Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin

CarForumPoster posted:

I'm always a little annoyed when my colleagues ask why I left [big name tech company] for [big name tech company]. I wouldn't risk it. Also did they specifically tell you that or did you bring it up through google? I've always found the etiquette of that is to use it to name drop areas of common interest like mentioning you went to the same school or working in that you loved your mustang (knowing that they have a mustang they love as well). I would not ask specific questions that made it clear you googled them unless it is clearly advantageous to do so.

The HR guy specifically mentioned the names. I'll hold off on asking the question then. Thanks for the input

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Not really an interview/resume question but I dunno where else to ask: I was a very rushed hire in September and my supervisor works at another campus. We (especially he) were insanely busy all term and as a result I have never actually met him yet. Hell my interview was conducted via Skype and their camera was busted so I hardly know what the guy even looks like apart from his little Exchange profile icon.

Would it be weird to send an email asking if he has time to meet just for introductions now that the term is over and things have cooled a bit?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 16, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mak0rz posted:

Not really an interview/resume question but I dunno where else to ask: I was a very rushed hire in September and my supervisor works at another campus. We (especially he) were insanely busy all term and as a result I have never actually met him yet. Hell my interview was conducted via Skype and their camera was busted so I hardly know what the guy even looks like apart from his little Exchange profile icon.

Would it be weird to send an email asking if he has time to meet just for introductions now that the term is over and things have cooled a bit?

No that seems past due IMO.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CarForumPoster posted:

No that seems past due IMO.
Yeah, the fact that he hasn't asked for this himself is actually sort of a red flag IMO, but better late than never

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Unless there is a whole weird subspace of corporate culture I'm unaware of I'd totally email the guy and see if we could meet. Lunch, swing by his office, ECT. Hey it's been super busy but I wanted to actually meet and shake hands in person.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
So I originally started attending my college part time around 2010 while working. Took a couple of classes, but changed majors multiple times. Finally graduating next semester after I stopped pissing around, quit the lovely retail jobs I kept bouncing around, settled on a degree, and started attending full time.

A few of the classes I took in 2010 still applied to my degree in 2017. How do I put that on a resume? I didn't pick this major and start seriously taking classes until Jan 2016, but I took some of the gen-ed classes in 2010. I'm worried that saying it took me seven years to get an associates degree makes me look like an absolute idiot. Are employers going to "call me out" if I say Jan 2016 - April 2017?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I just put year off completion for my major/minor. Seems to be working out alright!

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Oh that makes way more sense. That's what I'll do.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Two questions, both a bit involved:

I recently left a job, and unfortunately it was on bad terms with my boss - he is a very abusive person, and one day I just got sick of his poo poo and walked out. I was already on the way out anyway, I'm moving to another city in a month and we'd already hired/trained my replacement. I have a ton of clients and several current/former coworkers that are willing to be very glowing references, but the boss himself I never want contact with again. In future interviews I plan to not even mention that at all, and just give my good references, but what's the protocol if the subject of him comes up? Should I avoid stating the fact that we left on bad terms at all costs? That's what I plan to do, as I think it's unlikely they'll talk to him even if they call the office, but I wanted to see if there's any other advice on that.

Second, I've got some time to job search before moving to the new city, and I want to bone up on my skills. I have a business management bachelors degree, and I worked at the former job for 6 years as an office manager, but the job I did there didn't quite match what office managers do at other companies. We only had 3-5 employees at any one time, and the bosses son handled the paperwork side of HR and accounting - I mostly spent my time on sales projects, customer service, managing the website, etc. Most office manager jobs require more time on HR and bookkeeping - I've done light bookkeeping in quickbooks in a previous job, and I have conducted interviews, but I've not practiced those skills for a while, and it's been a long time since college. I have some time now, so I'd like to find some books that get me up to speed so I can know what I'm talking about in interviews - I just need to find the right resources other than "Idiot's guides" and such (unless those are the best ones? I dunno). Does anyone have any suggestions for bookkeeping/HR resources?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Two questions, both a bit involved:

I recently left a job, and unfortunately it was on bad terms with my boss - he is a very abusive person, and one day I just got sick of his poo poo and walked out. I was already on the way out anyway, I'm moving to another city in a month and we'd already hired/trained my replacement. I have a ton of clients and several current/former coworkers that are willing to be very glowing references, but the boss himself I never want contact with again. In future interviews I plan to not even mention that at all, and just give my good references, but what's the protocol if the subject of him comes up? Should I avoid stating the fact that we left on bad terms at all costs? That's what I plan to do, as I think it's unlikely they'll talk to him even if they call the office, but I wanted to see if there's any other advice on that.

More of my .02 rather than advice but: I have a similar experience and I can't say it came up in any of the interviews I had after. I indicated on applications not to contact that employer if it was an option. When asked why I left I talked about other reasons. If someone specifically was to ask about the manager, as some coworkers have later now that I can be more honest, I tend to preface the story by saying I am facebook friends with all of my bosses...except this one. I think most people have had a bad boss or two in their life.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Second, I've got some time to job search before moving to the new city, and I want to bone up on my skills. I have a business management bachelors degree, and I worked at the former job for 6 years as an office manager, but the job I did there didn't quite match what office managers do at other companies. We only had 3-5 employees at any one time, and the bosses son handled the paperwork side of HR and accounting - I mostly spent my time on sales projects, customer service, managing the website, etc. Most office manager jobs require more time on HR and bookkeeping - I've done light bookkeeping in quickbooks in a previous job, and I have conducted interviews, but I've not practiced those skills for a while, and it's been a long time since college. I have some time now, so I'd like to find some books that get me up to speed so I can know what I'm talking about in interviews - I just need to find the right resources other than "Idiot's guides" and such (unless those are the best ones? I dunno). Does anyone have any suggestions for bookkeeping/HR resources?

I'm a fan of Lynda.com.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 20, 2016

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

CarForumPoster posted:

More of my .02 rather than advice but: I have a similar experience and I can't say it came up in any of the interviews I had after. I indicated on applications not to contact that employer if it was an option. When asked why I left I talked about other reasons. If someone specifically was to ask about the manager, as some coworkers have later now that I can be more honest, I tend to preface the story by saying I am facebook friends with all of my bosses...except this one. I think most people have had a bad boss or two in their life.

I'm a fan of Lynda.com.
I'm not planning on saying they can't contact them, but it's good to know that I don't have to lie if it comes up.

Thanks - Lynda.com looks like just what I'm looking for! I'll sign up for a free trial.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

In some cities, a library card can give free access to Lynda, so look into that as well.

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
After reading the OP, i'm wondering what should be in place of the objective statement?
i haven't been in IT for almost 3 years (working part time jobs and going back to school) so my resume is a lil outdated.
looking for an admin / noc esque position.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3ySgdKvsDvDV3NkamlBV3RYTzA/view?usp=sharing

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Spambort posted:

After reading the OP, i'm wondering what should be in place of the objective statement?
i haven't been in IT for almost 3 years (working part time jobs and going back to school) so my resume is a lil outdated.
looking for an admin / noc esque position.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3ySgdKvsDvDV3NkamlBV3RYTzA/view?usp=sharing

Just remove it.

The main problem with this resume is that for each job, it's just a base listing of responsibilities. You should show, in concrete terms, how you added value to the company.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I have some experience I want to put on my resume from a lab I worked in but, the lab has been taken over by someone else and the former PI left the country. The experience is incredibly relevant to the job I'm applying for however, I've tried for the last month to get in contact with the former PI without success. Whats the best way to go about including something like this in my resume?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

I have some experience I want to put on my resume from a lab I worked in but, the lab has been taken over by someone else and the former PI left the country. The experience is incredibly relevant to the job I'm applying for however, I've tried for the last month to get in contact with the former PI without success. Whats the best way to go about including something like this in my resume?

Just put it on your resume. Why do you need to contact anyone? If you want a reference from the former PI then you'd need to be able to provide contact information, but otherwise you just put the company on your resume as normal.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

asur posted:

Just put it on your resume. Why do you need to contact anyone? If you want a reference from the former PI then you'd need to be able to provide contact information, but otherwise you just put the company on your resume as normal.

I'm not sure basically this would be a departure from academia and the job I've applied for is a government job. I'm probably focused on something that doesn't matter but, I wanted other opinions.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm not sure basically this would be a departure from academia and the job I've applied for is a government job. I'm probably focused on something that doesn't matter but, I wanted other opinions.
If you're American, the government's main interest in a reference is making sure you worked the job you said you did, left on the terms you said you did, and (possibly) earned the salary you said you earned.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey goons,

I have a phone interview in the future but i've never done one before, i'm kind of scared as to how exactly to answer the phone when they. What do you guys reccomend?

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

Hey goons,

I have a phone interview in the future but i've never done one before, i'm kind of scared as to how exactly to answer the phone when they. What do you guys reccomend?

Hello?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That sounds a bit unproffesional

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Actually it sounds normal and human.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Hey goons,

Usually you call them, or call into a conference line. But yea, if they call you - I usually go with "Good afternoon/morning, this is *insert first name*"

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah, "hello, this is Bob?" is fine if you want something beyond "Hello?"

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Pretty much the entire purpose of a phone interview is to determine whether you're a (relatively) normal person.

You are probably overthinking it if you're worrying about the first words you're going to say when you pick up the phone. Look up the STAR method for answering questions they will ask you, research the company and have a normal relaxed conversation. HR people are very nice and cordial and if they aren't you wouldn't want to be hired by that company anyway.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

The people calling you are humans who know they are calling your personal phone so it's ok to say "hello" like you normally would. I have always gone with "this is Puppy Galaxy" when I know it's an interviewer.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cool thank you guys thats what I wanted to know :)

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
How would you categorize ongoing client work/side-gigs on a resume?

Some background- I do ongoing video production, photography, and marketing work on the side, in addition to my full-time job (media production for a large corporation). My resume has too much corporate-y experience on it, and I want to profile the work that I do with smaller, local business to reduce the corporate experience that dominates my resume. But I'm not sure what it should be called on my resume. Existing categories include:

• Experience
  • Skills
  • Education

Would "Client Work" be good for listing my side-gigs?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

melon cat posted:

How would you categorize ongoing client work/side-gigs on a resume?

Some background- I do ongoing video production, photography, and marketing work on the side, in addition to my full-time job (media production for a large corporation). My resume has too much corporate-y experience on it, and I want to profile the work that I do with smaller, local business to reduce the corporate experience that dominates my resume. But I'm not sure what it should be called on my resume. Existing categories include:

• Experience
  • Skills
  • Education

Would "Client Work" be good for listing my side-gigs?
If you do work under a business name just list the business name. If you do business under your own name, list the work under "Independent Consultant" or something similar. "Client Work" describes what you did, but not under whom.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I had a part time job from 2010-2012. Now I'm working full time at a different place with a different job title, but I'm doing literally the exact same stuff full-time. Between 2012 and now I had a couple of short (~4-month) contract gigs, one of which is relevant to the work I want to continue doing. What's a good way to organize this? Up until now my positions have been different enough to have distinct descriptions. Right now it's organized like this:

CURRENT JOB: 2016 - Present
CURRENT EMPLOYER, CURRENT CITY
- Did this
- Did that, etc.

CONTRACT JOB: 2015
CONTRACTOR, CITY
- Did the other thing
- Did some more stuff, etc.

PART-TIME JOB, 2010 - 2012
EMPLOYER, CITY
- A list of things that is, pretty much word for word, the same as current job except with a few different numbers

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I never finished college, though I have a history of doing well at many different jobs that unfortunately require no outstanding skills. I have displayed wonderful work ethic, a willingness to learn and adapt, and success at my (entry-level) positions, and although these traits were acknowledged it was typically in the form of 'the biggest pat on the back'. Aside from ~being employed~ I've never really done anything that looks good on a resume.
Until now.

I got a job through somebody I know and worked my way into a leadership position. I was so excited to finally have a chance for my hard work to shape my surroundings, to make a difference in my current situation and build towards my future. However, due to a change in ownership of the company, recognition of my position was delayed for months. Now I'm being told, despite promises, I will have to wait even longer, but if I'm a good boy for a year maybe I'll have a chance for an opportunity some time in the future 100% for sure. I'm also quite confident that this position is not in the new ownership's long term plan (for more reasons than my personal situation). What's worse, in my eagerness to finally have responsibility and prove myself, I've taken on extra responsibilities in a stressful job where, due to many different factors, I am surrounded by systemic failures that make it difficult for me to do my job well without fixing other people/department's mistakes.

I'm a little pissed, and I can't imagine staying here any longer.

My problem is that I will not technically receive any recognition for the leadership and responsibilities associated with my work-day, because my current job posting is no different from those who I direct. Yet it is the shining jewel on my resume of sandwich making and beer pouring. I fully intend to call myself 'acting-[blank]' at this company, but I'm not sure of the ramifications if I explain to a future employer all that I do and then communication from my current job indicates I am a bottom-tier employee. I am also concerned, given that it's advised not to speak poorly of your past job, how I will maneuver through questions regarding my current position without falling into a 'gently caress those guys how is that even loving legal' frothing rant.

Does anybody have any experience with a situation like this? I actually like having insurance and a 401k, and I actually like my job as well, but now I find the hard work I used to enjoy doing makes me feel terrible and is literally giving me bad dreams. I'm ready to go work at a gas station, so I don't want to blow any potential there is for me to find another real job and start enjoying life again.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 5, 2017

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

BRJohnson posted:

My problem is that I will not technically receive any recognition for the leadership and responsibilities associated with my work-day, because on paper I am no different from those who I direct.
This isn't true, because what should be on the paper is what you accomplished for the company, not a restatement of your job posting.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

There's no reason why you couldn't talk about the things you didn't like about your current/past job. You are after all looking for a new one!

Just keep it professional.

So don't tell the interviewer you want to slice your old bosses throat because he's a lying piece of poo poo that keeps screeing you over with false promises.

You can tell him that while you loved the work and extra reaponsibilities, you were hoping for carreer advancement, which seems to not be an option, even in the somewhat distant future.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Any tips for applying to a job out of state?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have to put together a portfolio but not a artistic one, I guess just a general one. Is there any tips? I was thinking just buying a three ring binder and printing off some articles that explain some things i've done in the past.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
How early is too early to apply for jobs? Due to finishing school and a wedding (mine) immediately after, I'm not going to be available until the end of May. Outside of summer seasonal positions, is there any point in applying for openings this early in the year? I'm mostly looking at education positions in zoos and aquariums.

I have to put together a portfolio but not a artistic one, I guess just a general one. Is there any tips? I was thinking just buying a three ring binder and printing off some articles that explain some things i've done in the past.

Make sure your presentation is professional. Drop money on a good looking binder, use quality plastic sleeves, maybe put in some kind of table of contents and tabs so people can easily find what they're interested in. Make sure things have labels/context.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I've got an interview coming up (or more depending how the first one goes) and one of the things people itt mentioned is: "always ask questions".

I got a few things I'd like to ask, but I recall someone posting a list of good things to ask during an interview some time ago. Of course I can't find that post anymore and I'm an idiot for not bookmarking it. Does anyone still have the list, so I can go over it and see if there's something I could use?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I have a spotty employment history due to long periods of unemployment and struggling towards a bachelor's degree with several major changes and never actually completing said degree.

However, I took a New York state civil service exam back in September, got my scores back recently, and have started receiving canvass letters requesting my resume. What can I do to play up my completely unrelated jobs and a 10-year-old associate's degree (also unrelated to being an office assistant)?

Right now, I'm doing laundry in an assisted living center, and the office assistant job would be roughly double the pay, state employee benefits instead of the lovely ones they have here, and not dealing with literal piss and poo poo.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

RabbitMage posted:

How early is too early to apply for jobs? Due to finishing school and a wedding (mine) immediately after, I'm not going to be available until the end of May. Outside of summer seasonal positions, is there any point in applying for openings this early in the year? I'm mostly looking at education positions in zoos and aquariums.

This May? It's definitely not too early as some companies start hiring upcoming graduates in the fall quarter. Anyone hiring for a new graduate position will expect to have to wait till summer for you to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

taiyoko posted:

I have a spotty employment history due to long periods of unemployment and struggling towards a bachelor's degree with several major changes and never actually completing said degree.

However, I took a New York state civil service exam back in September, got my scores back recently, and have started receiving canvass letters requesting my resume. What can I do to play up my completely unrelated jobs and a 10-year-old associate's degree (also unrelated to being an office assistant)?

Right now, I'm doing laundry in an assisted living center, and the office assistant job would be roughly double the pay, state employee benefits instead of the lovely ones they have here, and not dealing with literal piss and poo poo.

State you have the degree, don't tell them what you make. Visit the negotiating thread.

Present the facts accurately in the best light you can. Post a copy here for review if you want.