Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
At least "stand the test of time" is the Civilization series' motto. Whenever you start a new game you get a spoken flavor text about your pick of leader that ends with "can you build an empire that will stand the test of time" so associating that phrase with Civ has something of a Pavlovian reflex appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
It would have been infinitely better to have put series' instead of individual titles but whatever

Doesn't stop the trash that came to steam post-won from piling on some of the worst candidates for each category.

Yeah I'm mad, I've gotta handful of vertebrae and a headful of mad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Xenaero posted:

It would have been infinitely better to have put series' instead of individual titles but whatever

Doom 3 didn't stand the test of time for poo poo.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Shadow Hog posted:

But yeah, the entire selection of games to reward is absolutely pathetic across the board. Villains most in need of a hug? The total sociopaths present in various Far Cry games and Borderlands 2, obviously. :wtc:

This is unfortunately the sort of thing that happens when you have voting results based entirely upon amounts. The popular result rarely coincides with what the sensible result should be.

edit: We actually ran into a bit of trouble with this with the Cacowards. A lot of people are thinking nominations actually matter and that X amount of nominations help push a mapset/mod towards a slot, when it really doesn't! The amount of push a thing get really doesn't mean anything to us. Well, except that I'm more likely to play it, but I know very little about mapsets so. :downsgun:

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 22, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Turns out having an electoral college of people who are supposed to know better doesnt work out all the time either

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

1999, technically, if you count the not-HD-Remaster version of Age of Empires II.

But yeah, the entire selection of games to reward is absolutely pathetic across the board. Villains most in need of a hug? The total sociopaths present in various Far Cry games and Borderlands 2, obviously. :wtc:

Being honest, I loved Vaas in FC3, the real actor videos they made before launch and until you killed him. After that the game went downhill but still one of my favourite villains and well, Handsome Jack is kinda cool too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Vaas was great purely because they changed the entire character to accommodate his actor's energetic performance. He was originally going to be a generic hulking dude, rather than a five foot hyperactive weirdo.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

site posted:

Turns out having an electoral college of people who are supposed to know better doesnt work out all the time either

Or Cacoward deciders.

See: Blade of Agony.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWmebVeUVI

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Or Cacoward deciders.

See: Blade of Agony.
The way I've heard it described, only one person on the Cacowards panel really REALLY liked BoA, but they kind of created the Cacowards so they had a little extra push.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

treat posted:

It's worth noting (is it?) that the finalists for the "Test of Time" category are:

TEAM FORTRESS 2
SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION® V
THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM
TERRARIA
AGE OF EMPIRES II HD

heh.

lol, pathetic

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

The way I've heard it described, only one person on the Cacowards panel really REALLY liked BoA, but they kind of created the Cacowards so they had a little extra push.

Yeah scuba steve has bad taste.

Like hell no I wouldn't show someone this as an example of the state of doom modding in 2016. I don't understand why you would.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

poptart_fairy posted:

Vaas was great purely because they changed the entire character to accommodate his actor's energetic performance. He was originally going to be a generic hulking dude, rather than a five foot hyperactive weirdo.

Took me a few episodes of Better Call Saul before I realised the Cartel guy that Mike deals with is the actor who plays Vaas.

They didn't just change his appearance to accommodate him, he looks just like the actor.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah he's in those live action vignettes dressed as him and its basically live action Vaas.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yay Michael Mando, direct from Quebec :canada:!

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

treat posted:

It's worth noting (is it?) that the finalists for the "Test of Time" category are:

TEAM FORTRESS 2
SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION® V
THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM
TERRARIA
AGE OF EMPIRES II HD

heh.

There's no NO AWARD vote either.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Hey PSA: Quake and its missionpacks are REALLY cheap right now on GOG. Also on Steam when that comes back up.

In honor of a few more people getting into Quake I put together a "singleplayer starter pack" that could help get over the hump with that, especially when it comes to playing custom content. It includes the Simple Quake Launcher, the Mark V engine, a commented autoexec.cfg with some examples, and lots of readme files on different topics.

Also there's some batch scripts for easy install of: music soundtrack files, DOPA, Arcane Dimensions, and about 25 other highly-rated things from Quaddicted. I wanted to keep the initial download tiny (< 2 MB) and you can select what else you'd like it to download+install for you.

You can gander at the top-level readme file here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11690738/temp/README_FIRST.txt

And the pack itself is here: http://www.eclecticmenagerie.com/jl/quake/quake_sp_starter_pack.zip

This is not the be-all end-all "Quake for dummies" but I think it turned out nice. At this point I think it will be the thing I use myself in the future when I need to bootstrap a new Quake install.

=====

Caveat: this has been tested a bit on various systems but not by a ton of people. And my personal testing has only been done on Windows 10.

The "ez-install" process has a potential gotcha for 4 of these mods if you're using Windows 7 (or earlier) and don't have .Net 4.5. The ""maps_and_mods/1_installing.txt" file has details about that. There's a manual workaround (i.e. extract the downloaded zipfile yourself) that shouldn't pose a challenge to anyone reading this thread.

If you do give this I try I'd appreciate feedback about what works or doesn't work, especially w.r.t. the installer scripts, and any corrections for the readme files. You can PM me if you don't want to clutter up this thread.

Also if you're not a Windows user, obviously the various programs and batch scripts here are not for you, but the readme files should still have some good info in them. I included a "not_windows.txt" readme with some pointers to alternative tools too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool! Hop on that stuff anybody who hasn't, Quake rocks.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
inorite?

I'm just now getting around to playing DOPA myself, using Winquake Mark V for extra grit. I love the pure crunchy Quakeness of it. Some well-thought-out map topography and architecture and combat setups in there, all done with a level of restraint. It's a great companion piece to AD's extravangance.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I literally just started playing Quake again the other day so this is great! Ill let you know how it turns out.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What is the best thing to play from the last two Cacowards? I don't have time for more. :(

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

What type of maps do you generally like?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turin Turambar posted:

What is the best thing to play from the last two Cacowards? I don't have time for more. :(

Ancient Aliens.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I kind of like having the "test of time" award be for games 10 or so years old, because if it is notable for longer, it is not in dispute.

Turin Turambar posted:

It's a gimmick set, but "going down" is a fun map set and good with gameplay mods. EDIT and it's exactly 3 cacoawards ago, so drat.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

fishmech posted:

Ancient Aliens.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Well this is neat looking Icarus lives did a doom mod madness of "Return of the Triad"

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Erkatanne

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FAMUzUwRfI

I don't think this has ever been posted in here, so have some good music!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

will that new Quake engine work with the Steam version? Or should I go and dig out my Quake CD

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Yeah you just need the pak0.pak and pak1.pak files from any Quake installation. Steam, GOG, old CD, whatever.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Aces High posted:

will that new Quake engine work with the Steam version? Or should I go and dig out my Quake CD

As the readme says, "move or copy your "pak0.pak" and "pak1.pak" files (Quake game data) into the "id1" folder". Those files you can grab from your Steam copy, browsing the local files.

Edit: Beaten.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like Ancient Aliens a LOT and only just finished it like a week ago. Very fun, leans pretty difficult later on ultraviolence and has some of the most imaginative maps I've seen in a while.

On a semi related note, how often do other people in this thread was? I tend to just do it periodically throughout most maps i play because especially on the larger ones I don't feel like getting 10 minutes into a map and then die because I got locked in a room with like 4 cybers and have to go another 10 minutes before i can even try again. I see people call it savescumming though so I wonder if people really do go saveless into maps because I think that's fuckin crazy. Then again I have a fondness for poo poo like Swim With the Whales that can get long and brutal at times so maybe I've just been trained.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Save whenever you want who cares what other people think it's not them playing the game

Personally I'll save scum like a motherfucker if I feel the situation calls for it I hate having to replay stuff

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I was more wondering how many other people don't because I think that's loving crazy playing without saves. Except maybe the smaller maps like some scythe 1/2 maps.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I stopped caring and started typing "resurrect" on the console. Y'ALL CAN'T BRING ME DOWN, HELLSPAWN

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Unless you're playing Blood or Daikatana with gems turned on, you can save scum any game that gives you the option to do so.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
After each tough fight and before each platforming section.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Depends on how the wad's been so far. If the maps are long or have a habit of throwing a lot of crappy underhanded tricks at you I'm quicksaving like a motherfucker. Hellbound was a huge example of that; that one loved springing Archviles at you in open rooms or having tough enemies immediately in your face around a corner, and those maps were massive.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

I get very upset when the resurrect command doesn't work in quake, I abuse it too much in doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I mostly just don't play wads that I'd feel like I have to savescum through, I tend to not find it enjoyable.

(I will savescum x-com games but only to the starts of missions. Or if something TOTAL BULLSHIT happens like an enemy teleporting into the middle of my squad.)