Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Probably be over a year before I can justify the cash to replace this PC. But hey, no early adopter tax is right. That's something to comfort our processor envy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I always think "if its actually good then they should send review samples as early as possible" but it never happens, good or bad.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Supposed leak of benchmarks from a reputable French hardware magazine

Grain of salt and all, but that's honestly really impressive, with a 3.15Ghz BC, 3.33Ghz Turbo keeping up with the i5-6600 @ 3.5Ghz base and 3.9Ghz Turbo. It looks like 4.2Ghz will be achievable as that's the clockspeed of the quad core prototypes.

Also if performance is real expect 150-599$ prices but maybe AMD will be stupid and charge Intel prices for getting this close to Intel performance.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Looks like I'll be hanging some more onto this overclocked 5820K of mine.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Looks like I'll be hanging some more onto this overclocked 5820K of mine.

I mean, why exactly would you switch to Zen from a 5820K though?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm hoping to score a cheap eight core CPU for rendering out stuff, if the IPC was similar enough and the Zen overclocks well. As it looks, the performance boost isn't big enough for the cost of a switch.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm hoping to score a cheap eight core CPU for rendering out stuff, if the IPC was similar enough and the Zen overclocks well. As it looks, the performance boost isn't big enough for the cost of a switch.

Would you have switched to a 6900K if it cost $500 or $600 instead of $1k? From what I can tell, a ~$500 6900K is about the best case we can expect out of the top end Zen SKU, and that would be killer if they did!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

If the chip is reasonably cheaper than intel cpu's, I'll upgrade from my 920. Supposing the chipsets and mobos will be OK this time around.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If their per-core performance can match my 4.2GHz 2600k for less than an Intel equivalent, I'll probably go AMD.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Performance is Broadwell-E and and almost Skylake power consumption, I'd say it's pretty good, at least for someone like me who will be moving from Haswell quad to a 4/8 or 6/12 Ryzen. I wonder if OEMs are chomping at the bit for Zen CPU's because they can exploit their relationship with AMD more and get better margins.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You're all doing the price/performance math, and to be fair, so am I, but based on my inputs, my output is "DEAR loving GOD GET ME OFF THIS loving PHENOM II X4" ALREADY"

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Is there going to be a decent 4-core option for those of us who don't need 8-cores, but would like to spend less than the cost of a 6600k?

Or is it all still up in the air?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'd imagine a 4c8t amd to cost around 200 bux give or take. Make it close to 300 and people will just buy an i7

e: On the other hand, it's entirely possible AMD is going to offload all of their chips onto HPC customers for the first several months, and will just set prices to match intel on desktop and not care at all until much later if they actually sell large numbers.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You're all doing the price/performance math, and to be fair, so am I, but based on my inputs, my output is "DEAR loving GOD GET ME OFF THIS loving PHENOM II X4" ALREADY"

I'm still on a Phenom II X6, I feel you

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Would you have switched to a 6900K if it cost $500 or $600 instead of $1k? From what I can tell, a ~$500 6900K is about the best case we can expect out of the top end Zen SKU, and that would be killer if they did!
You have to consider that I already have an LGA 2011-3 mainboard that I can fit the 6900K into, where as with the Zen I'd also need to get a new mainboard. So one question is whether Intel would drop the price to match the cost of a Zen+Mainboard or less. But we're talking about Intel here, it might not even happen.

Also, there's the silicon lottery to consider. I still haven't researched how much drama it is to overclock an 6900K to 4GHz stably. By drama I mean voltage required for a stable overclock.

--edit: I think I've misunderstood the question.

Either way, I guess it'd be worthwhile to wait for a few more benchmarks. If I read that blurry text correctly, the Zen ran at 3.4GHz turbo, while the 6900K did run at 3.7GHz. If you were scale the benchmark linearly with the clock (which we know doesn't work like that), the Zen would still be 10% short of the Broadwell-E.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 24, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Truga posted:

I'd imagine a 4c8t amd to cost around 200 bux give or take. Make it close to 300 and people will just buy an i7

e: On the other hand, it's entirely possible AMD is going to offload all of their chips onto HPC customers for the first several months, and will just set prices to match intel on desktop and not care at all until much later if they actually sell large numbers.

Server market is where the money is, if they somehow get to double digit x86 server market share then Dr. Su has saved the company.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaustianQ posted:

Supposed leak of benchmarks from a reputable French hardware magazine

Grain of salt and all, but that's honestly really impressive, with a 3.15Ghz BC, 3.33Ghz Turbo keeping up with the i5-6600 @ 3.5Ghz base and 3.9Ghz Turbo. It looks like 4.2Ghz will be achievable as that's the clockspeed of the quad core prototypes.

Also if performance is real expect 150-599$ prices but maybe AMD will be stupid and charge Intel prices for getting this close to Intel performance.

Had a chance to sit down and think on this. One hopes this is not production silicon, since it isn't 3.4 GHz. One also hopes that Lisa Su isn't going to have to eat crow.

Seventeen weekdays left to get it right, boys. Don't gently caress this up.

I'm thinking in the end, we'll get 80% of a 6900K, but if they go any lower than 75% of the price of a 6900K before letting Intel move and then undercutting them some more, I think it's bad and leaving money on the table.

....god know how that math works out for Kaby Lake, though.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 24, 2016

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....god know how that math works out for Kaby Lake, though.

Probably in a fashion summed up "a day late and a dollar short".

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Clocks are actually 3.15Ghz base and 3.3Ghz Turbo, it's not finalized this was that ES silicon that appeared in the wild like 4 months ago.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

FaustianQ posted:

Clocks are actually 3.15Ghz base and 3.3Ghz Turbo, it's not finalized this was that ES silicon that appeared in the wild like 4 months ago.

If the Intel ES chips that crop up on ebay are any indication, production silicon will probably have an extra 10% or so.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
What's the max amount of RAM on the new AMD platfrom? Or is that still a mystery?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I don't think the official RAM limits have been given yet but I'd be surprised if it couldn't handle 4x 16GB DIMMs for desktop usage.

Probably won't handle that many DIMMs at a high clockspeed though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

FaustianQ posted:

Hmmm, this gets it within 4% of the 6900K, assuming it scales linearly from 3.3 to 3.7GHz.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Haquer posted:

I'm still on a Phenom II X6, I feel you

A year ago I finally played musical chairs and pulled the 705e out of the server and moved my 1100T there, and went Intel on my personal desktop for the first time since a 733 mhz coppermine mounted on a Slocket adapter...

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I don't think the official RAM limits have been given yet but I'd be surprised if it couldn't handle 4x 16GB DIMMs for desktop usage.

What is the reasoning behind this? Does the 6700k have the same limitations?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Well the current old FX processors can handle 32GB so it's logical to double that, at least, especially if they want to sell a server version of this thing.

Edit: an 8c/16t Intel on an x99 motherboard supports 128GB though

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 25, 2016

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ItBurns posted:

It does, mad 64gb ram supported. Which I mean sounds pretty reasonable to me.

What's the relationship between max ram/number of ram channels and pins on the CPU again? I recall that might be a limiting factor.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

ItBurns posted:

Its a desktop oriented product not a server/HPC oriented product + 64GB is still a whole lot of RAM. 32GB is more than enough for most people right now. 16GB is probably the sweet spot in terms of capacity and cost. That will change over time but generally its one of those things that is relatively slow to change.

Yes the i7 6700K has the same limitations. Supporting large amounts of RAM is something reserved for server/HPC products. Its part product segmentation and part for practical reasons because running all those traces and making the CPU package to support either more DIMMs is expensive and difficult and so is designing and testing a memory controller that will support very high capacity DIMMs too.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Its a desktop oriented product not a server/HPC oriented product + 64GB is still a whole lot of RAM. 32GB is more than enough for most people right now. 16GB is probably the sweet spot in terms of capacity and cost. That will change over time but generally its one of those things that is relatively slow to change.

Yes the i7 6700K has the same limitations. Supporting large amounts of RAM is something reserved for server/HPC products. Its part product segmentation and part for practical reasons because running all those traces and making the CPU package to support either more DIMMs is expensive and difficult and so is designing and testing a memory controller that will support very high capacity DIMMs too.

I have 32gb now and it's absolutely crippling. Anyways, I was referring more so to this...

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

What clockspeed does Sky/Kaby lake support with 4x16gb? What is the reasoning behind the AMD platfrom falling short?

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 26, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That was my last AMD cpu, and my favorite. But good god man I see you in GPU threads and gaming threads so promise that no matter what happens get something because the performance difference between my OC'd Phenom 965 BE and a plain jane no OC 4670k was stark. At least in online games iirc. Not that there's a huge difference between today's Intels and that one but it adds up a bit and the phenom isnt getting any faster

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, there's the silicon lottery to consider. I still haven't researched how much drama it is to overclock an 6900K to 4GHz stably. By drama I mean voltage required for a stable overclock.

My 5820K does 4.13 GHz at stock voltages.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Even the base 6800k does 128GB. The only segmentation here is that the small-die 2C and 4C chips don't support it - because they don't have a quad channel memory controller. Broadwell doubled it to 32 GB per channel across the board.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 26, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

My 5820K does 4.13 GHz at stock voltages.
Mine runs at 4GHz with 1.1V. It didn't run stable at stock. Then again, in retrospect, I think the first attempt I've also ramped the cache ratio up to 40, which I haven't done again.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

ItBurns posted:

I have 32gb now and it's absolutely crippling.
That is pretty unusual. Most desktop apps don't need anything like that. I rarely max out my system's 16GB and don't really feel constrained by it at all. I might go to 32GB when I upgrade but if I do that its more because I can afford it + I don't like piecemeal upgrades much anymore and not because I think I'll really need it. You doing some sort of heavy number crunching or something?

ItBurns posted:

What clockspeed does Sky/Kaby lake support with 4x16gb?
Official peak for DDR4 is 2133 for Skylake, dunno about Kabylake off hand. Its quite possible to get faster than that with 4 DIMM's but I have no idea what the exact peak speed would be. Just that, in general, your peak RAM speeds tend to be lower with all slots filled vs only 2. That was true with older Intel and AMD platforms as well. My i7 2600K for instance won't support DDR3 1600 with all 4 slots filled. I have to leave it at 1333 for it to run properly.

ItBurns posted:

What is the reasoning behind the AMD platfrom falling short?
Falling short how? There is nothing to indicate Zen would fall short vs the i7 6700K on either peak RAM capacity or peak DDR4 RAM speed with all 4 DIMM slots filled.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Even the base 6800k does 128GB.
Isn't that chip a rebadged Xeon though? Same thing with the 6900K, its just a rebadged Xeon. Pretty much everything else they make still has a 64GB or less limit for desktops.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The only segmentation here is that the small-die 2C and 4C chips don't support it - because they don't have a quad channel memory controller. Broadwell doubled it to 32 GB per channel across the board.
I don't see how this addresses what I was saying. There are practical reasons for production segmentation as I pointed out.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Isn't that chip a rebadged Xeon though? Same thing with the 6900K, its just a rebadged Xeon. Pretty much everything else they make still has a 64GB or less limit for desktops.

By this metric, so are the 6700K and below, they are market segmentation versions of the Xeon E3s without ECC (except the i3s) and sometimes without hyperthreading.

The big-die chips do make up a minority of all the chips Intel sells (in both desktop and server markets), but its not like they're some secret, the 5820K and 6800K are priced right alongside the 6700K.

quote:

I don't see how this addresses what I was saying. There are practical reasons for production segmentation as I pointed out.

This isn't a market segmentation thing, dude. HEDT/Xeon E5 are a totally separate die design, they are much larger.

But in general it is the same-ish memory controller, and it can address 32 GB on each channel. The big chips have more channels because they have more die space and more justification since they have 2.5x more cores.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 26, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
For what it's worth I'm fairly constrained on 16GB

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Paul MaudDib posted:

By this metric, so are the 6700K and below, they are market segmentation versions of the Xeon E3s without ECC (except the i3s) and sometimes without hyperthreading.
That doesn't make sense. There are substantial differences between a 6800 and 6700 or below and are physically different dies. The same is not true with a 6800 vs a Xeon.

Paul MaudDib posted:

This isn't a market segmentation thing, dude.
Partly it is. There are technical (as I mentioned before) and profit oriented reasons for both Intel and AMD to make so their higher profit margin parts have special features that the other cheaper parts don't.

Paul MaudDib posted:

But in general it is the same-ish memory controller, and it can address 32 GB on each channel. The big chips have more channels because they have more die space and more justification since they have 2.5x more cores.
Interesting to note: Kabylake-X is supposed to be a quad core part with 4 memory channels and its a 14nm part just like the i7-6700K. I have no idea how much die space the memory channels pads take up but if die space really was the limiting factor that probably wouldn't be possible short of Intel disabling quite a few of the CPU cores to make a shippable 4 core part which wouldn't make sense unless yields were terrible but I doubt that would be the case.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Wow you guys use a lot more ram than me. I can barely touch 8 gb and even then I'm pretty sure thats with a memory leak or problem in some way. 16 is nearly wasteful for me but the cost difference was almost nothing for DDR4 at the time

32 gb not enough? VMS?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
In my case, yes. VMs and CAD. I accept that I have to get Windows 10 eventually, but when I do, it's going to be on MY terms.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

That doesn't make sense. There are substantial differences between a 6800 and 6700 or below and are physically different dies. The same is not true with a 6800 vs a Xeon.

Partly it is. There are technical (as I mentioned before) and profit oriented reasons for both Intel and AMD to make so their higher profit margin parts have special features that the other cheaper parts don't.

There are consumer counterparts to every single chip in the Xeon lineup. In fact, all consumer chips are explicitly Xeons with some of their features fused off. An i3 is a high-leakage Xeon E3 with 2 of its cores turned off. An i5 is a high-leakage Xeon E3 with its hyperthreading and ECC turned off. An i7 is a high-leakage Xeon E3 with its ECC turned off. There's no debate on this point, consumer chips are the defective runts and datacenters pay big bucks for the pick of the litter. This is how everyone does it, AMD included. FX chips are lovely Opteron rejects just like Intel consumer chips.

Yes, there are technical reasons (not every feature is functional on every chip, chips differ in leakage, etc) as well as marketing reasons. But you are totally ignoring the point here, which is that Intel is not cutting anything out from its consumer lineup in terms of max RAM capacity.

The max RAM capacity of a Xeon E3 V5 is 64 GB, just like the consumer i3/i5/i7 versions. The max capacity of a Xeon E5 v4 is 128 GB per socket, just like the consumer i7 HEDT chips. The E7 parts, well those don't have a consumer counterpart because there's no consumers who need 3 TB of memory per socket.

But for any consumer chip out there - the Xeon has exactly the same memory capacity. That's the physical limit of the memory controller - 32 GB per channel on their scale-out style chips. The E5-based parts have a wider quad-channel memory controller, but it's the exact same controller you get in the HEDT i7 chips (minus the ECC of course).

quote:

Interesting to note: Kabylake-X is supposed to be a quad core part with 4 memory channels and its a 14nm part just like the i7-6700K. I have no idea how much die space the memory channels pads take up but if die space really was the limiting factor that probably wouldn't be possible short of Intel disabling quite a few of the CPU cores to make a shippable 4 core part which wouldn't make sense unless yields were terrible but I doubt that would be the case.

Kabylake-X is supposed to be dual-channel. Look at the cache - it's just a E3 die stuck onto an E5 socket. In fact I would speculate that it may actually take the 6800K's price point - since the 6800K is already priced the same as the 6700K. There's nowhere for a "7750K" to slot in unless the 7800K is getting more expensive.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/skylake-x-kaby-lake-x

If a quad-channel 4-core part did exist, I think it would be at least $100 more expensive than the LGA1151 parts, because it would be a weirdo specialty part.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Also if anything you should be way more concerned about them fusing off ECC RAM than not putting enough memory capacity on there. Row-hammer attacks are extremely viable right now and open up all kinds of weird attack vectors. In comparison, the number of people who need more than 128 GB of RAM is pretty much zero right now. Even VMs and poo poo are going to run out of cores long before they run out of RAM - and if you are really that edge case then you either buy a dual-socket board (gets you up to 256 GB) or you buy the E7 scale-up processors instead of the E3/E5 scale-out chips (which gets you up to 24 TB).

The Zen is going to compete much more with the E5-tier parts than the E3-tier parts. Which is why it supports 128 GB of RAM (like the E5s/HEDTs) in the first place. However, it's only dual-channel not quad. Its memory controller handles more per channel.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 26, 2016

• Locked thread