like expansions).

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you want the good parts of The Secret World and not the extraneous MMO trash that was tied to the excellent writing, get The Black Watchmen instead. It's by the team that did TSW's amazing investigation missions, and you don't have to do mmo bullshit.

Like TSW's investigations, you do real-world research and use real world tools with a bit of extra info gathered from the game itself. poo poo is difficult but rarely feels outright unfair.

This sounds really good. Like I said above, the investigations were a major hilight. I didn't know they did another game and will for sure give it a look when Steam comes back up.

That said, I would still get TSW. Another fun aspect that is tied to the MMO part are the dungeons. They're probably second only to WoW in terms of actually being fun with real mechanics rather than just feeling like some mad bumrush like most MMOs. They're really good and the only "must-do" part of the MMO portions of TSW. The crafting, PVP, whatever aren't super good and can probably be ignored for the most part, but the dungeons are well worth the time to do.

Ciao, ciao!

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 23, 2016

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Mordja posted:

I have a 5 year old sandy bridge i5 (2500k) and 8 gb with a radeon 6950 and i played through it fine.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Any good ARPGs on sale that aren't Grim Dawn? I might pick up some old rpgs as well (KOTOR 1 and 2, and some other stuff I can't remember on my wishlist and can't currently check).

Is Witcher 2 worth getting after starting with and only playing Witcher 3? Will it be ruined for me?

KrayG posted:

Whats the general consensus on driving/racing games on Steam? I'm hovering between Dirty Rally, Project Cars and Assetto Corsa?

Dirt Rally is supposed to be awesome and I will probably pick it up. Project cars is pretty and Assetto Corsa is decent but I've only ever played AC. The PC sim racing thread sums up a lot of these games depending on what you're looking for (multiplayer, career mode, graphics, etc).

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 23, 2016

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

StealthArcher posted:

The post quoted was literally saving the equivalent of "losers don't want to take riskz like me, CoolShit McVideogames. :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo:".

I mean, I like what I've seen of xcom 2, but gently caress if this attitude isn't trash.

Sure people can play video games however they like but complaints about XCOM 2 turn timers (at least those who were doing it from an XCOM 1 perspective) were overwhelmingly people who were unhappy their slow overwatch creep strategies (see also: Long War players) were dumbed down to make the game accessible to casuals. It really is the opposite of that.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Axel Serenity posted:

There's very little actual grinding since there are no traditional levels. Instead, you gain ability points and such at certain times and basically fill a scroll wheel of weapon moves at your leisure.

The story is awesome, but the highlights are definitely the way the quests are done. You can do them repeatedly (once per day usually), and almost all of them are fully voice-acted and cutscene'd. The best ones are the Investigation missions, which have you use actual, real world knowledge to solve them. There's even an in-game browser to help you google as you go. It should also be noted that Lovecraft is really only the first few zones. There's also Egyptian and Transylvanian stuff later, and Japanese if you buy the extra issues (essentially DLC-like expansions).

This sounds really good. Like I said above, the investigations were a major hilight. I didn't know they did another game and will for sure give it a look when Steam comes back up.

That said, I would still get TSW. Another fun aspect that is tied to the MMO part are the dungeons. They're probably second only to WoW in terms of actually being fun with real mechanics rather than just feeling like some mad bumrush like most MMOs. They're really good and the only "must-do" part of the MMO portions of TSW. The crafting, PVP, whatever aren't super good and can probably be ignored for the most part, but the dungeons are well worth the time to do.

Ciao, ciao!

Yeah I actually really did love the dungeons and had one or two done on nightmare. If there's actually enough people to still do those, they're amazing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bolivar posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I just can't get past the VGA graphics from 1993 that Wadjet Eye uses. I know I used the word "old-fashioned" but the above mentioned Journey Down is a good example of old-fashioned yet relevant. It just feels too fake to use graphics from 1993, that poo poo was old in 1995 already. I feel like I need to get another laser surgery if I play Primordia any further.

Anna's Quest might be better for you then. It's got a very cartoony style (think Curse of Monkey Island at modern resolutions)

There's also The Whispered World series if you don't mind fantasy. They're pretty as heck with decent puzzles and story.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Axel Serenity posted:

Ciao, ciao!

This is probably the saddest part of TSW's likely imminent shutdown, the dungeons are brilliant because of the stories interwoven throughout them. Between the overall zone stories setting them up, combined with the optional lore you can pick up to fill in the gaps, plus so much additional voice acting and story in the dungeons themselves. And on top of all of it, the overall design and mechanics are really, really well done. Trash mobs are there to teach you lessons about upcoming boss mechanics, rather than just slow you down. Oof, now I want to reinstall and play through them again.

Screaming stars impale me with beauty. The anthem of dreams.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm hoping that whenever TSW shuts down someone figures out a way to rig it up as an SP game.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

What a fitting image for this morning.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah I'm hoping that whenever TSW shuts down someone figures out a way to rig it up as an SP game.

I want a movie or novel adaptation if for no other reason than because Kirsten Geary is too good a character to die.

e: ok with this Steam outage I'm gonna play some because this discussion is an enabler

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 23, 2016

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!
Here's to everyone at Steam who just looked at the time and swore

:patriot:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Kingdoms of Amalur was originally going to actually be an MMO, as mentioned R.A. Salvatore did the lore and Todd McFarlane did some artwork for it. That's how Curt Schilling managed to blow through many millions of dollars to make a mediocre single player action RPG. He also blames Lincoln Chafee (who was gov of Rhode Island at the time) calling it a failure for costing him a 35 million dollar deal with another publisher.

It is a single player MMO which I figured out a few hours in and I just started ignoring sidequests. I spent about 18 hours into it which I don't regret at all, but with so much other more recent stuff available at decent prices I'd probably say grab it if it's real cheap and bring it out when you're totally bored of the other games you have.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

kiffkin posted:

Here's to everyone at Steam who just looked at the time and swore

:patriot:

thanks

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I can't even get into offline mode right now. :rip:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

I don't know what hotlapping is but it sounds pretty sexy :pervert:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I would not be annoyed even a bit that steam was down except that the launcher keeps throwing up warnings that it can't sync when I try to play a game, and I've had bad experiences with saves getting wiped before. I was gonna try to finish off Dishonored 2 :(

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

fast cars loose anus posted:

I would not be annoyed even a bit that steam was down except that the launcher keeps throwing up warnings that it can't sync when I try to play a game, and I've had bad experiences with saves getting wiped before. I was gonna try to finish off Dishonored 2 :(

Switch to offline mode and it SHOULD suppress those.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What a glorious time to be at work. I'm sick and wanted to stay home and play skylines and collect some dank assets off the workshop, glad I went into work instead. Maybe they'll have their poo poo sorted by the time I come home.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Cuntpunch posted:

This is probably the saddest part of TSW's likely imminent shutdown, the dungeons are brilliant because of the stories interwoven throughout them. Between the overall zone stories setting them up, combined with the optional lore you can pick up to fill in the gaps, plus so much additional voice acting and story in the dungeons themselves. And on top of all of it, the overall design and mechanics are really, really well done. Trash mobs are there to teach you lessons about upcoming boss mechanics, rather than just slow you down. Oof, now I want to reinstall and play through them again.

Screaming stars impale me with beauty. The anthem of dreams.

Um, it is only like $7.50 through Bundle Stars, but do I want to be buying a buy-to-play MMO that's facing an imminent shutdown?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

Switch to offline mode and it SHOULD suppress those.

Oh yeah good call

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
For everyone getting or playing XCOM 2 make sure you hit the workshop and get the popular mods like "don't waste my time" and the better stealth ones, just look for most downloaded. They make the game a ton more fun.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Looks like Phantom Squad on twitter took credit for steam being down.

https://twitter.com/PhantomRaids

Turd Herder fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 23, 2016

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Panama Red posted:

Um, it is only like $7.50 through Bundle Stars, but do I want to be buying a buy-to-play MMO that's facing an imminent shutdown?

Anarchy Online came out in 2002 from the same company, and that's still going. I wouldn't worry about TSW.

Metalocalypse
Jul 29, 2006
Steam is coming back up, at least the community side of things.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

No luck getting the store page up (probably because everyone's rushing it) but downloads seem to be working again.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Panama Red posted:

Feel free to check the MMO HMO thread for ideas, but as far as I know, it's not facing shutdown. It's obviously not, like, WoW levels but it seems there are a lot worse MMOs still around somehow. It was just in a big Humble Bundle and is still healthy enough to be supported. At $7.50, I think you'd get more than enough playtime out of it as a SP game, but that is your call if you think it'd compare to other games in that price range.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I see the LOIC is getting it's annual workout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Looks like Phantom Squad on twitter took credit for steam being down.

https://twitter.com/PhantomRaids

They're a bunch of attention whores who claim every outage is them though.

Also a bunch of little kids. Someone doxxed them before apparently.

• Locked thread