Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

madmac posted:

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Twelfth_Day_of_Festag_2016

The final teaser is King Louen, because we were all dying to get a glimpse of the guy who's been in the game since release. Nice select screen vid though.

They had better give him an outrageous french accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
So i figure it doesn't instantly kill the whole army, but what does Lord-sniping undead actually do mechanically?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Night10194 posted:

You must be new to Total War. I'll be shocked if his accent isn't bordering on offensive.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wafflecopper posted:

You must be new to Total War. I'll be shocked if his accent isn't bordering on offensive.

All I know is Karl Franz doesn't sound nearly as German as he should.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

sassassin posted:

So i figure it doesn't instantly kill the whole army, but what does Lord-sniping undead actually do mechanically?

More or less what you said it didn't do.

I wonder if the Bretonnia start will be easy or hard. I'd guess you'd be at war with Artois and the Skullsmasherz to start. Having to deal with the Wood Elves certainly ups the difficulty.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

sassassin posted:

Basically it'll make the army rout/crumble faster. Same thing as with any faction really. The Vampire Counts' units have low leadership though, so loosing their lord hurts them a lot.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
For my Skarsnik campaign, after a VERY rough start, I continually appeased the Welfs with bribes and hero actions against their enemies and then when they were out steamrolling the entire Old World (wiping out several factions including the Empire) I used literally my entire war chest to sack and then raze the whole forest in two turns.

The hit to their economy made their armies desert and they went from uncontested #1 in strength to like #10, immediately asked me for peace and they are apparently too poor to retake any of the main settlements. Plus I got like 40k a pop from sacking so now the game is basically over except for the final victory I need to go up against the Dwarves and they have 27 settlements and 5 doomstacks with longbeards and cannons and oh god I don't want to...

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wafflecopper posted:

He already has his unique voice in the game, and has since release.

Its... pretty french?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMoLb_uLdEo

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Night10194 posted:

All I know is Karl Franz doesn't sound nearly as German as he should.

WHF Empire are basically a nation of Wehraboos who love German names for things but are themselves British/American.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Figured I'd give some quick multi battles a shot last night.

*man* am I ever bad at this game vs actual people

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The trick is to start playing after a big DLC launch so all the bad people play the game again.
Wood elf opponents got me like 20 free wins in a row two weeks ago.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

The trick is to start playing after a big DLC launch so all the bad people play the game again.

the problem is, the bad person is me

I played three matches as empire - one vs beastmen, one vs dorfs, one vs elfs. Beastmen roflstomped me (4 greatswords does not a frontline make), I kept it semi close for the dwarfs (pro tip, slayers will gently caress demigryphs right up), and not quite as close for elfs (durthu's a motherfucker)

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Chickenwing I think you need to accept your lot in life and embrace filling the role of Easily Defeated Bad Guy.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aurubin posted:

More or less what you said it didn't do.

My glade rider army just killed a half-dead Red Duke in the first few minutes and spent the rest of the time limit dancing around waiting for stuff to fall apart.

They didn't. Do I need to take out the Grave Guard and "Good binding" units, too?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Carcer posted:

Chickenwing I think you need to accept your lot in life and embrace filling the role of Easily Defeated Bad Guy.

I'm probably going to do that yeah

luckily I still had a bunch of fun losing so I'm going to continue being That Easy Win That Keeps You Queueing

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

sassassin posted:

My glade rider army just killed a half-dead Red Duke in the first few minutes and spent the rest of the time limit dancing around waiting for stuff to fall apart.

They didn't. Do I need to take out the Grave Guard and "Good binding" units, too?

Killing the lord of a vampire count army has the same leadership that it has on any other army but if you don't combine it with other leadership shocks then it's not going to do anything by itself.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

sassassin posted:

Removing the lord removes the leadership buff from the lord's aura, so you'll have to put less pressure on the enemy units for them to start crumbling. They're not going to auto-crumble however, you'll still have to actually attack.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah if the undead units are holding their own and the battle itself isn't considered to be lost by the game (the marker thing at the top) the single loss of a lord won't be enough to make them mass rout/crumble.

Its just like any other army in the game.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

sassassin posted:

Killing the lord of an army gives a large leadesrship penalty to all their units. This penalty lowers over time though, so after killing the lord you really should follow with shooting or charging the enemy in the flanks/rear.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I have a question about the Dwarf Engineer's capstone ability Extra Powder: Does it apply to all missile units? Do greatweapon rangers get to hurl exploding axes at enemies if they are under the aura? (because that would be awesome)

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

I have a question about the Dwarf Engineer's capstone ability Extra Powder: Does it apply to all missile units? Do greatweapon rangers get to hurl exploding axes at enemies if they are under the aura? (because that would be awesome)

It should yes, the only requirement to be met is if the target is capable of a ranged attack. Unfortunately theres no graphical indication that you're doing extra explosion damage, just higher numbers.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

ChickenWing posted:

the problem is, the bad person is me

I played three matches as empire - one vs beastmen, one vs dorfs, one vs elfs. Beastmen roflstomped me (4 greatswords does not a frontline make), I kept it semi close for the dwarfs (pro tip, slayers will gently caress demigryphs right up), and not quite as close for elfs (durthu's a motherfucker)

Pro tip: Shoot the Gorebulls until they are dead A line of Greatswords and Flagellants will generally beat a Beastmen front line, so Beastmen are all about launching a focused attack on one point with Gorebulls, et al and obliterating it in order to cause a rout. So you bring a griffon general, wizzard, demigryph knights, maybe halberdiers and have your own doom blob to deal with them.So comp against Beastmen is basically battle line + roving doom blob to deal with theirs.

Dwarfs poo poo all over Empire presently. An effective tactic is leaving the lobby before the match starts. Works every time.

Elves do not like mortars and knights. Hammer of the Witches is one weird trick that Durthu hates, but a regular cannon will kill him eventually.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Are mortars good? I haven't played empire in forever and I was alway disappointed with their performance

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Don't they do horrific damage to lightly armored troops? I remember using them about a month ago and causing lots of damage to approaching beastmen and empire troops.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Gay Horney posted:

Are mortars good? I haven't played empire in forever and I was alway disappointed with their performance

They are particularly good against archers since they typically have less health and worse armour, which helps against Glade Guard who outrange Crossbowmen.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gay Horney posted:

They did something to explosive damage a few patches back, drastically increasing its damage which made anything that primarily uses exlosive damage go from poor/meh to decent/amazing damage.

Mortars is one of the latter things, it will do amazing damage toward lowarmoured/unarmoured targets which is almost anything you face early on as Empire.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 23, 2016

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Mukip posted:

Dwarfs poo poo all over Empire presently. An effective tactic is leaving the lobby before the match starts. Works every time.

This is interesting. I take it the meta has changed from the days where orcs, empire, and vampires were tier one with everyone else tier 2?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Dwarfs got a bunch of totally unnecessary buffs because the devs were listening to the wrong feedback and now they are OP. It's them and VC with their raise dead shenanigans in the top tier.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Night10194 posted:

They used their usual French voice actor for Louen; I think he was the same guy for Napoleon in NTW and the deeper-voiced dudes in MTW2. His accent is distinctly French, but overall pretty good.

The ooooouuutrageooooussly Francoiiis accented dudes in Warhammer are the various Bretonnian Dukes, who were probably the same voice actors for the higher-voiced dudes in MTW2.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the true enemy of the old world is reddit

e: and GW

mostly GW

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
experience helps a lot with the mortars because they get more accurate.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the true enemy of the old world is reddit

e: and GW

mostly GW

GW I understand, but what did Reddit do? Are they big into Age of Shitmar?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
its joke

Mukip posted:

Dwarfs got a bunch of totally unnecessary buffs because the devs were listening to the wrong feedback and now they are OP. It's them and VC with their raise dead shenanigans in the top tier.

reddit typically gives very dumb feedback. not really reddits fault, more the consumer not actually understanding what is good and what is bad in what they consume.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
WOOD ELVES TOO WEAK :byodood:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I haven't really been following the multiplayer meta. What sort of builds are Dwarves using that are so strong?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Deified Data posted:

WOOD ELVES TOO WEAK :byodood:

The vast majority of complaints were about amber. So their answer was to buff ranged. Which is kind of like one bad analogy but instead you do another bad analogy.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

fnordcircle posted:

The vast majority of complaints were about amber. So their answer was to buff ranged. Which is kind of like one bad analogy but instead you do another bad analogy.

Nah in fairness there were plenty of complaints about Elf Archers sucking.

The elf stat buffs were fine, it's really just their campaign mechanics that are kind of screwy, especially with the AI completely ignoring amber and confederation requirements.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

madmac posted:

Nah in fairness there were plenty of complaints about Elf Archers sucking.

The elf stat buffs were fine, it's really just their campaign mechanics that are kind of screwy, especially with the AI completely ignoring amber and confederation requirements.

The only one I recall is people being upset that wood elf archers would lose toe to toe with dwarf archers, but I mean....what else are you going to do to keep dwarves from being totally bent over by Wood Elves?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The German accents in Medieval II kind of made me uncomfortable. Especially in the high-Dread characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

fnordcircle posted:

The only one I recall is people being upset that wood elf archers would lose toe to toe with dwarf archers, but I mean....what else are you going to do to keep dwarves from being totally bent over by Wood Elves?

They lost toe to toe to every archer unit in the game when you consider cost. I think the only ones you could expect them to beat were the savage orc bows and maybe the beastman ones. They did less damage against units that were just standing there too. I think they might be over buffed now but it's a hard thing to guess at with skirmishers since they're pretty counterable.

• Locked thread