Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

blk posted:

I have a Google Voice number that I like a lot better than my VZW number. I'd like to port the GV number to VZW and port the old VZW number back to Google voice so it can forward to the new number. Is there a way to do this? I'm part of a larger business plan if it makes any difference - don't have the name of which particular plan that is but I can get it.

If you are not in contract you could just add a line and port out. If you are in any kind of contract this would be very difficult. Also, if you aren't authorized on the account, that adds to the hassle. Personally, I would only do it if you're out of contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

jokes posted:

Recommend going to the store despite the inconvenience because they can give it to you, sans shipping woes and you can usually get activation fees waived ($20).

How do you get them to waive the activation fee? Just ask?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah pretty much. And if they don't waive it just go online when the bill hits and tell a support rep via chat that you were told in store that they'd waive it.

Why even charge it if everyone at every stage is so willing to waive it?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Free money

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Trampus posted:

How do you get them to waive the activation fee? Just ask?

They'll likely waive for new lines, not as likely for upgrades. Depends on the store.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Hey, so I purchased a phone during Black Friday with a DPP through Best Buy. The phone never arrived, so best buy sent me a new one; my verizon account was activated automatically because I ported in a number.

I had chatted online with a Verizon rep, and he said he would close my account until I get a new device so I won't get charge, and it won't be a problem to have the DPP carry over.. new device comes, and I've tried calling Verizon and best buy multiple times to activate the account., but no one seems to be able to help me.. I give them my DPP application number and get transferred all over the place, and they all tell me the DPP shows "bought out." I don't want to open an account that doesn't have the DPP info attached, but they won't let me atleast pay off the DPP, or the balance of that account. They say I don't owe them anything.

Best buy just tells me to deal with verizon, they only initiate the order and accept the first payment.

So what is going on? Did I get a free phone? Should I return this thing to Best buy to avoid all future trouble? I'll pay off the DPP if that's what they bill me later, but I feel they'll screw me by billing me full price. According to this DPP contract, I did activate with verizon, I just didn't pay anything yet.. so verizon should just bill me the DPP?

I actually received an invoice from Verizon with my new account that has the charges on there.. but they won't let me pay it off because the account is closed due to earlier.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:laugh: my coworker has been blacklisted from buying iPhones at Best Buy (didn't even know that was a thing) since he's now bought 9 iPhones SEs in the past couple weeks at the (I'm probably getting the details wrong) $240 with new Verizon activation + $200 gift card price and immediately cancelled the lines.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
That's te deals best buy is running past few weeks.. I got on early so didn't get the gift card..

talked to another Verizon rep, and he says just wait and they'll send me a bill for the DPP, and O won't be charged 699 for the phone because all I owe is the DPP for 240 to them..

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

:laugh: my coworker has been blacklisted from buying iPhones at Best Buy (didn't even know that was a thing) since he's now bought 9 iPhones SEs in the past couple weeks at the (I'm probably getting the details wrong) $240 with new Verizon activation + $200 gift card price and immediately cancelled the lines.

That's a really common fraud thing. Criminals get access to someones account and go from store to store adding lines to get phones for cheap they can then resell for a profit.

Not saying your friend is doing anything wrong. That's a crazy good deal and I understand what he's doing. But I can see how it would trip best buys blacklist sensors.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there any indication when this iPhone 7 for $10/mo deal will end? The commercials just say 'soon' which I guess could be any time between now and the heat death of the universe.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there any indication when this iPhone 7 for $10/mo deal will end? The commercials just say 'soon' which I guess could be any time between now and the heat death of the universe.

If I was a bettin' man, the end of the week for Christmas.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Um, I'm sorry but it ended yesterday (Wednesday). The android phones are still on the $10 promo, iPhones are not.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I've got an old more everything plan, with several lines still getting a $25 discount off of the "line access" portion, because they were started under the edge program. Those phones are long since paid off.

I assume that if I messed with these lines, via $10/month pixel purchase, I'd loose that discount?

A couple lines did not have the discount, so they are $40 access plus data portion. If they get pixels on the promo, I assume this becomes $40 access + data portion + ~$30 phone cost -~$20 promo discount. That sound correct?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I've got an old more everything plan, with several lines still getting a $25 discount off of the "line access" portion, because they were started under the edge program. Those phones are long since paid off.

I assume that if I messed with these lines, via $10/month pixel purchase, I'd loose that discount?

A couple lines did not have the discount, so they are $40 access plus data portion. If they get pixels on the promo, I assume this becomes $40 access + data portion + ~$30 phone cost -~$20 promo discount. That sound correct?

No, you keep the $15 a month as long as you get phone on device payment. The $10 a month is device payment so you are fine. So it's $15 for the line, $10-15 for the phone after discount.

If you call care they'll move any of your $40 a month lines that are off contract down to $15.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Holy crap I thought the drop to 15 was a temporary promo they stopped offering. At least, they wouldn't do it for me late last ~april. You may have just saved me like $75 a month. Thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If I was a bettin' man, the end of the week for Christmas.

I should've taken that bet ha ;)

Duckman2008 posted:

Um, I'm sorry but it ended yesterday (Wednesday). The android phones are still on the $10 promo, iPhones are not.

Ah drat I would've gone and sorted it out today or tomorrow. Thanks for the reply, saves me some time.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The deal ends on Christmas according to my friend that manages a VZW store

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My friend wants to know if she can buy a pixel from Google and use it on Verizon prepaid?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

My friend wants to know if she can buy a pixel from Google and use it on Verizon prepaid?

I don't see why not. It's listed as a phone to buy through their prepaid section of the website and the other requirement for prepaid phones is the device needs to be unlocked if BYOD

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

The deal ends on Christmas according to my friend that manages a VZW store

Right, but the iPhone one was axed early. Now, Verizon launched an escalation form to offer it to customers demanding it (surprise, killing a promo two days before Christmas is a dumb idea), so there is a way to get the promo if you go into a Corp store and ask.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Sure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The website and commercials have changed to trade in as the deal, and of course its iPhone 6S that's eligible and not the 6 I have.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

No, you keep the $15 a month as long as you get phone on device payment. The $10 a month is device payment so you are fine. So it's $15 for the line, $10-15 for the phone after discount.

If you call care they'll move any of your $40 a month lines that are off contract down to $15.

Any way to change my plan but still keep the $15 per line amount? Id like to upgrade to one of the bigger data plans for the same price they have now, but it also raises my lines from 15-20 a month and ends up not being worth it.

Right now I get 10 gb for $80 on the old more everything. Id like to change to the newest version which is 12gb for 80 without have to pay the extra $5 per line.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
So I think I'm going to jump and upgrade our phones, with the new Pixel deal before it's too late: https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/google-pixel/

I also have some questions:

1. Let's say I don't want to pay 15 bucks a month and instead use the "buy and get free with trade in" offer. I have a Droid Turbo. Is that an eligible phone to trade in to qualify? I'm guessing I'll get charged 750ish per phone on my credit card, and then get refunded 750 in a couple of months on my Verizon bill?

2. I currently have the XL plan, but they're offering what seems like a temporary plan with +2 GB/month per line: https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/verizon-plan/

How do I switch from my old XL plan to a new +2 GB/month per line plan? When I upgrade my phone do I just need to make sure I tell the sales rep I want to re-up to an updated +2 GB/month plan?

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 23, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Re: trade in, I don't know if the Turbo qualifies, but the charge and trade in isn't a lump sum, it's monthly since the deal is you sign up for a 24 month monthly payment plan. So for a $650 phone you'll get charged $27 each month (on your Verizon bill, not your credit card) and (after a couple of months) you'll see a $27 credit. I didn't see the credit until the third month, but when it showed up three monthly credits came in at the same time.

The only charge at time of purchase was sales tax on the full price of the phone (in this example, sales tax on a $650 purchase).

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Re: trade in, I don't know if the Turbo qualifies, but the charge and trade in isn't a lump sum, it's monthly since the deal is you sign up for a 24 month monthly payment plan. So for a $650 phone you'll get charged $27 each month (on your Verizon bill, not your credit card) and (after a couple of months) you'll see a $27 credit. I didn't see the credit until the third month, but when it showed up three monthly credits came in at the same time.

The only charge at time of purchase was sales tax on the full price of the phone (in this example, sales tax on a $650 purchase).

This is really helpful. Thanks!

Any idea about re-upping to get the +2 GB/month per line deal?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No idea on the bonus data but the Turbo is not on the list of eligible trade ins. The Turbo 2 is (you can click see offer details on the main page to see a list of phones in a pop up).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Keystoned posted:

Any way to change my plan but still keep the $15 per line amount? Id like to upgrade to one of the bigger data plans for the same price they have now, but it also raises my lines from 15-20 a month and ends up not being worth it.

Right now I get 10 gb for $80 on the old more everything. Id like to change to the newest version which is 12gb for 80 without have to pay the extra $5 per line.

Yeah, can't do that unfortunately. Essentially if you want more data you have to pay more. Customer might give you bonus data, so like, 16GB instead of 12, but you def would have to pay more.

Dahbadu posted:

This is really helpful. Thanks!

Any idea about re-upping to get the +2 GB/month per line deal?

The turbo as others mentioned won't get you the $10 a month extra discount, but you can still trade in for whatever the value is. So maybe you'll get $50 out of it or something.

If you upgrade on device payment on the new Verizon plans large or higher you auto get 2GB of data.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Does anybody have any experience with network extenders? Not really sure where I should post this, but I just recently moved to a place where I don't get service through Verizon and a friend gave me their Samsung Verizon Network Extender, but I still haven't gotten it to work. I haven't been able to get past a slow-flashing red system light and the GPS light is solid red.

Verizon had me run a network test with http://voiptest.8x8.com. The results always show a Download Consistency Of Service of around 10% or lower. Now, here in my new place I have Comcast/Xfinity. When I tell them this, they always want me to run a network test through their own Xfinity Speed Test http://speedtest.xfinity.com which always reports that I'm getting the speeds I'm supposed to be getting (but doesn't show Download Consistency of Service, which is what Verizon tells me is the important part).

I've been back and forth for a while now between Verizon and Xfinity and not really sure how to trouble shoot this further. This is of course a huge pain because I can't call anybody from my house and rely on online chat tech support. Is this a network/comcast issue that I need to further pursue with them?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's Comcast's problem.

It's always Comcast's problem.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My grandparents have an old clamphone on my parents' Verizon plan. They don't need cellular data, but we'd like to get them something a bit more modern (the phone can't get photos via text from what I'm told). Can we swap the phone out for like, an old iPhone or android phone and disable all cell data without triggering a change in the account plan?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Very highly unlikely, most smartphones force you to select a data package when you try to add them via the online portal. I think there is a very small data package though which would probably be what you're looking for.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

My grandparents have an old clamphone on my parents' Verizon plan. They don't need cellular data, but we'd like to get them something a bit more modern (the phone can't get photos via text from what I'm told). Can we swap the phone out for like, an old iPhone or android phone and disable all cell data without triggering a change in the account plan?

Really depends on the plan. Verizon has a 700 min, $25 a month plan. If they are on that, you just can't put a smartphone on that plan. Lowest smartphone plan is $55 a month. Or maybe $30 a month for prepaid.

So either move them to prepaid or have them as an add a line on one of your accounts (it's $20 for an add a line on any current plan).

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Really depends on the plan. Verizon has a 700 min, $25 a month plan. If they are on that, you just can't put a smartphone on that plan. Lowest smartphone plan is $55 a month. Or maybe $30 a month for prepaid.

So either move them to prepaid or have them as an add a line on one of your accounts (it's $20 for an add a line on any current plan).

We'll just keep 'em on the clamphone until it stops working if it costs extra, they don't want or need cell data.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I've got a question for Verizon users: how often do you get SMS spam?

I don't think I've ever received a SMS spam message on their network (thankfully).

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Three-Phase posted:

I don't think I've ever received a SMS spam message on their network (thankfully).

Like maybe once in the last couple years? iMessage spam seems a lot more prevalent tbqh and that doesn't have anything to do with Verizon.

There was a period in 2012-ish where I got fraudulently added onto like six premium texting services in the matter of a week, and I had to fight Verizon to get that taken off my bill. But thankfully they stopped participating in that and had to settle a class action concerning it.

In the span of a week or so I got scads of messages like "Welcome to taco facts! We'll send you a fact about tacos 3x/week. $9.99/mo until you reply STOP" and they all came out of the blue.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

I never got SMS spam on Verizon, ATT or Sprint.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Maybe one spam message every two or three months.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

kitten smoothie posted:

Like maybe once in the last couple years? iMessage spam seems a lot more prevalent tbqh and that doesn't have anything to do with Verizon.

There was a period in 2012-ish where I got fraudulently added onto like six premium texting services in the matter of a week, and I had to fight Verizon to get that taken off my bill. But thankfully they stopped participating in that and had to settle a class action concerning it.

In the span of a week or so I got scads of messages like "Welcome to taco facts! We'll send you a fact about tacos 3x/week. $9.99/mo until you reply STOP" and they all came out of the blue.

Holy smokes re: the message scams. Glad they stopped participating. Wow.

Did you reply STOP? (Serious)

I do get occasional robocalls - are there any reason that those seem to be more prevalent than SMS spam? Does Verizon have internal detection and spam blocking for SMS?

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 28, 2016

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I can't remember exactly how it played out now but I didn't reply STOP; under no circumstances did I want to engage with the SMS scammers.

I get a robocall or two a week but the Pixel dialer is really good at spam call identification. I'll have the phone buzz once and then stop ringing, and there's a notification on the screen saying it rejected a spam call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Did you end up paying them anything?

• Locked thread