Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I've never seen L'Avventura but The Passenger is a cool slow arty Antonioni movie that doesn't feel like it comes up a lot.

That movie is pretty much flawless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ratedargh posted:

That movie is pretty much flawless

One of the best Jack Nicholson performances, for sure.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

According to Criterion Forum, another film Christopher Nolan has been pushing Warner Bros. to release or license is The Devils. A Criterion rep even said it would be a "dream" title to get.

Even with all the licensing going on, apparently what's keeping the film out of circulation is a specific person within Warner Bros. management that dislikes the film.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

According to Criterion Forum, another film Christopher Nolan has been pushing Warner Bros. to release or license is The Devils. A Criterion rep even said it would be a "dream" title to get.

Even with all the licensing going on, apparently what's keeping the film out of circulation is a specific person within Warner Bros. management that dislikes the film.

I didn't know the Pope worked at WB. I'd pay a lot of money for a Blu-ray restoration of The Devil's with the cut scenes intact. I've only seen a lovely DVD version that had the quality of a VHS rip.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gorman Thomas posted:

I didn't know the Pope worked at WB. I'd pay a lot of money for a Blu-ray restoration of The Devil's with the cut scenes intact. I've only seen a lovely DVD version that had the quality of a VHS rip.

Nah, the Vatican probably would be chill about it now.

Apparently, some douchebag at Warner Bros. keeps blocking controversial stuff because they think they're doing a public service by withholding certain films. :rolleyes:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

Nah, the Vatican probably would be chill about it now.

Apparently, some douchebag at Warner Bros. keeps blocking controversial stuff because they think they're doing a public service by withholding certain films. :rolleyes:

CriterionCast talked about this in an episode recently-ish, and from what I could glean The Devils is like, 1970s offensive, and would barely raise an eyebrow now, right? Even the cut content?

Am I wasting time by asking if the guy who's blocking this is 70+ years old?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I saw a cut of The Devils with pretty much all the footage that was ever censored and yeah, no, Life of Brian is a more blasphemous film. It's wild, crazy, and over the top (it's kind of excessive, a lot of scenes have galleries of people in the background screaming), but it's so absurd I can't imagine anyone being seriously offended by it.

Baby of Macon, on the other hand...

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

I wouldn't bet on that happening.

quote:

Now, let's talk about current events: in 2011 the British Film Institute was finally able to agree on a version for home theatre releases with Warner Bros. - this is actually a kind of miracle, since Warner rarely ever licence movies for third parties. The result is a 2-Disc Special Edition which is supposed to be released on 19th of March 2012 on DVD. However, there's a hook: not only did Warner forbid to release the movie on Blu-Ray, they additionally insisted on not using the 2004 reconstruction and especially forbid to show the "Rape of Christ"-sequence. As a consequence, the movie will be released in the regular British theatrical version - which at least still is longer than the US version - and Mark Kermodes documentary Hell on Earth (which will be included in the bonus features) actually had to be re-cut so that all the "inappropriate" material will not be shown.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/news.php?ID=3106

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

Never heard of this movie before, but some of the shots from the (very boringly cut) trailer looked fantastic. Really would like to see it now.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The Devils is blasphemous as gently caress I don't know what you guys are talking about. It'd be great to have it released though.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I guess it depends how seriously you take the stories in the Bible. It's a pretty standard issue religious frenzy movie, but cranked up to ten. I don't really know any religious people though so I don't have much of a barometer - if they can release Salo, they can release The Devils.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 20, 2016

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Looks like Barnes and Noble is having a 40% off Criterion sale right now.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence was not exactly the holiday cheer I was expecting based on the title.

Good flick though.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Amazon has the Mildred Pierce Blu-ray available for pre-order for $20.95.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Thanks! Ordered.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Raxivace posted:

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence was not exactly the holiday cheer I was expecting based on the title.

Good flick though.

I really love the soundtrack. The song Forbidden Colors, which is a vocal version of the theme song, is really good and amazing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cemetry Gator posted:

I really love the soundtrack. The song Forbidden Colors, which is a vocal version of the theme song, is really good and amazing.
I thought I'd hate the music at first but it really grew on me.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

And here's The Naked Island Blu-ray for $18.49. I jumped on this one.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Phone postin' but The Before Trilogy is down to $53~US on Amazon

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Cemetry Gator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgCuDrwTPns

I love this solo guitar version.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Happy New Year!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Fingers crossed that's Tampopo making some ramen at the table

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm guessing High Noon for the clock.

I count Sixteen Candles too. Maybe Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans for the window?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 31, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Criterion Super Mario Bros confirmed.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

They Live By Night!

and maybe I Am Cuba?

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 31, 2016

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Ghost World (whirled)

Hope they get Clowes to design the case.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Children of the Corn?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Could the klan member on the left mean Birth of a Nation?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Detective No. 27 posted:

Children of the Corn?

Stalker

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

FitFortDanga posted:

They Live By Night!

and maybe I Am Cuba?

Oh hey, you. I miss your blog.

edit: A Roman with a fanny pack. Caligula confirmed.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 31, 2016

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

TrixRabbi posted:

Oh hey, you. I miss your blog.

Thanks!

TrixRabbi posted:

edit: A Roman with a fanny pack. Caligula confirmed.

No, it's the Fanny trilogy (Fanny pack, Caesar, Marry-S)

They have a pretty good list of guesses over at cf.org. Mysterious Object at Noon is exciting.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
The chef is cooking with the D(hee)-pan

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Jeanne Dielman
Music in the Air

:shrug:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Jeanne Dielman is in need of a BluRay upgrade.

FitFortDanga posted:

No, it's the Fanny trilogy (Fanny pack, Caesar, Marry-S)

I was joking but this sounds cool.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Fanny and Alexander, maybe? Edit: NM that's already on Blu Ray.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Raxivace posted:

I'm guessing High Noon for the clock.

I count Sixteen Candles too. Maybe Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans for the window?

High Noon just got a loaded 4K remaster from Olive.
Fox's Sunrise is virtually the same as the MoC - two cuts, two scores, commentary, and other stuff

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Could the klan member on the left mean Birth of a Nation?

Flicker Alley will put out the 4K Photoplay restoration, which already got a U.K. BFI release.

FitFortDanga posted:

They Live By Night!

and maybe I Am Cuba?

I Am Cuba is Milestone and they just started working on a new restoration for Blu.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Cloks posted:

Ghost World (whirled)

Hope they get Clowes to design the case.

I can take the German import off my Amazon list.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Anyone here got the Arrow Video bluray of DePalma's Sisters?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Anyone here got the Arrow Video bluray of DePalma's Sisters?

I do. What question(s) do you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

VoodooXT posted:

I do. What question(s) do you have?

Do you have it?