Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Picked up risk legacy

Psyched for it this weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Do not lift the plastic insert under any circumstances.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

What games can be made out of a single deck of playing cards using different colored sharpies? So far this is my list:

Love Letter (Premium?)
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Coup
Brave Rats (a fun little 2 player Love Letter-like)

Any others? Trying to put together a decent experience for a camping trip that will play 2-6 (space is very tight, which is why I'm limited to one deck).

You can play Magic the Gathering if you have a lot of time on your hands with that sharpie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

What games can be made out of a single deck of playing cards using different colored sharpies? So far this is my list:

Love Letter (Premium?)
Coup

Any others? Trying to put together a decent experience for a camping trip that will play 2-6 (space is very tight, which is why I'm limited to one deck).

Assuming you mean one deck for everything?

Kobayakawa is 15 cards numbered 1-15. You can use unused cards for the chips.

Entropy is ten cards per player (up to 4) plus two wild cards and an Anchor (use a coin). There's some text, but if you can have a card ability reference sheet it can theoretically be played without modifying the cards at all.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Huh

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lorini posted:

Ok, Ok, we were playing it correctly. Whew.

Yeah just a misunderstanding.

In other news, I want to play feast again again. Vacation week maybe I'll solo!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I'll be getting my copy of Feast on Sunday and come Tuesday I'll be playing it with friends

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bottom Liner posted:

Love Letter (Premium?)
Coup

Tichu, but you need 4 jokers

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
After playing it twice I have decided to reject Feast for Odin for philosophical reasons. A game about vikings should not be multiplayer solitaire to such a degree.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Wizard Styles posted:

After playing it twice I have decided to reject Feast for Odin for philosophical reasons. A game about vikings should not be multiplayer solitaire to such a degree.

I'll translate, and let me know if I'm wrong. You are willing to reject a game because its theme does not match its mechanics.

That is a valid reason to reject a game, in my opinion, just want to make sure that's what you mean. Though it's a shame unless you *actually* just don't like multiplayer solitairy games, which is of course also valid.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Wizard Styles posted:

How many people did you play it with? It's certainly not for everybody, but I don't get the multiplayer solitaire critique at all. Maybe it's just cause I also really love trying to help my friends out during the game, but with 2 people I've had the most fun playing.

So it sounds like there's enough interest for a weekly(is that too frequent?) AFfO challenge, I'll draw up the OP over my break and hopefully get it rolling by the 27th. Any input is much appreciated!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
It wasn't an entirely serious post and more meant as a warning to anyone excited about Feast that it is multiplayer solitaire.

It's a good game, so I'd still play it. But I prefer high (direct) player interaction in general so it's not a game I absolutely love and I definitely won't get it for myself.

e:

Johnny Truant posted:

How many people did you play it with? It's certainly not for everybody, but I don't get the multiplayer solitaire critique at all. Maybe it's just cause I also really love trying to help my friends out during the game, but with 2 people I've had the most fun playing.
Once with 4, once with 3.
It felt more confrontational with 3. At least there was some competition for emigration spaces near the end. Still not a lot of interaction, though.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, direct player interaction is kind of limited in the game.

There are a few occupation cards that let you "steal" certain special pieces from opponent's boards, but... you just replace them with blues that fit exactly like the piece.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

So it sounds like there's enough interest for a weekly(is that too frequent?) AFfO challenge, I'll draw up the OP over my break and hopefully get it rolling by the 27th. Any input is much appreciated!

Compared to Rosenberg's other games there is little direct competition compared to something like Agricola. His other games will have one space that do something like important like create new workers while in Odin if you miss the 1-viking hunting space there's always the 2-viking hunting space. I haven't played 4 player but even then you get two extra actions that copy other actions so it's not like there's a bloodbath over action spaces.

I think it says a lot that this is big in solitaire circles with video game leaderboard challenges and poo poo. And I too enjoy giving my opponents advice on taking the most advantage of their board, something I don't do at all in Agricola when I'm hoping their little family starves and their lovely farmland gets consumed by weeds. At no point do I feel like I'm outplaying my opponents, just playing Tetris with wolf pelts and big meat.

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

Counterpoint. Totally life up the plastic insert.

And don't do anything else with it.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

al-azad posted:

Compared to Rosenberg's other games there is little direct competition compared to something like Agricola. His other games will have one space that do something like important like create new workers while in Odin if you miss the 1-viking hunting space there's always the 2-viking hunting space. I haven't played 4 player but even then you get two extra actions that copy other actions so it's not like there's a bloodbath over action spaces.

I think it says a lot that this is big in solitaire circles with video game leaderboard challenges and poo poo. And I too enjoy giving my opponents advice on taking the most advantage of their board, something I don't do at all in Agricola when I'm hoping their little family starves and their lovely farmland gets consumed by weeds. At no point do I feel like I'm outplaying my opponents, just playing Tetris with wolf pelts and big meat.
Yeah, there are a lot of spaces available and I didn't ever feel fully locked into one strategy.
Neither of these things is bad per se, of course, but they do allow you to play around each other.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Multi-player solitaire is the solution to co-op games "quarterbacking" problem.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

al-azad posted:

Haha I think you've 100% sold me on Agricola just by your hopes and dreams of opponent's farms withering and dying :devil: I guess I never really realized but yeah I really do enjoy leaderboard challenge types of things, so it makes sense why I'm still balls-deep in AFfO.

Rutibex posted:

Multi-player solitaire is the solution to co-op games "quarterbacking" problem.

True, although I've never had this problem, really. Pandemic Legacy has me and three friends, one of whom is as loud and obnoxious as I am, but we never really have a "NO WE GOTTA DO IT THIS WAY" or a single person basically holding the reins, we're always discussing every option. Even when there's pretty much a clear cut strategy for our current turn(Karachi is gonna be hosed oh goooooooooooood!) we still discuss everybody's ideas and only finalize our moves once we all agree. But ymmv, right?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

They're like 8 x 6.5 feet and I'm still worried that I won't fit everything in but this should force me into a nice non crippling if you buy one, one's gotta come out policy

e: also there's nothing more fun than getting hit and run on the way to game night, luckily the damage was really light and cosmetic but man gently caress some people

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 23, 2016

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

T-Bone posted:

They're like 8 x 6.5 feet and I'm still worried that I won't fit everything in but this should force me into a nice non crippling if you buy one, one's gotta come out policy

e: also there's nothing more fun than getting hit and run on the way to game night, luckily the damage was really light and cosmetic but man gently caress some people

Sorry about the hit and run on you, poo poo sucks.

On the plus side you've got some solid shelves?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Fat Samurai posted:

Does it say "Risk is a bad game. You have wasted your time and money"?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bottom Liner posted:

Love Letter (Premium?)
Coup

Wouldn't you have problems in Coup since each card of a given type is supposed to be identical?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

StashAugustine posted:

Wouldn't you have problems in Coup since each card of a given type is supposed to be identical?

There are definitely versions where there are multiple portrait types for each role.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

now entering North Dakota posted:

Counterpoint. Totally life up the plastic insert.

And don't do anything else with it.

Now, THAT is being mean.

CaptainRightful posted:

It is a bad game, but it was the first to try the Legacy thing and there are rule changes to make games go way faster than usual. It never overstayed it's welcome when I played it, although I wouldn't do a second campaign.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 23, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

StashAugustine posted:

I might be missing something, but I don't see how it affects the gameplay?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
man putting these games in is revealing the full depths of my depravity, at least some of it is my brother's collection -- the GMT/wargame section is rad though :cool:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bottom Liner posted:

I might be missing something, but I don't see how it affects the gameplay?

Say someone gets challenged on, oh, Duke; shuffles in the ace of hearts; then you pull an ace of spades out of the deck. You now know that there's still a Duke in the deck.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You can buy blank playing cards cheaper than you can buy printed ones.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

T-Bone posted:

Agreed

I got rear-ended on the way to my wedding shower. Watch the road, shitheads

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Flig...ASIN=1616619937

Armada for 45

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Feasts is not as multi-player solitaire as it seems upon the first few plays. Lots of competition for whaling and games of chicken for the islands.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Say someone gets challenged on, oh, Duke; shuffles in the ace of hearts; then you pull an ace of spades out of the deck. You now know that there's still a Duke in the deck.

Use the sharpie and scratch out the suits.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
This is a dumb question, but I recently saw a Kickstarter or something for a fold up table with a felt top and some other features being sold as a gaming table and I was awfully intrigued. The collapsible card table I have is a bit on the small side for certain games, and we don't have enough room in the apartment to have a big honking game table taking up a bunch of space.

I probably should just get a larger cheapo card table, but the felt top seems so nice!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Quote isn't edit haha

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Do we have a thread for Armada? I played it once but would like to get a better overall idea of how it plays.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

This is a dumb question, but I recently saw a Kickstarter or something for a fold up table with a felt top and some other features being sold as a gaming table and I was awfully intrigued. The collapsible card table I have is a bit on the small side for certain games, and we don't have enough room in the apartment to have a big honking game table taking up a bunch of space.

I probably should just get a larger cheapo card table, but the felt top seems so nice!

I wouldn't spend money on it. Look for something labeled as a folding picnic table. They're usually 6' or more which is plenty for most games. A table is like $30 and enough felt to cover it is less than $10. You can even wash the felt if you have pets or spill drinks which you can't really do when it's built into the table.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
How is Mombasa?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Texibus posted:

How is Mombasa?

Ignore the theme, it's awful.

I quite like the game, after two plays.

Lorini is trading it away, for what seem like valid reasons that I won't really get annoyed at until a few more plays, probably. So I'd say, play it, buy it if you really like it but be warned it may not have lasting power.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
There was an Indie Boards & Cards KS version of Coup that had different artwork for each of the different Dukes, Captains, Assassins, etc. It absolutely hurts the game and wasn't intended by the original designer. If you're making your own copy of Coup, it's highly recommended that all copies of each character be completely identical.

CaptainRightful posted:

Risk Legacy isn't exactly Risk, and it's the only version of Risk worth buying and playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

LongDarkNight posted:

Do we have a thread for Armada? I played it once but would like to get a better overall idea of how it plays.

The Fantasy Flight Star Wars thread is where it's discussed.
That's a good price for Armada, but TBH I always see people unloading their Armada collections at firesale prices because they don't have enough time to play that and the other games they like. The Star Wars games sell and trade group on Facebook has frequent deals