Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

LongDarkNight posted:

Do we have a thread for Armada? I played it once but would like to get a better overall idea of how it plays.

We share the "Fantasy Flight and Star Wars" thread with the Imperial Assault and Star Wars Destiny guys. You'll find your Armada discussion there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stan Taylor posted:

This is a dumb question, but I recently saw a Kickstarter or something for a fold up table with a felt top and some other features being sold as a gaming table and I was awfully intrigued. The collapsible card table I have is a bit on the small side for certain games, and we don't have enough room in the apartment to have a big honking game table taking up a bunch of space.

I probably should just get a larger cheapo card table, but the felt top seems so nice!

Just get a used pool table on Craigslist list. People give them away for free, and they are perfect gaming tables. Already covered in felt, and recessed, with pockets that easily become drink holders (keep the beers away from the board!).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Stan Taylor posted:

This is a dumb question, but I recently saw a Kickstarter or something for a fold up table with a felt top and some other features being sold as a gaming table and I was awfully intrigued. The collapsible card table I have is a bit on the small side for certain games, and we don't have enough room in the apartment to have a big honking game table taking up a bunch of space.

I probably should just get a larger cheapo card table, but the felt top seems so nice!

What are your budget limits, required dimensions, and required features? Sounds like you need a table of substantial size (define this) that is in some way collapsible? How much storage do you have for a collapsible table?

Your cheapest option is to upholster your card table with felt by (probably) removing the leg apparatus, covering the top with felt and stapling it into the bottom, then reattaching the legs. Boom, felt card table.

But if you want something more significant, that's something that should take some thought.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rutibex posted:

Just get a used pool table on Craigslist list. People give them away for free, and they are perfect gaming tables. Already covered in felt, and recessed, with pockets that easily become drink holders (keep the beers away from the board!).

whitetrash.txt

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

whitetrash.txt

I'm sorry, I'll bring some wine coolers for you.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

My family loves Empire Builder, what 18xx should I get them?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Loel posted:

Probably none of them. They're 4+ hour heavy games with a lot of arithmetic, probably longer with newbies . Maybe Railways of the World or something? I'm not up on my lighter train games.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Loel posted:

cenotaph is probably right, but in case you still want to get one, 1846 just re-released by GMT is a solid one for people coming from a game without stock shenanigans. More of a focus on building a good company instead of manipulating the hell out of stock prices and depleting companies of their resources before getting rid of them to hapless investors.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
hey, it could be meth:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

T-Bone posted:

hey, it could be meth:

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
For those interested in Lord of the Rings and/or hidden movement games like Letters from Whitechapel, Ares games just put the first preview for The Hunt for the Ring on their website! I didn't realize it was being co-designed by the designer of Letters from Whitechapel (Gabriele Mari), too, so that's pretty awesome.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Broken Loose posted:

There was an Indie Boards & Cards KS version of Coup that had different artwork for each of the different Dukes, Captains, Assassins, etc. It absolutely hurts the game and wasn't intended by the original designer. If you're making your own copy of Coup, it's highly recommended that all copies of each character be completely identical.

poo poo, is that the so-called Brazilian art version? Cause I bought that at Essen this year :argh:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
This reminds me, I really need to get Ponzi Scheme before supplies dry up completely.

Also, how many games are this/how close are you to 200?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

theroachman posted:

poo poo, is that the so-called Brazilian art version? Cause I bought that at Essen this year :argh:

No, you got the best version.

The version I'm talking about looks just like the US generic cyberpunk version, since that's the one published by Indie Boards & Cards.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
wait gently caress no i mean you got the lovely version send it to me tia

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
wait what the gently caress ib&g kickstarted a version of that one too? what loving scummy slimeballs

if you got the ib&g one with the unique character art, you should also have enough cards for a full set without unique art in the box

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Uh the best art is the Polish edition

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Agreed, holy poo poo that's great.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Taran_Wanderer posted:

For those interested in Lord of the Rings and/or hidden movement games like Letters from Whitechapel, Ares games just put the first preview for The Hunt for the Ring on their website! I didn't realize it was being co-designed by the designer of Letters from Whitechapel (Gabriele Mari), too, so that's pretty awesome.

Ares were also behind The Last Friday, as I recall. Different designer, though.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

StashAugustine posted:

That's cool as poo poo

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

StashAugustine posted:

Best art, but worst iconography.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Wife's turn at game night, so I took the kid home, put him to bed, gonna play a solo game of fea...oh right I told her to bring it to game night so she could play it. Oh well.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Wizard Styles posted:

This reminds me, I really need to get Ponzi Scheme before supplies dry up completely.

Also, how many games are this/how close are you to 200?

Not sure, BGG has all my expansions listed (a lot of those games have expansions in the main box) but there are also quite a few small box games in the top left shelf. I also have some stuff that didn't make the cut that I'll be selling and some old Hasbro stuff in the basement, and a few games I've been waiting on delivery for since like last year (Great Zimbabwe/Gloomhaven).

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Gutter Owl posted:

Best art, but worst iconography.

I get what they're going for, but holy crap are those icons hard to parse. Contessa is barely descriptive, counter-actions aren't clear at all, and the whole heirarchy thing speaks to a very weird way of teaching the game.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It's a very contemporary theming. It makes sense the way BGG explains it, but it's not nearly as obvious as regular coup. I like the original titles better.

quote:

You can appeal to the US and Obama for aid. They don't provide much, but they will support any faction that claims to be friendly and you don't need to commit yourself to anything. (Income)

You can get the support of the local oligarchs who have accumulated huge wealth after the collapse of the Soviet Union in gobbling up state industries and running monopolistic enterprises, they will help your cause, but beware they are in the thrall of Putin. They are not going to help you if Russia is against you. Personally too risky for them. (Foreign Aid )

Russia is the big boy in the area. Flush with oil and gas supplied by pipeline into your country, they can open the taps and pour significant money to help you if you are an ally. Putin is the face of Russia. (Duke)

But what use is oil against your own people. Protesters can be organized to take to the street for a better life, to reduce corruption, for democracy... and you can paint your rivals as puppets, or fascists, that stand in their way. It takes money to organize a protest, but there's no stopping the people in their march for democratic freedom. ( Assassin)

Well actually there is a way to calm and defuse protests. Get the help of the European Union, extending the hand of civilization and the promise of a brighter future. What eager, hopeful young protester is going to riot against your faction if they can see you have the support of the EU. If they support you, you must be one of the good guys. Angela Merkel is the face of EU (Contessa)

Then again all these political alliances are nice, but sometimes you just want big hobnailed boots on the ground supporting you. Controlling the police means that you can shakedown your opponents and protects you from being bullied by them. (Captain)

As this is all being played out on the world stage, sending in the state thugs to rough up your opponents won't work if they control the eyes of the media. No police force is going to go too far with a camera crew watching. Not only does the media protect you from the excess of the state, but it conveniently allows you to re-invent yourself. You were Putin's lad yesterday - now you're a man of the people. Spin can help you re-set your agenda and find new allies (Ambassador).

For the expansion, you can ask the UN for help. With their international legitimacy, you can rebrand yourself or even re-invent another power player without their will. And the police will not dare try a shakedown with UN inspectors watching. With Russia, Germany, and America already represented in other places in the game, they've put former UK Ambassador to the UN, Sir Mark Justin Lyall Grant, as the face of the UN (Inquisitor).

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
No, no, I mean the heirarchy icons at the bottoms of the cards.

If the icons were > arrows instead of ► arrows, it wouldn't be so confusing. Right now it looks like a weird resolution order instead of a simple system of what beats what. Also, the icon for "Cancel the effect of" looks really close to "Lose 1 Influence" in a logical sense.

I actually adore the theme.

edit: I'm willing to admit that it probably reads a lot better in its native language, as if the syntax of the sentences those actions describe reads closer than the English versions, I'd think it better.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Did another solo AffO game and got 116. It's kind of annoying because it's borderline good score but not quite great. Luckily I feel I know where I made most of my mistakes. I emigrated three times, did some whaling and some plundering, but mostly just filling out exploration boards. I took Iceland, Bear Island, and another one that I don't remember the name of. I am pretty sure that if I had better optimized my last two turns I could have had a really nice score. The balancing act at the end of the game is really fun and challenging. You have to guess what size pieces you'll need, and how many green pieces you can get away with having.

This is the second game now where I considered taking Newfoundland on the second to last turn, and ended up just barely not doing it, then realizing if I had it would have netted me a much higher score.

I ended up with one big fat green cloak I couldn't fit anywhere on a board, and I had some negative spaces on two of my islands that I couldn't cover. With some better optimization, I think just grabbing Newfoundland and throwing some green poo poo onto the negatives would have pushed me into 120-130 range.

I also had a pretty big food surplus, and I ended up not taking any houses simply because they eat up a lot of vikings and resources, and it feels like doing them late game is inefficient due to the way bonuses work on them. Probably I should have squeezes a house in early if I wanted to do that. I pretty much have ended up having leftover food at the end of most games though, so that's something I can work on in future plays.

Tomorrow a bunch of family is coming over and I'm going to try to get people to play Codenames. I've never played it myself but think it could go over well. If it totally bombs I wouldn't really care since it's family, but I also don't want to "force it" if no one seems like they actually want to play anything.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Codenames always goes over well. It's a great game.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i'm going to try and get my family to play Mysterium, Sushi Go! and Codenames tomorrow

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I have a copy of Codenames all done up in wrapping paper and ready to go. Should be good!

Texibus
May 18, 2008

bowmore posted:

i'm going to try and get my family to play Mysterium, Sushi Go! and Codenames tomorrow

Mysterium is good

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Texibus posted:

Mysterium is good
indeed

if they are skeptical I will show them this post

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Also, I taught a bunch of 50 year old who only play monopoly and euchre pretty easily just this past evening and after some mumbling they all had a great time.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I am expecting quite a bit of mumbling

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

bowmore posted:

Are you me? I've also packed, somewhat optimistically, Captain Sonar.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fat Samurai posted:

Are you me? I've also packed, somewhat optimistically, Captain Sonar.
yes, hello second account

captain sonar won't work because we only have like 4 family members remember

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

bowmore posted:

yes, hello second account

captain sonar won't work because we only have like 4 family members remember

If I can schizophrenicly be two people so can they :colbert:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fat Samurai posted:

If I can schizophrenicly be two people so can they :colbert:
we will make them be two people :angel:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm going to stop by the FLGS today to pick up Settlers of Catan and maybe Ticket To Ride to play with family. Any other recommendations? They rarely play anything more complex than Farkle or CaH and I want to ease them into easier stuff. I may be getting Machi Koro as a gift as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm going to stop by the FLGS today to pick up Settlers of Catan and maybe Ticket To Ride to play with family. Any other recommendations? They rarely play anything more complex than Farkle or CaH and I want to ease them into easier stuff. I may be getting Machi Koro as a gift as well.

Carcasonne. I wouldn't bother with Catan as it's far too easy to get hosed by bad rolls, especially if you've no experience with the game and put your starting settlements in bad placed..