Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Like a lot of origin movies, the final action climax is whatever, but I just love how strong an arc Bruce is given. You really get to know him as a character, something no Batman movie had accomplished before. The movie could end after the car chase scene and I'd be fine with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

SonicRulez posted:

I prefer it to Rises, but something stops it from being great. Maybe the climax with Ra's? I'd have to rewatch if.

-The huge gaping plothole with how they plan to spread the fear toxin.
-The focus on Batman's "no killing" philosophy, while he kills people/lets them die.
-Katie Holmes.
-Batman voice, albeit the least dumb Batman voice out of the Nolan movies.

Everything else is great about the movie.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lurdiak posted:

My mom's hot.

Microwave?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Phylodox posted:

Ahem...Brother Numpsay! Dear, sweet brother Numpsay!

He was Chandler's brother. He's my 8th cousin twice removed.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I prefer getting a swift kick in the ribs to Rises so Begins is alright

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A couple more movies that fit into the "post-Blade" style that I think are often forgotten today: the Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider movies.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Oh absolutely. Pity about the sequels.

And the comic.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The original comic is an interesting look at someone's personal fallout from grief. The million 'sequels' and adaptations it had largely miss the point, but the general principle is fine.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jamesman posted:

-The focus on Batman's "no killing" philosophy, while he kills people/lets them die.
-Katie Holmes.

Everything else is great about the movie.

Agreed on all parts

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

-Katie Holmes.

I would add the terrible exposition doofuses at the water plant who we keep cutting to during the monorail fight.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jamesman posted:

The plan was to dump it all in the city sewers, then use the stolen Wayne microwave tech to vaporize it and have everyone go nuts. Am I forgetting something? I haven't seen it in years, tbf.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The plan was to dump it all in the city sewers, then use the stolen Wayne microwave tech to vaporize it and have everyone go nuts. Am I forgetting something? I haven't seen it in years, tbf.

You're not. They were dumping it in the sewers at the asylum, and then were taking that microwave thing to Wayne tower, which was at the very center of the sewer network and was going to vaporize all the water in the city.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They'd been dumping it in the city's water for some time, and all that was needed to trigger the toxin was for it to be in vapor form and breathed in.

Somehow nobody ever used the water in such a way themselves. Not one person in Gotham ever used a humidifier or made themselves a cup of tea or even took a shower.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or normal plumbing heat isn't enough to turn the chemical to gas.

There's no bio attack whenever you take a shower in your fluorinated water, is there?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
A supervillain plan that doesn't conform 100% to the laws of physics in every conceivable scenario??? There's no way i can take this seriously

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Or normal plumbing heat isn't enough to turn the chemical to gas.

There's no bio attack whenever you take a shower in your fluorinated water, is there?

site posted:

A supervillain plan that doesn't conform 100% to the laws of physics in every conceivable scenario??? There's no way i can take this seriously

If it didn't bother you, that's great. Please continue to not let it bother you and/or explain why it's feasible. But this movie went through a lot of effort to explain things and break them down in a way that made them seem grounded in reality, so having a major situation glossed over really jumped out at myself and many others. You were almost dared to question it.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
It's a comic book movie. Things don't have to be 100% logical, even if it's something more realistic like Batman.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamesman posted:

If it didn't bother you, that's great. Please continue to not let it bother you and/or explain why it's feasible. But this movie went through a lot of effort to explain things and break them down in a way that made them seem grounded in reality, so having a major situation glossed over really jumped out at myself and many others. You were almost dared to question it.

No I think the people wondering why hot water doesn't activate what they need a microwave generator to do are the odd ones out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

pubic works project posted:

It's a comic book movie. Things don't have to be 100% logical, even if it's something more realistic like Batman.

You're confusing logic with idiocy. If someone writes something that doesn't make sense, it doesn't get a pass because it's a superhero movie.

But really, chill out guys. I LIKED Batman Begins. We were talking about things that hold it back from being super-super-great. You don't need to defend its honor to me. Besides, I mentioned three other things there; Anyone wanna speak up for Katie Holmes or something?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Isn't the bigger plothole that that amount of microwaves would just melt everyone.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, people are 75 percent water, so if it's pumping out enough microwaves to flash-boil all the water around it in pipes, people are gonna have a real bad time.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jamesman posted:

A wizard did it

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
A better question is if you wanna devastate a city and you have a giant microwave death ray...why not just cut out the middle man? Or middle scarecrow, in this case, I guess.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't the bigger plothole that that amount of microwaves would just melt everyone.

Nah, that's just a supervillain origin story. Unfortunately Batman vs the Cancerous Goo People never got greenlit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, people are 75 percent water, so if it's pumping out enough microwaves to flash-boil all the water around it in pipes, people are gonna have a real bad time.

You can aim it.

It would only incinerate anyone under the tracks, and those are mostly the homeless so nobody will miss them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jamesman posted:

But really, chill out guys.

Yes we are mad

About this

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

You can aim it.

It would only incinerate anyone under the tracks, and those are mostly the homeless so nobody will miss them.

Man, no need to dump it into the water supply, then, just put it in water bottles, give those to the homeless, and voila! It'll be a panic attack twofer of exploding homeless people releasing fear toxin!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

site posted:

Yes we are mad

About this

Didn't say mad. This just isn't worth harping over is all I meant.

Batman Begins is a great movie with a few flaws that drag it down.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My dad thought he'd rented the wrong movie when Batman Begins started with this weird tibetan prison scene. So Batman Begins owns forever.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Jamesman posted:

You're confusing logic with idiocy. If someone writes something that doesn't make sense, it doesn't get a pass because it's a superhero movie.

But really, chill out guys. I LIKED Batman Begins. We were talking about things that hold it back from being super-super-great. You don't need to defend its honor to me. Besides, I mentioned three other things there; Anyone wanna speak up for Katie Holmes or something?

Lol I really don't care one way or the other. Aside from Katie Holmes, I loved the movie. But I'm one of those guys that overlooks the small errors/plotholes when overall I enjoy the movie. *shrugs*

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's weird and out of place they had the one shot that really emphasized Rachel's nipples poking through her shirt. It's like they said "Spider-Man did this our movie also has to do this"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Katie Holmes' nipples were in a lot more than that one scene. I think they were billed higher than Morgan Freeman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The actress who played Rachel in Dark Knight was better than Katie Holmes but they filmed her in a really unflattering way to try to hide her pregnancy.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Really? I never knew that. I think Holmes is prettier than Gyllenhal though.

Wheat Loaf posted:

A couple more movies that fit into the "post-Blade" style that I think are often forgotten today: the Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider movies.

I think these movies were my first experience with Angelina Jolie. I remember Tomb Raider only vaguely as a game my uncle had that was way too hard.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Really? I never knew that. I think Holmes is prettier than Gyllenhal though.

I think so too but Gyllenhal looks really rough in TDK, both from the pregnancy itself and them trying to hide it. She usually looks better. Not that it's a huge deal to have a love interest that isn't drop dead gorgeous, but it was a little distracting the first time I saw it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Maggie Gyllenhal always looks like she's melting. Should've been Clayface.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I think so too but Gyllenhal looks really rough in TDK, both from the pregnancy itself and them trying to hide it. She usually looks better. Not that it's a huge deal to have a love interest that isn't drop dead gorgeous, but it was a little distracting the first time I saw it.

I really like that in The Matrix, Trinity doesn't look conventionally attractive, at least not in the face. She's really cute and cool but I dunno, I just feel like she looks like an ordinary person and it's neat.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

pee out my butt posted:

Maggie Gyllenhal always looks like she's melting. Should've been Clayface.

She would make a fantastic Droopy Dog.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
She's a babe.

The best Batman movies find ways to accentuate the nipple in myriad ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

I really like that in The Matrix, Trinity doesn't look conventionally attractive, at least not in the face. She's really cute and cool but I dunno, I just feel like she looks like an ordinary person and it's neat.

I love Carrie Anne Moss. She just did a turn in Humans and she still looks great.

• Locked thread