Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Attitude Indicator posted:

Talk about back seat fishing

Dude, I know how the gently caress my line is doing, have you seen me lose a catch yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Wait, and what the gently caress happened to the Immortal? Did he just kind of disappear after serving no purpose but to show you to the first dungeon?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Pretty much. He does nothing. He's there just for some exposition then goes off to "spy on the imperials", and shows up for the goodbye boat scene.

Maybe if he wasn't so lazy he could save everyone's favourite and most important character, Jared.

I think Talcott says he works with Iris hunting Daemons or trained Prompto and the others while Noctis was gone or something?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

pichupal posted:

Pretty much. He does nothing. He's there just for some exposition then goes off to "spy on the imperials", and shows up for the goodbye boat scene.

Maybe if he wasn't so lazy he could save everyone's favourite and most important character, Jared.

I think Talcott says he works with Iris hunting Daemons or trained Prompto and the others while Noctis was gone or something?

I'm still kind of sore that we didn't get to meed Cor, Iris or Cindy in the world of ruin. I wonder if the original plan was to let you roam around and hunt daemons.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Renoistic posted:

I'm still kind of sore that we didn't get to meed Cor, Iris or Cindy in the world of ruin. I wonder if the original plan was to let you roam around and hunt daemons.

Probably going to be the DLC labeled "Expansion Pack."

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Probably going to be the DLC labeled "Expansion Pack."

That's the only DLC I want out of the game - basically make it into a "Souls"-vibe and let you spend quality time in that version of the world.

By the way, has anyone messed around with the whole World of Ruin part of the game - how much can you actually roam, on foot, before the truck cutscene kicks in and transports you to the closed-off Hammerhead station? If you're crazily leveled can you actually free roam and kill those insane daemons? How far into the world can you get?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Transistor Rhythm posted:

That's the only DLC I want out of the game - basically make it into a "Souls"-vibe and let you spend quality time in that version of the world.

By the way, has anyone messed around with the whole World of Ruin part of the game - how much can you actually roam, on foot, before the truck cutscene kicks in and transports you to the closed-off Hammerhead station? If you're crazily leveled can you actually free roam and kill those insane daemons? How far into the world can you get?

the section you're in is extremely gated so you can't go very far before the car scene triggers.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

the section you're in is extremely gated so you can't go very far before the car scene triggers.

Basically the beach around Galdin, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Basically the beach around Galdin, right?

Yeah, that's about it. I'm sure someone might figure out a way to clip out of it but I wouldn't be surprised if nothing meaningfully exists outside that area.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The thing that bothers me the most about that part, is that you have Demon Wall... daemons around the arches in that area, but then there's specifically a part in Chapter 13 where there's a wall coming at you getting ready to crush you and it's just some lame normal rear end wall.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Getting the Perfect Sphere Master trophy sure is a soulless task.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Why even bother? Plat in FFX is a terrible horrible idea.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

There's plenty of souls involved! :haw:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

Maxing luck?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Meridian posted:

Maxing luck?

gently caress that.

Using the expert sphere grid, I've moved Tidus, Auron and Yuna across the whole grid. Now I'm just farming spheres to plug the holes. Once that's done, I'll move the other people across the grid. I'll max strength/magic/defense/accuracy/agility/magic defense/evasion at 255 and then just plug any remaining holes with Luck.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I dropped the PC version of FFVII for the time being when I got stuck in Junon and that loving music never let up. Is there any other level in the game which is just plain obnoxious?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Every FF game on Steam is 50% off right now, besides X/X-2 at 40% off. First sales in particular for 9 and the 10 duo on Steam since their respective releases.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I dropped the PC version of FFVII for the time being when I got stuck in Junon and that loving music never let up. Is there any other level in the game which is just plain obnoxious?

Not that I can remember but then again I love Rufus' Welcome Parade so v0v

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fun Fact: the marching minigame is literally impossible on mouse and keyboard.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's loving impossible with a controller too

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i don't actually know how to do the marching minigame and i somehow got passed that part without cheating

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
But you can't fail the march anyway?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

But you can't fail the march anyway?

i think you can fail to join the parade in the beginning if your timing is way off, and you have to keep doing it until you get it. Also that music is awful, i don't know why its so popular that they felt the need to use it again in both 9 and 15.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Attitude Indicator posted:

i think you can fail to join the parade in the beginning if your timing is way off, and you have to keep doing it until you get it. Also that music is awful, i don't know why its so popular that they felt the need to use it again in both 9 and 15.

I'm surprised and deeply upset no one's done an all-kazoo cover of that song yet.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

it would probably be an improvement

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mega64 posted:

Why even bother? Plat in FFX is a terrible horrible idea.

The game should come with a warning label about this.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Replaying XIII for the first time in 8 years I forgot how hilariously Lightning hates Snow.

"This is the worst birthday ever!" Followed by her giving Hope a special Snow stabbing knife.

I just want a Brotherhood style spinoff of Serah first introducing Snow to Lightning and her reaction.

Like Meet the Parents but with Lightning as De Niro

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Mega64 posted:

Every FF game on Steam is 50% off right now, besides X/X-2 at 40% off. First sales in particular for 9 and the 10 duo on Steam since their respective releases.

Tempted to buy 9 because its one serious flaw imo is how horrendously slow the game is, and Steam release has a speed up option

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

Tempted to buy 9 because its one serious flaw imo is how horrendously slow the game is, and Steam release has a speed up option

It is still unbelievably slow with this option

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

If that bugged you, probably the Gold Saucer, then nothing for awhile.

Nice thing about Junon is it's relatively quick. Once you've reached the upper side you're nearly on your way.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Barudak posted:

It is still unbelievably slow with this option

Yeah, this is what I thought, but it's still disappointing to hear

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ROFL Octopus posted:

Yeah, this is what I thought, but it's still disappointing to hear

It's not at all though? The x4 speed makes the game so fast it's almost uncontrollable and the x2 is basically perfect for fixing the slowness of 9's battle system.

The PC port of 9 is worth getting if you think you might ever want to play 9 again.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

That song's great though. I think you might just be bad.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As I said in the FFVIII LP thread, I think VIII should have IX's reputation for being unbearably slow. Now as was pointed out to me in VIII most people don't realize how tedious literally everything is because they just mash X. Junctions mean you can easily melee everything to death. Bit if you try to use magic or other abilities, or if you actually die or get hit with status ailments, it becomes apparent just how much they wanted you to see everything. In VII when someone was KO'ed they just instantly hit the dirt. In VIII, they have to go through several animations to fall down or to get back up. "Graphics! We have graphics!" someone at Square cried, unaware of how boring all this poo poo gets.

Having replayed VII, VIII and IX lately, I think VII is just fine in terms of speed, IX is a bit slow but decent and FFVIII is well. my least favorite game in the franchise.

(although I think it was ApplesandOranges who said in the FFVIIILP that IX's battle theme being "slow" might have contributed to the impression the game is slower than it actually is. That was an interesting point)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Didn't you put like hundreds of hours into a FFVIII hard mode hack though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When I first played FF8 I was still in the mindset that the 'right' way to play it was to spam your GF's over and over again, I must have doubled my playtime.
Like I knew how junctioning worked but I just used to put whatever spells I got naturally in whatever gave me the biggest numbers instead of deliberately abusing it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Didn't you put like hundreds of hours into a FFVIII hard mode hack though

Yes because it was exciting, as most new things are. I had never done Triple Triad, refining, chocobo forests, etc... The mod actually made me play the game.

But having tried to replay it again, I gave up because I realized it's just not fun. Without that mystical "seeing and doing new stuff" aura, it's a loving slog.

By contrast, I've beaten IX a few different times with a couple different gameplay mods. Plus I want to get it on Steam to play it again with this mod that puts Beatrix in your party. I beat the console version of this mod but not Steam. I know most here don't go in for "hard mods" but this really was more of a re-balance mod with some nifty new alterations to gameplay. I found it nice and challenging, as opposed to frustrating.

In the meantime though, I think I've had more fun in my first 5 hours of playing SMT Strange Journey than I did in all those hours of FFVIII.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

The mod actually made me play the game.

That there might be the dumbest thing I've read. The only mod you need to enjoy FF8...

...is Mods de Chocobo. :coal:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is Beatrix the only FF character whom you fight in a battle but never actually beat in a fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Technically, you don't actually beat Kuja, either.