Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Filthy Casual posted:

Nah, its time for you to do the work for a change. Except it won't be work, because TCW is great and, unlike the movies, provides reasons to root for the prequel cast.

TCW and Rebels are both good and should be watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
TCW definitely improves the prequels and related EUs. It takes the stance of "What if you took the PT and added good writing and direction that felt like Star Wars?". We can't have a PT reboot yet, so we get this.

TCW Anakin would have a comically low patience for a work meeting with anyone about bureaucratic space laser politics and hologram leaks, so I thought the pun and choking was appropriate and funny.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Nitrousoxide posted:

TCW and Rebels are both good and should be watched.

TCW has a whole bunch of good arcs and a whole lot of bad. It's pretty much 5050 with a lot of the good back loaded in the later seasons after a major art upgrade. Aftee some kinda lame first episodes it starts exploring some interesting and weird aspects of the universe with the anthology format letting them wander off from the core cast into proper batshit land on occasion.

Rebels on the other hand is.... fine. It's clearly on a fraction of the budget with a fraction of the scope. It's every jedi in training plot ever, and to my mind only gets past OK and towards good as you hit the midseason/end of season arcs and the stakes get raised or they go somewhere interesting.

Of course, rebels has chopper. You'll like chopper

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 23, 2016

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Filthy Casual posted:

I find your lack of taste disturbing.

Your lack of faith quote is not a pun.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Which CLone Wars episode is basically Vietnam but with Clone Troopers? I remember that being super good.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Which CLone Wars episode is basically Vietnam but with Clone Troopers? I remember that being super good.

Season 4, Episodes 7-10, the Umbara arc? The one with the new Jedi commander who gave no fucks about the clones?

The Clone Wars, at least in my opinion, was really hard to get through until about the third season, where it was obvious that George got bored and left them to it. It then went uphill in a hurry, with only a few groaners (R2's astromech droid unit with the tiny commander, urgh). By season 6 there's some really twisted, compelling poo poo going on.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Are either series available to stream anywhere?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Clone Wars is on Netflix. Rebels is on Disney XD :filez:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Soundtrack is on Spotify. It's quite underwhelming to be honest. Not actively bad, but few things that takes your attention.

I like "When has become now" because it invokes the Death Star/Imperial theme from ANH, which I always liked in its simplicity.

"Hope" is terrific. Even without the added epicness of a Vader tantrum.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

"When does then come become now?"

"Soon.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I think people are forgetting the OT had dry sarcasm (a type of humor) from Vader with lines like "Apology accepted".

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

BigglesSWE posted:

Soundtrack is on Spotify. It's quite underwhelming to be honest. Not actively bad, but few things that takes your attention.

I like "When has become now" because it invokes the Death Star/Imperial theme from ANH, which I always liked in its simplicity.

"Hope" is terrific. Even without the added epicness of a Vader tantrum.

David W. Collins, a former sound designer for LucasArts (and a guy who really knows his poo poo when it comes to music) has a semi-regular podcast where he dissects John Williams' Star Wars music and both shows and tells you what makes it so good. In the recent episode he analyses some of the themes from Rogue One:
http://www.rebelforceradio.com/shows/2016/12/21/star-wars-oxygen-vol-38-rogue-one-part-1
He picked out the most obvious tracks for this episode, and I'm curious to see whether he can get much out of the rest of the soundtrack.

If you're at all interested in Williams' soundtracks, you owe it to yourself to listen to the podcast from the beginning. The first handful of episodes or so go through the entire Episode IV score, and they're just treasure troves of information.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Justin Godscock posted:

I think people are forgetting the OT had dry sarcasm (a type of humor) from Vader with lines like "Apology accepted".

Even "I am altering the deal. Pray that I don't alter it any further." is kind of a weird bigdogging thing to say.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Yep but not puns.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man I hope Leia wasn't gonna have a big role in 8 and 9

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Calaveron posted:

Man I hope Leia wasn't gonna have a big role in 8 and 9

Yeah :( heart attack and then 10 minutes with no breathing before resucitation is not a good sign

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

It's not like Disney doesn't possess digital necromantic powers...

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Goddammit 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Randy Quaid screaming "SEE???? SEE?E!?!" at everybody who will listen

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
JJ Adams desperately pulling a Lucas, switching Han's and Leia's roles around in TFA

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

jisforjosh posted:

Yeah :( heart attack and then 10 minutes with no breathing before resucitation is not a good sign

Oh no :(

Carrie Fisher is such a cool lady, she deserves better than to be another victim of this hell year.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Just saw the movie, overall thought it was pretty good, Vader scene was awesome and K-droid was cool.

But that British guy with the bad arm that Captain Handsome shot at the start? Holy moly was his acting terrible, forget about the bad CGI people, how did he make the final cut?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Philip Rivers posted:

It's not like Disney doesn't possess digital necromantic powers...

Yeah pretty much, a few more films' worth of refinement and we'll be at the point where reboots needing recasts will seem weird to people.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Radio! posted:

Oh no :(

Carrie Fisher is such a cool lady, she deserves better than to be another victim of this hell year.

Cocaine is helluva a drug. It even effects you years after you stop using it.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Young Freud posted:

Cocaine is helluva a drug. It even effects you years after you stop using it.

I'm pretty sure Martin Scorsese isn't actually alive, he just did so much coke that he's remained animated decades after he quit.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Lemon posted:

But that British guy with the bad arm that Captain Handsome shot at the start? Holy moly was his acting terrible, forget about the bad CGI people, how did he make the final cut?

That way we wouldn't feel as bad about him getting murdered.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I like to think Kinect's pure white uniform with long flowing cape wasn't Empire-standard and everybody just rolled their eyes at him being a dipshit

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Calaveron posted:

I like to think Kinect's pure white uniform with long flowing cape wasn't Empire-standard and everybody just rolled their eyes at him being a dipshit

I loved this because this dude had such an inflated opinion of himself, of course he was a white uniform and his own precious snowflake personal guard that he doesn't even care to send into battle until way closer to the end of the final battle. And it also worked for me because of course you wouldn't see bullshit like that after both Tarkin secures power in that chunk of the galaxy on top of the Emperor dissolving the senate completely in A New Hope. Koenig is like the last vestige of a guy that's more a political rear end in a top hat than a military leader (Vader call him out on this too).

The CGI Tarkin was really really good, it only got me a couple of times when it blinked. CGI Leia was cool too.

I luckily went into this movie blind beyond what was in the earlier trailer, so I ended up being really happy with it. The characters didn't come off as weak to me though, I got a lot out of the limited screen time and dialogue each got. I don't feel competent enough to describe why but this felt a lot like a wuxia or east Asian fantasy flick to me where the main character is all the little motivational conflicts between everyone instead of it actually being about the story and background of its billed protagonist, so it really sat well with me. I almost thought even the flashback at the beginning wasn't even needed and it could have just started with an action scene that involved Cassian or Jyn doing whatever prior to where the present times of the film kick off.

The sort of untrained spiritual side of the force being prevalent in it was cool too. I got the impression even in the OT that everyone knows very vaguely what the force is and there are plenty of people who believe the force is a thing, just that there's no more straight up trained since youth Jedi rolling around en masse and "may the force be with you" is like a generic "god bless" or whatever. Force Awakens didn't actually have it in the finished movie but Max von Sydow's character was a member/head of like the Church of the Force or something which was a similar idea. And I liked the idea of Chirrut/etc. massing around this ancient ancient city and being able to kinda sorta get a feel for how the force works on their own.

This movie did make me want to see an entire movie just about Saw, the guy too badass to be in the Rebel Alliance. :black101:

I didn't even know there were re-shoots, I do hope eventually those unused scenes are revealed or leaked at some point.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I giggled at their line about how was too extreme for the Rebellion. Like, you're fighting a government that's building a planet killing space laser. What the hell was Saw doing that Mon Mothma was like 'aw geez that's too far'?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Aaronicon posted:

I giggled at their line about how was too extreme for the Rebellion. Like, you're fighting a government that's building a planet killing space laser. What the hell was Saw doing that Mon Mothma was like 'aw geez that's too far'?

Based on what we saw on Jedah, maybe he continually conducts attacks on occupying Empire forces while endangering civilian bystanders. He gives no fucks about collateral damage I guess?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Criminal Minded posted:

I'm pretty sure Martin Scorsese isn't actually alive, he just did so much coke that he's remained animated decades after he quit.

Much like Keith Richards, who seems to have stumbled on the formula for immortality by banging himself full of every potentially intoxicating substance known to man.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

teagone posted:

Based on what we saw on Jedah, maybe he continually conducts attacks on occupying Empire forces while endangering civilian bystanders. He gives no fucks about collateral damage I guess?

It's this. The Rebellion wanted to be the squeaky-clean resistance fighters, not the murderous pillaging Soviet-partisan style resistance fighters. Executing an ambush in a population center with civilians around, some of them children, means crossing some ethical boundaries. Saw's been fighting against enemy occupiers since the Clone Wars, when it was an entirely different occupying force. It's hard to tell from the film exactly what value Kyber crystals even have to resistance fighters, beyond that the Empire wants them and, therefore, gently caress the Empire.

Vindicator fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 24, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

When I saw it I got the impression that Saw has some reverence for the force/whills/whatever, but also like if the Empire is mining the cyrstals for their super secret Death Star then I'd assume their presence is making the city a pretty lovely place to live.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Rebellion didn't just want to overthrow the Empire, they wanted to restore the Republic and govern afterward. So they were big on avoiding collateral damage.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Saw was trained by jedi maybe it simply annoys him since he knows jedi are the real deal

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vindicator posted:

It's this. The Rebellion wanted to be the squeaky-clean resistance fighters, not the murderous pillaging Soviet-partisan style resistance fighters. Executing an ambush in a population center with civilians around, some of them children, means crossing some ethical boundaries. Saw's been fighting against enemy occupiers since the Clone Wars, when it was an entirely different occupying force. It's hard to tell from the film exactly what value Kyber crystals even have to resistance fighters, beyond that the Empire wants them and, therefore, gently caress the Empire.

Kyber crystals are what the Jedi temple on Jedha was made of, so they're defacing a long-standing cultural artifact to get the crystals. I believe it's also mentioned that Kyber is what's used to power lightsabers, so it's stands to reason it's highly sensitive to the Force. It's why Chirrut can sense Jen's pendant from a distance.

I actually thought it was a cool detail, that the Death Star is basically a giant lightsaber.

FuturePastNow posted:

The Rebellion didn't just want to overthrow the Empire, they wanted to restore the Republic and govern afterward. So they were big on avoiding collateral damage.

Considering that the Rebellion == Senate, they were trying to peacefully overthrow Palpatine's power structure, with open fighting the Empire as a last resort. There was probably a lot of skullduggery going on, with the Rebellion trying to convince Imperial forces to defect or turn on the Empire when the time was right, training Rebellion militia, protecting targets of the Empire, theft of war material, etc. Given the size of space and the Empire, an overdue patrol frigate that's been destroyed, a small mutiny at an outpost, theft of photon torpedoes from a garrison armory, or an escape from an isolated prison camp on the Outer Rim would largely be lost, ignored, or misidentified as criminal activity, so even routine raids and sabotage would largely be left to the regional governors, who might cover it up less they find themselves on the end of a Vader force choke. That's why the attack on Imperial mining facility and later the data storage site are such a turning point, because those places reported directly to the Emperor (be it through Grand Moff Tarkin), not some Moff underling. With the Death Star and the dissolution of the Senate closing off an hope of peaceful resolution, open fighting was inevitable.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah even if I hadn't seen A New Hope, just in Rogue One itself this is a huge turning point from the rebellion being a thing different moffs and guys have workplace disputes about how to manipulate/contain to Vader himself rolling out to personally hunt down the location of and destroy the rebel HQ.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I saw Rogue One twice last weekend and I really liked it. A lot. I went in fresh without having watched too many trailers or anything, and it exceeded any expectations I had for it.

Also, from the previous page - Clone Wars is pretty awesome once you get through season 2.

And I've seen the OT more times than I care to admit, and the Vader pun really didn't seem that put of place to me? I don't get the angst over that.

As for Tarkin, there were only two small moments I felt were a little jarring in terms of thinking he looked digital. But I enjoyed that they resurrected the character.

And I'm halfway through it, but the Catalyst tie-in novel for Rogue One is pretty good.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The only thing that felt out of place with Vader is that James Earl Jones is old as gently caress. It's funny the way that happens with the passing of time but that's what you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
its cool that they synthesized entire actors and performances before vaders voice. thats sacred

• Locked thread