Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
I recognized the author and now I want more.

Koe no Katachi hosed me up, but in a good way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I liked what I saw in the current chapters, but what's this Koe no Katachi manga all about?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Eopia posted:

I liked what I saw in the current chapters, but what's this Koe no Katachi manga all about?

its about the relationship between a deaf girl and the kid who used to bully her in elementary school

its very good and makes you feel lots of feelings

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's got some very heavy stuff going on - suicidal ideation, social isolation, depression, the difficulty of trying to make amends - but is really well written.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The oneshot's better than the series, imo, though at this point I'd probably hold out for kyoani's movie adaptation, which'll probably become the definitive version.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The oneshot's better than the series, imo, though at this point I'd probably hold out for kyoani's movie adaptation, which'll probably become the definitive version.

Agreed

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oneshot is good, series is better

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

This.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sesuji wo Pin! to ~Shikakou Kyougi Dance-bu e Youkoso~ is the uplifting and goofy shounen sports manga about ballroom dance that is written by the author of noted psychological comics Molester Man and Onani Master Kurosawa. It's a really fun look at competitive dancesport that I have been enjoying a lot, especially since the translations started up again. The art is great, it's pretty goofy and silly, and yet it does also grasp a lot of mindset of the people involved really well, particularly the main character and his partner, who are each small, timid kids who are learning confidence from ridiculous (yet not unrealistic) ballroom dancing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Weekly Shonen Jump had an official translation of the first couple chapters, but it wasn't popular enough to pick up in full, which makes me sad.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
tfw

(realtalk tho the rest is not very good)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The best I can say about that comic is that it is only mildly irritating when it's irritating and at one page per update, it is something that passes time.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The best thing i can say is thats its funny as heck and good. The best daily updated 4koma for sure.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I dunno. I really like the way it uses color, and it has a few instances of some amazing paneling or visual gags, but for like 60 out of 80 pages you get the same one single joke. Might still be the best daily updated 4koma for all i know though, since i have no clue about the competition~

Also jfc, there really is a "Cute Girls Doing [x]" for every single possible x, isn't there? I mean, i knew that on an intellectual level, but

i still somehow didn't expect German board games to be x.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

The best thing i can say is thats its funny as heck and good. The best daily updated 4koma for sure.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't especially love mousou telepathy but it's a pretty fun 4koma. it's decently funny and makes me chuckle. 5 stars. 9/10. a+

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

HenryEx posted:

Also jfc, there really is a "Cute Girls Doing [x]" for every single possible x, isn't there? I mean, i knew that on an intellectual level, but

i still somehow didn't expect German board games to be x.

yeah, it's good

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I just blitzed through that and like it. Also I just realized in that image, King of Tokyo is clearly visible on the shelf. :allears:

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Kin no Tamago

A 4-panel manga about a newbie light novel editor and her friend who's a newbie weekly manga editor.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 23, 2016

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Glagha posted:

Yeah I just blitzed through that and like it. Also I just realized in that image, King of Tokyo is clearly visible on the shelf. :allears:

Every single board game in that image is real.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Eeevil posted:

Kin no Tamago

Everything that author does is outstanding. Hitoribocchi is maybe the most adorable and yet clever series I've seen.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Glagha posted:

There's a fuckton to recognize in any shot of the game shop shelves. I'm p. sure some of these are just straight up traced pictures of a shop the author visited. I haven't recognized too many things yet, but i'm not a board game geek (i have a friend who is, though). I can tell you though that any time you see someone holding a game's box, that's just straight up copied from the real thing. :shobon: The cat & mouse game even has the German award symbol that marks it as a Children's Game Of The Year 2003 on the side.

(funnily enough, i got the above picture from a japanese blog, but i also just now noticed that "Japan Boardgame Prize" sigil on the box)

Although i understand why they mostly show off children's games - they're easy to pick up and usually quick to complete, and also usually cutesy - i hope they find a way to properly show off an engaging round of a more involved game in the future.
OTOH, even though the chances are astronomically low, i really hope they get to play Love Letter, too, it's my favorite very simple card games with unusual depth and probably my favorite game that aforementioned friend has introduced me too. Really took me by surprise.

... And now that i look it up on the internet, said game was made by Japanese indie boad game designer Seiji Kanai. Of course. :allears:

Eeevil posted:

Kin no Tamago
Link when you post, please!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Mors Rattus posted:

Sesuji wo Pin! to ~Shikakou Kyougi Dance-bu e Youkoso~ is the uplifting and goofy shounen sports manga about ballroom dance that is written by the author of noted psychological comics Molester Man and Onani Master Kurosawa. It's a really fun look at competitive dancesport that I have been enjoying a lot, especially since the translations started up again. The art is great, it's pretty goofy and silly, and yet it does also grasp a lot of mindset of the people involved really well, particularly the main character and his partner, who are each small, timid kids who are learning confidence from ridiculous (yet not unrealistic) ballroom dancing.

How does it stack up to ballroom e youkoso? that's the golden standard for ballroom dancing manga.

Sharkopath posted:

Which is sad, because anything by BKUB is leagues above it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

nerdz posted:

How does it stack up to ballroom e youkoso? that's the golden standard for ballroom dancing manga.

Which is sad, because anything by BKUB is leagues above it.

bkub is chapter based, not daily

darn noobs

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

HenryEx posted:

There's a fuckton to recognize in any shot of the game shop shelves. I'm p. sure some of these are just straight up traced pictures of a shop the author visited. I haven't recognized too many things yet, but i'm not a board game geek (i have a friend who is, though). I can tell you though that any time you see someone holding a game's box, that's just straight up copied from the real thing. :shobon: The cat & mouse game even has the German award symbol that marks it as a Children's Game Of The Year 2003 on the side.

(funnily enough, i got the above picture from a japanese blog, but i also just now noticed that "Japan Boardgame Prize" sigil on the box)

Although i understand why they mostly show off children's games - they're easy to pick up and usually quick to complete, and also usually cutesy - i hope they find a way to properly show off an engaging round of a more involved game in the future.
OTOH, even though the chances are astronomically low, i really hope they get to play Love Letter, too, it's my favorite very simple card games with unusual depth and probably my favorite game that aforementioned friend has introduced me too. Really took me by surprise.

... And now that i look it up on the internet, said game was made by Japanese indie boad game designer Seiji Kanai. Of course. :allears:

Link when you post, please!

Yeah, it really does kind of need to stick to things with a simple ruleset (although that doesn't always mean the *game* is simple), and Love Letter is a great example of simple rules that lead to deep gameplay. Hanabi's another one that comes to mind that would translate to the manga pretty well.

I think a good "More complicated, but still easy to explain" candidate would be Dominion, which is pretty much the deck-building game, which you can fit both easy approaches (like Big Money) or complicated engine-based strategies into. I'd also really like to see Keyflower to show off bidding and worker placement, although that one isn't quite as known. Mainly I want the Class Rep to have to cope with Miki using the spot she needed right before her turn came up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

nerdz posted:

My feeling is that while it's not quite as good, it's still really great and I highly recommend both. I think it fits a bit of a different niche; Ballroom e Youkoso has better art and the dancing itself is done better, but "Sesuji wo Pin! to" has more endearing characters and tells a more "down to Earth" story where the MC doesn't have some special talent and isn't quite as focused on winning (which isn't to say the protagonist doesn't want to win, but not to the normal shounen extreme).

edit: Also I like the protagonist's partner in "Sesuji wo Pin! to" more than the partner(s) in Ballroom e Youkoso.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ytlaya posted:

My feeling is that while it's not quite as good, it's still really great and I highly recommend both. I think it fits a bit of a different niche; Ballroom e Youkoso has better art and the dancing itself is done better, but "Sesuji wo Pin! to" has more endearing characters and tells a more "down to Earth" story where the MC doesn't have some special talent and isn't quite as focused on winning (which isn't to say the protagonist doesn't want to win, but not to the normal shounen extreme).

edit: Also I like the protagonist's partner in "Sesuji wo Pin! to" more than the partner(s) in Ballroom e Youkoso.

Pretty much this - the characters are better in Sesuji but the plot is much less urgent and pressing. The art is cuter and more goofy, but the dance is communicated less well.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I'm not sure Sesuji is even any good as a ballroom dancing manga, given that it has not made me A) understand anything about ballroom dancing or B) care about ballroom dancing, but as a depiction of dork-rear end fourteen year olds falling in love a+++++ would enjoy again.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Electric Lady posted:

Every single board game in that image is real.

Shop has multiple copies of Ticket to Ride, is good shop.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm waiting for the chapter that reveals friendless class president used to have friends, but she then played Diplomacy with them.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Let me know when boardgaming manga gets to campaign for north africa

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm rereading gash bell and already looking forward to all the stupid faces

Jose fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 29, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Zatch Bell is extremely good and wraps up fantastically. It's a great example of a shonen knowing when to quit and does so with some incredibly powerful storytelling, and does so while simultaneously using a ton of shonen stereotypes while avoiding the pitfalls of said stereotypes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it also ramps up each major arc well which a lot of shonen stuff struggles with

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ousamatchi no Viking
(it's about hacking and venture capital)
(the boat is a metaphor)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

so do they make out after he takes the boat

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Judging by his expression, Sakai-san is going to show the other guy the difference between a boat and a ship.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Just reread Franken Fran again.

Man I forgot how freaky/amazing it is.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Does this count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

z0glin Warchief posted:

Does this count?

I think I'll just wait for the Twilight Imperium arc, spanning volumes 5 through 13.

• Locked thread