Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Oh for god's sake. Amazon got a peek of CIG's 3.0 revolutionary networking code and wants to bring it in house to improve the cloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
"We'll have the most open game development in history, you'll know exactly where your money is going"

*Proceeds to port the game over to a new engine for a year in secret*

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
The way how this is communicated after being in the works for more than a year - taking into account how more than a dozen monthly newsletter concealed this partnership going on - boggles my mind. open development my arse.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
No it won't. Clouds are still computers and not magic.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

VengerTL posted:

Ah I kinda get it now, I have never heard of lumberyard before this. All new water to me.
Any one here worked with lumberyard and knows more details about it?

https://gamedev.amazon.com/forums/index.html

It is a playground and infant right now, but it should be a matured platform at the time SC is finishing Beta Status :classiclol:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

6 months late, Star Marine is full of gently caress and the only new Star Citizen gameplay is one new quest. Oh, and a bar. I hope these content locusts aren't too hungry because they'll have to make do for 2017.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hopefully with my Prime membership I'll be able to stream SC and get two day free shipping on jpegs.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

From Discord:

thedereksmart - Today at 7:59 PM
just got this:

Hey, hi I'm following you since a good amount of time and thanks for everything, the patch 2.6 is now live as you should already know, but something strange happened on their website. On the voyager store where people can buy stuff with in game credit a good amount of missile were "sold" for free for something like 5 minutes. I was able to purchase 1000 item (the cart limit) the amount is estimated as 33,200,000 uec. As for 1000uec = 1$ I bought for 33,200$ of free stuff. I hope I was clear on what I'm trying to say as I'm not a native american-english speaker.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/hr6txd91ghvyur/source/SC-And-Lumberyard-FINAL.pdf

Official PR

Also David showing off his PR skills... talking about Amazon, Lumberyard in a CIG PR but only putting the about sections in for CIG.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

sorla78 posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/hr6txd91ghvyur/source/SC-And-Lumberyard-FINAL.pdf

Official PR

Also David showing off his PR skills... talking about Amazon, Lumberyard in a CIG PR but only putting the about sections in for CIG.

Theyve been switching the engine for 'over a year' not a peep. Yea Im sure it was super easy and didnt delay anything you lying gently caress.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, why is everyone assuming they switched engines because of a single promotional picture? Wouldn't it be more reasonable to assume they are using that engine to make said pictures/videos because it's not a complete clusterfuck and they don't need "localized physics grids" and "fake realistic newtonian thrusters"?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

ComfyPants posted:

From Discord:

thedereksmart - Today at 7:59 PM
just got this:

Hey, hi I'm following you since a good amount of time and thanks for everything, the patch 2.6 is now live as you should already know, but something strange happened on their website. On the voyager store where people can buy stuff with in game credit a good amount of missile were "sold" for free for something like 5 minutes. I was able to purchase 1000 item (the cart limit) the amount is estimated as 33,200,000 uec. As for 1000uec = 1$ I bought for 33,200$ of free stuff. I hope I was clear on what I'm trying to say as I'm not a native american-english speaker.

If that's genuine then that guy should get a nice refund from that :lol:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

MeLKoR posted:

6 months late, Star Marine is full of gently caress and the only new Star Citizen gameplay is one new quest. Oh, and a bar. I hope these content locusts aren't too hungry because they'll have to make do for 2017.
BEHOLD!
The most open development pushed out 2.6 (while The Agent said 2.5 might me the last patch for a long time, proved wrong AGAIN :smuggo: ) today, we read about exclusive pcgames pics and footage AND the lumberjack bomb launched....
All TODAY, CIG Cult vs Goons + Derek = 3:0 in the last hours alone....
And we have still a weak left in 2016 and YOU claim content may be postponed?
Stop spreading FUD please :catbert:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Seems about right

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
WTF, I must have missed the link to the official CIG statement. I'm reading the article mentioning it but it doesn't link it.

Help.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

MeLKoR posted:

WTF, I must have missed the link to the official CIG statement. I'm reading the article mentioning it but it doesn't link it.

Help.

CIG Press Release

And the newsletter:

quote:

There is one other big announcement we would like to make with the release of 2.6. We are now basing Star Citizen and our custom technology development on Amazon’s Lumberyard Engine. Since the beginning of the project, we’ve had to make a huge number of changes to the CryENGINE code and tech to enable us to deliver Star Citizen. While the original CryENGINE had great strengths in many areas like rendering and cinematics the needs of our game were well beyond what came ‘out of the box’. So we have, over time, changed significant parts of the engine for our technology, such that only a baseline of the original engine truly remains. In the future we will continue to make significant changes to AI, Animation and Network code and systems.

When Amazon announced Lumberyard back in February 2016, we were immediately interested. While based on the same baseline technology as Star Citizen, Lumberyard is specifically designed for online games, utilizing the power of Amazon’s AWS Cloud Services and their Twitch streaming platform. Amazon’s focus aligns perfectly to ours as we’ve been making significant engineering investments into next generation online networking and cloud based servers. Making the transition to Lumberyard and AWS has been very easy and has not delayed any of our work, as broadly, the technology switch was a ‘like-for-like’ change, which is now complete.

As an added benefit Amazon AWS data centers are spread around the world from North America to South America, Europe to China to Asia Pacific, which will allow us to better support the many backers across the globe as we scale up Star Citizen.

Finally, Amazon has made Lumberyard freely available for anyone building their own game. That means that technically-inclined members of the community can have a better view 'under the hood' of our game than ever before. It's also a great path for anyone interested in game development professionally; I fully anticipate that in the coming year we will be hiring programmers who have taught themselves using Amazon's Lumberyard resources!

As we move forwards, we are confident you will see great benefits from our partnership. Amazon will bring new features to Lumberyard to assist in creating online persistent games, adding great support for their products like Twitch (which we use extensively) and of course investing heavily in engine research and development for years to come. We could not find a more stable and reliable engine partner than Amazon, so with this partnership we are sure we have secured the future development and continuing technical innovation for Star Citizen.

With that I would like encourage everyone to download and play Alpha 2.6. It is a lot of fun and I look forward to seeing you in the ‘verse!

Happy Holidays!

-- Chris Roberts

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I hope CIG can still license out Star Engine and make income from that.

:ohdear:

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Amazon's engine, while an active fork of CryEngine, definitely doesn't have networking support for 1000 player instances and definitely doesn't have procedural generated stuff after only a few months of being an active fork. So RIP two main features of this scam.

CIG porting that in already is a complete lie, as that would fork the engine again and defeat the purpose of being on Amazon's platform. I'm sure ALL of Amazon's backend cloud tech requires you to be on the latest version of their official engine and not some custom crap you come up with. So basically they need to wait for Amazon devs to add any new features before they can be introduced into Star Citizen. ETA 2020 for poo poo promised in kickstarter, maybe?

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 24, 2016

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Merry Christmas star citizen thread, chris roberts just gave you the best present ever

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Something requiring a press release is something to keep secret and not tell the people that have given them 130+ million US dollars

Still want to know what the 'moving' part was all about in the privacy changes

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Just playing The Silent Age and this pops up...

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
OH. MY. loving. GOD!

IT'S TRUE!

Holy poo poo, I truly never believed they would do something like this. They just loving dumped the magical game engine that only the mind of Chris Roberts could design, millions of dollars, untold man-hours. Down the loving drain! Subsumption? Items 2.0? :laffo:

3.0 is never coming out with the features it's supposed to include. And these chumps will eat it all and praise the genius of the Croberts. It was all part of the plan, the Lord works in mysterious ways.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Rad Russian posted:

Amazon's engine, while an active fork of CryEngine, definitely does not have networking support for 1000 player instances and definitely doesn't have procedural generated stuff after only a few months of being an active fork. So RIP two main features of this scam.

CIG porting that in already is complete BS, as that would fork the engine again and defeat the purpose of being on Amazon's platform. I'm sure ALL of Amazon's backend cloud tech requires you to be on the latest version of their official engine and not some custom crap you come up with. So basically they need to wait for Amazon devs to add any new features before they can be introduced into Star Citizen. ETA 2020 for poo poo promised, maybe?

Woah, a Goon with RUSSIAN in his nickname wants to tell us that Chris Roberts is not telling the truth?! How DARE you? :argh:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Star Citizen: Twas the night before Chris mess and all throu.... HEY NEW ENGINE

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

ripptide posted:

Wasn't it at Gamescon (or ShitizenCon) that they were still touting their great StarEngine? So basically, they're admitting they lied about what they were developing, or they're lying about the transition already being done. Either way, normal CIG.
or it really wasn't that hard, like shoveling a pile of poo poo out of an old car and into a new car

it's still a car full of poo poo

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm loving dying here. Un-loving-believable! This is about the only thing that could have surprised me at this point, and they dropped it on Christmas eve. :laffo:

These people are shameless, and truth be told... why not? The chumps that are left will eat anything.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Mr.PayDay posted:

Woah, a Goon with RUSSIAN in his nickname wants to tell us that Chris Roberts is not telling the truth?! How DARE you? :argh:

I get my paychecks straight from Putin. Just doing my job bringing down the greatest threat to the Russian gaming industry. Russian games are no longer the buggiest and most broken in the world! That must be stopped.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Star Citizen: At first, only Ben's shirt was LUMBERJACK. Now the engine is, too

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

These people are loving delusional

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So would this also explain the no show of SQ42? Also being "ported" to Lumberjack?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
This is me, IRL, right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPcod8IS214

Hahahaha, this truly is a Magical Chrismas.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

MeLKoR posted:

OH. MY. loving. GOD!

IT'S TRUE!

Holy poo poo, I truly never believed they would do something like this. They just loving dumped the magical game engine that only the mind of Chris Roberts could design, millions of dollars, untold man-hours. Down the loving drain! Subsumption? Items 2.0? :laffo:

3.0 is never coming out with the features it's supposed to include. And these chumps will eat it all and praise the genius of the Croberts. It was all part of the plan, the Lord works in mysterious ways.
i have the feeling that one of the two parties in this "partnership" is going to get boned

either amazon finds out that cig is a bunch of amateurs run by an idiot man and they're gonna spend a ton of time and money holding cig's hand

or

cig will find out that there's a huge catch to this deal, like amazon's cloud services cost way more than they can afford, lumberyard can't be twisted to do what they want to do, and/or amazon has some sort of ownership of the things created with lumberjack that severely restricts cig's freedom to sell their game

or maybe all of the above and we're all gonna need more popcorn for 2017

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

ComfyPants posted:

that certainly is a guess lol

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Something tells me the ticket database is going to be a purgin' on the 3rd

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Ash1138 posted:

i have the feeling that one of the two parties in this "partnership" is going to get boned

either amazon finds out that cig is a bunch of amateurs run by an idiot man and they're gonna spend a ton of time and money holding cig's hand

or

cig will find out that there's a huge catch to this deal, like amazon's cloud services cost way more than they can afford, lumberyard can't be twisted to do what they want to do, and/or amazon has some sort of ownership of the things created with lumberjack that severely restricts cig's freedom to sell their game

or maybe all of the above and we're all gonna need more popcorn for 2017

My hypothesis:
Crobbers made this because a partnership with Amazon puts CIG in a more serious business light to be more attractive to investors while the pledges dry out because to few content patches the next 1-2 years.

The divorce from crytek was just a benefit but not main motivation.
The pcgames exclusive leak is just a complementary sales pitch here.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

the ele really was the engines life expectancy.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

ComfyPants posted:

This would actually explain why they couldn't develop a working patcher (which all games have) for 5 years now. Croberts was busy re-writing Amazon Cloud's netcode during his lunch-breaks and weekends. Truly a genius of our generation.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Pgabz! Looking forward to watch some 2.6. Commando Tom hilarity :pgabz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless