Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Control Volume posted:

Activism is about pushing the envelope further, and I dont think we should just settle for having a couple good asses on video game men. Im proposing all male characters in video games have excellent asses, the best available.

:nws: for Oglaf

https://i.imgur.com/WxmXarm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/85jdRbJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yJPVUxq.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Bethamphetamine posted:

North Carolina's legislature today has its 5th special session, to repeal HB2.

So far they have:
-recognized outgoing lawmakers.
-recognized an intern for their service.
-successfully voted on rules, over objections by some lawmakers that this 5th special session is unconstitutional.
-recessed 3 times so repubs could have closed door meetings.
-not proposed the repeal of HB2. Wait, untrue. Just now senate dems have finally filed the bill to repeal

You can check on this guy's twitter for updates
https://twitter.com/NickOchsnerWBTV/status/811634817846669316

And the repeal fails
http://www.hrc.org/blog/breaking-hb2-repeal-fails-deeply-discriminatory-bill-continues-to-target-lg
:argh: :bang:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

American democrats never fail to depress me. :suicide:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Toplowtech posted:

This has nothing to do with the democratic party. They are in no way in control right now. The repeal failed because the repeal only would have removed the bathroom rules not the part where they overrode local anti-discrimination ordnances.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Toplowtech posted:

The Republicans control both sides of the legislative branch in North Carolina? Misplaced blame much?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

This has nothing to do with the democratic party. They are in no way in control right now.
Okay, so that whole vote was just a pointless show of protest against the law. Anything useful they can do against the law instead of organizing public displays of failure?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:allears:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The Republicans control both sides of the legislative branch in North Carolina? Misplaced blame much?

This isn't dnd if you can't rail about how useless Democrats are.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

This isn't dnd if you can't rail about how useless Democrats are.

While simultaneously doing jack poo poo about it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why couldn't the democrats use their mind control powers to get republicans to vote for their bill? Useless.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Toplowtech posted:

Okay, so that whole vote was just a pointless show of protest against the law. Anything useful they can do against the law instead of organizing public displays of failure?

The new governor is going to certainly stop the state from defending the lawsuits against the law which will speed up it being ruled unconstitutional. Additionally he's likely to declare the law is invalid and not enforceable as it's his job to enforce the laws of the state.

The vote wasn't a protest against the law at all. The vote was republicans trying to do damage control and limit the new governor's power/ability to limit their awfulness. They were trying to get public opinion in their favor by "repealing" the bathroom portion of the law but not the part that kills local anti-discrimination ordinances.

This was not something done by or orchestrated by the NC democratic party in any way.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

The new governor is going to certainly stop the state from defending the lawsuits against the law which will speed up it being ruled unconstitutional. Additionally he's likely to declare the law is invalid and not enforceable as it's his job to enforce the laws of the state.

The vote wasn't a protest against the law at all. The vote was republicans trying to do damage control and limit the new governor's power/ability to limit their awfulness. They were trying to get public opinion in their favor by "repealing" the bathroom portion of the law but not the part that kills local anti-discrimination ordinances.

This was not something done by or orchestrated by the NC democratic party in any way.
Well, then it's still a successful political op to make the opponents to their law looks like powerless idiots, all while failing to repeal it themselves.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

Well, then it's still a successful political op to make the opponents to their law looks like powerless idiots, all while failing to repeal it themselves.

How do you propose that the opponents repeal a law when they aren't a majority in either chamber of the legislature

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Toplowtech posted:

What do you mean make their opponents look like powerless idiots? This was not something that had any democratic pushing or support because it was an incomplete repeal and not a real attempt. Once the new governor is in place the law is effectively dead and will be officially dead when the courts strike it down. This was political theater by republicans for republicans at the continued expense of the north carolina taxpayers.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

Pst. Hey buddy? It's okay to admit you were wrong instead of doubling down. Take it from me :buddy:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Aleph Null posted:

I thought that is what Japan thinks a manly man is, as opposed to the US where we like 'em burly.

That's grossly overstating things. Tons of Japanese culture is all about the burly dude as the manly man. Just as there's plenty of American culture where super buff men aren't the ideal.

What is true is that American propaganda liked to accuse all Japanese men of being feminine (when they weren't be accused of basically being wild monkeys) during World War II, but that's hardly a reflection of what the Japanese actually were or wanted. That was just about racism.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

How do you propose that the opponents repeal a law when they aren't a majority in either chamber of the legislature
How about they try to make the main message "Republicans fail to repeal their own poo poo bathroom law in lame attempt to save discriminatory anti gay labor laws". Because it was not the message i got reading this thread.

quote:

What do you mean make their opponents look like powerless idiots?
I don't know what's the message going around? "Attempt to repeal bathroom law fail". I wonder who all the rest of the world (even if you don't care about us, like we don't care about the NC politic details) would assume is the source of the failure, especially after the presidential poo poo show.

quote:

This was political theater by republicans for republicans at the continued expense of the north carolina taxpayers.
And their show works.

Pst. Hey buddy? It's okay to admit you were wrong instead of doubling down. Take it from me :buddy:
Yes i was wrong, sorry. I am still angry about the Supreme court's non-replacement nonsense:buddy:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Toplowtech posted:

How about they try to make the main message "Republicans fail to repeal their own poo poo bathroom law in lame attempt to save discriminatory anti gay labor laws". Because it was not the message i got reading this thread.

You'd get that if you read any of the articles or news, though.

Also that's pretty much exactly what I've been saying in this thread.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

That's grossly overstating things. Tons of Japanese culture is all about the burly dude as the manly man. Just as there's plenty of American culture where super buff men aren't the ideal.

What is true is that American propaganda liked to accuse all Japanese men of being feminine (when they weren't be accused of basically being wild monkeys) during World War II, but that's hardly a reflection of what the Japanese actually were or wanted. That was just about racism.

I would say there's way more Japanese stuff where effeminate men are badasses than American, and the reaction tends to be way different. For example, when Metal Gear Solid 2 replaced stereotypical manly-man Solid Snake with a blonde beanpole, the Japanese audience was more or less okay with it whereas the American audience was loving enraged.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I would say there's way more Japanese stuff where effeminate men are badasses than American, and the reaction tends to be way different. For example, when Metal Gear Solid 2 replaced stereotypical manly-man Solid Snake with a blonde beanpole, the Japanese audience was more or less okay with it whereas the American audience was loving enraged.

Is nerd culture in Japan a reflection of society at large? This seems culturally condescending and a mite Orientalist?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

stone cold posted:

Is nerd culture in Japan a reflection of society at large? This seems culturally condescending and a mite Orientalist?

I would say no given the number of manga made with LGBT themes and the LGBT perception in general society are very at odds. Just as an LGBT need I read lots of that kind of manga. poo poo yaoi culture is a huge thing but it does not mean gay dudes are treated great.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

stone cold posted:

I think this would kind of depend on how narrowly you define "nerd culture." In recent years, it's kind of become a catchall for "lowbrow" media. Even then, I was making an apples-to-apples comparison between Japanese nerds and American nerds in a conversation specifically about media portrayals, so I'm not sure if it matters.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think this would kind of depend on how narrowly you define "nerd culture." In recent years, it's kind of become a catchall for "lowbrow" media. Even then, I was making an apples-to-apples comparison between Japanese nerds and American nerds in a conversation specifically about media portrayals, so I'm not sure if it matters.

Well, you talked nebulously about Japanese stuff and Japanese masculinity so that's not an apples to apples conversation per se. And I don't think otaku culture is mainstream Japanese culture necessarily, no.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
My apologies, I should have worded my first post a little more clearly but I'm running on very little sleep.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Normally, I'd say via political horse-trading, but the NC GOP already just proved they can't be trusted to bargain in good faith ever again. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So is Cooper capable of striking down HB2 or not?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

So is Cooper capable of striking down HB2 or not?

He's just the governor. He could stop enforcing it but he can't repeal it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Badger of Basra posted:

He's just the governor. He could stop enforcing it but he can't repeal it.

He also isn't going to defend legal challenges and it'll get struck down by the courts.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Mr. Nice! posted:

He also isn't going to defend legal challenges and it'll get struck down by the courts.

and as prop 8 proved, random-rear end groups don't have the standing to defend a law on behalf of a state government if that state government decides not to defend that law.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Instant Sunrise posted:

and as prop 8 proved, random-rear end groups don't have the standing to defend a law on behalf of a state government if that state government decides not to defend that law.

The legislature, on the other hand, can-- that's what happened with DOMA as I recall. The "Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group," a partisan entity of the majority party in the House, stepped in to fill the DOJ's role. That could well happen here.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

In very weird news, this:

America's young earth creationist sweetheart is taking back the rainbow from gays and any spectrum of Norse/Asatru, by shining multicolor lights on his replica of Noah's ark, which is a giftshop.

Feel the sting of his blade, liberals. This winter solstice is reclaimed for Santa and christians!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Bethamphetamine posted:

America's young earth creationist sweetheart is taking back the rainbow from gays and any spectrum of Norse/Asatru, by shining multicolor lights on his replica of Noah's ark, which is a giftshop.

Feel the sting of his blade, liberals. This winter solstice is reclaimed for Santa and christians!

how will my Norse slashfiction OTP ever make it to Midgard now

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Bethamphetamine posted:

Reinds me of when Russia passed the Gay propaganda law they found themselves in a bit of a quandary as in addition to gay pride the rainbow flag is the official flag of peace and a number of territories including the Jewish Autonomous Region, a part of the Russian Federation. This meant they were in trouble, either they had to let a part of the Federation violate federal law, or move to curtail an Oblasts autonomy, which given the political instability in Russia could easily back fire.

Fortunately they found a man to explain away the issue. https://www.buzzfeed.com/miriamelder/russias-jewish-flag-is-not-gay-kremlin-expert-says?utm_term=.rqK5p82Qm#.gwya3Eyxw

quote:

“On its flag the gay movement uses seven stripes, not six,” Valyaev explained. “The rainbow and their flag have nothing in common, it’s totally different.”
“The rainbow is a divine symbol, taken from the Bible,” he said. “God threw the rainbow from the sky into the wilderness of the desert as a symbol of hope.”
“Gays used this divine symbol, the rainbow, but removed from its spectrum the light blue color, so it’s already not a rainbow,” he said.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah yes, ROYGLBBIV

And people say LGBT people do silly things with acronyms.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Can we collectively start asking more of "allies" yet?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Can we collectively start asking more of "allies" yet?

Look the allies are really busy here repealing non-discrimination ordinances so we can get our bathroom privileges back, let's not waste their time with more demands

...sorry, I'm still mad about that, trying to resolve it with not-entirely-accurate humor.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Well at least it isn't self-congratulatory back-patting.

Oh wait.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The repeal of that ordinance didn't actually change anything, right? It was made non-enforceable by HB2.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

http://abc11.com/politics/naacp-calls-for-boycott-of-nc-over-hb2;-cooper-disagrees/1668551/

The Democratic elect governor of North Carolina is urging a #BetterWay. Actually, we should not boycott his state. We should instead work to improve the economy of his state because boycotts are bad for his state's economy.

The NAACP is gearing up for a national boycott of the state in response to the HB2 repeal debacle, but over the course of the election and fallout afterward there are a bazillion other reasons they'd want to tell the state to gently caress off until they make some changes.

I'm shocked they weren't already boycotting the state, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

So when can we start calling out fair-weather allys?

• Locked thread