Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I gotta say I'm really enjoying FIFA 17, both from a basic gameplay situation and for The Journey. The Journey is easily NBA 2K myCareer calibre and not going in a straight line towards superstar is refreshing. Maybe you do if you play better than I do though, I dunno.

Game looks and plays great. Much more accessible than FIFA 14 or anything prior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym9Exxkp5MM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Feenix posted:

I played 1 super late. (Probably whatever the All-DLC and game for 30 dollars PSN flash sale was... I really liked it.

Is 2 better?

But I wonder if I should wait for disc sales. So much else to play...

I can't even imagine not liking dishonored 2 if you liked the first game. 2 is very much the same kind of thing

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

veni veni veni posted:

Right now I personally think the best reason to buy a pro is to future proof your new purchase, but even playing on a 4K tv with pro patches I haven't been that impressed by the improvements I've seen. I was going to run out and buy one but seeing how negligible the differences were after my playing friends for a while it unsold me on the upgrade . poo poo, even he admits he can't see much of difference.

I admittedly have not tried BF1 on the pro or OG PS4.

Still if my PS4 broke or the differences in games becomes more substantial I would certainly grab a pro.

No point in "future proofing" either because in two years or so the PS5 will be out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I can't even imagine not liking dishonored 2 if you liked the first game. 2 is very much the same kind of thing

I could imagine being disappointed if you expected more than "Dishonored again," but I also don't know who wouldn't just want "Dishonored again" so hey.

I haven't actually gotten it yet but I definitely will. Probably play as Emily first--if nothing else, it seems like her powers are better suited to nonlethal stealth than Corvo's. Corvo in Dishonored 1 always shined brightest when doing crazy kill-everyone-in-the-most-stylish-way-possible runs like this.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The level design in Dishonored 2 is loving outstanding.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked Dishonored 2 a lot. It's a great game by all means but I think I liked the first one better weirdly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that seems fair to me, the first game was a surprise and this is a follow up. everything that needed to be good in the sequel (except the story) is very good, but it's also not surprising either. they absolutely met expectations but it's not a new thing this time around

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

El Hefe posted:

No point in "future proofing" either because in two years or so the PS5 will be out.

No way. The Pro is their test for the feasibility of iteration so that this gen can last as long or longer than last gen, but with less stagnation.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The first one had a rhythm to it that I got really absorbed in. I got through 2 just fine but I felt like a bull in a china store the whole time and spent 3/4 of the game like "Oh poo poo! I wasn't trying to do that. Where did that guy come from?! poo poo!" Something about the DH1 mad me feel like a badass and the second one made me feel like a dumbass.

Ometeotl posted:

No way. The Pro is their test for the feasibility of iteration so that this gen can last as long or longer than last gen, but with less stagnation.

I think it's hard to tell where consoles will go from here. Supposedly Sony it committed to regular console iterations, but I don't know if that is really that great of an idea anymore. The pro will probably be looking kind of out of date around the time the PS5 would traditionally come out so they may have to do something. I think people predicting consoles are going to be more like phones is the best guess and we will be seeing a new PS4 or PS5 in some form within 3 or 4 years.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 23, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Well I doubt I'd "not like it". But I wouldn't be surprised if I was mildly disappointed to find it just as occasionally clunky as D1. One would hope in a game that didn't change much about the equation in its sequel, there were still refinements made to the user experience. :)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

D2 is good but the stealth mechanics are kind of barebones and makes it hard to know when you are visible and guards are extremely sensative but the combat is way too easy so the game basically encourages you to murder a pile of guys in 10 seconds instead of taking 10 minutes to creep around.
I beat it twice doing all stealth and then all combat and now i'm sick of it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

im not entirely sure what you mean by the stealth mechanics being barebones since you can do all kinds of poo poo to get past stuff stealthily?? its just light level and line of sight tends to make it obvious when you can be seen. i am glad the stealth is harder than the first game although coming off a replay of it lean felt a bit "useless" in the sequel. it's more for quick peaks instead of having 70% of your body sticking out from a corner and being completely invisible somehow.

the only major thing i would say about dishonored 2 is that the game suggests very heavily that replaying the game a lot of things can change, and very little actually does. the stuff that changes majorly is the game play, the actual story itself is pretty similar no matter what character or level of chaos you go with.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Just ran through the Gravity Rush 2 demo.

That was pretty much exactly what they showed off before; still great, still very much Gravity Rush. I'm kinda surprised by how they changed the way the Gravity Slide works, that's going to take some getting used to when the final game comes out. Still, I'm excited.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Why does the PS4 get loud as hell after I do nothing but put a BR film into it. The film happens to be the greatest christmas movie, Die Hard. Is it just that extremely eager for me to roll it?

e: oh finally it settled down, that drive. This is a PS4 I bought early November too.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

MrLonghair posted:

Why does the PS4 get loud as hell after I do nothing but put a BR film into it. The film happens to be the greatest christmas movie, Die Hard. Is it just that extremely eager for me to roll it?

e: oh finally it settled down, that drive. This is a PS4 I bought early November too.

It's because it knows it's not a Pro :smugdog:

For real though I am getting a PS4 and are there any games that all of these "Top 25 PS4 games so far" type lists are sleeping on? underrated/overlooked poo poo?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FadedReality posted:

For real though I am getting a PS4 and are there any games that all of these "Top 25 PS4 games so far" type lists are sleeping on? underrated/overlooked poo poo?

If you are getting bloodborne, it doesn't really matter what else you get, you're doing pretty well.

I you don't have the Witcher 3 on pc or something, get that also.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 23, 2016

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Snak posted:

If you are getting bloodborne, it doesn't really matter what else you get, you're doing pretty well.

Do already have Witcher 3 and a good number of other games that aren't console exclusive on my PC. Already bought Bloodborne on PSN because not getting it for :tenbux: would be straight stupid. Uncharted 4 comes with it and I'm 75% sure I'm getting Destiny from someone else. I don't think there's a single game on any site's top 10 list that I'm not super excited to play soonish.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Snak posted:

I bought Bloodborne and have just been playing Let it Die instead. I think I just prefer structured levels a lot more than go wherever you want games.

It's kinda surprising how I'd rather play a free game than ones I literally already spent money on.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Those are by necessity designed to be as addictive as possible. Bloodborne has the freedom to be more hostile to the player.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I bought Bloodborne and have just been playing Let it Die instead. I think I just prefer structured levels a lot more than go wherever you want games.

It's kinda surprising how I'd rather play a free game than ones I literally already spent money on.

the progression in bloodborne is pretty linear but the areas themselves are pretty big and open ended. like central yharnam may feel like a huge area but there's still only one exit and you can beeline to it in like 5 minutes once you figure it all out

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Let It Die and Bloodborne are two of the best games on the system, so I wouldn't suggest feeling bad about this.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TastyLemonDrops posted:

This is the worst reason ever to not play the best game of the last half decade.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

the progression in bloodborne is pretty linear but the areas themselves are pretty big and open ended. like central yharnam may feel like a huge area but there's still only one exit and you can beeline to it in like 5 minutes once you figure it all out

It's kind of lame you never get to open that second door to Central Yharnam. Did we ever find out why? Loading issues?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Peel posted:

It's kind of lame you never get to open that second door to Central Yharnam. Did we ever find out why? Loading issues?

probably, yea. you can get to the other side of it just fine tho

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Watch Dogs 2 is $35.99 in the current flash sale. I'm just a few story missions away from the platinum trophy and have had a blast with it. It's the best open world game Ubisoft has ever made and the new remote control devices are a pretty unique contribution to stealth mechanics. Don't let your impressions of the first game prevent you from trying it, they've done a fantastic job of addressing the issues that game had.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Gotta say, AC Syndicate on Black Friday for $8 is my gaming deal of the year. Having a ton of fun with it - best AC game in a while. The grappling hook mechanic and changes in combat are really a lot of fun. Don't really care if escaping is easier or if you get overpowered towards midgame - I just like killing people in cool quick ways and hopping around buildings.

The story is pretty meh, but it isn't bothering me so far.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Nier demo was kind of neat but I was a little annoyed with how often the camera would just pull way back into topdown mode.

Unrelated note, is anyone else having trouble playing The Division? When I try I just get stuck on the "connecting" screen and it doesn't advance.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I bounced off it. The stealth feels worse than the first, probably due to generally more awareness on the part of guards and the controls feel weirdly floaty to me, like just turning has inertia. Full disclosure though, I played on PC with a vid card that is (was?) affected by those framerate issues an that probably contributed to it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

FadedReality posted:

Get Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Remastered or Bloodborne GOTY edition in one of those 2for1 deals. They're the only PSN deals here in Europe worth anything.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This is the worst reason ever to not play the best game of the last half decade.

Oh, I'll play it eventually; probably once I burn out on/finish Let it Die. Coming from PC though, Bloodborne isn't even remotely in the best game of the last half decade for me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

The Nier demo was kind of neat but I was a little annoyed with how often the camera would just pull way back into topdown mode.

Unrelated note, is anyone else having trouble playing The Division? When I try I just get stuck on the "connecting" screen and it doesn't advance.

It made a lot more sense once I realized the game was a combination of Platinum action and Shmup.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they wanted to preserve the feel of neir which always did that. look for the main game to have sections comprised entirely of reading and parodies of popular game series gameplay

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ShutteredIn posted:

The Crew is bad don't buy The Crew.

I bought the Crew and i'm enjoying it and putting some decent hours into it. It's got a vast map, huge amount of content and variety of racing so it's good value. I only bought it recently so I gather there's been various improvements and expansions since launch. If there's a better open world arcade racer on PS4 i'd love to know about it. Took a little bit to get used to the car handling but all classes do handle differently. Obviously if you want a serious racing game avoid it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Oh, I'll play it eventually; probably once I burn out on/finish Let it Die. Coming from PC though, Bloodborne isn't even remotely in the best game of the last half decade for me.

How do you know :colbert:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

You are right. I will concede this point until I play Bloodborne again. Let us reconvene at a later date.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Dishonored 2 was great, some of the best level design I've seen in a long time, especially that time travel level.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MZ posted:

Dishonored 2 was great, some of the best level design I've seen in a long time, especially that time travel level.

Yeah I liked the first one a lot, but 2 just blew me away. The levels are huge and intricate and just so much fun to spend forever exploring.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I gotta say I'm really enjoying FIFA 17, both from a basic gameplay situation and for The Journey. The Journey is easily NBA 2K myCareer calibre and not going in a straight line towards superstar is refreshing. Maybe you do if you play better than I do though, I dunno.

Game looks and plays great. Much more accessible than FIFA 14 or anything prior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym9Exxkp5MM

The Journey is cool especially since my manager career is Real Madrid and I can see different teams but it's definitely linear and planned.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy loving poo poo NieR is cool and good.

I loved it. They're playing with perspective in a really interesting way which lets them do different things with enemies and bullet patterns that standard over the shoulder doesn't. I thought every time the camera switched it all felt real fluid and just kinda worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jesus Christ gently caress the e kart challenges in Watch Dogs 2! holy poo poo

• Locked thread