Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//15653-Star-Citizen-Alpha-260

And only like 6 months late :downsbravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Just read the verbal ejaculation in the comments of the RSI 2.6 site and you tell me you seriously doubt that CIG will survive 2017 lmao.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

IMPORTANT ISSUES

in a loving release patch

:downsbravo:

If the patcher doesn't work, try a VPN....

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

It seems they've updated their privacy policy

Anyone want to run it through a comparison thing and see what they changed ?

Also it says they moved ?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

quote:

Star Marine loadouts can take 15-30 seconds to save to the database. If you proceed into the game right away, it will sometimes place you in the default loadout instead.

What the gently caress? I only know a little about databases, but this stood out to me as a really strange problem to have, I can't see how it would get so complicated that it takes 30 seconds to store the data.

EDIT:

quote:

If you find that your launcher has stalled with only a small quanitity of data remaining left to download, we recommend that you use a VPN to complete the download.

:psyduck:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

New on the RSI website.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Every mission is complete and has already been grey/white boxed.

Just quoting again because :newlol:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Moved? :confused:

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Wanna bet Amazon gave them a huge loan, and exchange forced them to use lumberjack?
Basically that means CIG is bought by a publisher LOL

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Why the gently caress would your loadouts take time to save?

Brno, here we come!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Wanna bet Amazon gave them a huge loan, and exchange forced them to use lumberjack?
Basically that means CIG is bought by a publisher LOL

Amazon has lots of money. But are they really that stupid ?

They even work with cryengine , I'm sure their developers are laughing at star engine

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Somehow broke something so badly that you need to VPN to finish. Recommends using a free VPN. Great plan for a broken patcher that uses 30+ GB at a time. 30+ GB over a free VPN sounds like an endless nightmare occurring at mid 1990's modem speeds.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Lol, a video explaining the Star engine/Lumberyard engine going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgaRd4d8hOY

That makes sense really if you look at it that way.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Get it out the door before Dec. 31st midnight.

Just do it!

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

Amazon has lots of money. But are they really that stupid ?

They even work with cryengine , I'm sure their developers are laughing at star engine

I highly doubt its an investment. Lumberjack is a " new " engine. I think its more a way to get free publicity and a market share.

oh man, poo poo this is yuuuge

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

XK posted:

Somehow broke something so badly that you need to VPN to finish. Recommends using a free VPN. Great plan for a broken patcher that uses 30+ GB at a time. 30+ GB over a free VPN sounds like an endless nightmare occurring at mid 1990's modem speeds.

suggested vpn has 500 mb data limit for free users

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

I gotta admit, its kinda odd none our insiders saw this coming.
Not even a hint.

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.

quote:

There is one other big announcement we would like to make with the release of 2.6. We are now basing Star Citizen and our custom technology development on Amazon’s Lumberyard Engine. Since the beginning of the project, we’ve had to make a huge number of changes to the CryENGINE code and tech to enable us to deliver Star Citizen. While the original CryENGINE had great strengths in many areas like rendering and cinematics the needs of our game were well beyond what came ‘out of the box’. So we have, over time, changed significant parts of the engine for our technology, such that only a baseline of the original engine truly remains. In the future we will continue to make significant changes to AI, Animation and Network code and systems.

When Amazon announced Lumberyard back in February 2016, we were immediately interested. While based on the same baseline technology as Star Citizen, Lumberyard is specifically designed for online games, utilizing the power of Amazon’s AWS Cloud Services and their Twitch streaming platform. Amazon’s focus aligns perfectly to ours as we’ve been making significant engineering investments into next generation online networking and cloud based servers. Making the transition to Lumberyard and AWS has been very easy and has not delayed any of our work, as broadly, the technology switch was a ‘like-for-like’ change, which is now complete.

As an added benefit Amazon AWS data centers are spread around the world from North America to South America, Europe to China to Asia Pacific, which will allow us to better support the many backers across the globe as we scale up Star Citizen.

Finally, Amazon has made Lumberyard freely available for anyone building their own game. That means that technically-inclined members of the community can have a better view 'under the hood' of our game than ever before. It's also a great path for anyone interested in game development professionally; I fully anticipate that in the coming year we will be hiring programmers who have taught themselves using Amazon's Lumberyard resources!

As we move forwards, we are confident you will see great benefits from our partnership. Amazon will bring new features to Lumberyard to assist in creating online persistent games, adding great support for their products like Twitch (which we use extensively) and of course investing heavily in engine research and development for years to come. We could not find a more stable and reliable engine partner than Amazon, so with this partnership we are sure we have secured the future development and continuing technical innovation for Star Citizen.

With that I would like encourage everyone to download and play Alpha 2.6. It is a lot of fun and I look forward to seeing you in the ‘verse!

Happy Holidays!

-- Chris Roberts

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:lol: CIG employees not named roberts or gardiner will be at work all weekend trying to keep 2.6 from imploding

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Lol :rip: Star engine.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Looking forward to Derek's take on the Lumberyard thing.

:allears:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Wait what.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

XK posted:

Clearly, it was all in his July blog!!!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

XK posted:

"called it :smug:"

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

lol they totally got bought by Amazon.
That's a loving salepitch lol

" we will be hiring nes programmers this year who thought themselves lumberyard "
The englne has barely been announced, loving lol.

"Q a sponsored messaged from our new overlords "
amazing ballz

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I gotta admit, its kinda odd none our insiders saw this coming.
Not even a hint.

That's probably because it's going to turn out not to be even remotely as big a change as everyone is talking about.

Some Citizen posted:

Or, part of the deal when Amazon paid to branch off the CryEngine was that any new projects built on CryEngine would be branded as Lumberyard instead.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Are they seriously changing engines and waited until Christmas Eve to make the announcement.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are they seriously changing engines and waited until Christmas Eve to make the announcement.

Seemingly already "done"

XK
Jul 9, 2001

There's no way this can be real. I went with just Star Marine running on it because the alternative was just too much.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

just look at the message. The whole sponsored comment part.

They will be hiring lumberyard programmers this years... THIS WILL NOT EFFECT THE GAME WHAT SO EVER.

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.

XK posted:

There's no way this can be real. I went with just Star Marine running on it because the alternative was just too much.

It's in the newsletter from cig...

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

So much for them inventing new tech :D

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

so if Lumberyard is just a fork of old cryengine and this is a "like for like" change that won't add any time, does that mean cig's heavily modified cryengine wasn't really modified at all?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Holy gently caress they actually went and did it. They switched to a new engine. :rip:

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
So how does Frankfurt now play into all this? Is their R&D now done on Lumberyard in partnership with Amazon? Does that mean CIG^s engine R&D is going to be funded by Amazon instead of CIG? Does that mean more ex-Crytek people are going to turn up working for CIG / Amazon.

Jeez, this is a mess. (it sounds like Chris Roberts works on his exit plan by getting a bail out by Jeff Bezos while staging his comeback for making bad movies...)

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 24, 2016

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
So are they gonna come clean for a third time about why they couldnt share that demo? Haha

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

so if Lumberyard is just a fork of old cryengine and this is a "like for like" change that won't add any time, does that mean cig's heavily modified cryengine wasn't really modified at all?

Ding ding ding, we have a winner

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Ahahaha and the circle is complete. New engine. Welcome to the Daikatana / DNF club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

No, Chris went on a 3 day coke bender and ported it all himself (with a little help from Sandi acting out how the code should go). The Man is a genius.

+42 to faith.

e:(Donald Trump said I don't have to pay taxes)