Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

JoelJoel posted:

Can you port from Koodo to Koodo?

You can port your number to a prepaid Koodo plan and then port your number back to the QC plan.

So the process would be to open a new line the regular way to get the QC plan with a QC number, Open a new prepaid account and port your current number to that plan which I believe should cancel your current Koodo plan, and then port your number from the prepaid account to the new QC account.

It sounds like a stupid process but I think it's the only way if you're already a Koodo customer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So now that Roam Like Home is available to every rogers plan, I really hope that they add something else to make the Share Everything plans better :( rogers you are just.....ugh....

JoelJoel posted:

Pixel looks great and all but that price tag is apple level stupid considering what phones sporting similar specs are going for.

Specs are worthless to compare in a bubble, the Pixel is the best Android phone ever made. Yes, the price is equivalent to iPhone, but if you can afford that it should be the number one choice.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

CLAM DOWN posted:

So now that Roam Like Home is available to every rogers plan, I really hope that they add something else to make the Share Everything plans better :( rogers you are just.....ugh....

Specs are worthless to compare in a bubble, the Pixel is the best Android phone ever made. Yes, the price is equivalent to iPhone, but if you can afford that it should be the number one choice.

Guess you missed my "power user on a budget" comment. And though I don't doubt it's one of the better phones ever made (having only read reviews and not played with it myself) paying about twice the price for a phone because it has a newer os and good voice commands is dumb.

Comparing its reviews, specs, and performance tests specifically to the oneplus 3's without considering price, yeah I'd definitely give it a bit of an edge. That edge isn't worth 500 bux, Imo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Guess you missed my "power user on a budget" comment. And though I don't doubt it's one of the better phones ever made (having only read reviews and not played with it myself) paying about twice the price for a phone because it has a newer os and good voice commands is dumb.

Comparing its reviews, specs, and performance tests specifically to the oneplus 3's without considering price, yeah I'd definitely give it a bit of an edge. That edge isn't worth 500 bux, Imo.

I did miss that comment. And it's worth it to me, to each his/her own. It's significantly better than oneplus phones. But yes, cost.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm still super happy with my 6p isn't that like way cheaper than a pixel now?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

^^^6p is an excellent phone and if you're on a budget you can't really go wrong with almost any flagship that's more or less a year old.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I did miss that comment. And it's worth it to me, to each his/her own. It's significantly better than oneplus phones. But yes, cost.

Probably not the place for this derail, but what exactly makes it significantly better than the oneplus 3? They both got rave reviews, they both perform similarly in processor tests, they both have top of the line cameras, they're both pretty similar in size, battery, and hardware (with the oneplus edging the pixel in ram, arguably camera, and battery life wile the pixel's slightly newer processor performs slightly better in all performance teats I've seen, and both sporting identical GPUs, nearly identical displays, and beyond the newer os and fancy voice commands the pixel sports, neither boasting any significant feature differences)

I agree that you can't just look at specs, but you're making it sound like I'm comparing a phone from a couple gens ago to a newly released flagship.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 20, 2016

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Switched over to the $50 Rogers Loyalty Plan. Well, atleast I think I did. I guess we'll see the next billing cycle. It's been years since I dealt with Rogers retention and I forgot how much of a pain in the rear end it is.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
LOL

ed: wrong thread

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 20, 2016

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

No

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Probably not the place for this derail, but what exactly makes it significantly better than the oneplus 3? They both got rave reviews, they both perform similarly in processor tests, they both have top of the line cameras, they're both pretty similar in size, battery, and hardware (with the oneplus edging the pixel in ram, arguably camera, and battery life wile the pixel's slightly newer processor performs slightly better in all performance teats I've seen, and both sporting identical GPUs, nearly identical displays, and beyond the newer os and fancy voice commands the pixel sports, neither boasting any significant feature differences)

I agree that you can't just look at specs, but you're making it sound like I'm comparing a phone from a couple gens ago to a newly released flagship.

I recommend giving the general Android thread a read, that topic has been discussed a lot there and I won't derail this further. You will get what you pay for, essentially.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

JoelJoel posted:

Oneplus is run by a pack of phenomenal idiots and support is poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Those other plans are no data. Do you really need to be incentivized to avoid those?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Those other plans are no data. Do you really need to be incentivized to avoid those?

I assumed that "plans that are not share everything" also included the enormous number of people who are on grandfathered plans, which obviously include data. Am I wrong?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What do you guys use for Internet in Ontario? I've been with Cogeco for over a decade and finally now they are starting to piss me off. Their speeds are bullshit that go by OOKLA speedtest. I noticed my upload has been throttled despite paying for unlimited 120/10. I'm afraid to go back to the dark side of Bell and Teksavvy speeds in my area seem slow but that could just mean they are honest since they use Cogeco.

loving Canada, man. :canada:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Housh posted:

What do you guys use for Internet in Ontario? I've been with Cogeco for over a decade and finally now they are starting to piss me off. Their speeds are bullshit that go by OOKLA speedtest. I noticed my upload has been throttled despite paying for unlimited 120/10. I'm afraid to go back to the dark side of Bell and Teksavvy speeds in my area seem slow but that could just mean they are honest since they use Cogeco.

I used Teksavvy when I lived in Barry, stuck with them here in Alberta. It's been very good, they just dropped their bills $2 because of distributor changes, which I appreciate. It's Shaw infrastructure, so ymmv I guess.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I'm with TekSavvy in Toronto. $89.95 + tax for 150/15, 400GB/mo. They don't offer that plan anymore, but you can get 100/10 Unlimited for $85.95/mo, or 100/10 400GB for 69.95 IIRC. Downloads are free 2am-8am so I just schedule bulk traffic there, a household of two heavy Netflix users and downloaders, we have a hard time approaching 400GB of usage but YMMV. You get to buy your own modem and they don't try to sell you on stupid piece of poo poo all-in-one gateways that suck. I've been with TSI long enough that I have a good rapport with their tech support people, they're very active on the TekSavvy forums on DSLReports forums, generally I enjoy being a TSI customer. But they're not for everyone, if you're not technically competent and know how to troubleshoot your own poo poo, you're going to find their customer support a bit lacking.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Housh posted:

Fido has what I think is a pretty good deal right now. I just switched from Start over to them.

https://www.fido.ca/pages/#/internet

It's 60/10 and unlimited bandwidth for $60/month. No contract, comes with a lovely free modem/router thing, and includes 3 free months. I'm in Toronto, so ymmv, but it looks like the speeds are as advertised in my testing.

That's half the speed of what you had before, so maybe the downgrade is too severe.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Pivo posted:

I'm with TekSavvy in Toronto. $89.95 + tax for 150/15, 400GB/mo. They don't offer that plan anymore, but you can get 100/10 Unlimited for $85.95/mo, or 100/10 400GB for 69.95 IIRC. Downloads are free 2am-8am so I just schedule bulk traffic there, a household of two heavy Netflix users and downloaders, we have a hard time approaching 400GB of usage but YMMV. You get to buy your own modem and they don't try to sell you on stupid piece of poo poo all-in-one gateways that suck. I've been with TSI long enough that I have a good rapport with their tech support people, they're very active on the TekSavvy forums on DSLReports forums, generally I enjoy being a TSI customer. But they're not for everyone, if you're not technically competent and know how to troubleshoot your own poo poo, you're going to find their customer support a bit lacking.
The best TekSavvy offers in my area is 55/10 Unlimited for $79.95. Bell is about the same. I guess it's time to move.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
If you want a wider audience for your question, there's a lovely Canadian Internet Thread, too!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I assumed that "plans that are not share everything" also included the enormous number of people who are on grandfathered plans, which obviously include data. Am I wrong?

It seems it does. That's very un-Rogers.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Aphrodite posted:

It seems it does. That's very un-Rogers.

1 step forward, 3 hour limousine ride back.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I was previously on the 6GB Super Plan from years ago and couldn't use RLH. Then I received a text a couple of weeks ago and it mentioned that I can now use it. (also saw some news online that Rogers is making it available for all plans)

I then switched to the $50 4GB "loyalty" plan and got another message that I could no longer use RLH. If I log in to the Rogers website, I can add it though. So who knows at this point.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Constellation I posted:

I was previously on the 6GB Super Plan from years ago and couldn't use RLH. Then I received a text a couple of weeks ago and it mentioned that I can now use it. (also saw some news online that Rogers is making it available for all plans)

I then switched to the $50 4GB "loyalty" plan and got another message that I could no longer use RLH. If I log in to the Rogers website, I can add it though. So who knows at this point.

Rogers delenda est

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
PM broke my cell plan due to miscalculated referral rewards (I never told them what caused it) and I had them fix my phone plan today. I think they fixed me good :smugdon:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Any decent data-only sim card service out there? I need it to fill the void of internet while I wait for Rogers techs to get off their asses.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Zigmidge posted:

Any decent data-only sim card service out there? I need it to fill the void of internet while I wait for Rogers techs to get off their asses.

Fido offers 3gb for $15/m promo ending Jan 10th.

Ed: virgin $10 /3gb :argh:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 5, 2017

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Situation resolved! All good here. :)

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 4, 2024

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Start here https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/how-to , keep records for everything you do going forward.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

JoelJoel posted:

^^^6p is an excellent phone and if you're on a budget you can't really go wrong with almost any flagship that's more or less a year old.

An android phone made by a third party will always be buggier than a google phone. The process of customizing android to run on a oneplus 3 requires oneplus programmers to write thousands of extra lines of code that will invariable add bugs. The next version of android is being developed on a pixel right now, even if oneplus releases android 8.0 one day after google releases it, the pixel will have several months more of testing and polish.

Sometime a 3rd party can add features, and fix bug in android but for the most part they make it more buggy and less secure.

Perplx fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 13, 2017

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Perplx posted:

An android phone made by a third party will always be buggier than a google phone. The process of customizing android to run on a oneplus 3 requires oneplus programmers to write thousands of extra lines of code that will invariable add bugs. The next version of android is being developed on a pixel right now, even if oneplus releases android 8.0 one day after google releases it, the pixel will have several months more of testing and polish.

Sometime a 3rd party can add features, and fix bug in android but for the most part they make it more buggy and less secure.

Cool. Guess I'm just jaded by how awful the nexus 6 was and the fact that, other than the 6p, the rest of the google phones I've used have been mediocre at best.

So far, smooth running since the op3 updated to nougat, but I'm sure the potential for problems down the road exist. I don't usually keep a phone for more than a year, so whatever.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Risky Bisquick posted:

Start here https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/how-to , keep records for everything you do going forward.
Thanks for this! I knew that the link was somewhere on the Internet, so this is really helpful. I've finally got in touch with someone at Koodo, but they just keep trying to pass me off onto other departments. I'll definitely be tracking every discussion that happens.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 14, 2017

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Any of you guys with cable get problems when the weather goes below zero? My drop comes from across the street so I have no clue if they will bury the line in the spring or what.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

wtf does that have to do with cellular

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Oops. Wrong thread.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

just open a ticket with your ISP and keep logs of drops/packet loss/etc until they're basically forced to send someone competent out, it's probably not the cold though

also. cellular.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

THC posted:

I am fairly happy with my 6GB Rogers plan but I rarely use more than half of it, and I often find myself camping in an area that only has Telus service, so lopping $20 off my bill while receiving better coverage would be p chill. Just saw this in the fine print though, is this typical?

quote:

Data usage is rounded up each session to the nearest 10KB.

Thought I'd revisit this now that I'm closing in on 3 months with Public. The cumulative effect of this rounding appears to be negligible. My phone reports I've used 11.1 GB and Public's self-serve page reports 11430 MB or 11.16 GB.

And yes, I did actually use almost my entire 12GB plan over the 3 months.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'm getting close (due to accidentally streaming AGDQ at Source quality when my WiFi was turned off :doh: ), how do you set it for three month increments, and not monthly?

Nexus 5 on Marshmallow.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

There's an iOS app called My Data Mgr that reads your device's reported data usage and lets you set custom billing cycles. I think there's an Android version too but there might be better ones.

For me the culprit was actually Twitter, if I don't count all the streaming I did on purpose. Those autoplaying videos chew up a lot of data.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

On Android it's built into the OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CLAM DOWN posted:

On Android it's built into the OS.

Monthly cycle only though; you can only set the changeover date.