Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

minivanmegafun posted:

I don't buy bleepity bloop computer music on vinyl because that's a dumb thing to do but that picture disk is great

The actual album has red and blue color records. That picture disk was a pre order extra that only has one song on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4wptBuM6zs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Pingiivi posted:

The actual album has red and blue color records. That picture disk was a pre order extra that only has one song on it.

Holy poo poo. 15 minutes?! Of that? I can see using that as a "closing time get the gently caress out out of the bar" song though.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pingiivi posted:

loving hell :chloe:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Glad that took up time at the pressing plant lmao

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
yeah that pressing plant could have been pressing some other stupid bullshit it's hosed up that they pressed this it's an outrage

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

stay depressed posted:

yeah that pressing plant could have been pressing some other stupid bullshit it's hosed up that they pressed this it's an outrage

Actually, it's the good poo poo

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

stay depressed posted:

I am enraged.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
let's not kid ourselves we all know undertale is the good poo poo

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
[clapping emoji] to all the tryhards showing off about hating undertale good job guys i see you [eyes emoji]

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
lol

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
all the best records are hand etched by the artists themselves, anything else is just mass market crap trying to cash in on this dead medium being trendy. Let the plebs have their game music I say
http://ghost-ramp.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/pre-order-nuclear-throne-ost-deluxe-double-lp?variant=29602809677

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'd probably buy the soundtrack to Severed, but that's because Yamantaka // Sonic Titan is fuckin' dope.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

stay depressed posted:

let's not kid ourselves we all know undertale is the good poo poo

:shittydog:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
That song is a pretty bullshit version of LilNiceWolf's best work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu-0UcAzJaI

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

I'd probably buy the soundtrack to Severed, but that's because Yamantaka // Sonic Titan is fuckin' dope.

You just inadvertently helped me by talking about this, because I was trying to remember the name of Yamantaka //Sonic Titan and couldn't for the life of me, even tried the help me find this song thread. So thanks!

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I bought my first record today. Or at least I was about to. I went to help my mother with the big Christmas shop, and used it as an excuse to check out a (pretty great) record store. I had an album picked because I saw the artist live a few months ago and was worried it could sell out. I've been eyeing it up for a month and part of offering to help with the shopping was knowing holding it in my hands would convince me to go the vinyl route. My mother walked in, "Oh, that'll work as a Christmas present for you." So now Santa is bringing me Brigid Mae Power's self titled album. I pointed out that I don't have the actual record player yet, and the store owner helpfully pointed out that they had some if Santa wanted to help. Santa said the record on its own was plenty.

And that is something I've noticed. Everyone I know who buys records was buying the records before they owned an actual player. I'm a bit further on because I've ordered the speakers and have the amp, it's just saving for the actual player first. I've seen a second hand 90's JVC player going for €50, but the pawn shop was saying it's just a generic low-end commercial player. The record store sells the Rega Planar 1 for €299. So now I have to decide if I want a probably pretty crappy €50 and save the equivalent of 10 records, or save €299 and have one record.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Buy the JVC and a new cartridge. Don't be stupid.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I hook an NES up to my receiver and let games run so I can experience 8 bit music the way it was meant to be heard.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

my summer at fat camp posted:

Yeah. Make sure you can switch the needle. Some of those lower end ninety's tables don't have that option.

I have a $90 audio technica and it works fine. Before that it was a $90 Sony that lasted for 10 years. (Actually it still works.) Before that it was hand me downs and thrift store tables. That Rega is belt drive. Only way I'm paying over 200 is if it is a direct drive. Buy a cheap table to start. Then once the vinyl fad dies you won't feel as dumb. Congrats on yer first piece of wax btw.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 24, 2016

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

There is a new record store on the way home from work. Stopped in to check it out. :homebrew: They were playing Moondog Monologue. Oh hey I've been looking for that...$100 original pressing... nevermind. But it was a cool little store and I picked up more than I intended but that's the way it always goes.

Don't know much about this one but my friend played it on my show this week and it was the first record I saw in the new arrivals so I had to snag it.

...and right after that I found one of my favorite Kinks records.

A Mondo record at a super low price. Played a couple of songs at the listening station. Weird and funky so I snagged it. It will make good segue music.

Cheap wax. Good poo poo

Light in the Attic had a small sale on their website and I snagged a couple.

My favorite Roky Erickson.

Holy poo poo that etching.

And that is why I have no money. Doesn't help that my wife is a total enabler. I'll be looking at something, mention how cool it is, mention that it is too expensive, and then she is just like, "You should get it."

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

sporklift posted:

Holy poo poo that etching.

Nice shot, etched vinyl is tough to capture. I might have to get one of those commemorative plate stands or whatever that is you've got there.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

my summer at fat camp posted:

The wholesome, helpful, direct advice I was looking for. I'll be able to get a few more records.

They had another one, but it was more modern with USB and phono built in, so I'm presuming since it was the same price with more stuff it's less good.

sporklift posted:

Yeah. Make sure you can switch the needle. Some of those lower end ninety's tables don't have that option.

How do I go about checking all that out: changing cartridges and needles? I looked at my parent's ancient non-separate's hifi system that broke and I couldn't figure it out. And how do I know what's compatible?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Mrenda posted:

The wholesome, helpful, direct advice I was looking for. I'll be able to get a few more records.

They had another one, but it was more modern with USB and phono built in, so I'm presuming since it was the same price with more stuff it's less good.

How do I go about checking all that out: changing cartridges and needles? I looked at my parent's ancient non-separate's hifi system that broke and I couldn't figure it out. And how do I know what's compatible?

Look up the model number, then look up replacement cartridge on Google.

I have this.

https://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-...words=Turntable

It plays records. It's not too expensive.

I do plan on upgrading but I keep spending that money on records.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

sporklift posted:

I have this.

Locally they're selling that for €160, and it's £100 on Amazon. With the recent vinyl boom there's Crosleys and the like available everywhere, but once you get into the Audio Technica stuff they're charging a huge premium compared to what it was a few years ago. At €160 it's easier to save up that little bit extra and order something that something that bit better from the UK.

If I was going new I'd probably get a Project of some form online. It seems like I'd be compromising with a record player that has the phone stage built in, and usb out. I don't need either with the amp I have, even if it's not winning awards for the phono element to it.

I'll check out the JVC first. If I can get a new cartridge and needle for it I'll go with that and spend the rest on records.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
they're all fine don't trick yourself into thinking your first record player needs to cost hundreds of dollars, it doesn't and it shouldn't

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

sporklift posted:

Look up the model number, then look up replacement cartridge on Google.

I have this.

I do plan on upgrading but I keep spending that money on records.

This is the same model I have and I like it quite a bit for these exact same reasons. Plus, I spend the money I'd spend on an upgrade on more records.

Here was my life cycle as a vinyl collector:

1. "Hey, I own like 10 records. Maybe I should have some way to play them."
2. "OK, I have a turntable, I guess I need more records. I'm only buying music I'll listen to over and over."
3. "And music I have really good memories of."
4. "And collector's garbage from Mondo."
5. "Hey, my record collection is worth a sizable portion of my 401k."

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Visitor soundtrack is awesome and the movie rules: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0vBRdplSps

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

How about this for bleepity bloop computer music?

Had no idea these re-presses were a thing when I walked into the record store. Super tempted to go back for Incunabula and Amber.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 24, 2016

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Peas and Rice posted:

Here was my life cycle as a vinyl collector:

1. "Hey, I own like 10 records. Maybe I should have some way to play them."
2. "OK, I have a turntable, I guess I need more records. I'm only buying music I'll listen to over and over."
3. "And music I have really good memories of."
4. "And collector's garbage from Mondo."
5. "Hey, my record collection is worth a sizable portion of my 401k."

I was lucky in my vinyl acquisitions. I started buying in the 90's when everyone was dumping theirs and replacing them with CDs. I was able to get tons of classic rock stuff for super cheap. I also had friends that worked in record stores so I would get hooked up. A few of my friends were DJ's at clubs around town, but we ended up starting some DJ nights at dive bars and just tried to one up each other with weird stuff. I actually fell out of collecting for the past few years and after moving 1000+ records a couple times was seriously considering getting rid of all of it. (I like to tell people I bought a house for my records with the bonus that I get to live there) I started filling in for a friend on his internet radio show and so I'm back to crate digging. The landscape has changed a lot. On the one hand it is nice to grab some of the more esoteric re-issues but on the other hand the price increase seems to average about $10 for new records.

http://www.musicismysanctuary.com/crate-digging-dont-do-it

caligulamprey posted:

The Visitor soundtrack is awesome and the movie rules: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0vBRdplSps

Yes. Yes it does. I had forgotten that I actually started watching this movie but I don't think I ever finished it.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -