Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

Firewatch - I like good walking simulators
The Beginner's Guide - I enjoyed Stanley's Parable
Samorost 3 - I loved other Amanita games
The Witness - Braid was cool
That Dragon, Cancer - is this good as an actual game?
Grim Dawn - I'm a sucker for arpgs
Evil Within - I like a good horror game but I heard mixed things about this one
SOMA - how does it compare to Alien Isolation?
Hitman - I only heard good things about it
Owlboy - I know that the art is gorgeous but how does this actually play?
Far Cry Primal - is this game actually enjoyable or did Ubisoft make it too generic?

Beginner's Guide is good but 100% serious and only good for one playthrough. Don't go into it expecting something like Stanley. It's very different.

That Dragon, Cancer is kind of a dragon to actually play. It also makes some weird decicions at points just to have gameplay.

Evil Within is just dire. I'd say drop it and That Dragon for sure. Far Cry Primal is also an Ubisoft open world game, but a decently fun one if you mostly used the bow and want to have animal buddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Witness is amazing. Paid full price for it (or close enough) and I would highly recommend it.

Nothing like Braid though, except in that there's some really obscure hidden stuff that adds meaning / shows how smart Blow is. I didn't really like Braid because I don't like puzzle platformers very much. I love the core Witness gameplay though.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 23, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Palpek posted:

Ok, I'll also ask what should I maybe trim from this list. I added some notes:

Far Cry Primal - is this game actually enjoyable or did Ubisoft make it too generic?

Fair warning that Beginner's Guide is nothing like Stanley Parable. It's meta but not in the "haha wow I get it, this is a funny game" sense or anything like that. The gameplay is deliberately hobbled because it's portrayed as a series of unfinished games that are often just sort of art projects you walk around, and the purpose for them being put together may impress you or bore you.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah you may as well skip 2. A lot of the good parts of 2 carried over to 3 anyways.

3 is pretty much a greatest hits of the series overall, mind.

Inzombiac posted:

DS3 is the best in the series so go for it!

:hf: Thanks, finally finished with work for the next week or so, I'm gonna go ahead and get it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Palpek posted:

Commenting on the only two I can: Beginner's Guide is not funny, takes 90~ minutes at most, and is interesting. I'd rec it for a dollar, not for anything more than that.

Grim Dawn - is a good arpg, from the perspective of a casual arpg player who decided to go play Titan Quest first to completion (still working on it!) because a roadtrip through Greece and beyond is cool, and then I'll appreciate all of the quality of life updates in Grim Dawn more.

Also Grim Dawn really, really feels like Diablo 2 in terms of atmosphere and music. It's cool!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Palpek posted:

Grim Dawn is very good, definitely vouch for it if you like ARPGs.

Far Cry: Primal is really fun for me because of the animal taming mechanic. Being able to sic panthers or lions on people is great and also you can ride bears, mammoths and sabertooth tigers into battle.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Char posted:

Dear goons, is there any fat to trim here?
Going for the mainstream-indie-hits of 2016 (at least, those I didn't buy yet) and whatever I promised I'd buy years ago but I never did (Ori, LISA, Freedom Planet).

DOOM
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
LISA
LISA the Joyful
Kathy Rain
Gunpoint
Darkest Dungeon
Enter the Gungeon
Rabi-Ribi
Furi
CrossCode
Wuppo
Hyper Light Drifter
Freedom Planet

I'd sneak in Subnautica as well... dunno, it's starting to get a big haul.

I haven't played Furi, but everyone I know who played it has burned out within a week. Good soundtrack, though.

Enter the Gungeon has apparently had some updates, but on launch it suffered from massive unfair randomness in the weapon drops and bosses having way too much health.

And this is going to be an unpopular opinion I know, but cut Darkest Dungeon. For my money there are much better games in the same vein to spend your time on.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Just as a note if you didn't see, GRID is available for free on humble store just now.

I saw it and went and got it, oh look I already own GRID since 20fuckin11...

EQA**-2F4QL-K8CGV

Those *s up there are really X's

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Char posted:

Going for the mainstream-indie-hits of 2016 (at least, those I didn't buy yet) and whatever I promised I'd buy years ago but I never did (Ori, LISA, Freedom Planet).

DOOM
Gunpoint
Darkest Dungeon
Enter the Gungeon
Hyper Light Drifter
Freedom Planet
Subnautica

This list is what id get from that.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Char posted:

DOOM
LISA
LISA the Joyful
Kathy Rain
Gunpoint
Darkest Dungeon
Enter the Gungeon
Rabi-Ribi
Furi
CrossCode
Wuppo
Hyper Light Drifter
Freedom Planet

I'd sneak in Subnautica as well... dunno, it's starting to get a big haul.

I've only played LISA, Darkest Dungeon and Gunpoint from that list.
Definitely get Gunpoint.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Larrymer posted:

Any good ARPGs on sale that aren't Grim Dawn? I might pick up some old rpgs as well (KOTOR 1 and 2, and some other stuff I can't remember on my wishlist and can't currently check).

My other two big ARPGs on Steam are Titan Quest and Path of Exile. TQ remaster is 5bux and PoE is free to play.

edit: Van Helsing is decent as well.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 23, 2016

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Much thanks to Xander77 for Skullgirls! I always expect Bad Rats from mystery steam codes so it was a great surprise!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Added you on Steam, hopping on the gift train in just a few minutes.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
How necessary are the Dishonored (1) DLCs? The base game is very affordable now but still don't like the DLC pricing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok, thanks for the answers guys.

Also what was the name of the game that was like Gunpoint? It released way later but featured similar gameplay?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

How necessary are the Dishonored (1) DLCs? The base game is very affordable now but still don't like the DLC pricing.

Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches are a full campaign and are as good (if not better) than the base game.

Dunwall City Trials you can just avoid.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

They're all side missions. You play as a different character with a slightly different powerset and they're fun but its definitely 'buy this if you want more of the game' and not like mandatory story/mechanical content.

Ignore the challenge DLC because its just... yeah.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Palpek posted:

Ok, thanks for the answers guys.

Also what was the name of the game that was like Gunpoint? It released way later but featured similar gameplay?

Deadbolt probably

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

You only need The Knife of Dunwall and The Brigmore Witches - played in this order. They're amazing DLCs up there with New Vegas DLC's that add a lot to the experience - they're supposed to be played after you finish the main game though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Leper Residue posted:

Deadbolt probably
Thanks, that's it!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Enter the gungeon and darkest dungeon both left me pretty cold. The treasure system in gung is initially very frustrating and you don't really feel potential for your power escalating like in the best rls. Darkest is just so loving monotonous and the hours I put into it never gave me a hint of anything really changing down the line.

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

kater posted:

Enter the gungeon and darkest dungeon both left me pretty cold. The treasure system in gung is initially very frustrating and you don't really feel potential for your power escalating like in the best rls. Darkest is just so loving monotonous and the hours I put into it never gave me a hint of anything really changing down the line.

I'm both sad and happy to hear that, happy because it validates my experience with Enter the Gungeon which just didn't have that frantic pace that a Spelunky or a Binding of Isaac has. Sad because I bought Darkest Dungeon this steam sale after a couple of friend recommendations so yeah we'll see how that pans out. Loved the art style in Gungeon but like you say you never feel a real increase in power which makes it feel a bit flat.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Is the DLC for Europa Universalis 4 any good? Which should I get if any?

riparian
Jun 26, 2004
Is Starbound good yet?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

riparian posted:

Is Starbound good yet?

Yes, I think so. There's widely ranging opinions, but it's massively improved since early beta days. I spent about ~30 hours completing the campaign and enjoyed it. QuestForGloryII also spent about ~15 hours doing the campaign and liked it. The difference in playtimes chalks up to some (un)lucky breaks and I spent a lot of time doing some useless things.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Palpek posted:

Some people complain about how it's a lazy cash-in or tedious or whatever, but it's definitely my favorite entry in the Far Cry series since 2. The world is beautiful, biomes and wildlife are immersive, and the tribal peoples and languages are lovingly crafted. You'll be doing a poo poo-ton of archery and spear throwing, but if you're into its particular brand of primitive gameplay rather than playing around with a dozen different varieties of guns, the narrower selection of weapons can be a plus rather than a minus.

Pagan Min wasn't so bad, but I thought Vaas in 3 was cringy as gently caress and it made me embarrassed that a professional writer actually let half his dialogue out the door. None of that poo poo in Primal. Just some tough-rear end, no-nonsense cave people trying to eke out survival in an unforgiving world.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 24, 2016

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Stumbled across Spec Ops: The Line and recall it getting decent reviews back in the day. Worth picking up for a few pounds? Also how long is it?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Stumbled across Spec Ops: The Line and recall it getting decent reviews back in the day. Worth picking up for a few pounds? Also how long is it?

It's good! Not super long, I did it in about 6 hours.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Very good game, definitely worth it at that price, remember to yell at your squadmates to do things a lot and try not to read too much about it going in. I recommend playing on normal or easy, though, the higher difficulties don't make the game better.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

I highly recommend it personally; as far as creating an atmosphere it's one of my favorite action games ever. It's probably 10 hours at the absolute most and the lower difficulty you play on the faster you'll finish. I'm not going to bother calculating exchange rate but its 6 bucks American right now and I'd recommend it at that price point if you like 3rd person action games.

e: oh yeah like Trick Question said, try not to read anything more than you already have about it and just play it

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

single player only: divinity original sin or pillars of eternity (plus dlc? seems like it is integrated in the main story...)

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Awesome! posted:

single player only: divinity original sin or pillars of eternity (plus dlc? seems like it is integrated in the main story...)

If you have to pick one, D:OS.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Awesome! posted:

It mostly comes down to whether you prefer turn-based or real-time with pause.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i am just hesitant to get d:os because it was clearly made with co-op in mind and i dont know how interested i am in "arguing" with an npc

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I know they have absolutely nothing to do with each other, but if you guys had the budget to choose one between Hitman, DOOM or Fallout 4, which one would it be? I'm a fan of the three franchises.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Returned Vermintide. Didn't realize it was crappy L4D:Warhammer Edition.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Didn't realize it was crappy L4D:Warhammer Edition.
but... literally the first sentence out of anyone's mouth when describing that game is "l4d with melee weapons and rats"

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I was gonna say that's straight up the only way I've ever heard it described.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
That's what I get for walking in blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Mystic Stylez posted:

I know they have absolutely nothing to do with each other, but if you guys had the budget to choose one between Hitman, DOOM or Fallout 4, which one would it be? I'm a fan of the three franchises.

It's between if you want frantic shoot'em up action (Doom) or stealthy planning (Hitman).
Get Fallout 4 when there's a GOTY with all the DLC for 10$ (or never)

• Locked thread