Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Vaporizing typically has extremely little in the way of carcinogens (if you're an idiot who tries to increase the power to have a more intense hit, then you run the risk of making it even more carcinogenic than a cigarette), so people use it to get their nicotine hit without taking 10 or 15 years off their life and avoid going cold turkey. The clouds are harmless except for the smell, unlike secondhand smoke.

The problem is that people immediately take "The cloud is harmless to bystanders" to mean "I can vape literally anywhere at any time and it's no big deal" and start lighting up wherever they feel like it, choking subway passengers with root beer-scented humidity, and take being told to stop as personally offensive because "it's harmless". Vape culture is one of those bizarre things that feels so lame that it shouldn't exist, but people latched onto it like an even dumber form of weed culture.

I wasn't referring to carcinogens, just nicotine addiction. Smokers have been marginalized in the last couple of decades and vaping, at least initially removed a lot of the social pressures that kept people from smoking every drat place they wanted to. I would think that would result in people being uber addicted to nicotine to the point where they think they have to vape all the time.

I just remember what it was like with chain smoking parents back when you could smoke anywhere. Our cars had no resale value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0w57ZoloYc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

http://www.theonion.com/article/man-smoking-e-cigarette-must-be-futuristic-bounty--34531

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

I remember seeing a bit of a video a while back from one of these "vape-trick championship" things where they were comparing themselves to the Z-Boys/Dogtown pioneering skateboarding. "YOU JUST WAIT AND SEE, WE'LL BE COOL AND FAMOUS SOMEDAY THEN WE'LLL GET TO LAUGH AT YOU!"

also, wtf is with that laser tag. I thought they were just doing warm ups or something before heading into an actual laser tag arena but apparently that was the actual tie-breaker match?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

God bless you. You're the honorary Say Nothing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm incredibly confused by how this is meant to progress.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

In case you're like me and didn't think he got both kids at first, the video makes it pretty clear he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_qsSaEm4sA

That's some fast thinking.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Okay I looked up that laser tag thing and apparently it's got some really specific rules.

quote:

Another tournament format that has a rich history with USA and Fin players is the LOR event. LOR is the only game format played outside the arena in the full view of the spectators. There are no partitions, just a 4m(13 feet) diameter circle that 3 players battle in to see who is the master of the 'stand off'. 'Standing Off' is the skill in Laser Tag of having a 1 on 1 battle with another player without using arena cover. The art of dodging another player's shot whilst simultaneously firing back at them and attempting to tag that player. Watching the USA and Finland players dodge, weave and dance is a spectacle unto itself.

Players attempt to get deactivated the LEAST no of times in a 5 min round to win. Players can also get 'stunned'. A stun occurs when tagged in the shoulders or phasor and has a players pack flash like a Christmas tree. During the stun, a player can still be tagged but cannot fire their laser. A stun is only a couple of seconds, so skilled players can dodge fire from opposition players during a stun, and then reactivate to tag the player. A real spectacle to watch.

So the shoulders and gun are the only valid targets. The players are trying to keep their backs to the other players and shoot over their shoulders to avoid exposing their targets. Whoever takes the fewest hits wins.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I just finished a 5 months of research on vaping and spent alot of time interviewing people from all sections of the industry about the market, future forecasts, user journeys, liquid manufacture, retailing, regulation and pretty much everything to do with it.

About 93% or more of vapers are normal people who just want to stop smoking cigarettes. A large subsection, probably a large majority don't really want to stop using nicotine as if the delivery is safe then nicotine is relatively harmless. A lot of them are older people who've seen family and friends die of lung/throat cancer. This 95% don't want to blow huge clouds. They're more often then not embarrassed to be identified as vapers and they hate that vape culture poo poo.

About 5% are the hobbyists who want to blow clouds. Of these there's a smaller segment who don't give a gently caress about anyone and vape wherever they want and it's important to be aware they're not obnoxious because they vape, they vape because they're obnoxious. If they'd gotten into motorcycles they'd be the motocyclists that ruin it for everyone. If they got into bicycling they'd be the ones drivers complain about. They're the sort who get into BDSM and walk their slave around on a leash in public.

The schadenfreude is on everyone who does smoke because the small minority have helped make a bad name for vaping which increases the social barriers for people to stop smoking cigarettes. You can very easily make the case that vilifying people who vape has cost and will cost lives and taxpayer money.

I've never smoked or vaped but it's aggravating listening to industry players talk about how this minority is ruining it for the responsible users and then seeing that exact thing happen.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Crocoswine posted:

it doesn't matter if there are health consequences don't be an obnoxious gently caress who blows fuckin' clouds everywhere because it's annoying and rude as poo poo

I dunno in this case I feel for the other side. There are solid reasons for not wanting someone to smoke cigarettes inside with you around or wherever else you could get a faceful of their secondhand smoke. Number one of course is that it is bad for you.

Take the solid reason away and leftover complainers are pretty much just nazis that want to boss other people around. Finding an action annoying or w/e isn't a very good reason for trying to boss a stranger around. gently caress you. Stop wearing cordoroy. Get rid of that stupid moustache. Lose some fuckin weight. See? I come across as kinda a dick. Makes you think.

So yeah in closing Crocoswine is literally hitler.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Okay I looked up that laser tag thing and apparently it's got some really specific rules.

So the shoulders and gun are the only valid targets. The players are trying to keep their backs to the other players and shoot over their shoulders to avoid exposing their targets. Whoever takes the fewest hits wins.

I guess the bits where they're all hopping around is meant to be them avoiding telegraphing their next move to their opponents, but it still looks hilarious

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

What're the odds we'll get schadenfreude from learning that vaping doesn't cause lung cancer... But DOES cause some other terminal disease?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Regalingualius posted:

What're the odds we'll get schadenfreude from learning that vaping doesn't cause lung cancer... But DOES cause some other terminal disease?

Like anal cancer? Because that would be brutal.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

I was going to say vaping until I watched the second video. What the gently caress.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Vaping derails are tolerable if only because I have Cloud to Butt Plus.

ilmucche posted:

I don't like vaping because of my butt. If I'm behind someone smoking on the street the smoke disperses fairly quick and I don't get much of a whiff. Someone vaping puts out a huge butt that lingers and I get a face full of whatever sickly sweet shite they're huffing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So wait, vaping does have nicotine? Or not?

Nobody I talk to seems to know, and either possibility has aspects that make it not make sense to me.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Nobody I talk to seems to know, and either possibility has aspects that make it not make sense to me.

It's both. you can get/make/blend the flavors in varying nicotine concentrations from 0 to plenty.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

toplitzin posted:

It's both. you can get/make/blend the flavors in varying nicotine concentrations from 0 to plenty.

Yeah, people trying to quit smoking? Nicotine.

Dudes blowing huge clouds? Probably not (unless they really like nicotine poisoning).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

On a smaller scale, there's also the MONQ aromatherapy vaporizers. They ostensibly use no ingredients except essential oils and water, and you're supposed to exhale the vapor out your nose. I've tried them and they're pretty nice if you want to smell something pretty, but they're otherwise just an alternative to incense. It's pretty much impossible to blow more vapor than a normal cigarette, so no competitions with them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Wanna blow some clouds so dense and billowy that they scare delicate children.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Somebody post the video of the dude huffing a fog machine tia.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I glanced at this and saw "blow" and "children" in the same sentence and panicked for a moment.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I look forward to the subsequent rash of popcorn lung in older folks of my generation, because so many of the flavorings deemed to be safe for vaping by the companies selling them have been approved as food grade substances but not as something to inhale, and they can gently caress up your lungs something fierce.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My boss vapes, but she does it to quit smoking and she doesn't do the cloud bullshit and she still takes it outside the guard shack like she used to do with her cigarettes.
That's my vape story.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

If only they had a gun this tragedy could be avoided.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQwB04mNbes

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

If only they had a gun this tragedy could be avoided.

I know this is meant to be a joke, but I think you're right.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

It looks like he's back in his father's garage. How far til rock bottom for the ol' Beast?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Data Graham posted:

It can have nothing to a shitload of nicotine. The local places I've seen carry from zero to 24 milligrams per milliliter, and 12 is what they recommend as a starter for people who smoke cigarettes a lot and are going to the pen type. I've also seen places advertise up to 48 mg/ml of nicotine which is insane. Now the pen ones usually hold about a milliliter of liquid and some of the fancy pants expensive ones can hold around 5. The bottles you can buy start at 10 milliliters in size. According to wikipedia 30-60 milligrams can kill the average adult, or 500-1000 if ingested. It will absorb through your skin. So you've got to be careful with that poo poo and not leave it where a small kid can find it.

I'm done with the things since I've made myself sick with them before, they're harder to keep track of than "I've smoked (x) cigarettes today" and it's easy to really get hooked.

Also idiots who don't keep track of their wattage tend to blow up batteries by grossly over drawing them. The ones you see blowing up in pockets probably weren't locked down right since the mechanical ones just have a ring you screw back to keep the button from being pushed.

Parts Kit has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Dec 23, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grem posted:

It looks like he's back in his father's garage. How far til rock bottom for the ol' Beast?

What do we even classify as rock bottom for Kevin Strahle? He doesn't seem to really do anything but hurt himself for attention and get kicked out of more and more living spaces for wrecking them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Grem posted:

he's probably home for christmas

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Grem posted:

Is that a Cobra?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's a cober.

It does a flat.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Grem posted:

There's so much here. I can decide if my favorite is the guy who probably broke half his face on the middle left, the guy flipping over a loving seat back right, or the lady in the bottom right who can't figure out if her head really just made a right angle backwards.

All those people will be rich next year.
I went through it frame by frame hoping that I was seeing it wrong and the person behind them flew out into the aisle before them, but I'm pretty sure this is exactly what it looks like.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Wear a loving helmet you loving gently caress.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Outrail posted:

Wear a loving helmet you loving gently caress.

The Something Awful Forums > Post Your Favourite > Schadenfreude Thread: Wear A loving Helmet You loving gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Merry Christmas, LA Beast, wherever you are.