Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Craptacular! posted:

Thing is, this was never a big priority with law enforcement, compared to global dangers like crazy gunmen, sympathizers of crazy despots, etc. If the FBI couldn't be bothered to go after Reddit's pedo poo poo sitting right there in the open, what makes you think they care about your Plex account.

I don't mean to dare you that nothing's going to happen, but some people who pirate things seem to think the full force of the Snowden machine is going to be applied to them. Like you're going to go board a plane and the TSA worker will ask how you got two volumes of Naruto and the de-specialized edition of Empire Strikes Back on your laptop.

No one cares about cops, everyone cares about groups like the RIAA and MPAA or companies like Sony Pictures or Columbia Entertainment who will sue the living poo poo out of Amazon/Plex/whoever for hosting pirated poo poo on their web space. The money is what matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The worst likely thing to happen is you upload a bunch of movies to your Google Drive and your entire google account gets disabled without notice. Yah, totally not worth the risk.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Is there no way to loop a video? I have a 20min fireplace video I want looped on the living room TV but I can't figure it out. I have no idea why you can't make a playlist of the same video. It only lets you add it once.

Housh fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 20, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Where might I start troubleshooting "There was a problem playing this item" issues? Videos start playing fine, then after a random period of time (sometimes several minutes, sometimes seconds) stop and display that error message (sometimes, depending on the client.) This happens on wireless or wired, Chromecast, ChromeOS client, Windows client, etc. All the media are HEVC with various audio. There are no disk space issues. PMS is running on Win10.

I tried checking out the log files; in the "Plex Media Server" file there was the following:

code:
Dec 21, 2016 00:25:15.003 [9332] VERBOSE - NetworkInterface: ignoring adapter 'Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1' (::1,127.0.0.1) because it has no gateway
Dec 21, 2016 00:25:15.003 [9332] DEBUG - Network change notification but nothing changed.
Dec 21, 2016 00:25:15.004 [9332] DEBUG - Network change.
Dec 21, 2016 00:25:15.004 [9332] DEBUG - NetworkInterface: Notified of network changed (force=0)
Network fuckery could certainly explain what's happening, however at this point there's only one network connection (Ethernet) active on that system, and I'm simultaneously connected to it via CRD and that connection didn't get interrupted. Nothing else in that log explains anything; it just seems to be listing the server's status over and over, every second. Also, for reference, I played one file as a test, and it stopped after the first ~3 minutes; then I resumed it and it played another ~20 minutes uninterrupted. Any advice?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Housh posted:

Is there no way to loop a video? I have a 20min fireplace video I want looped on the living room TV but I can't figure it out. I have no idea why you can't make a playlist of the same video. It only lets you add it once.

Plex cant do alot of special things like this. Another feature i would love is playback speed. 1.25x, 1.5x and 2.0. Youtube does this, and its very useful for things like instructional videos, interviews, speeches, etc.

One thing you could easily do is use mkvmerge to append multiple copies of the fireplace video.

Theres also free fireplace apps you could use

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone else has an issue that Plex is grabbing a really low resolution, pixelated mess of a poster for some movies recently? It's fixable if I go into the web view and pick a different variant, but a bit annoying. Not sure which source is providing it, it's like it's a thumbnail rather than the real thing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, I have that problem constantly but I thought it's because my library was a mess. Kodi was much better at that part of things for me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

doublepost

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Everything was working fine for months and now remote access stopped working (buffers forever) and Christmas is ruined.

edit: it looks like it's giving me the buffer issue when things are played on the local network too.

Housh fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 22, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Check for free disk space. Reboot the Plex server. One of those should fix it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

There is 18 gb free on the drive pms is installed on and 3 TB free on the drive the media being served is on. How can I check or set where plex is making the transcode temp files even though I think it should have enough space.

I tried about everything. Everything plays fine locally. I tried using an ethernet connection and wireless. All ports forwarded. Static IP. Speed tested everything. It's a fast connection and the computer is a brand new i7. Reinstalled PMS twice.

Could PlexPy have messed things up? Everything was working fine until I took it off the wired connection and used the wireless adapter. After that I noticed PlexPy stopped working properly and then remote connections started stuttering and re-buffering. PlexPy only seems to work properly when the server is wired into the router. I reverted everything back but it still can't serve remotely.

It does seem like it's not transcoding fast enough like the drive is filling up but I can't see 18gb not being enough to transcode a 720p video to 4mbps.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Issues aside, why does the drive that has PMS installed on it only have 18GB free? How big is the drive, and is it your system/OS drive?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah it's a 250gb SSD for the OS. It's filling up and I need to swap it out with a 500gb evo come boxing day. Should I reinstall PMS on the western blue hdd with the media?

edit: anyone else using 1.3.3.3148-b38628e can confirm to get remote access to work? I have a feeling this is a bug.

Housh fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 22, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Housh posted:

Yeah it's a 250gb SSD for the OS. It's filling up and I need to swap it out with a 500gb evo come boxing day. Should I reinstall PMS on the western blue hdd with the media?

I'd honestly just try and free up some space on your 250GB SSD. Turn of Hibernation if you have it on to delete the .sys file it generates, run disk cleanup, and delete any old Windows installations left behind in an update or any old restore points that are eating up space. Your buffering issues might not be related to the amount of free space on your SSD, but it doesn't hurt to do some house cleaning :)

Also, taking your server off the wired connection and using a wireless adapter maybe caused yoru router to assign your PC a new IP? Guessing that might have happened and could fumbled things up a bit. Any reason why you switched from wired to wireless for your server?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

teagone posted:

Also, taking your server off the wired connection and using a wireless adapter maybe assigned your PC a new IP? Guessing that might have happened and could fumbled things up a bit. Any reason why you switched?
I moved the PC downstairs to see if I could hook it to my ailing 27" iMac in target display mode using displayport. I've been using it hooked to a 1080p TV. Looks amazing on that 7 year old apple display compared to my TV upstairs.

Anyways, I thought the IP got messed as well but I got back to a static IP and the port is properly forwarded through my NAT. I kept thinking I must've messed things up moving the computer downstairs but I reverted everything back. I use the iMac to serve my music library through Plex and that seems to still work fine remotely.

I wonder if it's a transcoder bug in the latest release of PMS. I can't find a link to download 1.3.2 to give that a shot.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Housh posted:

I moved the PC downstairs to see if I could hook it to my ailing 27" iMac in target display mode using displayport. I've been using it hooked to a 1080p TV. Looks amazing on that 7 year old apple display compared to my TV upstairs.

Anyways, I thought the IP got messed as well but I got back to a static IP and the port is properly forwarded through my NAT. I kept thinking I must've messed things up moving the computer downstairs but I reverted everything back. I use the iMac to serve my music library through Plex and that seems to still work fine remotely.

I wonder if it's a transcoder bug in the latest release of PMS. I can't find a link to download 1.3.2 to give that a shot.

You should still have the installer for 1.3.2 if you updated using Plex Web. All PMS update files are located in Username\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Updates assuming your Plex Server is a Windows based PC.

Before trying to roll back though, grab the latest version from plex.tv/downloads and open the installer. Try doing a 'repair' to see if that helps. If it doesn't you can try rolling back to a previous version, though in my experience, that ends up being more of a hassle than it's worth.

Housh posted:

edit: anyone else using 1.3.3.3148-b38628e can confirm to get remote access to work? I have a feeling this is a bug.

I am using this latest version and remote access is working fine.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Housh posted:

In general you want to keep sufficient free space on SSDs for wear leveling purposes. That drive should probably have upwards of 50 GB free, and that's before any space you leave available for the transcoding cache (although I'd probably put that on an HDD.)

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Thanks for the storage tip. I managed to free up quite a bit of space on that drive now. Still having the issue with remote access. I posted on the plex pass forum with a log file.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seriously, don't underestimate the responsiveness of the Plex devs for Plex Pass support. I've had to hit them up twice now for the same issue and received extremely quick resolution both times.

My Roku TV was, for some reason, stuck on an old version of Roku firmware. I suspect it was due to being tagged as part of an old beta test. I could even do a successful offline upgrade to 7.5, but as soon as it connected to the internet, it would ping Roku's servers, which would tell it that 6.x was the latest and it would force-downgrade itself. While none of this was Plex's fault, they updated the Plex app for Roku twice where it would no longer boot on the 6.x firmware. Each time they re-tweaked the Plex Pass Preview version of the app and pushed it to Roku which resolved the issue in under 24 hours each time.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Plex Pass support is amazing. After 4-5 hours it looks like my ISP is throttling my speed. The major speed test sites show my advertised upload speeds but running iperf from my host to iperf.he.net showed an initial burst at the advertised 10Mbps only to drop to 1Mbps for the remaining duration of the iperf run.

My ISP is denying it and blaming my cable modem. Saying my ARRIS model has had issues. I think it's a load of poo poo and I trust the Plex support. Either they are throttling everyone for the holidays cause it's cable modem or unlimited isn't actually unlimited and I hit some sort of invisible monthly cap.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Housh posted:

Plex Pass support is amazing. After 4-5 hours it looks like my ISP is throttling my speed. The major speed test sites show my advertised upload speeds but running iperf from my host to iperf.he.net showed an initial burst at the advertised 10Mbps only to drop to 1Mbps for the remaining duration of the iperf run.

My ISP is denying it and blaming my cable modem. Saying my ARRIS model has had issues. I think it's a load of poo poo and I trust the Plex support. Either they are throttling everyone for the holidays cause it's cable modem or unlimited isn't actually unlimited and I hit some sort of invisible monthly cap.

That doesn't sound like typical throttling symptoms. If you have an older Arris modem they may be right. Arris firmware can sometimes be poo poo. Did they offer to replace it? Or is it yours? If it is yours did you check to see if there is a newer update for it?

Don't get trapped in the false equivalency of "I haven't had problems before/problems with other services". Troubleshoot it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

It's theirs and I've had it since 2012 docsis 3 switch over. They want me to call back in the morning to try somethings and then send over a tech to change the modem if the issue isn't fixed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Are you paying them a fee for it? The first thing I did when getting cable was invest $80 in my own modem, because gently caress the $10/mo 2 year minimum contract.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

You have to use their modems so it's "free" with the service.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
The whole point of Docsis is you don't have to use their modem and you should also make sure you aren't actually paying a fee.

A common "trick" is to not charge a fee outright on your bill, but offer a $5/month discount or something if you supply your own modem. That is a de facto equipment fee no matter how it shows up on your bill.

No cable franchise in the US is going to overlook ways to bill you so make sure. Maybe check BroadbandReports.com as well, see if there is a discussion forum for your local cable franchise operator that has more details (it will be filled with people complaining about this or that but sometimes good specific info can be found).

If it truly is something they are throwing in then I would demand a new modem anyway. A 4 year old Arris cable modem is likely to be a piece of poo poo no matter what obvious problems you may or may not have and 4 years is more than long enough to justify getting a new one.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Canadian Telecom is pretty bad if you yanks think you are getting hosed. I have a choice between two companies.

I called in today as instructed last night since the "real" tech support is only open during office hours. They put me on hold and then I could hear them fooling around on speaker phone making oinking sounds. I told them I can hear them and they hung up.

Called back in and spoke to a manager. Two people may be losing their jobs for Christmas. They finally could see drops on my line and booked a service appointment Monday morning. I asked about the modem and they said it is free with the service and then you must return it. It's like a rental but we are forced to use their modems specially if you have VOiP. The cable line has a lock nut fusing it to the modem. I would need pliers to take it off. I asked for a new modem and they said on Monday the service technician can swap it out.

It sucks that this is happening for Christmas because my extended family was planning on watching all the classics off my plex server. I got the month free on my cable bill because of the horrible service but it still sucks.

Watch it be node congestion.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Going all in on this thing since I got the lifetime pass for the sale.

Transferred over my PLEX server from an older P4 I had laying around that couldn't even transcode 1080p to my old Core 4 Quad 8440. I can probably shove some more RAM in there as I think it only has 4GB currently.

Used this guide and it worked like a charm:
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201370363-Move-an-Install-to-Another-System

5 GB tar.gz file for all my settings and metadata! Super glad I didn't have to download all that again. (though I think some of it might have been video preview when I was testing that, I've since turned it off).

Incidentally, anyone know if it's possible to put my admin account at the end of the user list instead of the beginning? It has a PIN on it and I have a separate account for myself personally, so I'd rather have it hidden or at the end if at all possible.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My Plex Pass expires this spring and I turned off auto-renew last year, and I'm looking at going to Emby.

We're using Plex as a streaming service for our DVR recordings, and a good number of things get recorded and then never appear thanks to discrepancies in titles etc between the Zap2It data that our DVR uses and the TVDB that Plex uses to match recordings to things. I can create a workaround if I learn of a recurring one, and then there's others that can't be correct (e.g: documentaries on NGC that use their documentary title in the guide, but are an episode of the series "National Geographic Documentaries" on TVDB). The core problem is that Plex just doesn't show content if it can't get a poster and recap summary for it, and I had to make a home videos library of our recordings folder in case someone records something that isn't matched.

Emby, at least, shows placeholder icons and links to everything in the folder even if it can't match it to a program. Which is basically all I needed.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Huh...they've released a docker image with official support.
https://github.com/plexinc/pms-docker
http://forums.plex.tv/categories/docker

That's cool. I think I'll be migrating my Plex VM over at some point I think, and while at it, migrate the internal DB/data outside of the VM. Going to have to wait for FreeNAS 10 to stabilize though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I went to the docker website and all I read was a bunch of mumbo jumbo that meant nothing to me. What are the benefits of Plex supporting docker? What use case is it for?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

teagone posted:

I went to the docker website and all I read was a bunch of mumbo jumbo that meant nothing to me. What are the benefits of Plex supporting docker? What use case is it for?

It depends entirely if you find Docker, or more specifically Docker's application deployment features, useful or not. If you don't or you don't know what Docker is then you don't care. If you use Docker for Application VM hosting then you do. It's pretty binary.

If all you are really doing is running a Plex server at home then you don't care unless you want to get in to the whole Docker scene for multiple reasons.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

teagone posted:

docker is just a really nice way of packaging apps. If you run something like unraid you can do a 1 click install of plex (or whatever else has a docker image). It also makes cleanup a breeze because you can just delete the image and whatever directories are mapped and you're done.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

teagone posted:

Docker is kind of like a VM, so it can run basically anything, without the weight of a full virtual machine running on your system. It's good if your system doesn't have official Plex support, but does have docker.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

There's a preview release for PMS with native Intel Quicksync support: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/250946/plex-media-server-hardware-transcoding-preview-1-4-0

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Neat. That being said if intel quicksync support comes to Synology NASes then there was no reason for me to buy this T20 for a plex server. Oh well already have it now no reason not to use it. Need to figure out a way to fix the airflow since it likes keeping the drives toasty (45 to 52 celsius toasty). They're WD Reds so run hot anyway but poo poo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Horn posted:

docker is just a really nice way of packaging apps. If you run something like unraid you can do a 1 click install of plex (or whatever else has a docker image). It also makes cleanup a breeze because you can just delete the image and whatever directories are mapped and you're done.

Agreed, it is actually quite a bit cleaner than relying on system packages. They based it off of linuxserver.io's work, which is the one I have been using. Docker by design is intended to store your data / settings outside of the actual container, so if Plex seems to be acting up, three commands or so will completely blow it away and reinstall it. You could probably run multiple instances of it on a single system if you sorted out the networking.

It also autoupdates when the container runs, so you can just restart the container instead of manually updating the Plex package.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Just keep in mind that QuickSync is intended for speed over quality, and it shows based on all the complaints over image quality on those WD My Cloud Pro NAS boxes. It'll work, but you won't be impressed with the output if you're playing from good source files.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Atomizer posted:

Just keep in mind that QuickSync is intended for speed over quality, and it shows based on all the complaints over image quality on those WD My Cloud Pro NAS boxes. It'll work, but you won't be impressed with the output if you're playing from good source files.

Yeah, my primary systems all play direct, but when I'm away from home I don't have the cpu power to transcode and this would work in a pinch. With that said, it's not working on my QNAP nas out of the box. There's some discussion on the plex forum about it so I'm going to see how that plays out.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The cable company can't figure out what is wrong with my upload speeds. A tech just went home cause he couldn't figure it out. They are sending 3 engineers tomorrow morning. Did 2016 kill my neighbourhood's node?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Trip report: took all of four commands or so to seamlessly switch from the linuxserver.io Plex image to the official one. Didn't even need a rescan.